PDA

View Full Version : ALG officially announces 6-second mount for Glock pistols

burgeman
01-09-15, 11:23
I have been waiting for this to come out for awhile. Here is the link http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2015/01/09/new-products-from-alg-defense-sidewinder-muzzle-brake-and-6-second-mount/

buckshot1220
01-09-15, 11:32
Interesting, though I'm not quite on board yet.

Can you mount something like an RMR or does it only accept the H1/T1/T2? Timing couldn't be worse though, as Glock is releasing a line of optics-ready pistols...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?163340-New-Glock-Models-34-35-and-41-Optics-Ready-A-G40-Longslide-10mm

ETA- it also looks like the rail for the light may drop it significantly lower than one could easily operate with their support thumb. Guess I'll wait to see one in person.

MegademiC
01-09-15, 11:43
Hopefully the get one out for the M&P. I'd be all over it

BuzzinSATX
01-09-15, 11:58
I agree w/ Buckshot. Interesting, but what kinds of sights will it accept? I too was looking hard at that new long slide 10MM as being my first pistol with an optic.

t15
01-09-15, 13:41
I really wanted to be excited by the new MOS pistols, but the adapter plate brings the optic up too high and I'm not sure suppresor height sites would be enough. As an owner of two rmrd flocks, I am looking forward to trying one of these with a t2. I think the non reciprocating dot is a big advantage, but you lose the iron sights. I also doubt the x300 pressure switch would work w this setup.

El Cid
01-09-15, 13:51
I agree w/ Buckshot. Interesting, but what kinds of sights will it accept? I too was looking hard at that new long slide 10MM as being my first pistol with an optic.

The biggest advantage is the gun won't beat the optic to an early death. They have pics with it in a Raven designed/built holster, but if I got one of these it would be for my G17L nightstand gun. I also want a G40, but don't see myself mounting any manner of optic to it. I know the newer RMR's are improved, and the T1/T2 line is practically indestructible... but I'll continue to let others do the R&D for us.

dookie1481
01-09-15, 22:08
I fail to see what would preclude one from mounting this on a Gen 4.

.46caliber
01-09-15, 22:37
I'm kind of digging that brake. Can't wait for someone to review it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Steve
01-09-15, 23:03
i have had this mount and set up for along period of time and taught a few classes with last year that picture of the gun and holster is mine raven custom made that rig for me and a special cross draw version for driving or a second gun

the mount will take various optics mrs and t-1 series
the only issue as i know it with gen 3/4 guns is the trigger pin area were is secures it self too is different that could be solved with new hardware ill ask Bill and amy

i don't think you will see a dedicated mp variation right now blocks are on the top of the list for right now

RAM Engineer
01-09-15, 23:42
I look forward to a Gen 4 version for a G22. This version will be good for a spare G17 I have in the safe.

What's the point of the skid plate looking part at the top front of it?

Steve
01-09-15, 23:52
I look forward to a Gen 4 version for a G22. This version will be good for a spare G17 I have in the safe.

What's the point of the skid plate looking part at the top front of it?

it is blast plate to protect the lens incase of use on compensated guns to protect the lens it is removable

drg6654
01-10-15, 01:47
What is retail? I didn't see a price!!

El Cid
01-10-15, 06:18
it is blast plate to protect the lens incase of use on compensated guns to protect the lens it is removable

Thanks for the information Steve! Are you running it with a light? If so, how does the lower position affect operation of the light?

dookie1481
01-10-15, 11:37
What is retail? I didn't see a price!!

MSRP
Black: $250
DDC: $265

Heavy Metal
01-10-15, 12:11
This thing would be awesome on my nightstand gun.

urbantactic
01-11-15, 14:15
This is interesting. I am still getting used to running my platforms with red dots, and sending in my slides for work has really made me hesitate from training more consistently with one. I'll be excited to see some initial reviews. ALG is a great company!

MountainRaven
01-11-15, 15:40
This thing would be awesome on my nightstand gun.

My thoughts as well.

A solution for creating a practical home defense "offensive handgun weapon system" when mounted to a 17, 17L, or 34 with Taran Tactical mag extension and SureFire X300-U.

TAZ
01-11-15, 15:55
For those who don't like a reciprocating mrds this is a good solution. Kind of wish they could have made it rail mount only and to need to remove a pin. I'd love to see a rail mount only that works for things other than Glock, but the prioritization on Glock is quite understandable.

Like the looks of that brake as well.

MountainRaven
01-11-15, 15:59
For those who don't like a reciprocating mrds this is a good solution. Kind of wish they could have made it rail mount only and to need to remove a pin. I'd love to see a rail mount only that works for things other than Glock, but the prioritization on Glock is quite understandable.

Like the looks of that brake as well.

I would guess that having it just mounted to the rail did not offer sufficient stability/return-to-zero from one round to the next for ALG's tastes.

I wonder if the purple anodized version is going to be available.

El Cid
01-11-15, 16:29
My thoughts as well.

A solution for creating a practical home defense "offensive handgun weapon system" when mounted to a 17, 17L, or 34 with Taran Tactical mag extension and SureFire X300-U.

It's tough to tell from just photographs, but with the light being lower I'm thinking the APL might have an advantage with its taller switches.

williejc
01-12-15, 13:04
I'm reminded of saddle mounts once offered by Redfield and others used to mount scopes on 870 and 1100 shotguns. The two trigger pin holes through the frame accepted the mount's threaded cross pins, which then could be tightened by turning a nut. Too much torque on the nut flexed the receiver and hindered function.
For me this system never worked. I understand that the APL design differs.

Steve
01-12-15, 21:23
Thanks for the information Steve! Are you running it with a light? If so, how does the lower position affect operation of the light?

I have larger hands it doesn't really effect me the way i use the light

El Cid
01-13-15, 06:50
I have larger hands it doesn't really effect me the way i use the light

Thank you! I'm thinking that the support hand during two hand shooting looks workable. I'm concerned about one hand manipulation though. Currently I can activate my X300 with my trigger finger pretty easily when shooting with one hand. The photos make it look like it may require a shift in grip to do that with the 6SM.

CMW
01-14-15, 11:18
Any reason, aside from the obvious OAL difference, that this won't drop onto a 19? All the other dimensions on the 17/19 are the same correct?

I imagine a compact frame mount would be the next logical step for a v2, if that's the only modification needed to the design.

Up1911fan
01-14-15, 23:54
Any reason, aside from the obvious OAL difference, that this won't drop onto a 19? All the other dimensions on the 17/19 are the same correct?

I imagine a compact frame mount would be the next logical step for a v2, if that's the only modification needed to the design.

Not seeing the point in putting something this big and bulky on the smaller gun?

Steve
01-15-15, 01:11
sight radius is non issue with redot its really not that bulky

Steve
01-15-15, 01:16

CMW
01-15-15, 01:17
Not seeing the point in putting something this big and bulky on the smaller gun?

Why not? I know plenty of people that simply prefer the 19 over the 17, regardless of application.

Voodoo_Man
01-15-15, 06:30
I sort of want to get this for my 17L.

j-ro
01-15-15, 06:56
Not really a fan of this.

