PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Glock trigger reach

ruchik
01-09-15, 05:30
Question for all the Glock aficionados. Do aftermarket Glock triggers like the Zev-tech adjustable Fulcrum series and Salient triggers set the trigger further back at rest while cocked, similar to the Apex FSS M&P kits?

buckshot1220
01-09-15, 07:55
Some do, some don't. Zev offers a trigger with "reduced pre-travel," so does glocktriggers.com, and they both accomplish what the name implies.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't put either on a carry gun. Competition, sure, but for I carry I prefer to have the little bit of pre-travel especially if you're already running a (-) connector of some sort and lighter springs.

Texaspoff
01-09-15, 09:08
Question for all the Glock aficionados. Do aftermarket Glock triggers like the Zev-tech adjustable Fulcrum series and Salient triggers set the trigger further back at rest while cocked, similar to the Apex FSS M&P kits?

I had a customer that was trying to resolve the same issue are asking about. I did a full work up on his G17 and installed a Haley Skimmer from glocktriggers. It was a bit smoother than factory but has about the same pull weight. The advantage to the setup is the trigger pad is staged back almost to the break point. The trigger is further back than a factory one. This is achieved by changing the geometry of the trigger by changing the trigger pad mounting point on the trigger bar. I have shot these triggers and they are nice. If you take your factory trigger and pull the trigger back to the point of its brake, and then let it move forward a hair, that is where the Skimmer trigger starts. It removes almost all the take up out of the trigger. It is a drop in kit and while I don't typically abdicate using after market fire control assembly's on a defensive pistol, it is a possible solution to your query.

TXPO

teutonicpolymer
01-09-15, 19:04
I think a lot of these style triggers disable a Glock safety

Sparky5019
01-09-15, 19:15
I think a lot of these style triggers disable a Glock safety

This is incorrect. The Fulcrum is nice but the safety lever might bite your finger. The glocktriggers products are ok. They install a 2-56 x 1/4" screw in the trigger to reduce the travel. You can use that and trade connectors around to get the feel you want. Lone Wolf is making an adjustable now as well. I have not tried it. The best reset I have found to date is the Ghost EVO Elite connector. They also claim to eliminate the bump in a full travel trigger. I like it with a screw reduced pre travel trigger.

teutonicpolymer
01-10-15, 16:36
This is incorrect. The Fulcrum is nice but the safety lever might bite your finger. The glocktriggers products are ok. They install a 2-56 x 1/4" screw in the trigger to reduce the travel. You can use that and trade connectors around to get the feel you want. Lone Wolf is making an adjustable now as well. I have not tried it. The best reset I have found to date is the Ghost EVO Elite connector. They also claim to eliminate the bump in a full travel trigger. I like it with a screw reduced pre travel trigger.

Not saying all of them do but the Skimmer trigger for example disables one of the Glock safeties

Sparky5019
01-10-15, 18:03
Not saying all of them do but the Skimmer trigger for example disables one of the Glock safeties

Again incorrect. Do you own said trigger? I have installed many of them and have modified none of them. All safeties function as designed with no kids to the design of the system. It just reduces the pre travel.

drg6654
01-10-15, 19:21
How much does it reduce the pre travel?
Again incorrect. Do you own said trigger? I have installed many of them and have modified none of them. All safeties function as designed with no kids to the design of the system. It just reduces the pre travel.

Sparky5019
01-10-15, 19:26
How much does it reduce the pre travel?

About 60%.

26 Inf
01-10-15, 23:16

Robb Jensen of 'the Chart' fame posted this video:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/c0affc62.mp4

He made these comments re the Haley Skimmer on LF.net:

The other day I tried the Skimmer in a brand new cutaway G17. As expected pressing down the trigger bar with a Glock tool caused the trigger bar to release the striker. This means the drop safety shelf isn't being utilized. Glock designed that drop safety shelf for a reason.

Question: Have you had a chance to test the firing pin safety on the cutaway frame yet?

Yep. On a cutaway Gen 3 Glock 17 the Skimmer allows the striker to fall with you press down on the rear end of the trigger bar with a Glock tool.

