PDA

View Full Version : Rem 1100 Tactical & reduced recoil loads?

Beat Trash
06-30-08, 12:28
I am looking at the 22" barreled Remington Tactical shotgun.

Anyone have any experience with this gun? I am very interested if anyone has shot one with reduced recoil 00 Buck loads? If so, was it able to function with these loads?

Buck
06-30-08, 13:15
yes, and yes... It may have to be tuned to the load you want to use, but it can / does work very well...

B

Beat Trash
06-30-08, 17:29
Thanks

ARin
07-06-08, 20:56
i have an 18.5 inch 1100 tactical.
Will not run with reduced recoil buck.

Buck
07-06-08, 23:22
i have an 18.5 inch 1100 tactical.
Will not run with reduced recoil buck.

It should run like a champ... You may need to tune it a little... What power recoil spring do you have in it??? Have you checked the O ring for wear???

B

ARin
07-07-08, 11:44
no clue what power spring is in it. whatever the factory spring is.

as for the oring, shouldnt be a problem, because i have less than 50 or so shells through it.

Firecop203
07-07-08, 14:10
It should run like a champ... You may need to turn it a little... What power recoil spring do you have in it??? Have you checked the O ring for wear???

B

"Turn it" or did you mean "tune it"? How do you do that?

mew
08-06-08, 15:58
mine won't run with reduced recoil loads. it says on the barrel "not intended for light loads".

chapperjoe
08-25-08, 11:31
mine worked with Remington gun club loads 100%, haven't tried reduced recoil buckshot yet.

Ultra light trap loads worked as long as you had a firm grip on the shotty - give it ANY slack and they didn't eject.

blackscot
08-25-08, 11:52
I have the very similar 11-87, with a 21-inch rifle-sighted barrel.

Very reliable with everything other than the lightest low-brass field loads. AA and up are a non-issue.

As far as 00, I've used only full power, but I would think any buckshot should be fine, even reduced-recoil. Just keep the O ring and outside of the mag tube wiped off and you're good.

Regarding tuning, some people will monkey with enlarging (drilling out) the gas ports to increase gas impulse and thereby enable use of lighter loads, but I wouldn't recommend it. For one thing, whenever you do use any heavier loads, they will just be that much more punishing. In addition -- and probably more important -- there are other factors that go into the overall cycling, such as timing. If not properly understood and accounted for, you could end up with the proverbial boat anchor. Best to leave such work to a pro. Better yet, just buy a gun correctly configured for your particular needs.

Of course, a pump will always cycle anything/everything, so long as you never short-stroke.

Iraqgunz
08-25-08, 15:48
I had the same issue with my 1100 years ago. My understanding is that with the coming out of the 11-87 most of those ammo problems were solved and they are supposed to be very reliable shooters now. I also had a Beretta 1201FP that I acquired in a trade with a guy for 15 new pre-ban Glock mags (during the AWB years :D) and it would also not work with reduced recoil/ tactical loads. Beretta assured my there was "no problem", but there was. Since then I stick with the Remington 870 pump.

no clue what power spring is in it. whatever the factory spring is.

as for the oring, shouldnt be a problem, because i have less than 50 or so shells through it.

luxor
08-25-08, 18:59
Take the gun out and run 100 or so high power loads though it. Then take it apart, clean it and change the o-ring.

Also run the gun wet, lube the hell out of it, o-ring and all. It will run if you do this. Ask me how i know :D

blackscot
08-26-08, 06:48
......Since then I stick with the Remington 870 pump.

"When it absolutely -- positively -- has to get there......"

......Also run the gun wet, lube the hell out of it, o-ring and all. It will run if you do this. Ask me how i know :D

Interesting. I had always heard to keep the O ring and outside of the mag tube dry -- that it'll just crud-up quicker if lubed. I've always followed this approach without a problem, but then I wipe it off after every several dozen rounds or so. How many rounds can you digest between cleanings using the wet approach?

I miss my old 870 though. Might just sell or trade-in the semi-auto to get one back.

luxor
08-26-08, 17:56
blackscott,

I have shot about 200 or so rounds though it before i check the o-ring again.

I shot the CTI this year, no problems. Last year i shot the NC Recon match then some of the blackcreek matches before i touched it.

When i see you again, i will let you check it out.

blackscot
08-27-08, 05:58
.....200 or so rounds though it before i check the o-ring again.