Lawdog537
01-15-15, 08:48
It's also my understanding that the rear sight of the pistol must be removed in order to be able to field strip the slide from the gun. Any further info on that?

M4Guru
01-15-15, 11:10
Correct, a rear sight will not clear the mount.

The only way is to remove the mount or install the sight with the slide to the rear after sliding it on. Neither is practical (or necessary given the intent of the actual customer) IMO.

I have some ideas for 34/35/17L/24 applications...

Steve
01-15-15, 13:57
I agree With M4GURU(stupid Name)

the pics I posted on of them on my 34/and 17L have the sights installed there useless unless i run a higher suppressor sight set,

Voodoo_Man
01-15-15, 13:59
What do you need sights for if you have an RDS like a T1/T2, especially if the platform covers the use of them.

Blak1508
01-15-15, 21:27
Hopefully I get a chance to check this mount out in the next couple weeks. ALG has my attention, and I think it's a really neat idea. I like how you do not have to mill the slide to run an RMR. I will update when I get the pleasure to test drive this mount. Danger hope your listening :-)

MountainRaven
01-15-15, 21:50
I would seriously consider just removing the rear sight and slapping a suppressor-height tritium front with this set-up. If the Micro goes down, put the sickly green dot on the bad thing and press the trigger. At these sorts of ranges, just having a front sight is probably good enough to ensure combat accuracy.

Steve
01-15-15, 23:16
so is shooting them through the tube

Steve
01-15-15, 23:17
of current its only Aimpoint capable

controlledpairs2
01-19-15, 21:05
Steve, thanks for all the info. On ALG's instagram, they have it mounted on a Gen4 22. Did you ever find out if its just a simple hardware switch to mount to a Gen4? Thanks again.

teutonicpolymer
01-21-15, 12:18
I wanted one then I saw that MSRP... Man that is a buzzkill. You are at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new MOS Glock with or without GSSF/LEO pricing

El Cid
01-21-15, 12:21
I wanted one then I saw that MSRP... Man that is a buzzkill. You are at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new MOS Glock with or without GSSF/LEO pricing

It's not cheap, but you tend to get what you pay for so I'm okay with it. Plus, the optic will last indefinitely on a 6SM. Slide mounted optics get beat to an early death. They are better now than a few years ago, but it's still abusive to anything mounted on the slide.

MegademiC
01-21-15, 13:15
It's not cheap, but you tend to get what you pay for so I'm okay with it. Plus, the optic will last indefinitely on a 6SM. Slide mounted optics get beat to an early death. They are better now than a few years ago, but it's still abusive to anything mounted on the slide.

What's the msrp, I can't see it.

teutonicpolymer
01-21-15, 13:29
Someone said it is around $260 give or take some depending on coating

I still want one in spite of the price... would be perfect for a USPSA open Glock

Problem is that there are just so many cool new pistols putting Glock to shame at competitve prices now that makes this a lower priority thing

trinydex
01-21-15, 17:03
is no one going to talk about why this is called the 6 second mount?

how this devices facilitates the situations for which it was designed?

MegademiC
01-21-15, 17:09
240!? Wow, I was thinking $60. Lol.

So why does it cost so much? What is so different other than being designed smart, shape-wise?

El Cid
01-21-15, 17:49
is no one going to talk about why this is called the 6 second mount?

how this devices facilitates the situations for which it was designed?
Most of us aren't doing tubular assaults so it's not what gets us jazzed up.

MountainRaven
01-21-15, 21:10
240!? Wow, I was thinking $60. Lol.

So why does it cost so much? What is so different other than being designed smart, shape-wise?

It's made from machined aluminum. Not from injection-molded plastic.

teutonicpolymer
01-21-15, 21:12
Yeah the material costs nothing basically but you are paying for the machining time which looks like it would be long.

MegademiC
01-22-15, 05:16
It's made from machined aluminum. Not from injection-molded plastic.
Yea, aluminum is not expensive. AR lowers are $50

Yeah the material costs nothing basically but you are paying for the machining time which looks like it would be long.

most likely. Looks like they could have made it. Less expensive but opted for extra cuts for the cool factor. Oh well, by time an m&p version comes out, I'm sure I'll get one. Not really complaining, just shocked.

praharin
02-09-15, 23:03

Not just the machining time either. The R&D time to design a product that does what it needs to do without disrupting the reliability of the handgun. On a polymer frame, adding something stiff, like aluminum, can throw off the dynamic actions that take place during recoil/cycling. Attaching it to the right places is paramount. All that stuff takes people doing work that they expect to be paid for too.

teutonicpolymer
02-09-15, 23:14
Let's not go over board here- the engineers seemed to neglect making the mount tall enough to allow field stripping the gun due to the rear sight and the mounting positions are what you would expect. I would much rather have a taller overall package if it meant I didn't have to drift the rear sight everytime I wanted to field strip the gun (and could use the sights under the mount).

The problems people had with wml's and G22s were probably due to bending the frame and therefore bending the front frame rails. Here I would expect things to be more straightforward as the front rails and rear rails would probably be better aligned if anything by the addition of the mount assuming tolerancing/manufacturing is right.

praharin
02-10-15, 01:57
Let's not go over board here- the engineers seemed to neglect making the mount tall enough to allow field stripping the gun due to the rear sight and the mounting positions are what you would expect. I would much rather have a taller overall package if it meant I didn't have to drift the rear sight everytime I wanted to field strip the gun (and could use the sights under the mount).

The problems people had with wml's and G22s were probably due to bending the frame and therefore bending the front frame rails. Here I would expect things to be more straightforward as the front rails and rear rails would probably be better aligned if anything by the addition of the mount assuming tolerancing/manufacturing is right.

I don't see it that way. having the optic closer to the bore is good for close quarters fighting. This mount was designed with a very specific purpose: "6 second" hostage rescue situations in very confined spaces. For that purpose, choosing a reliable optic is a much better choice. Now, I understand that this is designed around the Aimpoint T1 base, so that's not really a choice, but, it's a great optic, so this is not a bad thing. However, were it a choice, would someone choose a poor quality optic for this purpose? I certainly hope not. So, given the known quality of the optic, if you were to function check it before the operation, there is virtually no chance it would be no longer working when you need it, given the violently fast nature of the mission.

Spiffums
02-10-15, 18:35
I really wanted to be excited by the new MOS pistols, but the adapter plate brings the optic up too high and I'm not sure suppresor height sites would be enough. As an owner of two rmrd flocks, I am looking forward to trying one of these with a t2. I think the non reciprocating dot is a big advantage, but you lose the iron sights. I also doubt the x300 pressure switch would work w this setup.

Suarze International is bring out a set of steel sights that are the correct height to co-witness on the MOS pistols.

RHINOWSO
02-10-15, 19:03
Not just the machining time either. The R&D time to design a product that does what it needs to do without disrupting the reliability of the handgun. On a polymer frame, adding something stiff, like aluminum, can throw off the dynamic actions that take place during recoil/cycling. Attaching it to the right places is paramount. All that stuff takes people doing work that they expect to be paid for too.Funny how some end users forget that time is money and although something seems "simple", it probably took TONS of man-hours, plus prototypes, testing, etc, etc.

