PDA

View Full Version : DA/SA for Practice

NotTheNSA
01-08-15, 15:49
I prefer to keep my handgun collection very limited and generally CCW with striker fired guns. I think there is merit in still practicing with a DA/SA guns to maintain familiarity but only want to add one to my collection. I have large hands and the gun will be mainly for my own use. What would you pick? The thoughts behind your choice are just as valueable as the choice.

W. German P226
Sig 2022
Beretta 92G-SD
HK P30
HK P2000

cathellsk
01-08-15, 16:07
I say the Beretta since it's currently the military issue sidearm and you just want to keep one around for familiarity and range use. Parts/mags will always be easy to find also.

YVK
01-08-15, 16:24
Thoughts behind the choice: I personally can't stand HK's TDA triggers in their stock forms when better alternatives are available.

2022 would be the most concealed carriable of three remaining, but you don't plan to carry it. So, scratch that and move on to more shootable options.

Between the two remaining, I find the 92G to be a softer shooting and less flipping. I like an ambi option for a decocker vs one sided for SIG. You do not run into a slide lock interference unlike many do with SIGs. If you're looking for a West German with a stamped slide, you'd need to replace that pin that holds a breech face block in place every 5K; I found that task to be a major pain in the ass, although I am not mechanically talented.
Sig will likely have more sight and holster options, and probably will carry better concealed, but again you're not looking to carry.

So, as asked in your post, my choice would've been straightforward, 92G-SD. If I wanted to have do it all DA/SA gun gun, it probably would be a P30L with Grayguns trigger job, add 500 bucks and 5 months of wait to a regular 30L.

Kain
01-08-15, 16:31
If you are not carrying the gun, and only running it for the range work or practice I would say, hands down the 92. Mags are plentiful, and even if there is another panic you should be able to easily source mags and parts. It is also soft shooting, accurate, and reliable. There are also plenty of aftermarket parts, accessories, and holsters for the gun as well, and if you decide to really go all out you could have it worked over by Wilson.

The 226 are nice guns and I would love to have one or two, and I personally like H&K's DA/SA guns, but that said, I still think, for what you are looking for the 92 is your best choice.

JimmyB62
01-08-15, 16:38
While I don't have a Beretta, they do seem to be a good option for those with large hands.

Kain
01-08-15, 16:43
While I don't have a Beretta, they do seem to be a good option for those with large hands.

Personally, unless you have small hands they aren't that bad to work. I don't have large hands, I wear a medium/medium large glove and for me the control on a 92 are placed where I can reach and work them without issue, even the slide mounted safety. And anyone who wants to say that the beretta safety sucks, come out and shoot my old Ruger P89 and I'll show you a slide mounted safety that sucks. Compared to that the Beretta's is a dream. Though with the G models hitting the market once again the safety issue is much muted.

ritepath
01-08-15, 19:42
CZ-p09

rathos
01-08-15, 20:02
I would say sig followed by a beretta with a D spring. The sig DA has always been better than any other DA on current production guns IMHO. The beretta is a close second, but a bit longer and a little tougher to pull. Personally I would say stick with the sig, but go with a P228 or P229.

nimdabew
01-08-15, 23:22
CZ-p09

Or SP-01 or P-01.

SkiDevil
01-09-15, 00:29
I would say the SIG 226 or Beretta 92, especially if your hands are large.

I would look for a stainless slide 226 pre-rail, like the NSW guns made. It may take some patience and looking but it would be worth the trouble in my opinion. The 226 has one of the best triggers on a DA gun and accurate to boot.

If you want a new pistol, then I would just grab a 92 and call it a day. Another solid choice for a DA pistol.

samuse
01-09-15, 08:14
I've spent a lot of time behind a P226 and an M9 and I always thought the Beretta was a sleeker, better shooting, and handling pistol.

The Sig grip gets wider at the top, makes it feel really top heavy, and the slide stop lever is always in the way.

Practicing with a DA will make ALL your other pistol shooting better.

Talon167
01-09-15, 08:22
If it’s just going to be a range toy to practice with, I’d say:

Beretta 92F
HK P30
Sig P226 (M11-A1?)

The Beretta is a great gun and very underrated, IMO. If it weren’t for the slide mounted safety, I think they’d be more popular. Besides, it cost like $300 less than the other two.

01-09-15, 09:32
From your list: the Beretta. I've had both the SIG and Beretta. The Beretta shoots flatter in IMO. With a D spring and some use the trigger pull is very manageable. I still have the Beretta.
Magazines are plentiful for both with an edge to the 92. A few years ago I was buying LE trade in mags for the 92 in Texas for $8.00 a piece.

teutonicpolymer
01-09-15, 10:18
I would get the 226

Someone mentioned the 228 over the 226, but I would just go with the 226 because the 228 isn't all that much more concealable or anything

NotTheNSA
01-09-15, 14:23
The gun will be just for practice at the range. The CZ P09 definitely looks interesting and has an attractive price point. Ive previously owned a 92, 226, and 228 and liked all the platforms but they are no longer in my collection. I also found the 92 softer shooting and just as accurate as my 228 although the Sigs had the better trigger.

urbantactic
01-11-15, 14:33
I have been doing a lot of reading on M4C regarding DA/SA platforms, and Mr. Pannone's and Grant's posts have me taking a hard look at training more with the CZ P-07.

teutonicpolymer
01-11-15, 14:35
I would get the P09. I like W. German SIGs but they are a little overpriced on the used market I would say. The P07 and P09 are pretty impressive and the triggers are nice.