PDA

View Full Version : Chris Costa.....Japan....AirSoft....

Whiskey_Bravo
01-08-15, 12:31
Uhhmmmmm.... uh yeah.... Costa, Air Soft, Cat Walk, Japan. I don't know what else to say. Tactical Air Soft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3CxkhMVva4

C-grunt
01-08-15, 12:41
What the **** was that?

markm
01-08-15, 12:43
What in the Muther Fudge???

Whiskey_Bravo
01-08-15, 12:44
What the **** was that?

Your guess is as good as mine, but that is a first for me. I can't say I have ever seen a tactical cat walk before. double you tea eff

Belloc
01-08-15, 12:48
It's..., it's..., beautiful! And he turned left! (sort of)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9O6q0pDAU

jmoney
01-08-15, 12:55
Speechless. Utterly speechless.

skijunkie55
01-08-15, 12:57
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/855/35xyux.jpg

Idc if he can kick my ass on the shooting range, irl, whatever. This is the internet, and that was by far the most retarded thing I've seen today.

markm
01-08-15, 12:59
All this said, if they paid me enough, I'd put on some gay jeans and flit up and down the runway like a idiot too. :sarcastic:

docsherm
01-08-15, 13:01
Wow!.........Is he going to teach the "runway" in his classes from now on? :suicide:

SilverBullet432
01-08-15, 13:01
Times are tough. Money talks :sarcastic:

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-08-15, 13:04
That's it. I'm selling my Costa action figure and signed Frosty cup.

I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so

The sad fact is that he is still cooler than I am.

SteyrAUG
01-08-15, 13:24
I'm so pissed they didn't call me.

First of all I'd have rappelled from the roof onto the goddamn catwalk and I'd have been doing ninja rolls up and down the ****ing thing with my Tokyo Maru MP5 wearing Tiger Stripe BDUs like a deranged 1981 Stephen Hayes. When I was done and I walked back to stand next to the other performers, without warning I'd have garotted one of those ****ers.

But Noooooooo....they had to have fancy pants Chris Costa.

Grizzly16
01-08-15, 13:29
All this said, if they paid me enough, I'd put on some gay jeans and flit up and down the runway like a idiot too. :sarcastic:

There is truth in this that most are scared to admit.

KingsideRook
01-08-15, 13:42
Chris Costa is the only one here who's posed for press photos with a rifle prop. Every other shooting instructor refuses to have their photo taken in public, especially by multiple photographers at a trade show.

Good to know.

In all seriousness, if my name was my brand and business, and I were paid to be at a trade show, and there were a bunch of associated-industry photographers who would put my picture in their magazines or websites, enabling me to sell more parts, classes and t-shirts, thereby putting more money in my pocket - I would pose so hard and often that they'd have to kick me off the stage.

Leaveammoforme
01-08-15, 14:16
I'm not surprised at the interest due to the gun situation in Japan. Costa did seem embarrassed towards end of video, so that should be punishment enough. I fear he unwillingly started a new thing though. Tactical rap battle dance off 'you got served' competitions now available at your local gun club.

Eurodriver
01-08-15, 14:30
I have "No mediocre" by T.I playing in the background while I watched that.

Made it 1000x funnier.

Try it.

Voodoo_Man
01-08-15, 14:42
I mean, yea it looks crappy but hey, he's not a meat eater, he's a business man.

That's a smart business move.

No one is calling 50 Cent a sell out in the hood, he's just a dude playin the game....

SilverBullet432
01-08-15, 15:13
I have "No mediocre" by T.I playing in the background while I watched that.

Made it 1000x funnier.

Try it.

TI is a good rapper, that one lady (nice terms) is really annoying.

1911-A1
01-08-15, 15:19
He's growing his brand, which means following the demand and money. If Japanese airsofters want to pay you to come do your thing for them, you go. Simple as that. It's no different than any other high-visibility athlete in any sport.

He didn't seem to be his normal, jovial self, though. Maybe due to the language barrier and maybe because he'd really rather be doing something else and is just there to work.