RHINOWSO
02-10-15, 19:05
I don't see it that way. having the optic closer to the bore is good for close quarters fighting. This mount was designed with a very specific purpose: "6 second" hostage rescue situations in very confined spaces. For that purpose, choosing a reliable optic is a much better choice. Now, I understand that this is designed around the Aimpoint T1 base, so that's not really a choice, but, it's a great optic, so this is not a bad thing. However, were it a choice, would someone choose a poor quality optic for this purpose? I certainly hope not. So, given the known quality of the optic, if you were to function check it before the operation, there is virtually no chance it would be no longer working when you need it, given the violently fast nature of the mission.Exactly. It was designed for a specific purpose, which may or may not fill a persons need / desires in CIV-COM.

praharin
02-10-15, 19:50
Funny how some end users forget that time is money and although something seems "simple", it probably took TONS of man-hours, plus prototypes, testing, etc, etc.

“Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.”
― Steve Jobs

MountainRaven
02-10-15, 21:39
I don't see it that way. having the optic closer to the bore is good for close quarters fighting. This mount was designed with a very specific purpose: "6 second" hostage rescue situations in very confined spaces. For that purpose, choosing a reliable optic is a much better choice. Now, I understand that this is designed around the Aimpoint T1 base, so that's not really a choice, but, it's a great optic, so this is not a bad thing. However, were it a choice, would someone choose a poor quality optic for this purpose? I certainly hope not. So, given the known quality of the optic, if you were to function check it before the operation, there is virtually no chance it would be no longer working when you need it, given the violently fast nature of the mission.

This.

We're not talking about something that's intended to be humped up and down the mountains of Afghanistan or through the streets of Fallujah or Kobane. It's probable that the guys using these things or for whom they are intended wouldn't even have a rear sight on their gun - with this optic mounted... possibly not even a front sight or anything fancier than the Glock factory plastic or steel front sight. Never mind the fact that the primary mission of the weapon would be one in which the ability to field strip in the field is unnecessary. Outside of its very specific mission profile or training for that mission, the pistols wearing these sights will probably spend most of their useful lives in unit armories, conexes, and Pelicans. They are not going to much time getting beaten up, smashed against rocks, dropped from helicopters, and dragged through mud. They are, in essence, ruggedized, militarized open division three-gun/action pistol weapons.

teutonicpolymer
02-10-15, 22:25
No matter how you apologists paint it, this mount makes probably the easiest gun to disassemble much, much harder to disassemble (assuming you have the rear sight).

praharin
02-11-15, 00:38
No matter how you apologists paint it, this mount makes probably the easiest gun to disassemble much, much harder to disassemble (assuming you have the rear sight).

That begs the question then; must I have a rear sight?

jpmuscle
02-11-15, 00:51
That begs the question then; must I have a rear sight?
Well, figuring that ones primary weapon has both a primary sighting system as well as a secondary, and ones primary weapon system is accompanied by a secondary system which now would sport it's own primary optic, I'd say a secondary sighting system on one's secondary weapon system becomes irrelevant.

luckydube56
02-11-15, 02:28
As I understand it, this system was made for a very particular use case for a very special unit. ALG/Geissele Automatics is offering this to the public. You can buy it or not. For the civilian user, this system may never have a use outside of home defense. It is not advertised as a carry gun. Is it practical for all purposes? No. If the proverbial SHTF, must I concern myself with the missing rear sight if it is not going to be my weapon of choice in such an event? No.

I'm just ignorantly happy that ALG is offering this to the public. If this was H&K, Shot Show pictures are as close as you'd ever get to one. Okay that's an exaggeration but you get the point....we have the choice.

BTW, I emailed ALG last night, they confirmed it will work with a Gen4 G17.

praharin
02-11-15, 08:19
BTW, I emailed ALG last night, they confirmed it will work with a Gen4 G17.

That's good news, but I was thinking about holding out for a civilian MP7

evi1joe
02-11-15, 08:42
They must be shipping with a separate gen4 pin or maybe they give you the option at checkout--evidently the trigger pin was the only difference between the gen3 and 4.

mayonaise
02-11-15, 10:04
They must be shipping with a separate gen4 pin or maybe they give you the option at checkout--evidently the trigger pin was the only difference between the gen3 and 4.

The only different pin in the Gen4 vs the Gen1-3 is the trigger housing pin(s). Trigger pin is the same until you're talking about G36, G42, and G43 parts of course.

JEHalloranIV
04-07-15, 05:43
So I got one of these as I had money to burn, a spare T1 and a G35 with tons of ammo lying around...after poo pooing the initial release, and wondering how you'd put one of these giant set ups into play, I called the guys who know (Yeti) and worked myself into one.

I like it...a lot...I have other RMR'd guns (both Atom slides, one on a full size G17 and one on a chopped G17) and shoot the piss out of them, and am a firm believer in RDS on pistols. When the stars aligned and boxes of awesome arrived at the house, I got it all together and zeroed at 25, confirmed at 50 and just for shits and giggles, whacked some steel at 100, which is a truggle with irons for me. This gun, the G35 in particular, with some 165 gr. plus P amkes it a walk in the park.

Coupled with the Off the Grid holster and a Safariland fork, I can drop this on my gunbelt like any other Safariland holster and get to work.

While just a regular GPF guy that likes to shoot a lot, I can see this blaster as my new go to gun for training in the house, those 40 meter shots I used to struggle with are a thing of the past...sometimes the hardware does help the software solution.

El Cid
08-06-15, 23:34
Haven't shot it yet as I just got it this evening. Balance feels a little nose heavy but good. Took a 4MOA T-1 off a rifle. Looking forward to a range session.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/FullSizeRender_zps5724adca.jpg

Dave_M
08-08-15, 15:35
Haven't shot it yet as I just got it this evening. Balance feels a little nose heavy but good. Took a 4MOA T-1 off a rifle. Looking forward to a range session.

Balancing more towards the front helps the muzzle remain level during recoil. I like it.

El Cid
08-09-15, 21:34
Balancing more towards the front helps the muzzle remain level during recoil. I like it.

Agreed. But the 17L already shot like a dream with just the X300. Hoping that balance isn't upset.

Dave_M
08-09-15, 22:48
Agreed. But the 17L already shot like a dream with just the X300. Hoping that balance isn't upset.

Yeah I can't speak for the 17L. Currently using it with a 17 slide (though I really would love another G34 to put it on).

MountainRaven
08-09-15, 22:50

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/FullSizeRender_zps5724adca.jpg

Do you have a comp'd barrel on that gun? If not, why the blast deflector?

Looks about like my perfect nightstand Glock, though.

Dave_M
08-10-15, 09:15

Mine isn't too dicked up with a 17 and could probably go without. However, I'd rather not lose it and some of the holsters are built around it being installed.

El Cid
08-10-15, 11:48

Honestly, I installed the deflector because it came with the mount. If I decide later I don't need it I can easily remove it. The bbl is not comped and being a 6" longslide, the deflector is probably not necessary.

