PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Beretta 92G-SD.

opmike
01-07-15, 17:51
Taken from the BUSA Facebook page:

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/elliott6229/ggt.jpg

SteveL
01-07-15, 18:01
I think I'll opt for this over the M9A3.

RAM Engineer
01-07-15, 19:14
Any hints of shipping dates and/or approximate price?

rathos
01-07-15, 19:42
they don't have details right now but have a page to leave your info so you can know when they are ready and price:

http://info.beretta.com/92GSD

Sam
01-07-15, 20:06
Somebody is going to ask, what's the difference between the G-SD and the FS? LOL

JBecker 72
01-07-15, 20:37
Nice!

Kain
01-07-15, 21:08
Nice!
I am happy to see Beretta has removed head from ass and brought back/start to produce, gun people have been wanting. Now I am in a quandary though. Which one to get?

JBecker 72
01-07-15, 21:12
So does anybody want to buy a 92A1 that had about 800 rounds through it and was bought 2 months ago?

brushy bill
01-07-15, 22:55
Bought the non-Wilson / non-Inox Brigadier. Will probably buy one of these too. I don't want a standard M9/92 Beretta, but the Brigadier slide reassures me the slide isn't going to break.

opmike
01-08-15, 03:28
So does anybody want to buy a 92A1 that had about 800 rounds through it and was bought 2 months ago?

With the M9A3 and G-SD on the horizon...I'll give you $250 for it :p

Eurodriver
01-08-15, 05:42
Somebody is going to ask, what's the difference between the G-SD and the FS? LOL

I'll ask! Suppressor ready?

RAM Engineer
01-08-15, 06:33
I wonder if this will have the M9A1 frame, with beveled mag well, checkering, etc.

Also, I'm not up on my 92G-SD info. What barrel did it use before? Length, material, finish, etc?

Sam
01-08-15, 07:11
I wonder if this will have the M9A1 frame, with beveled mag well, checkering, etc.

Also, I'm not up on my 92G-SD info. What barrel did it use before? Length, material, finish, etc?

The M9A1 IS a decendant of the G-SD so yes, the new G-SD will retain the beveled mag well and checkering. It use the standard full length barrel, stainless steel painted black and recessed crown on the muzzle.

Tarheel55
01-08-15, 07:59
This is great news. The frame with a 92A1 type rail and decocker instead of a safety is a great combo.

JBecker 72
01-08-15, 08:14
With the M9A3 and G-SD on the horizon...I'll give you $250 for it :p

I'll dump it on an unsuspecting friend for $500 most likely.

Eurodriver
01-08-15, 09:06

LOL

So what's the answer?

You know, for those of us with lives outside of the Beretta Space Time Continuum.

KalashniKEV
01-08-15, 09:25
I'll ask! Suppressor ready?

SD = Special Duty

LOL

So what's the answer?

You know, for those of us with lives outside of the Beretta Space Time Continuum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92G-SD/96G-SD

Sam
01-08-15, 10:18
LOL

So what's the answer?

Search for Grant's post on the 92G-SD
:-)

Eurodriver
01-08-15, 10:43
I have read that, the reason for my confusion was in part because I thought the 92G was the 92G-SD. Hence when I saw the specs I was like "What's the difference?"

I thought a 92G-SD was just a 92G (with the SD equipment, that I know now) for use with suppressors.

Trajan
01-08-15, 12:12
SD = Special Duty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92G-SD/96G-SD

Super Dave (Harrington).

Snake
01-08-15, 16:49
TAKE MY MONEY!!!

TAKE IT!!!

TAKE IT ALL!!!!!

Finally, a Beretta I'll actually want to buy and use.

Kain
01-08-15, 16:55
I'll dump it on an unsuspecting friend for $500 most likely.

Not too bad really. $500 used when they are running about what$600 or there abouts new?

Speaking of price, any clue on the price of the 92G-SD? Also, just skimmed the thread, any clue if this going to be a limited run or a regular item for them now? I have been wanting another Beretta to take over general duty one belt and house gun and would like two so would be nice to know if I need to sell someone's kidney now or if I will have time to save up properly.

legumeofterror
01-08-15, 17:25
Bought the non-Wilson / non-Inox Brigadier. Will probably buy one of these too. I don't want a standard M9/92 Beretta, but the Brigadier slide reassures me the slide isn't going to break.