TAZ
01-08-15, 15:50
Love the "Peace Combat" logo in the back. Kind of ironic name.

I'm with the follow the money crowd. Business is business. If some Airsoft mag wants to do gear reviews or tactics classes or even just model for them. If the $$ is good why not.

WillBrink
01-08-15, 15:57
Uhhmmmmm.... uh yeah.... Costa, Air Soft, Cat Walk, Japan. I don't know what else to say. Tactical Air Soft

My guess: Air soft is huge in other countries, especially Japan. I had no idea how huge until I traveled recently. I'm betting he got paid some silly amount of $$$ to show do that sillyness, similar to pop stars and movie stars doing commercials in Japan for products they wouldn't do in the US in the 80s. What happens in Japan does not stay in japan with the 'net. I hope he made F-U money from that, as it was at the expense of his manhood. :cool:

Maybe he's even got a Costa Edition Air Soft gun that came out in Japan.

When you're government has deemed you not worthy of owning real fire arms, you end up with that....

Grizzly16
01-08-15, 15:58
Love the "Peace Combat" logo in the back. Kind of ironic name.

I'm with the follow the money crowd. Business is business. If some Airsoft mag wants to do gear reviews or tactics classes or even just model for them. If the $$ is good why not.

The main negative is it clearly puts you in the "follow the money trainer" crowd. If that is your business model go for it. But for some guys their integrity of their training is worth more (literally and figuratively) than doing these kind of gigs. Most of the people I've seen dumping on Costa are fan boys trying to be the second option.

I'm none of the above so I'd take the gig and use the money for guns and training :D

ChrisCross
01-08-15, 16:38
45 seconds of...LOL and he probably cleared 6 figures. If he didn't he needs a new "manager".

MBtech
01-08-15, 16:46
Who's Chris Costa? :p

Pretty funny big ass dork acting like a "Tacticool" jackass though. :sarcastic:

Sorry, I'll keep my integrity and stay poor and a simple man first.

SteyrAUG
01-08-15, 17:46
Who's Chris Costa?

Pretty funny big ass dork acting like a "Tacticool" jackass though. :sarcastic:

Sorry, I'll keep my integrity and stay poor and a simple man first.

Not to question your integrity, but it's an easy decision to make when you aren't being offered the opportunity. Even if you or I decided to act like a tacticool dork, nobody in Japan is going to invite us over.

For whatever reason Costa has developed a following even in Japan and I've seen a LOT of people do sillier things for what I imagine is less money than Costa was paid. Even if all he got was a "free trip" to Japan to promote his business and meet his fan base, I'd have taken that deal. We should remember this is airsoft after all and if they can afford to have legit instructors get involved, well that's probably better than some of the local "Youtube operators" we have in this country.

WickedWillis
01-08-15, 17:50
Chris Costa is the only one here who's posed for press photos with a rifle prop. Every other shooting instructor refuses to have their photo taken in public, especially by multiple photographers at a trade show.

Good to know.

In all seriousness, if my name was my brand and business, and I were paid to be at a trade show, and there were a bunch of associated-industry photographers who would put my picture in their magazines or websites, enabling me to sell more parts, classes and t-shirts, thereby putting more money in my pocket - I would pose so hard and often that they'd have to kick me off the stage.

Exactly. I agree.

Honu
01-08-15, 18:00
shot a artists home once who is big in Japan :) OK was one of his homes his small Maui get away on the beach maybe worth only 7 million ? they say his Diamond Head home is insane and his ski villa in Colorado will make you drool

Japan could be a HUGE HUGE money market for him if he plays it well :) so more power to him and I am sure most all of us would do it to and are a touch jealous :) ahhahahahaha

I am really really wanting to go hang out in Japan for a few years though just to absorb the culture a bit and understand it more really intrigues me :)

Don Robison
01-08-15, 18:01

Exactly, it's a business decision for him. One that probably paid well and won't hurt his enrollment numbers. It's easy to say you wouldn't do something for money when no one is dangling a big check in front of your face for you to do it.