El Cid
08-10-15, 21:17
Okay - where are my smart people? Article mentions a 10 yard zero. What's a 9mm path in relation? I don't expect to need to use this gun at 100 yards but I haven't zeroed it yet and would like to know why I choose whatever distance I choose. Thanks!

http://www.recoilweb.com/the-han-solo-blaster-review-of-the-alg-6-second-mount-69875.html

Interesting point about damaging the front sight. My 17L is long enough that it's not a concern but folks with 17's and 19's may need to test by hand cycling first.

mkmckinley
08-10-15, 21:17
I was thinking one of these with a SBR G17 and one of those CAA stocks would be pretty nifty, especially with a suppressor.

Dave_M
08-10-15, 22:37
Okay - where are my smart people? Article mentions a 10 yard zero. What's a 9mm path in relation? I don't expect to need to use this gun at 100 yards but I haven't zeroed it yet and would like to know why I choose whatever distance I choose. Thanks!

http://www.recoilweb.com/the-han-solo-blaster-review-of-the-alg-6-second-mount-69875.html

Interesting point about damaging the front sight. My 17L is long enough that it's not a concern but folks with 17's and 19's may need to test by hand cycling first.

I don't know about smart people, but I wrote that so I can answer. The 25yd zero is very flat within common engagement distances. Once you hit 80yds it starts to drop considerably. With the 10yd zero it has more of a curve at close range (still not terrible) but the drop isn't as steep until further downrange. I like shooting at extended ranges, the Micro makes it exceedingly fast and easy to do--so I figured 'why cut off my legs just when I have something that makes it that much easier?'

http://i61.tinypic.com/b5fjok.jpg

It really comes down to what you want to use it for. And unless it's something stupid ("I'm gonna zero at four feet! derrrrrr!"), just learn your holds at a given range. Hell, we do it all the time with rifles. Just look up your common loading and calculate it as a starting point. Then just go shoot it and see how you like it. Sight height is 1.2" with the 6 Second Mount BTW

Breaking my Triji HD did suck, but now that I've been exposed to radiation, maybe my future children will have superpowers! :D

MountainRaven
08-11-15, 00:51
I believe the article's author stated that he chose the 10 yard zero to give ±2 inches out to 100 yards. Dave's chart appears to bear this out.

Dave_M
08-11-15, 01:44
I believe the article's author stated that he chose the 10 yard zero to give ±2 inches out to 100 yards. Dave's chart appears to bear this out.

The author of the article and I are working with the same data, since we're the same person ;)

I did the calculations a couple ways to divine a starting point. Then just hit the range and shot. If we really wanted to do this right, loads would be chrono'd and atmospheric conditions noted and taken into account etc.... but we're talking about "long range" pistol, not precision rifle; I was looking for that middle road with the best pointy-clicky for my intended purposes. Kinda like a 50/200 M4 zero. But if you were only shooting to within 60yds or so, I'd see no compelling reason to use the 10y over the 25y.

Eurodriver
08-11-15, 04:59

That articles author is terrible at technical writing and kind of a dick.

Bryan84
08-14-15, 16:28
I would like to see some more reviews on this, especially after they release the RMR version.

Exiledviking
08-23-15, 09:40
What's the recommended dot size, 4MOA? I'm going to put one together using a G34 and I'm looking at the 2 different dot sizes.

MountainRaven
08-23-15, 15:16
The author of the article and I are working with the same data, since we're the same person ;)

I did the calculations a couple ways to divine a starting point. Then just hit the range and shot. If we really wanted to do this right, loads would be chrono'd and atmospheric conditions noted and taken into account etc.... but we're talking about "long range" pistol, not precision rifle; I was looking for that middle road with the best pointy-clicky for my intended purposes. Kinda like a 50/200 M4 zero. But if you were only shooting to within 60yds or so, I'd see no compelling reason to use the 10y over the 25y.

Mehercules!

SAOFR, huh?

That articles author is terrible at technical writing and kind of a dick.

I hear that he's a lazy instructor and an awful photographer, too.

El Cid
09-13-15, 21:52
Finally got to shoot my G17L with the 6SM. Love it! Not that a 17L has much recoil anyway but it is even softer shooting now. I'm using a 4MOA T-1 and the dot was easy to find/track.

Now they just need to make these for Gen 4 Glocks and RMR's so my suppressor host can have one too.

jwfuhrman
09-14-15, 07:30
Finally got to shoot my G17L with the 6SM. Love it! Not that a 17L has much recoil anyway but it is even softer shooting now. I'm using a 4MOA T-1 and the dot was easy to find/track.

Now they just need to make these for Gen 4 Glocks and RMR's so my suppressor host can have one too.

My 6second mound works on my Gen4 17 & 34......

Dave_M
09-23-15, 09:18
I find it annoying when people link their own shit, but it is applicable to this thread. A half dozen holster options covered here:
http://www.recoilweb.com/?p=73019

El Cid
09-23-15, 21:14
I find it annoying when people link their own shit, but it is applicable to this thread. A half dozen holster options covered here:
http://www.recoilweb.com/?p=73019
Nice article - thanks for sharing. I have orders in with Advance and Vigilance. Will post here when they arrive but as with most kydex I expect it will be a while.

El Cid
09-23-15, 21:15
My 6second mound works on my Gen4 17 & 34......

Good to know - thanks! I'm still waiting though as I want to give an RMR a go.

titsonritz
09-28-15, 17:12
What's the recommended dot size, 4MOA? I'm going to put one together using a G34 and I'm looking at the 2 different dot sizes.

I was also wondering if the CT guys this mount was originally made for had a preference between the 2 or 4 MOA dot. It seems considering the confined area, one would prefer the 4 MOA. Anyone know?

Apec
09-28-15, 23:31
Just my speculation, but I think future versions could possibly accommodate a rear sight, granted such a sight would be proprietary. They just need to extend the mount further to the rear and leave space for a low profile rear sight that will properly line up with a suppressor/tall front.

Uprange41
09-28-15, 23:57
I was also wondering if the CT guys this mount was originally made for had a preference between the 2 or 4 MOA dot. It seems considering the confined area, one would prefer the 4 MOA. Anyone know?

Can't speak for them, but the Aimpoint micro dots are 2 MOA for the 2 MOA model, and 3.2 MOA for the 4 MOA model. I can't tell a difference in actual use.

titsonritz
09-29-15, 00:04
Can't speak for them, but the Aimpoint micro dots are 2 MOA for the 2 MOA model, and 3.2 MOA for the 4 MOA model. I can't tell a difference in actual use.

I have both and can tell the difference, it is minute but there is definitely a difference.

Uprange41
09-29-15, 00:22
I have both and can tell the difference, it is minute but there is definitely a difference.

I can visually tell if they're side-by-side, but I've never been shooting at extended ranges and thought "crap, this must be the 4 MOA model!", or vice versa for up close.

titsonritz
09-29-15, 01:03
I can visually tell if they're side-by-side, but I've never been shooting at extended ranges and thought "crap, this must be the 4 MOA model!", or vice versa for up close.

OK, I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I have my 2 MOA in my AR's receiver and my 4 MOA on my AK with a Ultimak. I find I prefer that setup with the 2 MOA closer to my eyes and 4 MOA further away. I figure the 6-second will place the Aimpoint about midway between my AR and AK setup but with intended engagement distances much closer than the rifles so I am leaning toward the 4 MOA but I'm not sure since I don't have one yet.