You know how many slides broke before the GAO/Beretta addressed the issue? Fourteen. Only three of those were in the field, the other 11 were in a lab where they fired pistols until the slide broke, specifically trying to induce the failure. The slide breaking thing is overstated.

http://gao.gov/assets/220/210461.pdf

samuse
01-08-15, 21:25
I'll sell some 45 ammo and a Glock 19, throw in some cash and buy two of these. Just like I bought two of the 92Gs when they came out a couple of months ago.

I like this better than the frilly Wilson 92.

brushy bill
01-08-15, 23:34
You know how many slides broke before the GAO/Beretta addressed the issue? Fourteen. Only three of those were in the field, the other 11 were in a lab where they fired pistols until the slide broke, specifically trying to induce the failure. The slide breaking thing is overstated.

They "addressed" it by making sure the slide didn't strike you in the putz if/when it broke. They did not keep it from breaking in the first place however. I didn't read the entire report, but if you are stopping the count at 14, I promise there were additional slides that cracked after this report was published.

jedi391
01-09-15, 09:33
They "addressed" it by making sure the slide didn't strike you in the putz if/when it broke. They did not keep it from breaking in the first place however. I didn't read the entire report, but if you are stopping the count at 14, I promise there were additional slides that cracked after this report was published.

I think the point is that it's an extremely rare event that is pretty statistically insignificant.

KTR03
01-09-15, 14:21
I think the point is that it's an extremely rare event that is pretty statistically insignificant.

Everything has a service life and everything breaks... I broke a Glock slide and then sheered the lug off of the bottom of a Glock barrel. I still have a bunch of Glocks. I have a Wilson Brigadier Tactical and its a beefy pistol. Can't imagine I'll be able to afford enough 9mm ammo to get that thing to break.

D

jedi391
01-09-15, 17:07
Everything has a service life and everything breaks... I broke a Glock slide and then sheered the lug off of the bottom of a Glock barrel. I still have a bunch of Glocks. I have a Wilson Brigadier Tactical and its a beefy pistol. Can't imagine I'll be able to afford enough 9mm ammo to get that thing to break.

D

Can't imagine you'll be able to afford enough 9mm ammo to get a standard 92 slide to break either.

dookie1481
01-09-15, 21:42
Nice!
I am happy to see Beretta has removed head from ass and brought back/start to produce, gun people have been wanting. Now I am in a quandary though. Which one to get?

I met with a Beretta rep today. It sounds like they are planning on bringing back the Elite, Brigadier, and obviously the SD.

dookie1481
01-09-15, 21:46
Not too bad really. $500 used when they are running about what$600 or there abouts new?

Speaking of price, any clue on the price of the 92G-SD? Also, just skimmed the thread, any clue if this going to be a limited run or a regular item for them now? I have been wanting another Beretta to take over general duty one belt and house gun and would like two so would be nice to know if I need to sell someone's kidney now or if I will have time to save up properly.

Limited run. Quantity unknown.

dookie1481
01-09-15, 21:47

Limited sample size and all, but I have personally sent back 3 in the last year form a rental range.

w3453l
01-12-15, 17:51
I met with a Beretta rep today. It sounds like they are planning on bringing back the Elite, Brigadier, and obviously the SD.

Do you know which Elite they are bringing back? And a follow up question:

Am I right that the Elite 1A is just a 92G-SD with a Vertec frame, and different hammer?

dookie1481
01-12-15, 18:58
Do you know which Elite they are bringing back? And a follow up question:

Am I right that the Elite 1A is just a 92G-SD with a Vertec frame, and different hammer?

He did not say. I am not too familiar with the Elite series, so someone else will have to comment on that.