Bowser
01-08-15, 18:11
Everything is gay.

Everyone is gay.

But if you're gay and making money, rock on.

Inkslinger
01-08-15, 18:28
Anyone know who makes those jeans?

Mauser KAR98K
01-08-15, 19:00
Working in the American gun industry that could be one election and one sensational mass shooting away to having your clientele banned from owning and shooting tools that are a primary necessity for your course, I'd take as much money as I can morally and legally earn in order to retire happily and not scrounging for a new trade and job.

Looking to take his pistol course in April as soon as I get the funds.

bighawk
01-08-15, 19:13
I got a good laugh out of how excited they got when he went prone

sadmin
01-08-15, 19:29
yea...what can you do...money is money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fucxG-he2qU

Savior 6
01-08-15, 19:36
I mean, yea it looks crappy but hey, he's not a meat eater, he's a business man.

That's a smart business move.

No one is calling 50 Cent a sell out in the hood, he's just a dude playin the game....

But what if Fifty starting teaching tactical shooting classes?

Bowser
01-08-15, 19:57

The Art of Getting Shot 9 Times and Surviving featuring Sonny Puzikas.

ggammell
01-08-15, 20:09

I can't help but think he might have more rounds down range than Costa....

graffex
01-08-15, 20:54
It's not a surprise Costa and him went there seperrate ways. What a freaking clown :suicide:

MountainRaven
01-08-15, 20:55
I don't get it.

I've always been into guns. But there was a time when I was too young to buy guns, followed by being too poor to buy guns. So I bought airsoft instead. I - and many others - had airsoft as a gateway "drug" into the more serious aspects of shooting real guns.

Chris Costa, Travis Haley, and Magpul Dynamics probably got more airsofters - more millennials - into real guns than every Call of Duty game combined. And it got us started off (mostly) right. A hell of a lot more than the LAV/DD/SOG/Magpul/Larue/Surefire-licensed/consulted/advised flop Medal of Honor: Warfighter did. Hell, Magpul has had an airsoft division for almost as long as the Costa/Haley Magpul DVDs have been in existence. I know: I was there. And as long as those DVDs have been in existence, there have been at least as many airsofters idealizing Costa and Haley and everything Magpul Dynamics as there have been guys with real guns doing the same.

So it only makes sense that there would be a good deal of money in it for Chris. Especially since he's moved to Wyoming and there's not exactly a lot for you to do in Wyoming in the middle of winter, unless you love skiing, snowshoeing, or snowmobiling.

As far as his embarrassment level? Well, we all know that there are guys out there - especially on TOS - who obsess over every article of clothing he wears, every gun he carries, everything. So you want to imagine his embarrassment level, take those guys (obsessing over every detail of your persona), make them short, speaking a language you barely understand, and now you're surrounded by them, thousands of miles from home.

My guess: Air soft is huge in other countries, especially Japan. I had no idea how huge until I traveled recently. I'm betting he got paid some silly amount of $$$ to show do that sillyness, similar to pop stars and movie stars doing commercials in Japan for products they wouldn't do in the US in the 80s. What happens in Japan does not stay in japan with the 'net. I hope he made F-U money from that, as it was at the expense of his manhood. :cool:

Maybe he's even got a Costa Edition Air Soft gun that came out in Japan.

When you're government has deemed you not worthy of owning real fire arms, you end up with that....

I believe there is or was a slide to convert a Glock airsoft gun (not certain which one) into a replica of his irons-only Salient - except in FDE instead of grey. And I think they're supposed to be rolling out a licensed Warsport LVOA airsoft gun. Which I think they're supposed to be unveiling and is one of the reasons Costa is there.

Only if you count the video games, I'm sure.

cop1211
01-08-15, 20:58
Its called making money, probably big money, good for him.

Koshinn
01-08-15, 20:58

I thought Costa was Coast Guard, not NSW!