El Cid
09-29-15, 09:33
A while back when I was researching pistol (slide) mounted optics, I noticed most folks went with larger dots (3.25, 4, 7 MOA). The reasons listed by people who have done this included the difficulty in locating the dot sometimes. A handgun floats out in front of your face, and there are times when it can be slow to find the dot. On long guns that is rarely an issue because you are getting the benefit of a cheekweld and planting the stock in your shoulder makes it more consistent.

Knowing this - I went with the 4MOA dot T-1 on my 6SM. If I was shopping for an RMR, I'd have to find a couple to try out before giving over my credit card number. While I tend to agree with their experience and research, I don't know that a 7MOA RMR is going to look right to me. If I try an RMR with a 3.25 dot I can at least move it to a long gun if I find it doesn't work well on the pistol.

Dave_M
09-29-15, 11:31
Just my speculation, but I think future versions could possibly accommodate a rear sight, granted such a sight would be proprietary. They just need to extend the mount further to the rear and leave space for a low profile rear sight that will properly line up with a suppressor/tall front.

There are only a couple ways for this to accommodate slide mounted iron sights. Make super tall sights (and the rear would either have to be removed, or I guess folding (can you imagine folding sights on a Glock? ;) ), or make the mount very very high.

Have a look
http://i.imgur.com/034SxK2.jpg

You could do something like this, and have the irons built right into the mount (pictured is a yet to be released Raven Concealment mount)

http://i.imgur.com/0vJ6Cdb.jpg

titsonritz
09-29-15, 11:57
I think what he is talking about is a design modification to the mount itself to include an integral rear sight.

Dave_M
09-29-15, 13:47
I think what he is talking about is a design modification to the mount itself to include an integral rear sight.

Well in that case it would still take a massively tall front sight. Having them on the mount itself would be viable (though like not adjustable and with an extremely short sight radius).

In addition to the Raven pre-production above, Dueck Defense just did this with an RMR mount
https://dueckdefense.com/shop/firearms/red-dot-back-up-sight-base/

Uprange41
09-29-15, 16:18
OK, I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I have my 2 MOA in my AR's receiver and my 4 MOA on my AK with a Ultimak. I find I prefer that setup with the 2 MOA closer to my eyes and 4 MOA further away. I figure the 6-second will place the Aimpoint about midway between my AR and AK setup but with intended engagement distances much closer than the rifles so I am leaning toward the 4 MOA but I'm not sure since I don't have one yet.

Heh, I'm doing the exact same thing... A 2 MOA on an AR, and a couple 4 MOA's on Ultimaks.

The ALG should put the dot just an inch or two ahead of where the Ultimak places it. At least, it would for me, just from looking at where it should end up when I'm extended with a Glock, and where the Ultimak puts it.

titsonritz
09-29-15, 17:36
Heh, I'm doing the exact same thing... A 2 MOA on an AR, and a couple 4 MOA's on Ultimaks.

The ALG should put the dot just an inch or two ahead of where the Ultimak places it. At least, it would for me, just from looking at where it should end up when I'm extended with a Glock, and where the Ultimak puts it.

Yeah I just check it out too, with a squared stance the AK will put out a little further than the Glock but with a bladed stance the Glock is out a little further for me.

El Cid
11-07-15, 20:28
Received one of the holsters I ordered for the 6SM and G17L. It's from Advanced Holster and I'm pleased so far. Fit and finish is great and it has solid lock up of the weapon. I can't give it a full shakedown until I get the Safariland QLS fork/plate system.

http://www.advancedholster.com

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0543_zpsbwmjhzr8.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsk83vb9fc.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpskpgbz52q.jpg

misfit47
11-08-15, 11:57
Open class gone tactical?

Exiledviking
11-28-15, 13:59
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/28/d22f897fbb6726ad3352a63bc0a4d026.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/28/95f0c0d1e8e78fa0d8c3d49fd5cabaa9.jpg

I'm really enjoying my setup. Ended up with a 4 MOA dot. That dot really helps with my aging eyes.

one
11-28-15, 20:39
That's a tremendous group. May I Ask what distance?

Exiledviking
11-28-15, 20:45
That's a tremendous group. May I Ask what distance?
Thank you. Ha ha. It's 10 rounds (5 rounds out 1 magazine followed by a mag change for another 5 rounds) at a measly 8 yards. I've never been a bullseye shooter but roughly 8 months ago I decided I needed to improve in that area. I've improved but I still have far to go.

one
11-28-15, 21:35
Better than I've done with my 6 second. I'm just not as fast as I am with irons. I did put it back on my 17 to see what I can accomplish with it

Dave_M
11-29-15, 02:10
Received one of the holsters I ordered for the 6SM and G17L. It's from Advanced Holster and I'm pleased so far. Fit and finish is great and it has solid lock up of the weapon. I can't give it a full shakedown until I get the Safariland QLS fork/plate system.

http://www.advancedholster.com

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0543_zpsbwmjhzr8.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsk83vb9fc.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpskpgbz52q.jpg

That right there is the original.

Swamp Yankee
12-03-15, 12:30
ALG is now selling the Raven Concealment Bucket of Justice holsters directly on their website.

http://algdefense.com/accessories/glock/holsters.html

andersenvincent7
12-03-15, 19:36
I would really like to try one of these to see if it is more difficult to track the dot as compared to when the optic is mounted on the slide

jwfuhrman
12-03-15, 19:44
I shoot open for 3gun and USPSA and was using a slide mounted RMR06 but after getting one of these mounts and putting my T1 on it, I;ll never use anything else. I've since built a Gen4 G34 open gun with a 4 port lone wolf barrel(ports up thru the slide cut out).

I'm in need of a holster for this setup, I don't run a light on it. Prefer it with a Bladetech TekLok as that is what my gear is setup to use.

one
12-03-15, 21:21
That looks like a safariland paddle. So maybe a corresponding G Code backer would work?

Dave_M
12-04-15, 00:08
I would really like to try one of these to see if it is more difficult to track the dot as compared to when the optic is mounted on the slide

It's unquestionably easier. With a slide mounted RDS you have to work with recoil and reciprocation to pick up that dot again. Just recoil with the ALG, plus it's a little forward heavy which lessens felt recoil even more.

Dave_M
12-04-15, 00:13
I shoot open for 3gun and USPSA and was using a slide mounted RMR06 but after getting one of these mounts and putting my T1 on it, I;ll never use anything else. I've since built a Gen4 G34 open gun with a 4 port lone wolf barrel(ports up thru the slide cut out).

I'm in need of a holster for this setup, I don't run a light on it. Prefer it with a Bladetech TekLok as that is what my gear is setup to use.

Many of the options will work with a WML installed or not. Of course, it's added bulk that you may not want. There's always the custom route. I did a roundup a few months back on some options
http://www.recoilweb.com/han-holster-roundup-options-for-your-6-second-mount-73019.html

jwfuhrman
12-04-15, 07:47
Many of the options will work with a WML installed or not. Of course, it's added bulk that you may not want. There's always the custom route. I did a roundup a few months back on some options
http://www.recoilweb.com/han-holster-roundup-options-for-your-6-second-mount-73019.html

After thinking about it. Its open, I may as well run it with a light! adds a little more weight to the front of the gun and well, its Open, so I can do what I want lol.