SteveL
01-19-15, 10:28
Posted on Beretta's Facebook page this morning.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/995440_10152683045077877_7409144976958983903_n.jpg?oh=f38879493387d36665030f39f8f0e117&oe=5568148F&__gda__=1429048838_11c65a8dd4da5b1c3fad977ce9942e39

colt191145lover
01-19-15, 11:53
Any word if they have any plans to bring back the Centurion?

foxtrotx1
01-19-15, 12:54

Worrying about the beretta slide breaking is silly. Even if it was going to break, a simple "tuning fork" type test will let you know if the slide is cracked and soon to fail.

brushy bill
01-19-15, 15:27
Worrying about the beretta slide breaking is silly. Even if it was going to break, a simple "tuning fork" type test will let you know if the slide is cracked and soon to fail.

Not worried, but neither is the issue non-existant or limited to a grand total of 14 pistols.

Firefly
01-19-15, 18:02
I'm not the biggest Beretta fan, but I simply cannot wait for the 92G SD. I had a 92G Vertec and like a total fool, I stupidly traded it for a rifle I likewise traded off. I can live without the vertec grip, but that really was a slick pistol.

And I want to track down an Eagle SAS holster for it while I'm at it.

Sam
01-21-15, 19:09
The Beretta rep at SHOT said the MSRP will be around $1300.

w3453l
01-21-15, 19:32
Isn't that what the WC model was going for?

I really wasn't expecting $1300; the Brigadier FS models were around $700 weren't they? The 92G's I looked at last time were under $600, so I thought $800 - $900 seemed more realistic for the G-SD, but $1300?

RAM Engineer
01-21-15, 20:04

They're smoking crack. Another collector gun that won't see use.

samuse
01-21-15, 20:17

They're smoking crack. Another collector gun that won't see use.

I don't see how it could possibly warrant being $700 more than an M9A1. It has dovetailed night sights and G instead of FS.

Not gonna buy at that price.

Plato
01-21-15, 20:17
Not surprised at that msrp. The brigadier at my local turners is going for $799.99 before tax and DROS.

SteveL
01-21-15, 20:38

That was Beretta code for "Steve won't be getting one after all."

robotoid
01-21-15, 20:42
No kidding, I can't see it being double the price of a standard model 92FS or 92G.

PD Sgt.
01-21-15, 20:45
Particularly when the Wilson Combat Brig Tac comes in several hundred below that price, and with added features such as all steel components.

Sam
01-21-15, 20:50
MSRP doesn't always equal actual street selling price.

vereceleritas
01-21-15, 21:11
I don't see how it could possibly warrant being $700 more than an M9A1. It has dovetailed night sights and G instead of FS.

G-SD's also have a blackened stainless steel barrel with target crown, Brigadier slide, checkered front/back straps as opposed to serrations, and a beveled mag well. So considering that they don't share the same frame, slide or barrel with the M9A1/92A1 and coupled with the limited production, the G-SD's won't benefit from the same economy of scale as the regular 92 line. All that being said, I'm also disappointed in the MSRP and won't be buying one unless street prices are closer to $1000.

vereceleritas
01-21-15, 21:15
Particularly when the Wilson Combat Brig Tac comes in several hundred below that price, and with added features such as all steel components.

The WC Brig Tac is $1195. I'm not seeing where you're getting "several hundred below" from.

Timbonez
01-21-15, 21:18
MSRP doesn't always equal actual street selling price.

It rarely does, but that MSRP is signigicantly higher than the MSRP on other Beretta models. The added features on the G-SD don't seem to warrant the inflated priced compared to lesser models. Even at 80% of the MSRP of this gun (I find 80%-90% is pretty common when buying a gun) is still $1040.

MSRP on the M9A1 is $745. So what do we get in the G-SD that is worth $555 more?

Timbonez
01-21-15, 21:27
G-SD's also have a blackened stainless steel barrel with target crown, Brigadier slide, checkered front/back straps as opposed to serrations, and a beveled mag well. So considering that they don't share the same frame, slide or barrel with the M9A1/92A1 and coupled with the limited production, the G-SD's won't benefit from the same economy of scale as the regular 92 line. All that being said, I'm also disappointed in the MSRP and won't be buying one unless street prices are closer to $1000.

The M9A1 and G-SD use the same frame. M9A1 frames are checkered and beveled. The Brigadier is back in production so the slide isn't unique to just the G-SD. G models are back in production as well, so that isn't unique to the G-SD. So how is combining these already available parts, adding nights, cutting a more pronounced crown, and blackening the barrel worth all that extra money?