In all seriousness though, do whatever it takes to pay the bills as long as you don't hurt people in the process. Whether that's giving interviews like Paul Howe or basically all Navy SEAL (http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/05/us-navy-seal-training-writing-course/)s or making kind of ridiculous videos like Costa. And from what I heard, he got paid A LOT to do this.

This is really just harmless fun at the worst. People do way stupider shit for way way less money all the time.

CLHC
01-08-15, 21:09
And shooting the Airsoft "toys":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGJ5l__hKbQ

MountainRaven
01-08-15, 21:24
Since we're doing this airsoft thing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoHA-rhGeG4

Ready.Fire.Aim
01-08-15, 21:24
Who is Chris Costa? It appears his cap gun rear sight's white -dots marks are on backwards -at the 4:03 mark.

Maybe it's my half-century old eyes not seeing it right.

Being in Japan, a Nambu would be a fitting sidearm.

ForTehNguyen
01-08-15, 22:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib2jw1WFAq0

Savior 6
01-08-15, 22:29

LOL! Now that's funny and I could believe it.

Moose-Knuckle
01-09-15, 00:45
As I watched the video embeded in the OP, I had this playing in my head . . .

(sorry fellas but I just had to)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YUXIKrOFk

jpmuscle
01-09-15, 00:59
The guys making money. Rock on.

If nothing else if it brings new responsible shooters into the fold then that's a net positive for humanity.

SteyrAUG
01-09-15, 01:10

Do you know how many years it took to expunge that from my memory?!?

Dammit.

Mr blasty
01-09-15, 03:48

Asshole

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

CLHC
01-09-15, 08:16
"You are, traditionally warriors."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnzuqS9EbE

1911-A1
01-09-15, 08:28
How silly would you guys act to make sure your kids went to any college they wanted?

Voodoochild
01-09-15, 08:39
Wow!.........Is he going to teach the "runway" in his classes from now on? :suicide:

So what you are saying is your not a certified "tactical cat walk" instructor or a graduate of a tactical cat walk course? Wow and here I was thinking you were someone with moxy..

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-09-15, 09:37
How silly would you guys act to make sure your kids went to any college they wanted?

That assumes I don't already do something as silly- or even worse, banal- and that my kids could get in college.

Plus the first two years are free now, Obama said so.

WickedWillis
01-09-15, 13:50
I don't get it.

I've always been into guns. But there was a time when I was too young to buy guns, followed by being too poor to buy guns. So I bought airsoft instead. I - and many others - had airsoft as a gateway "drug" into the more serious aspects of shooting real guns.

Chris Costa, Travis Haley, and Magpul Dynamics probably got more airsofters - more millennials - into real guns than every Call of Duty game combined. And it got us started off (mostly) right. A hell of a lot more than the LAV/DD/SOG/Magpul/Larue/Surefire-licensed/consulted/advised flop Medal of Honor: Warfighter did. Hell, Magpul has had an airsoft division for almost as long as the Costa/Haley Magpul DVDs have been in existence. I know: I was there. And as long as those DVDs have been in existence, there have been at least as many airsofters idealizing Costa and Haley and everything Magpul Dynamics as there have been guys with real guns doing the same.

So it only makes sense that there would be a good deal of money in it for Chris. Especially since he's moved to Wyoming and there's not exactly a lot for you to do in Wyoming in the middle of winter, unless you love skiing, snowshoeing, or snowmobiling.

As far as his embarrassment level? Well, we all know that there are guys out there - especially on TOS - who obsess over every article of clothing he wears, every gun he carries, everything. So you want to imagine his embarrassment level, take those guys (obsessing over every detail of your persona), make them short, speaking a language you barely understand, and now you're surrounded by them, thousands of miles from home.

I believe there is or was a slide to convert a Glock airsoft gun (not certain which one) into a replica of his irons-only Salient - except in FDE instead of grey. And I think they're supposed to be rolling out a licensed Warsport LVOA airsoft gun. Which I think they're supposed to be unveiling and is one of the reasons Costa is there.

Only if you count the video games, I'm sure.