This nugget was there also:

Good Morning to all. As it has been stated in the past of a possible drop safety issue with the Skimmer last Saturday I contacted Jeff himself at glocktriggers.com He told me that before Travis and him came out with the trigger they T&E'd for about two years fired thousands and thousands of rounds until the gun would malfunction, misfire, or just plain out fail. He stated that it functioned perfectly now with the drop safety issue according to Jeff he tried numerous times to get the drop safety to disengage and he never was able to. Now he did tell me that there might be 1 of 1000 that might fail and unfortuanlly its acceptable in business.

The 1 in a 1,000 remark doesn't give me a warn fussy, YMMV.

Sparky5019
01-11-15, 08:13
Robb Jensen of 'the Chart' fame posted this video:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/c0affc62.mp4

He made these comments re the Haley Skimmer on LF.net:

The other day I tried the Skimmer in a brand new cutaway G17. As expected pressing down the trigger bar with a Glock tool caused the trigger bar to release the striker. This means the drop safety shelf isn't being utilized. Glock designed that drop safety shelf for a reason.

Question: Have you had a chance to test the firing pin safety on the cutaway frame yet?

Yep. On a cutaway Gen 3 Glock 17 the Skimmer allows the striker to fall with you press down on the rear end of the trigger bar with a Glock tool.

This nugget was there also:

Good Morning to all. As it has been stated in the past of a possible drop safety issue with the Skimmer last Saturday I contacted Jeff himself at glocktriggers.com He told me that before Travis and him came out with the trigger they T&E'd for about two years fired thousands and thousands of rounds until the gun would malfunction, misfire, or just plain out fail. He stated that it functioned perfectly now with the drop safety issue according to Jeff he tried numerous times to get the drop safety to disengage and he never was able to. Now he did tell me that there might be 1 of 1000 that might fail and unfortuanlly its acceptable in business.

The 1 in a 1,000 remark doesn't give me a warn fussy, YMMV.

I know Robb Jensen and Havel a great deal of respect for him. Disabling safeties means they're no longer active. Jeff would not put a product on the market and Travis would not put his name behind it if they felt that was a dangerous product. Does it alter the way the gun functions? Yes. Is it unsafe? Not unless you plan on throwing the gun off a building and even then it's maybe 0.1%.

I think this case is closed and we have gone far enough into the weeds. I think we can all agree that if you want to change trigger reach, it can be done by shortening pre travel.

There is one other way to shorten perceived trigger reach and that's to have the frame "glove beveled" by Mike at Tactical Texture.

Fire
01-11-15, 16:46
Robb Jensen of 'the Chart' fame

You're thinking of "rob_s" there.

Sparky5019
01-11-15, 17:22
You're thinking of "rob_s" there.

I meant to make that point as well though Robb Jensen is an excellent armoror and gunsmith in his own right.

jahwarrior1423
01-12-15, 09:37
Who is considered the best aftermarket trigger?

okie john
01-12-15, 10:10

Can you tell us more about why you need to have the trigger farther back? If it's purely a reach issue, then you could solve it by going to a Gen4 gun, which has a shorter distance from the back of the grip to the trigger face. Some grip reductions also do the same thing to some extent.

Okie John

T2C
01-12-15, 12:53
Can you tell us more about why you need to have the trigger farther back? If it's purely a reach issue, then you could solve it by going to a Gen4 gun, which has a shorter distance from the back of the grip to the trigger face. Some grip reductions also do the same thing to some extent.

Okie John

That was my thought as well. It would require fewer or no changes to the firing mechanism.

ruchik
01-14-15, 02:50
A number of reasons. Firstly, I can't get a Gen4 in California. It's not on the roster. Secondly, my hands are pretty tiny. With a proper grip on a Glock 19, I can't even pull the trigger. I'd be willing to give Glock a go, but only if I can make the trigger reach as short as I can.

Sparky5019
01-14-15, 06:31
Pricey but you could use a reduced travel trigger and get Mike to do a glove bevel treatment. That should work well.

http://www.tacticaltexture.com

okie john
01-14-15, 17:27
A number of reasons. Firstly, I can't get a Gen4 in California. It's not on the roster. Secondly, my hands are pretty tiny. With a proper grip on a Glock 19, I can't even pull the trigger. I'd be willing to give Glock a go, but only if I can make the trigger reach as short as I can.

Got it, and thanks for providing that insight.

I still recommend looking at grip reductions over changing trigger components to anything other than OEM. A lot of times you can find people at IDPA and similar matches who've had that kind of work done, and they're generally fine with answering questions and with you checking out their pistols.

Okie John