The limited production Wilson Combat Brigadier Tacitical comparably priced and arguably a better value because of the non-standard small parts (enlarged mag release, fluted guide rod). So arguing that it is a limited run doesn't pass the common sense test either.

Plato
01-21-15, 22:06
The M9A1 and G-SD use the same frame. M9A1 frames are checkered and beveled. The Brigadier is back in production so the slide isn't unique to just the G-SD. G models are back in production as well, so that isn't unique to the G-SD. So how is combining these already available parts, adding nights, cutting a more pronounced crown, and blackening the barrel worth all that extra money?

The limited production Wilson Combat Brigadier Tacitical comparably priced and arguably a better value because of the non-standard small parts (enlarged mag release, fluted guide rod). So arguing that it is a limited run doesn't pass the common sense test either.

The Brig Tac ended up being the biggest bargain of 2014 for me it appears!

brushy bill
01-21-15, 22:13
That was Beretta code for "Steve won't be getting one after all."

Same code for me.

Exiledviking
01-21-15, 22:32

That's nucking futs! How can an M9A1 frame, a Brigadier slide, a blackened stainless match barrel, a decocker only setup, and night sights add up to that much money?

I am planning on buying one, but I will have a very hard time justifying it IF it's above $1100.

Makes me think that the hare brained idea I had last fall of buying a new M9A1 and a new Brigadier, swapping slides, and selling the Brigadier frame with the M9A1 slide wasn't such a crazy idea after all...:fie:

vereceleritas
01-21-15, 22:55
It rarely does, but that MSRP is signigicantly higher than the MSRP on other Beretta models. The added features on the G-SD don't seem to warrant the inflated priced compared to lesser models. Even at 80% of the MSRP of this gun (I find 80%-90% is pretty common when buying a gun) is still $1040.

MSRP on the M9A1 is $745. So what do we get in the G-SD that is worth $555 more?

Yep, I was wrong about the frame being different. Used G-SD's were going for $1200+ on Gunbroker last year. Beretta could be basing their pricing off of that for all we know. While I agree that the alleged MSRP is high, if street price ends up being 80% of that, I'll probably let emotion get the best of me and buy one anyway. It's been my dream Beretta for a while.

For comparision's sake, does anyone recall the MSRP of the originasl 92 and 96 G-SD's?

RAM Engineer
01-21-15, 22:55
I hope the MSRP of the M9A3 is closer to sane levels. I was hoping for a 92 Renaissance, but we won't see these things lining the holsters of IDPA shooters with the marketing strategies I've seen so far.

Sensei
01-22-15, 00:21

I predict that market forces will bring the street price down a bit lower than the Wilson Brigadier Tactical - eventually. Afterall, the Wilson product is essentially an enhanced G-SD with steel parts, good sights, and excellent grips. I was lucky enough to get one from Wilson within a week of announcement. I have no problem drinking from that well again if Beretta cannot meet a competitive price point.

JBecker 72
01-22-15, 07:44
$1300? Disappointing news there.

RAM Engineer
01-22-15, 08:41
I predict that market forces will bring the street price down a bit lower than the Wilson Brigadier Tactical - eventually. Afterall, the Wilson product is essentially an enhanced G-SD with steel parts, good sights, and excellent grips. I was lucky enough to get one from Wilson within a week of announcement. I have no problem drinking from that well again if Beretta cannot meet a competitive price point.

The Wilson BT also had extensive machining on the front of the frame (rail/trigger guard), a refinish and a trigger job. In additional, Wilson essentially served as the pilot line for spooling up for making Brigadier slides again (along with the recent FS Brigadiers).

92FS Brigadier MSRP: $899
M9A1 MSRP: $750

Where does the extra $400-$500 MSRP come from? Is there extensive hand fitting? Trijicon sights maybe account for $100 of that. Maybe another $100 if the barrel is THAT different, but it's probably just their INOX barrel with a crown and black finish.

opmike
01-22-15, 11:43
The trigger job on the Brig Tac was optional. Mine shipped with a trigger worse than my box stock 92FS.