Some very good points there. I have never, ever been into airsoft but it is freaking huge in my area, and most of the guys run legitimate magpul, and surefire products on their toy guns. I had a guy at my work the other day that he and his buddy were talking about their airsoft guns, and I got him to bring in his HK416 toy from his truck. Holy crap, I think he had more money into that than I do my BCM build, and has HK markings all over it, plus he had an M600 surefire light along with a new BCM stock and a Noveske QD sling mount. Thing was nuts, and he said it wasn't even his nicest game gun. That's insane to me. I'm a big gamer, and I am surprised more games don't go the route of warfighter with their official licensing of real products, I think it really does help sell. Nearly free advertising. There is a huge market here that intelligent business people like Costa can't help but capitalize on, good for him man.

Voodoochild
01-09-15, 14:49
I have been into firearms way before Costa and Hailey were around so they never got me into anything and I have never been a gear queer so I am out of that category. I mean hell there wasn't a lot of companies out and sure weren't any Dynamic videos either. If people are getting into firearms because of them then cool but don't get into just because they dress a certain way or acT a certain way.

As for airsoft I never got into it it just never did anything for me.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-09-15, 15:29
Even though I think the cat walk thing was beyond ridiculous, good for him on making some serious cash for doing it.

I won't lie and say that if a group thought I was cool enough to pay me to do it that I would turn it down. I would walk down the catwalk holding a my little pony and Hello kitty themed air soft gun wearing a sombrero and short shorts riding on the back of a donkey if they paid me enough.

JoshNC
01-09-15, 16:05
What.......the.......f$&@

I am embarrassed for him. Good grief.

scoutfsu99
01-09-15, 18:15
Shit, I'm not embarrassed for him. I'm jealous.

I'd guess that he just pulled in more money for this than a lot of people on this forum make in a year, if any of the numbers I've read are true. How many people here would really walk away from the chance to make $40k +/- for a couple days worth of work?

Kain
01-09-15, 18:18

I'd guess that he just pulled in more money for this than a lot of people on this forum make in a year, if any of the numbers I've read are true. How many people here would really walk away from the chance to make $40k +/- for a couple days worth of work?

You know how many friends I have who would have jump at the free trip to japan alone? The 40K would be icing on the cake for them. Lol.

And yes, I would have done it and I don't fault the man. If someone waves money at you like that to do work, if you really call that work, you are kind of stupid on to take it, that or stupid rich, either way.

Koshinn
01-09-15, 19:32
You know how many friends I have who would have jump at the free trip to japan alone? The 40K would be icing on the cake for them. Lol.

And yes, I would have done it and I don't fault the man. If someone waves money at you like that to do work, if you really call that work, you are kind of stupid on to take it, that or stupid rich, either way.

Or you're extremely self-conscious and everything you do is based on the opinion a minority group of people has of you. And that group is primarily made up of gun forum users.

Caeser25
01-10-15, 08:20
There's a link in the original video to a question and answer session that brings, whatever this photo op was, back to reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnzuqS9EbE

Talon167
01-10-15, 09:42

Agree.

So many haters out there.

SkiDevil
01-10-15, 11:37
I think that it is all a little silly, but it's his time and choice to participate in the Japanese obsession with airsoft.

He has a pretty fanatical following here in the U.S., so it's not surprising that he is popular over seas. The MagPul videos could only have helped his popularity in Japan. I can still remember guys here being teased about mimicking him or referring to his ideas, gear, and style.

The Japanese can be pretty fanatical about cars, guns, and other hobbies. Especially, real guns which most of their people are prohibited from owning. Then resulting in the popularity with the airsoft.

Bottom line, like others have already stated many people would chose to capitalize on earning a living from the same silliness if the opportunity presented itself. If it is being done to support his family then I can respect and understand that decision.

9mm_shooter
01-10-15, 11:57
I'd say he's in very good company. :cool:

http://i62.tinypic.com/dh7m6o.jpg

Yes, he's standing next to Haruna Yabuki.