Dave_M
12-11-15, 17:49
As an FYI, ALG is currently selling 6 Second Mounts for $150
http://algdefense.com/6-second-mount.html

Exiledviking
12-11-15, 18:12
That's crazy!!! Smoking deal! Thanks for the heads-up. Passed it on to a good friend who's on the fence. Makes me think about picking up another one...

Dave_M
12-11-15, 18:19
That's crazy!!! Smoking deal! Thanks for the heads-up. Passed it on to a good friend who's on the fence. Makes me think about picking up another one...

For real. I saw that and immediately considered it

SPDGG
12-11-15, 21:04
WORD. Thank you for the post/heads up!

Glad they came out with a RMR version

Chameleox
12-12-15, 00:59
I just wished myself a Merry Christmas.

MadAngler1
12-14-15, 12:46

Dave_M, thanks for the tip! I ordered one.

Quick question for those of you running this mount with an Aimpoint T-1: Do you prefer a Glock 17 or a Glock 34? Likewise generation 3 or 4?

I have a gen 3 G17 already, and I want to purchase an extra Glock just for this set up (Aimpoint T1). I would use this for steel matches, home defense (if I like it enough to replace my G17 or HK P30 with HD sights in that role) and multigun (if permitted).

I figured the red dot is worth a try. If I don't like it, I can always sell the mount. I have bad eyes (-9D with astigmatism), and it is hard for me to discriminate smaller targets (10 and x rings) beyond 15 yards relative to my front sight. The red dot may or may not help me. It works well on my ARs, so it may be worth a try.

DaBigBR
12-14-15, 17:04
Ordered one as well. They even applied the $100 off to LE price, so I paid a paltry $135 for it.

Now to find a 4 MOA H1 for it...

misfit47
12-14-15, 17:15
Looks like I waited too long. Back to full price!

El Cid
12-14-15, 18:12
Quick question for those of you running this mount with an Aimpoint T-1: Do you prefer a Glock 17 or a Glock 34? Likewise generation 3 or 4?

My recommendation is to put it on whichever pistol you shoot best. The big advantage to a 34 is the sight radius but with a red dot that is moot. There's a pretty good thread at pistol forum about how a red dot sight allows guys to use a more concealable gun (G19) without any loss in accuracy to a 17 or even 34.

I put my 6SM on a 17L. It is my softest, best shooting glock and was already my bedside gun. Now it's a dream to shoot and if I can't get to a rifle my HD pistol has a red dot.

As for Gen 3 vs 4 it doesn't matter with the optic mount. But their mag well only works on Gen 3 guns.

El Cid
12-24-15, 15:59
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1766_zpsyjydl8mp.jpg

misfit47
12-24-15, 16:02
Anyone buy a purple one they changed their mind about?

Mrgunsngear
12-25-15, 04:39
http://i.imgur.com/4zhk8Owl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kilauUil.jpg

This thing is rock solid for sure.

georgeib
12-25-15, 09:12
http://i.imgur.com/4zhk8Owl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kilauUil.jpg

This thing is rock solid for sure.
How easy is the dot to reacquire during fast strings of fire?

Eurodriver
12-25-15, 09:32
Good question. I understand the dot doesn't move with the slide cycling but that dot is awfully high above the bore. I'd be interested in shooting a milled G19 with an RMR and one of these side by side.

Has anyone done this?

Mrgunsngear
12-25-15, 14:21
How easy is the dot to reacquire during fast strings of fire?

For me I find it slightly slower just due to height. But, I'd imagine that with more time I'd get faster with it. It does track better than say a slide mounted RMR though...

georgeib
12-25-15, 14:22
For me I find it slightly slower just due to height. But, I'd imagine that with more time I'd get faster with it. It does track better than say a slide mounted RMR though...
Thank you for the reply. Pretty much as I suspected.

Exiledviking
12-25-15, 14:27
To me the biggest hurdle is initially picking up the dot on the draw or from low ready. I find follow up shots to be just about as fast as with irons if not a little faster when going for accuracy.

Joe R.
12-25-15, 22:34
Mrgunsngear, what holster is that?

titsonritz
12-25-15, 23:38
Mrgunsngear, what holster is that?

Looks like an Advanced Holster AMS-6S (http://advancedholster.com/products/ams-6s-holster) to me.

Joe R.
12-26-15, 14:51
Thanks!

Looks like an Advanced Holster AMS-6S (http://advancedholster.com/products/ams-6s-holster) to me.

waveslayer
12-26-15, 18:40
not to high jack this thread but a UM Tactical mount will mount to almost every gun with a picatinny rail and any optic will mount to it.

plus there is a holster that fits any gun that had the mount attached to it. the holster fits to the mount, not the gun. the best part about the UM Tactical mount is it requires NO gun smiting!

you can slide it on and off.

www.umtactical.com

DaBigBR
12-27-15, 08:11
not to high jack this thread but a UM Tactical mount will mount to almost every gun with a picatinny rail and any optic will mount to it.

plus there is a holster that fits any gun that had the mount attached to it. the holster fits to the mount, not the gun. the best part about the UM Tactical mount is it requires NO gun smiting!

you can slide it on and off.

www.umtactical.com

It looks like a nice range toy. Single point of attachment, easy on/off, rides higher than the ALG. For a competition gun, maybe. For a carry or home defense gun, I think no.

El Cid
12-27-15, 09:13
It looks like a nice range toy. Single point of attachment, easy on/off, rides higher than the ALG. For a competition gun, maybe. For a carry or home defense gun, I think no.

And if it attaches to a plastic rail how well does it hold zero?

waveslayer
12-27-15, 09:58
holds an absolute zero. if you screw on your red dot until the mount touches itself you get 100 % return to zero.

as for the ones that say it's too high, have they used the other mounts out there? not much difference. besides how many of you carry with a red dot? very very few if any! so yes it can be used for self defense, not a everyday carry weapon. but for the little wife at home its perfect, no more lining up the sights dear. just put the red dot on where you want to shoot!

waveslayer
12-27-15, 09:59
where's the single point?

it holds to the single picatinny rail sonit wont slide forward, but it compresses to the whole slide. so in fact it has a full contact.

if you are able to attend SHOT go check them out.

Eurodriver
12-27-15, 10:13

Apples to oranges, but I have a Surefire X400V that attaches to the plastic rail and has held zero despite deliberate attempts to test it's durability. This was a significant concern for me as well, mounting a laser to a Glock's plastic rail, but it appears to be of no issue.

waveslayer
12-27-15, 10:32
Apples to oranges, but I have a Surefire X400V that attaches to the plastic rail and has held zero despite deliberate attempts to test it's durability. This was a significant concern for me as well, mounting a laser to a Glock's plastic rail, but it appears to be of no issue.
most guns are plastic unless you are using a Sig or CZ... and there are no issues as you stated

El Cid must use revolvers not knowing almost all the guns are plastic...