I'm 99% sure this G-SD will be made right beside Beretta's other 92s without any extra "hand fitting" and such. What a fustercluck if it ends up being cheaper just to get another Brig Tac if we want a second/backup gun.

Gary1911A1
01-22-15, 15:41
To
Yep, I was wrong about the frame being different. Used G-SD's were going for $1200+ on Gunbroker last year. Beretta could be basing their pricing off of that for all we know. While I agree that the alleged MSRP is high, if street price ends up being 80% of that, I'll probably let emotion get the best of me and buy one anyway. It's been my dream Beretta for a while.

For comparision's sake, does anyone recall the MSRP of the originasl 92 and 96 G-SD's?

That's my guess too. Beretta is just going to sell them at what they think the market will bear. I'm just glad to have an EliteII.

Sensei
01-22-15, 20:26
The trigger job on the Brig Tac was optional. Mine shipped with a trigger worse than my box stock 92FS.

I'm 99% sure this G-SD will be made right beside Beretta's other 92s without any extra "hand fitting" and such. What a fustercluck if it ends up being cheaper just to get another Brig Tac if we want a second/backup gun.

I assume that yours shipped without the D spring like mine. My trigger improved to 9lbs DA and 4 lbs SA with the proper spring.

As for the pricing, I expect that the Brig Tac will be a competitive value when the G-SD is first released. However, wait times may influence people's buying decision.

YVK
01-22-15, 22:04
Unlike BrigTac, which I would buy, if I wanted that gun, without expecting market price adjustment, I would wait on a 92 G-SD purchase. This is dependent on a projected volume of this G-SD release though.

recon
01-22-15, 23:30
Any word if they have any plans to bring back the Centurion?

I wish they would! I had one of those 92D Centurions. Great pistol!

opmike
01-23-15, 13:11
I assume that yours shipped without the D spring like mine. My trigger improved to 9lbs DA and 4 lbs SA with the proper spring.

No, my issues were with the D spring installed. Pull weight wasn't the problem, it was the ridiculous amount of grittiness and creep in SA.

ramairthree
01-23-15, 14:11
It is so painful with Beretta.
For years they have not gotten what the market wants for pistols.
Now, the execute releases that are more painful for thinking they get it.

Yes, we want the 92G-SD. But not at a WC price without the all metal parts, etc.

We want the Brigadier, they bring it back out but only in FS mode.

We want G models. So they bring out a standard frame G model. Not an EII or M9A1 frame like we want.

And they do it with the shitty outdated slide, not a Vertec or Brig slide.

And they bring back the Vertec with an FS model.

They bring back the INOX Brig, with black plastic parts and in FS mode.

Would it be that hard to put a Vertec or Brig G mode upper on an EII or M9A1 Frame?

Vgex2
01-23-15, 14:48
I concur. I don't understand why they just don't seem to give a sh**. If they are going to take the time to bring out limited production models, and least give us the ones we asked for. I keep waiting to want to buy a Beretta pistol again, but every time I get the urge, I look at what their offering, then disregard them. I want, in order: G/Dovetail/Rail, G/Vertec (implies dovetail/rail), or G/Brigadier/Rail (again implies dovetail). Is any one of the previous too much to ask? the WC and soon to be released 92G-SD is out of my budget, with the latter being overpriced, in my opinion.

RAM Engineer
01-23-15, 15:21
They need to slim their entire full-size lineup down to three models:

1. M9/92 with M9A3/Vertec slide. (standard grip, no rail, dovetail sights)
2. M9A1 with M9A3/Vertec slide. (standard grip, rail, dovetail sights)
3. M9A3. (Vertec Grip, rail, dovetail sights).

With the M9A3 slide, you get FS/G conversion ability. With the new grip adapters, you could really even delete #2 above and go to two models. Produce the heck out of these, and get some economy of scale, while freeing up manufacturing capacity for Centurion and compact versions of 1 & 3.

samuse
01-23-15, 17:19
That makes a lot of sense and would cover a lot of bases.

I would buy the hell outta #2.

w3453l
01-23-15, 19:49
Sorry to side track, but what exactly is different about the Vertec slide? I thought the Vertec only differed in the frame/grip area with the upper slide assembly being the same as other 92?