Larry Vickers
01-10-15, 13:55
This is all about playing to your market - giving your people what they want. Chris obviously gets paid well from this (Airsoft- Milsim) market so he is accommodating their needs and wants

It's as simple as that

People make a living in different ways and answering the needs and requests of different customers - this is Chris making a living from meeting those same needs and wishes from his customer base

Nothing more - nothing less

MountainRaven
01-10-15, 14:17
I have been into firearms way before Costa and Hailey were around so they never got me into anything and I have never been a gear queer so I am out of that category. I mean hell there wasn't a lot of companies out and sure weren't any Dynamic videos either. If people are getting into firearms because of them then cool but don't get into just because they dress a certain way or acT a certain way.

As for airsoft I never got into it it just never did anything for me.

About a year after I got serious about real guns, I stopped airsofting. It just didn't (and doesn't) do anything for me any more.

I still have plenty of airsoft guns from that period of my life, though. Good times. I often lend them out to friends for Halloween costumes and the like.

http://i62.tinypic.com/dh7m6o.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yDqS2VK.jpg

eodinert
01-10-15, 14:19

Oh, Haruna Yabuki.

Am I the only one who doesn't know who she is?

J8127
01-10-15, 14:20
The hate would be one thing if Chris was a douche, but he is a genuinely good dude, veteran, great instructor, and easily one of the best shooters around. Friendly ribbing is one thing, but the actual hate is pretty unwarranted. I'm sure he will reflect on your tears as he cashes what I assume is a big ass check that smells liked worn panties presented to him by women in anime costumes.

3 AE
01-10-15, 14:21
Dammmmn! I didn't know Kevlar turned "Stealth Grey" as it ages!!! :laugh:

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-10-15, 14:29
Oh, Haruna Yabuki.

You haven't seen 'Space Sheriff Sharivan: NEXT Generation'????

ETA: Don't google image search her with you wife sitting next to you. It isn't that its NSFW, but I had to explain Costa, air soft and Japan... never mind.

MountainRaven
01-10-15, 15:05
Oh, Haruna Yabuki.

As the image I posted in response might suggest: No. But I would like to change that.

The hate would be one thing if Chris was a douche, but he is a genuinely good dude, veteran, great instructor, and easily one of the best shooters around. Friendly ribbing is one thing, but the actual hate is pretty unwarranted. I'm sure he will reflect on your tears as he cashes what I assume is a big ass check that smells liked worn panties presented to him by women in anime costumes.

I feel like it's not hate so much as jealousy. Kinda hard to tell the one from t'other on the interweb, though.

Eurodriver
01-10-15, 15:54

Maybe you missed the mention of my "nofap" quest in the New Years Resolution thread.

Please don't do that again, ever.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-10-15, 17:49

I agree. I met him at the last Larue range day and he was a genuinely nice guy and took plenty of time to talk to all the fanboys and pose for pictures with them. He even took the time to work with a couple of people on one of the ranges. And as you said, damn good shooter. Watching him on the 3 gun was pretty cool.

MBtech
01-10-15, 18:22
Greatest basketball player of all time IMO but does underwear commercials. 30990

Does he "need" the $$ hell no, Long live the mighty $dollar Whatever makes you happy.

Leonidas24
01-10-15, 19:56
In a capitalist society one has the ability to create wealth by any legal means necessary as far as I'm concerned. I take more issue with the hero worship by the fanboys of Costa, but the same could be said for Haley, Yaeger (ugh), Pincus (double ugh.) To be made into an action figure and a character in a manga is a little too much for me to imagine and I don't think I could honestly handle it.

9mm_shooter
01-11-15, 14:27
Maybe you missed the mention of my "nofap" quest in the New Years Resolution thread.

Please don't do that again, ever.

You have a message incoming.

SilverBullet432
01-11-15, 14:48
Greatest basketball player of all time IMO but does underwear commercials. 30990

Does he "need" the $$ hell no, Long live the mighty $dollar Whatever makes you happy.

