PDA

View Full Version : Help Diagnose Ammo failure At The Range

murphman
01-08-15, 13:56
Just a short bit ago a co worker of mine and I took a trip to the range as Thursday is half price word of the day. We get set up on our lanes and begin shooting. Maybe 10 minutes in he taps me on the back shoulder and signals me to come over to his lane. He proceeds to tell me he had a FTE and after removing the mag the spent casing fell out along with another treasure. It would appear part of the bullet dropped out along with the spent casing. He was shooting Blazer brass 9mm 115gr out of his relatively new S&W M&P9 that has all the current updates. I proceeded to ask him if he noticed anything after firing that round like softer recoil or a funny sound which he said he experienced both. I had him clear and disassemble the firearm so we could look down the barrel for any obstructions which there were none.

I am curious if any of you have seen or head of something similar to this happening. At this point I am assuming the cause of this was do to the round being under powdered so much so the bullet never even got stuck in the barrel. It would seem there was just enough pressure to strip the jack but leave the round just tight enough in the chamber to cause a Failure to eject the spent casing. Another theory is a weak bullet casting, as you can see the bullet that dropped from his firearm is the remains of what was a 9mm based on the size of the lead projectile but it is very uniform which brings up other questions in which makes me scratch my head.

He proceeded to finish the box of Blazer Brass along with an additional box with no problems.

Once again I have never seen or heard of anything like this but I am sure this is not the first of its kind. I am just looking for a logical explanation as to this failure for my own knowledge.

Thanks.

markm
01-08-15, 14:13
looks like a swaged bullet core was inside the casing... or the bullet separated and send the jacket out the barrel.

murphman
01-08-15, 14:20
looks like a swaged bullet core was inside the casing... or the bullet separated and send the jacket out the barrel.

Would this be a bullet casting issue or a power issue?

masan
01-08-15, 14:30
Low powder loads in old .357/.38's used to cause jacket separation back in the day, look at an old Speer manual compared to ones from today for light (158gr) 357/38 loads. Looks like a case of a poorly jacketed bullet having its jacket ripped off, possibly in conjunction with an undercharged round... enough power to separate the jacket but not push the lead core out of the barrel?

Regardless, glad that nobody was injured.