El Cid
12-27-15, 12:28
most guns are plastic unless you are using a Sig or CZ... and there are no issues as you stated

El Cid must use revolvers not knowing almost all the guns are plastic...
Yes silly boy - that must be it. I specifically said plastic because this thread is about the 6 Second Mount which is only available for Glocks.

Maybe you should get back in your lane and start a separate thread about your amazing mount. Then you can share all your experience with it that causes you to say there are no issues and it it holds zero. How many rounds do you have through it? How many times have you removed and re-mounted it?

it holds to the single picatinny rail sonit wont slide forward, but it compresses to the whole slide. so in fact it has a full contact.

And you say it compresses the slide. I hope you meant side. Your SHOT show comment makes me inclined to believe you could be shilling for the manufacturer.

El Cid
12-27-15, 12:34

Sounds right. Surefire generally gets their stuff right. They are a proven company where UM Tac is one I've never heard of before.

And I'm not saying RTZ can't be achieved with plastic frame rails. I was asking their marketing guy in this thread if they can make that claim.

waveslayer
12-27-15, 12:38
Sounds right. Surefire generally gets their stuff right. They are a proven company where UM Tac is one I've never heard of before.

And I'm not saying RTZ can't be achieved with plastic frame rails. I was asking their marketing guy in this thread if they can make that claim.
Glad I got a new job because Healthcare has been rough with Obama screwing me! I will hut UM Tactical up for some good wages.

and yes the claim is true, I have no issues with mine. they are even in the Smith and Wesson catalog under their accessories. .. but they aren't legit I guess...

El Cid
12-27-15, 12:43
Glad I got a new job because Healthcare has been rough with Obama screwing me! I will hut UM Tactical up for some good wages.

and yes the claim is true, I have no issues with mine. they are even in the Smith and Wesson catalog under their accessories. .. but they aren't legit I guess...

This is a site where we try to quantify our reviews of products. You have twice said no issues. That is meaningless without knowing how many rounds you've shot with the mount. How many times it's been removed and held zero. Knowing which platform you use is also good information. Unless you have "SME" under your screen name, just saying it has no issues doesn't contribute much of anything.

waveslayer
12-27-15, 12:53
This is a site where we try to quantify our reviews of products. You have twice said no issues. That is meaningless without knowing how many rounds you've shot with the mount. How many times it's been removed and held zero. Knowing which platform you use is also good information. Unless you have "SME" under your screen name, just saying it has no issues doesn't contribute much of anything.
sent a PM answering your questions in am attempt to keep the OP alive. glad it's just for a Block, I meant a Glock, sorry

El Cid
12-27-15, 12:57
sent a PM answering your questions in am attempt to keep the OP alive. glad it's just for a Block, I meant a Glock, sorry

Lol! Got it. Thanks.

Those are impressive round counts. Why not start a thread for that mount? The people should know they have options.

DaBigBR
12-27-15, 19:09

The single point of attachment is the rail. Friction with the frame is not attachment. Friction is not repeatable, either. The ALG mount has two solid attachment points at the locking block pin and the rail cross slot.

waveslayer
12-27-15, 21:56
The single point of attachment is the rail. Friction with the frame is not attachment. Friction is not repeatable, either. The ALG mount has two solid attachment points at the locking block pin and the rail cross slot.
PM me and I can answer your question, and to be brief it mounts with zero movement and requires no pins. if it didn't work then it wouldn't sell or work , but it does. it also indexes off of the picatinny rail. if that moved then how do all of your cool flash lights and cool lasers stay on your guns?....

DaBigBR
12-28-15, 17:46
PM me and I can answer your question, and to be brief it mounts with zero movement and requires no pins. if it didn't work then it wouldn't sell or work , but it does. it also indexes off of the picatinny rail. if that moved then how do all of your cool flash lights and cool lasers stay on your guns?....

I don't recall asking a question. You sure seem to have a lot invested in this product, defending it so fiercely. I am satisfied with the Six Second Mount and with ALG Defense.

waveslayer
12-28-15, 18:02
I don't recall asking a question. You sure seem to have a lot invested in this product, defending it so fiercely. I am satisfied with the Six Second Mount and with ALG Defense.
I will defend anything that's worthy to defend , don't knock it until you try it. I only shared another option, then some false claims were made, I just stated the facts. so if that's defending something fiercely then I guess I am. still waiting for your PM to answer your questions regarding the mount. you seem to know all about it but yet you don't.

t1tan
12-28-15, 19:50
Nobody cares, can we just get back to the titled item?

Dave_M
12-29-15, 12:36
There are a lot of different RDS pistol mounts out there as they've been around for decades. They span the scale from Carver to CAA. I don't know where 'UM Tactical' falls in, but I know it shouldn't belong in a thread specifically dedicated to the ALG 6-Second Mount.

MountainRaven
01-06-16, 20:55
Observations on the AFM - ALG Flared Magwell - the Six-Second Mount's sister product:

1- Works fine with PMags. Better than fine, as the Pmags stick out of the pistol ever so slightly more than the stock magazines with stock baseplates, thereby protruding ever so slightly from the AFM, causing me to feel very comfortable slamming the Pmags into the well, certain that they will seat.
2- Doesn't get along with Vickers base plates at all - I guess I'll be running what 17 mags I have either just through my 19 or I'll swap the Vickers plates for Glock +2 extensions.
3- Doesn't play well with TTI magazine extensions (although it should be a simple enough process to modify the steel pin on the back of the extension to get it to work, just needs to be trimmed a little bit).

The brass plug is an extremely tight fit to the frame - I had to hammer mine into place. And then I promptly broke the screw to anchor the magwell into the plug while tightening it - although it appears that the mag well isn't going anywhere with as much of the screw as is left in place - which is fine by me, so long as it doesn't come off. The plug and magwell - without modification - did not change the geometry sufficiently to keep mags from dropping free.

So far - even though I feel like I've boogered it up lightly with my Russian gunsmithing (if hammer does not work, get bigger hammer), I'm pretty happy with it. Just wish that it would work with the Vickers plates. And didn't need to be hammered into place. And that I wasn't able to get enough torque on the magwell-to-plug screw with a Leatherman Tread (bracelet multitool) to break the screw.

RAM Engineer
01-06-16, 21:44
I had specifically asked ALG what base plates work with their magwell. This was their response:

"Thank you for contacting us. The factory glock extended mag bases and the taran tactical ones will work. I hope this helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance."

El Cid
01-06-16, 21:58
My TTI base pads work just fine with mine. The LAV pass of course don't.

Fjallharfn, you had to hammer in the brass plug? Were you trying it in a Gen 4 by chance? Mine went in rather easily.

ETA:
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1241_zpsqdfmlqpy.jpg

MountainRaven
01-06-16, 22:38
Grey frame RTF2.

Seating the magazine with the TTI extension drives the steel pin out the bottom of the extension and scuffs the finish on the AFM.

El Cid
01-07-16, 08:47
Grey frame RTF2.

Seating the magazine with the TTI extension drives the steel pin out the bottom of the extension and scuffs the finish on the AFM.

Weird... I have 3 or 4 TTI extended mags and they all work (tested them after realizing the LAV pads didn't). My 17L is a few years old. I wonder if the newer RTF2 frames are different?