Just like Shaq :sarcastic:

MBtech
01-11-15, 14:58
Just like Shaq :sarcastic:

LOL, right... and I bet Shaq really owns a Buick his big a$$ barely fits in :sarcastic:

ramairthree
01-11-15, 15:03
It was not that long ago people were busting on guys making a buck training LE and non LE civilians.

The first guy I remember going to work for a company I think was Zink at HK.
People said stuff like-
When you take specially selected people, give them good equipment and training- you get well trained SOF personnel.
When you take the cream of the crop from that and give them even better equipment and more training you get operators.
When you give expensive equipment and training to non-selected personnel
you get Waco.

jpmuscle
01-11-15, 16:39
It was not that long ago people were busting on guys making a buck training LE and non LE civilians.

The first guy I remember going to work for a company I think was Zink at HK.
People said stuff like-
When you take specially selected people, give them good equipment and training- you get well trained SOF personnel.
When you take the cream of the crop from that and give them even better equipment and more training you get operators.
When you give expensive equipment and training to non-selected personnel
you get Waco.
I interviewed with an LE department a few years back and during the oral boards and they found it abhorrent that I was interested in the competitive shooting sports. Figured it was some pathological obsession. Seriously..

ramairthree
01-11-15, 19:33
It was not implying people interested in training were crazy people.

It was implying running around shooting each other with their own fancy guns was the result of not putting people through a selected/cutting pipeline before giving them gear and training.

A lot of people consider those giving training from SOF backgrounds to those without is selling out, cashing in, unseemly, etc.

Now it seems that group is considering those catering to the Airsoft guys selling out, cashing in, unseemly, etc.

TMS951
01-12-15, 09:26
Well this is certainly going to get him a lot of attention at the upcoming Shot Show, I however question if it will be positive attention. At least he's gonna have explaining to do.

I do have to give a lot of credit to air soft. I go t my first Glock 17 gen2 when I was 13 years old, birthday present from my parents. It was Airsoft, and very good quality. My hand grew around it, it taught trigger control and mag manipulations.

I do also have to give Costa credit, if it hadn't been for the Mag-Pul dynamics DVDs I may not have sought out real training the way I did.

Now I understand both are ridiculous in their own ways, I don't play with any air soft now and I seek out retired Delta/SOF instructors for my classes. They did help me get to whee I am today though.

And boy do I feel bad for the Japanese.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-12-15, 09:48
Well this is certainly going to get him a lot of attention at the upcoming Shot Show, I however question if it will be positive attention. At least he's gonna have explaining to do.

All he needs to do is have a picture of him in bed with that chick, with a plate of sushi, a pile of cash and an airsoft gun. That's doing Japan like a boss.

skijunkie55
01-12-15, 09:50
I don't think people are dogging him for marketing to the Japanese air soft crowd. That's fine. It's a smart business decision, and obviously he's not the first to do it.

It's the damn catwalk. It's the hundreds of Japanese people with the iPhone 8's snapping pictures and gawking at a guy holding a fake gun doing some "signature" stances. Leave the runway to scantly clad anime models.

And holy crap were there ever a lot of FTE malfunctions in those airsoft guns on page 3. The spent "casings" are cute but they just need to stick to gas / electric motor and plastic bb's

9mm_shooter
01-13-15, 06:29
Aside from the Costa airsoft (non) issue, I'm interested in those cased/primed air soft guns. If they can be made to run correctly, I'd be willing to see a few malfs as well. Other than a double feed, clearing them looks like what you could normally do.

I'm still green with envy. :) Good for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brickboy240
01-13-15, 10:56
Hey...it is capitalism!

I am sure he got paid tons to do that.

I am also pretty sure he knew when he did this, that some would give him grief for it.

So be it. the guy is making money in a somewhat down economy....good for him. Was the catwalk thing strange? Yes...but to each his own.

Pay me enough money and i too will flail about on a catwalk....won't you?

LOL

jpmuscle
01-13-15, 10:59
If nothing else we could view it as geopolitical subterfuge haha.

