PDA

View Full Version : Looking to build C7A3 clone. Also ?'s

Pinski1015
01-07-15, 20:04
Been an AK guy for a while and am just now wanting to get into the AR world. Shot many, many different AR's from off the shelf M&P's to Noveske and DD rifles.

What I've found works best for me is a 20in Barrel as I shoot them better and they just balance better to me. I would like to build a C7A3 clone but understand that some of the parts are proprietary to Canada.

So I guess my questions are Where to Start? I was thinking either a BCM or PSA upper and a BCI defense lower. What about rails? Not interested in any Mlok or Keymod type stuff, so besides the good old KAC system whats out there? Will I have to buy an A5 kit from Vltor to get a collapsible stock to work? A good BUIS is a must as well.

Any help provided will be greatly Appreciated, Thank You!!

Sean W.
01-07-15, 20:22
Id just stick with the two piece rifle length plastic handguards and buy a 20" BCM upper with an A2 profile. You can also get a BCM Tri Rail that attaches to the front sight. I know MI makes rail sections that attach to the holes in the handguard as well. As for BUIS I think only Diemaco makes them and the closes looking ones are Daniel Defense's rear BUIS. C7's use Colt's Fiberite stocks which are difficult to find, you could use one from M&A parts.

Pinski1015
01-07-15, 21:18
Id just stick with the two piece rifle length plastic handguards and buy a 20" BCM upper with an A2 profile. You can also get a BCM Tri Rail that attaches to the front sight. I know MI makes rail sections that attach to the holes in the handguard as well. As for BUIS I think only Diemaco makes them and the closes looking ones are Daniel Defense's rear BUIS. C7's use Colt's Fiberite stocks which are difficult to find, you could use one from M&A parts.

Any reason I should go the route above other than weight savings? Money isn't a huge issue with this build and neither is weight. The rifle won't be used for any defensive purposes I just want a 20in AR with a collapsible stock and a quad rail which at it's simplest is a C7A3.

Pinski1015
01-07-15, 21:18
Double

Sean W.
01-07-15, 21:28
Any reason I should go the route above other than weight savings? Money isn't a huge issue with this build and neither is weight. The rifle won't be used for any defensive purposes I just want a 20in AR with a collapsible stock and a quad rail which at it's simplest is a C7A3.

No particular reason other than most C7's I've seen use plastic two piece handguards with a tri-rail at the FSB. If you want a quad rail I'd look at KAC and try to find some on EE or seconds on KAC's site.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/02/20/soldier-cp-w-5141713.jpg

Pinski1015
01-07-15, 21:43
I guess I should clarify that The A3 designation is a proposed upgrade to the A2

Sean W.
01-07-15, 21:48
Ah sorry I kept thinking of the A2. Is that the IUR version with the monolithic upper? I've never heard of an A3.

Pinski1015
01-07-15, 22:03
Ah sorry I kept thinking of the A2. Is that the IUR version with the monolithic upper? I've never heard of an A3.

No it uses a Kac rail or some Canadian rail. It's basically an A2 with a Quad rail

3 AE
01-08-15, 14:22
If free floating and lighter weight is not a requirement. It would be pretty hard to beat getting what Sean W mentioned. A KAC rifle length,drop-in, quad rail for only $150. Yeah, it's a seconds but it's KAC for Pete's sake! It will be GTG.

http://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM98065-S

Pinski1015
01-08-15, 17:53
If free floating and lighter weight is not a requirement. It would be pretty hard to beat getting what Sean W mentioned. A KAC rifle length,drop-in, quad rail for only $150. Yeah, it's a seconds but it's KAC for Pete's sake! It will be GTG.

http://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM98065-S

Are these the full kit they sell with the covers and Fore grip?

3 AE
01-08-15, 21:35
As per product description.

"Includes three KAC 11 Rib Rail Panels."

No vertical grip included.

BrigandTwoFour
01-09-15, 11:42
Been an AK guy for a while and am just now wanting to get into the AR world. Shot many, many different AR's from off the shelf M&P's to Noveske and DD rifles.

What I've found works best for me is a 20in Barrel as I shoot them better and they just balance better to me. I would like to build a C7A3 clone but understand that some of the parts are proprietary to Canada.

So I guess my questions are Where to Start? I was thinking either a BCM or PSA upper and a BCI defense lower. What about rails? Not interested in any Mlok or Keymod type stuff, so besides the good old KAC system whats out there? Will I have to buy an A5 kit from Vltor to get a collapsible stock to work? A good BUIS is a must as well.

Any help provided will be greatly Appreciated, Thank You!!

How much of a clone are you looking for? You are talking about doing what most of us call an M16A5, and a few of us have been playing with them for a bit.

Look for a BCM 20" government or a Colt if you can.

As far as handguards go, unless you need free float or a lot of rail estate, go with the Magpul MOE plastic ones. They are sturdy and very comfortable.

If you want a quad rail, then my choice depends on how much work you want to do.

KAC M5 RAS if you want a pure clone, and don't care about free floating. They're spendy, but can be found used for decent prices.
DD Omega 12" if you want to drop on a free float quad rail without having to otherwise modify the receiver in any way (and can go back to plastic handguards if you want). Slightly lighter than the M5.
Centurion C4 if you don't mind removing the delta ring assembly. Very slightly lighter (.1 oz) than the DD Omega.
DD Lite III or Omega-X if you don't mind removing the barrel and remounting with a new nut. A few ounces savings over any of the other options.

If you don't care about cloning look at all, then I would go with 20" BCM and 13" KMR.

You don't need an A5 kit, but it significantly smooths things out (the A5 was specifically designed for 20" rifles). The Army has been playing with what they call the H6 configuration, which is a standard carbine buffer tube and "H6" weighted buffer. It seems to work OK for them.

Here are some pics of one of my rifles that is along the lines you're looking to do. BCM 20" government upper, A5 kit with EMOD. One pic with Magpul MOE handguards and one with DD Omega 12.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/cJTymDDvEjWrhsOgYCFjPlbenKvs1r_g40LlfW5QAPU=w1052-h592-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oxbum2xjMS4/VJYBHdAXChI/AAAAAAAACMo/BXnfuvx4HBY/w508-h677-no/IMG_0214.JPG

No matter which route you choose to go, it's a very fun gun to shoot. Mine has become my favorite.