I know the difference with the Brigadier slide; I just did not know there was something specifically different about the Vertec slide.

Back on topic: I saw mention in another forum that msrp was going to be $1200, and they would be available in the next few weeks. Now I know $1200 and $1300 isn't a huge difference, and it could have been a typo. But maybe they don't have the final msrp "set in stone" so to speak?

brushy bill
01-23-15, 20:43
Sorry to side track, but what exactly is different about the Vertec slide? I thought the Vertec only differed in the frame/grip area with the upper slide assembly being the same as other 92?

I know the difference with the Brigadier slide; I just did not know there was something specifically different about the Vertec slide.

I have asked this same question with no response. I think the vertec slide allows dovetailed front sight and is flatter on top, but I don't know if there is any other difference.

Vgex2
01-23-15, 23:25
Vertec slide has dovetailed front sight and may be slightly heavier (negligible?) than the regular slide, but lighter than a Brig slide. Many would like the dovetailed front sight without the extra mass of the Brigadier. Also, you may need a specific slide stop for the wider Brig slide, making the Vertec slide a little more user friendly if you want to swap uppers with a regular 92FS or M9.

YVK
01-24-15, 01:04
There is 0.6 to 0.9 oz difference between Brig and Vertec slides, depending on sources. Mine are 0.6. Bill Wilson reported almost one ounce between Vertec and Brig Tac.
Vertec fits in FS holsters, Brig doesn't.

ramairthree
01-24-15, 04:14
They need to slim their entire full-size lineup down to three models:

1. M9/92 with M9A3/Vertec slide. (standard grip, no rail, dovetail sights)
2. M9A1 with M9A3/Vertec slide. (standard grip, rail, dovetail sights)
3. M9A3. (Vertec Grip, rail, dovetail sights).

With the M9A3 slide, you get FS/G conversion ability. With the new grip adapters, you could really even delete #2 above and go to two models. Produce the heck out of these, and get some economy of scale, while freeing up manufacturing capacity for Centurion and compact versions of 1 & 3.

Number one needs EII frame. (this way you get checkered grip, beveled mag well in a non railed frame)

I used to prefer the Brig slide, was not sure why EL preferred the Vertec. Then I realized his genius. Fits in same holsters as regular slides.

All of the three options need to be able to be converted to G.

RAM Engineer
01-24-15, 08:42
Number one needs EII frame. (this way you get checkered grip, beveled mag well in a non railed frame)

Good idea. I forgot about that. Or we could go a step farther and ask for a non-railed M9A3 frame.

I used to prefer the Brig slide, was not sure why EL preferred the Vertec. Then I realized his genius. Fits in same holsters as regular slides.

My thinking as well. Lots more legacy holsters available and only marginally less durable than the Brigadier slide.

All of the three options need to be able to be converted to G.

M9A3 Vertec slide has that capability inherently.

YVK
01-24-15, 09:12

Ernest prefers the Vertec because of a lighter slide.

ramairthree
01-24-15, 11:23
Ernest prefers the Vertec because of a lighter slide.

I thought they were a fraction of an ounce heavier than a regular slide, but worth it in comparison for easy to change front sight.

ramairthree
01-24-15, 11:23
Good idea. I forgot about that. Or we could go a step farther and ask for a non-railed M9A3 frame.

My thinking as well. Lots more legacy holsters available and only marginally less durable than the Brigadier slide.

M9A3 Vertec slide has that capability inherently.

Exactly. I think all their slides should incorporate that modification.

IZinterrogator
01-24-15, 21:03
I am glad that Beretta hasn't talked about a 96G-SD, which keeps mine relatively rare. Of course, thanks to the lack of holsters available for the G-SD with a light mounted, mine is relegated to nightstand duty only.

That being said, I would snatch up a model with a Vertec G slide, an M9A1 frame, and a full-length barrel the second it was announced for sale. I haul around a 92G for carry sometimes, but it is crying out for night sights and a light.

K.O.A.M.
07-08-15, 05:26
Kind of a necropost, but I purchased one off Gunbroker for $1029. Should be here Friday. Once I get it, I'll see what plastic parts they put on it and get replacements from Wilson.