MountainRaven
01-13-15, 22:16
Aside from the Costa airsoft (non) issue, I'm interested in those cased/primed air soft guns. If they can be made to run correctly, I'd be willing to see a few malfs as well. Other than a double feed, clearing them looks like what you could normally do.

I'm still green with envy. :) Good for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Back in the day'... like five years ago or so when I was into airsofting, they didn't work very well. And the "brass" was quite expensive. Not something you wanted to use very often in the field, because you'd be out there trying to police your brass up, hoping you didn't lose or destroy any.

Actually, I think there were Kar98Ks that used the "brass" that worked OK. But they were super expensive. On top of all the expense of the "brass".

Eurodriver
01-14-15, 06:07
Actually, I think there were Kar98Ks that used the "brass" that worked OK. But they were super expensive. On top of all the expense of the "brass".

I remember these. It's actually quite funny, because I ended up buying a real 98k and it was much cheaper.

MountainRaven
01-14-15, 09:25
Chris Costa posted a bunch of photos up on his Facebook page along with the story behind this.

And the hashtag, "#CostaGate2015". He is referring to this 'incident' as CostaGate.

Long story short: He didn't want to do the catwalk. He didn't think the audience wanted him to do the catwalk. But his hosts were disappointed and explained the firearms situation in Japan and so he agreed. The crowd went wild (as we all saw). Meanwhile, in the United States... CostaGate ensued.

I remember these. It's actually quite funny, because I ended up buying a real 98k and it was much cheaper.

Yeah. Weren't they $800? I seem to remember Soviet-capture surplus 98ks going for about $300 at the time.

jpmuscle
01-14-15, 12:05
Chris Costa posted a bunch of photos up on his Facebook page along with the story behind this.

And the hashtag, "#CostaGate2015". He is referring to this 'incident' as CostaGate.

Long story short: He didn't want to do the catwalk. He didn't think the audience wanted him to do the catwalk. But his hosts were disappointed and explained the firearms situation in Japan and so he agreed. The crowd went wild (as we all saw). Meanwhile, in the United States... CostaGate ensued.

Yeah. Weren't they $800? I seem to remember Soviet-capture surplus 98ks going for about $300 at the time.
More power to him. Anyone who can poke some humor at themselves gets a +1 in my book.

Koshinn
01-14-15, 13:33
His discussion on "costagate" was actually very good.

Moose-Knuckle
01-15-15, 04:46
Gawd I cannot wait for Matt Best to parody this . . .

ruchik
01-15-15, 06:34
Get paid an obscene amount of money to:

1. Get flown out to Japan
2. Shoot airsoft guns
3. Pose with airsoft guns
4. Pose with hot Japanese wimminz
5. Probably have much sweaty fun times with said hot Japanese wimminz
6. Get advertising on the most popular Japanese airsoft magazines
7. Promote my products
8. Make fans even more loyal to my brand, along with bringing more fans (read, customers) in as a response to my willingness to cater to their interests

And you're telling me there's people who WOULDN'T want that? Either you are lying, rich, or one of the worst businessmen I've ever seen.

ForTehNguyen
01-24-15, 11:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVDeFYSabH0

Whiskey_Bravo
01-24-15, 13:37
lol, pretty funny video over at the Mat Best facebook page. I have no idea how to link the video from there but here is the link to his page.

https://www.facebook.com/mbest11x?fref=nf

JoshNC
01-24-15, 14:53
Get paid an obscene amount of money to:

4. Pose with hot Japanese wimminz
5. Probably have much sweaty fun times with said hot Japanese wimminz

Ok, this would make the whole trip worthwhile.

ForTehNguyen
01-24-15, 15:45
lol, pretty funny video over at the Mat Best facebook page. I have no idea how to link the video from there but here is the link to his page.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=592080564268948

HighSpeedDreams
01-24-15, 20:23
Dude continually jumps the shark, no doubt about it. I give him credit for being able to laugh at himself and forge on.

VIP3R 237
01-24-15, 20:53

They were both at the LBT booth and wow it was a riot.

Mjolnir
01-24-15, 21:12
Some things just should not be done.

This was one of those things...

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."