PDA

View Full Version : Quality fiber optic Glock sights

jahwarrior1423
01-06-15, 21:58
Who would you guys consider quality fiber optic sights?

And what height sights do you guys recommend?

Have a G19 that I carry and also use for hunting at times.

tonyxcom
01-06-15, 22:05
I like Warren and 10-8. Front sight height is highly dependent on your particular gun. With a .250 rear, most sight sets will come with a .215 front (for G19/17 or other of that size frame/slide) and I believe that should be POA/POI at 25y for most Glocks. G34 sets tend to come with .230 or .245.

If you buy a set of Dawson sights from Dawson they have some kind of guarantee that they will swap sights or even make one for you to get a perfect zero.

wtturn
01-06-15, 22:09
Taran Tactical.

mizer67
01-07-15, 08:52
To the OP - the height of the front sight is dependant on the rear used. Usually, they'll tell you in the literature how tall it needs to be, but they normally come with a front that will zero most guns. However, if your gun is shooting off call from the factory, Dawson Precision has a good graphic that shows the formula you need to determine the correct sight height for your front.

Sights are personal preference, but I like the Dawson's myself. They can rust, but other than that they have few negatives, IMO. The F/O rod is recessed and therefore well protected. Dawson's F/O rod is thin so you're not getting a lot of blooming that obscures the top of the front sight. Also, the F/O rod is set nearer the top of the F/S than a lot of other makers, so even if you're driving to the dot at speed (since that's what your eye is drawn to) you won't be low with your shots.

As far as widths, I've come to like a narrow rear and narrow front. For example a .125" rear paired with a .100" front. This gives a good balance of speed and accuracy and the narrow front gives more precision at distance, for me. YMMV. Again, it's personal preference. For years I shot a .145" rear and a .125" front because I wanted a tritium front. Still worked well.

paperchasin
01-07-15, 09:09
I've used both Dawson and TruGlo no problems.

jahwarrior1423
01-07-15, 09:18
I'm looking at Dawson, taran, and warren now...

Dawson does have a good replacement warranty to get the best zero...

teutonicpolymer
01-07-15, 10:46
I like Dawsons with fiber front and serrated black rear

Rear: .250T and .135N
Front: .230T and .115W

Works well for 25 yards but the height really depends on your specific gun

glocktogo
01-07-15, 11:17
Dawson Precision here. I like the .100" width front sight. Height depends on zero.

Coal Dragger
01-07-15, 12:19
I don't have a Glock, but I do have a set of Dawson's on my HK45. I used their zero guarantee and they backed it up, didn't even make me send in the original front sight. Now I have two, so I can make sight adjustments if I change my normal load.

jahwarrior1423
01-07-15, 14:23
Liking Dawson...

What height should I get for a G19?

And do you guys like the rear sight to have FO or just go plain rear sight?

tonyxcom
01-07-15, 14:37
Plain rear. I would start with a .215 front for a 17/19.

Coal Dragger
01-07-15, 14:38
Mine is a plain serrated black rear sight, and it works for me. In bright light that FO rod gets freaking bright. With that in mind having FO in the rear sight seems like it would be distracting to me.

For front sight height there is no way for me or anyone else to tell you. If you order a sight set from Dawson you will get their package front and rear sight, and that is what they base their zero guarantee off of. Since their rear sight may be taller or shorter, or any other rear may be taller or shorter you're going to have to put them on and see where the gun hits.

If you don't want a Dawson rear sight, order the rear sight of your choice and install it first. Then see how much difference in front sight height you need compared to the stock front sight with the aftermarket rear of your choice.

mizer67
01-07-15, 14:59
Liking Dawson...

What height should I get for a G19?

And do you guys like the rear sight to have FO or just go plain rear sight?

What height front you need depends on how tall the rear sight is, as well as where your pistol is zeroed now.

The standard rear sight height for the Dawson "Charger" and "Competition" sights is .225". This is paired with a .205" tall front sight to zero, if your pistol is zero'ed right now. If it's not shooting where you want you'll need to do the calculation to determine how much to add or subtract to get it to zero.

I don't like F/O in the rear, more distracting than helpful.

They tell you what you need for each choice on the website, as well as how to determine what front height you need to get your pistol to zero.

jahwarrior1423
01-07-15, 15:34
I called Dawson and they said any of the Glock sets should zero for my G19

Teolax
01-07-15, 21:48
I like my Warren Tacticals, but also really like the Trijicon HD's.

BooneGA
01-07-15, 22:22
I have used many different sight set ups for all of my Glocks. By far my favorite one is Dawson Adjustables.

Rick

Steve2237
01-07-15, 22:23
Another vote for Warrens

jahwarrior1423
01-08-15, 12:34
I'm stuck between warren sevigny rear with a Dawson front or just a Dawson set.

Warren has a .150 notch so I am unsure what width Dawson to go for the front?... .115 maybe?

And for the Dawson set, unsure if I want the competition ( .135 rear with .105 front) or Carry ( .125 rear with .105 front)?

tonyxcom
01-08-15, 14:05
You are just going to have to choose something. Pistol sights are a highly personal thing. Most shooters haven't tried every option so they can only tell you what they know from what they've tried. And 5 shooters trying to the same 5 sight pictures can choose 5 different choices.

If you go with Dawsons, get what they recommend for the type of shooting you do. Then go from there. You aren't gonna find the perfect sights the first time. And your preferences are likely to change as time goes on, but you need to start somewhere to get a frame of reference.

You can get a Warren Comp or Tactical set on Lanbo's Armory for $60 shipped. Those use .250h .150w rears and .215h .115w fronts. The difference is the shape of the rear sight. I think this is a good place to start your frame of reference.

bighawk
01-08-15, 14:41
I Have the RB1/10-8 sights on my glock carry gun which has a tritiub front and the same setup on my M&P carry gun with fiber optic front
First fiber optic sight and really liking it. Going to put them on all my other glocks and M&Ps

teutonicpolymer
01-08-15, 23:11

Warren has a .150 notch so I am unsure what width Dawson to go for the front?... .115 maybe?

And for the Dawson set, unsure if I want the competition ( .135 rear with .105 front) or Carry ( .125 rear with .105 front)?

I stand by my .135 and .115

The HD competition is a good sight. It is kind of dehorned but it does have a flat face in back so that might get a little snagged if you are drawing. There are 2 height categories for it and the taller one may be less desirable for concealment since it is easier to snag but it does make the sight picture better.

It is honestly up to you. There are so many possible combinations that you need to just figure out what you want out of the sights then decide based on that otherwise the options become overwhelming.

mizer67
01-09-15, 20:25

Do you want more light for quicker FS acquisition or less light for more precision?

The differences are slight.

jahwarrior1423
01-09-15, 23:21
Quick shots...but at times I use this handgun for hunting. But I only hunt with it 1x a year...

Apexer1
01-11-15, 05:36
TTI, or Sevigny with the narrow notch rear sight.

urbantactic
01-11-15, 13:58
I prefer Dawson Precision. I have tried the 10-8 Performance sights, and had a heck of time fitting them. I had to file the 10-8's down considerably, which resulted in quite a bit of finish being removed from the back sight.