I shot the CTI this year, no problems. Last year i shot the NC Recon match then some of the blackcreek matches before i touched it.

Obviously a reliable weapon.

.....When i see you again, i will let you check it out.

Sounds good.

......I miss my old 870 though. Might just sell or trade-in the semi-auto to get one back.

I looked at a few 870's at Greentop yesterday on the way home from work, then re-fondled my 11-87 as soon as I got home for comparison. I think I'll hang on to the 11-87 for now. Have it pretty nicely set-up, and from a practical standpoint can't really picture anything that would perform better: it has an eight-round capacity, good rifle sights, and interchangeable chokes. Oh yeah, and it's semi-auto......

Admittedly, a pump would have a distinct cultural appeal -- kind of like revolvers do for me over auto pistols -- but wouldn't surpass the 11-87 as far as getting the job done. Kind of like my Glock 19 that way.

old grunt
10-08-08, 16:13
BlackScot: Is your 11-87 set-up from the factory like you have it or did you tweak it?? The 1100 Tactical only shoots 2 3/4" shells so that's a sacrifice, BUT the write up it got recently in a G&A personal Defense magazine was stellar. I'm looking for the "poor man's assault weapon". The PMAW in my opinion has to be 100% reliable on Walley World purchased shells or the best tactical from Federal or Winchester. It needs GOOD sights, a dull "military-type"finish with a composite(non-wood)stock, sling swivels. That's what I'm looking for. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Also I prefer a Remington auto as far as brands go. Thanks

uscbigdawg
10-08-08, 23:29
My 1100 has been tuned up by Briley and me and it runs everything. I really don't run it any longer since I upgraded to a Benelli.

That said, it doesn't take much to get them to gobble everything, but it is a labor of love. Here's a short list of goodies that are in the group of goodies to consider done:

- Trigger job
- Open up gas ports
- Keep the gun clean!
- Polish the magazine tube (Ionbond'ing it is even better)
- Powder graphite on the tube
- Replace O-rings liberally
- KEEP THE GUN CLEAN!!!
- Keep the action well lubed
- Keep the gun CLEAN!
- Lastly, scrub those gas ports and keep the gun clean!

I have my own lube and cleaning tricks for this. I'm not saying they're gospel but they work and it runs Fiocchi Reduced Recoil everything. Basically, get the Briley Remington port cleaning brush and use liberally. After everything is good and clean, lightly spray some Corrosion-X in the trigger group, receiver area and bolt group. On the mag tube, powdered graphite.

Rich

blackscot
10-14-08, 07:33
BlackScot: Is your 11-87 set-up from the factory like you have it or did you tweak it?? The 1100 Tactical only shoots 2 3/4" shells so that's a sacrifice, BUT the write up it got recently in a G&A personal Defense magazine was stellar. I'm looking for the "poor man's assault weapon". The PMAW in my opinion has to be 100% reliable on Walley World purchased shells or the best tactical from Federal or Winchester. It needs GOOD sights, a dull "military-type"finish with a composite(non-wood)stock, sling swivels. That's what I'm looking for. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Also I prefer a Remington auto as far as brands go. Thanks

Old grunt -- my 11-87 is basically as-from-factory. It originally came as a deer gun: regular 4-round mag tube and a very handsome set of walnut stocks. I added a 3-round mag extension, replaced the stocks with synthetic, and added a simple sling as the only mods. The 21-inch rifle-sighted barrel with interchangeable choke, and the matte phosphate finish, remain as from the maker.

It cost me ~$600 from a local dealer about one year ago. As stated above, it is absolutely reliable with any defense-appropriate loads. It also equally handles the mid-to-heavy field loads (AA and up), but so far not the very light stuff (Wally bulk-box). Maybe a little further running in might help, and I've been storing it with the bolt retracted to maybe loosen the recoil spring a bit.

chapperjoe
07-10-09, 07:32
A thread-from-the-dead update: I've been putting thousands of rounds through my 1100 tactical (22" version).

Over this time, it has never cycled the reduced recoil federal 00 buckshot with flightwad.

Std remington buckshot works 100%

It does cycle light skeet loads though as long as your stance is good.
(I have a young'in I bring with me to shoot skeet, he often has FTE's with the skeet loads that cycle 100% for me.)

I've seen a similar phenomenon with an old Browning A5 as well.
My friend inherited one.
Function seems to be more dependent on a good stance than any particular ammo.