MountainRaven
01-07-16, 09:20
Weird... I have 3 or 4 TTI extended mags and they all work (tested them after realizing the LAV pads didn't). My 17L is a few years old. I wonder if the newer RTF2 frames are different?

My thought is that the color additive to achieve the grey color might make the frame somewhat oversized in some dimensions. It's also possible that the steel pin on my TTI extension is longer than spec.

I'll take a picture of the extension after work, with the pin sitting just high enough in the extension to clear the AFM.

tonyxcom
01-07-16, 09:43
I had to take a Dremel to my ALG magwell to clear the TTI +3/4 mag extensions.

I wonder if there has been a revision to the magwell. I got mine when the 6sec mounts shipped.

El Cid
01-07-16, 09:48
My thought is that the color additive to achieve the grey color might make the frame somewhat oversized in some dimensions. It's also possible that the steel pin on my TTI extension is longer than spec.

I'll take a picture of the extension after work, with the pin sitting just high enough in the extension to clear the AFM.

I have a gray RTF2 frame. I installed a grip plug and it fit without issue. Times like this I wish I had some nice calipers.

I had to take a Dremel to my ALG magwell to clear the TTI +3/4 mag extensions.

I wonder if there has been a revision to the magwell. I got mine when the 6sec mounts shipped.

I got my magwell recently (Black Friday) when they offered them for free with the purchase of a 6SM.

tonyxcom
01-07-16, 10:48
Ok so the Dremel slipped a few times. :) I pained the raw metal with some Birchwood Casey. I had to whittle away into the brass before it cleared.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4481604/forum-pics/AFMvsTTI.jpg

RAM Engineer
01-07-16, 13:43
I got my magwell recently (Black Friday) when they offered them for free with the purchase of a 6SM.

It think you may have just figured it out.

titsonritz
01-07-16, 15:03
I had specifically asked ALG what base plates work with their magwell. This was their response:

"Thank you for contacting us. The factory glock extended mag bases and the taran tactical ones will work. I hope this helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance."

Anyone try the Arredondo +5?

el_chingoton13
01-07-16, 16:05
Anyone having issues with failures of the slide to lock back with TTi base pads and the ALG magwell?

tonyxcom
01-07-16, 16:10
I haven't seen that but I only have maybe 500 rounds though mine. (too many guns)

el_chingoton13
01-07-16, 16:17
I was having them from the get go and I also got a decent gouge from the retaining pin.

El Cid
01-07-16, 17:56
Anyone try the Arredondo +5?

No issues here, but then my ALG magwell doesn't have issues with the Taran pads. Before the TTI pads were out I used the Arredondos quite a bit. Great luck with the 9mm but the G21 versions nose dived no matter what spring I used.

tonyxcom
01-07-16, 19:10
I was having them from the get go and I also got a decent gouge from the retaining pin.

So the pins are hitting the magwell? That might explain your other problem too.

el_chingoton13
01-07-16, 20:52
That's what I was thinking. I never put the two together. I just went back to regular pads.

SPDGG
01-17-16, 14:49
Mrs.'s HD update - mock up

* Still need to add/do:
- Trijicon RMR RM07
- Magwell
- Reprofile/Texture grip-frame

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/fkim2003/G17%20G4%20ALG%20ATEI%20RMR%20Mock%20Up/Mock%20Up_zps3sc9doy2.jpg

one
01-17-16, 15:42
I actually hadn't thought about the compact SF light on there. I like that

El Cid
01-18-16, 07:28
David (or anyone else who may be in the know),

Any word on 6SM holsters for the RMR version? Maybe it's just me, but they seem like a longer wait than we had for the Aimpoint version. Thanks!

titsonritz
01-22-16, 17:18
No issues here, but then my ALG magwell doesn't have issues with the Taran pads. Before the TTI pads were out I used the Arredondos quite a bit. Great luck with the 9mm but the G21 versions nose dived no matter what spring I used.
Thanks

Falcon7
01-25-16, 19:42

Any word on 6SM holsters for the RMR version? Maybe it's just me, but they seem like a longer wait than we had for the Aimpoint version. Thanks!

The RMR version holster is in the works over at Advanced Holster. Not sure when they'll be shipping.

SPDGG
01-30-16, 18:13
fwiw:

Really dig the G17/ALG 6 Sec./RM07 setup so far. . . . For me, It's going to take some getting use to the dot over bore from using irons, never had a Open type setup . . . . only some range time with the Mrs. will see if this stays bedside for her, "practice makes perfect".
Initial impressions are ALL Positive for intended use/app. . . . . . Still need a few more pieces, & then some time to grind/texture it out.

opngrnd
01-30-16, 18:47
This thread makes me want a Gen 3 Glock.

I wonder how this set up would work suppressed. You certainly don't have to worry about obscured sights.

SPDGG
01-30-16, 19:01
I wonder how this set up would work suppressed. You certainly don't have to worry about obscured sights.
^ Do it! :)

* I think these setups would be PERFECT for a suppressor
I hope I can get everything all said & done, paperwork wise, on a size configurable 9mm can. Plan to run a Shorter "K" can in the near future

El Cid
01-31-16, 10:29
The RMR version holster is in the works over at Advanced Holster. Not sure when they'll be shipping.

Thanks. I will keep an eye out.

You can use the 6SM on Gen 4's.

^ Do it! :)

* I think these setups would be PERFECT for a suppressor
I hope I can get everything all said & done, paperwork wise, on a size configurable 9mm can. Plan to run a Shorter "K" can in the near future

That's exactly my plan. Have everything now and waiting for ATF to let me have the suppressor.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpszxsmdnkn.jpg

SPDGG
02-10-16, 21:36
Update:

Trijicon RMR Adj. LED 6.5MOA RM07

To do(s):
- Still need to add an ALG Defense Supersonic Gen4 Magwell
- Profile/Texture the frame
- Sight it in

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/fkim2003/G17%20G4%20ALG%20ATEI%20RMR%20Mock%20Up/IMG_3916_zpslxj9elyy.jpg

El Cid
02-12-16, 19:45
Update:

Trijicon RMR Adj. LED 6.5MOA RM07

To do(s):
- Still need to add an ALG Defense Supersonic Gen4 Magwell
- Profile/Texture the frame
- Sight it in

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/fkim2003/G17%20G4%20ALG%20ATEI%20RMR%20Mock%20Up/IMG_3916_zpslxj9elyy.jpg

Looking good!

Finally got mine to the range with the new bbl.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3681_zpsm1kqsbhd.jpg

15 rounds at 25 yards, slow fire.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsowwwydjf.jpg

opngrnd
02-12-16, 22:11
How well does the dot track? Any similarity to a red dot on a carbine?

MSparks909
02-14-16, 15:45
I think I would really like this setup if I could get my Gen4 34 to run more than a magazine before having the brass get jammed between the slide and 6-Second mount...ejection is piss poor even with Apex parts. Same with my other Gen4 17.

misfit47
02-14-16, 16:27
I think I would really like this setup if I could get my Gen4 34 to run more than a magazine before having the brass get jammed between the slide and 6-Second mount...ejection is piss poor even with Apex parts. Same with my other Gen4 17.
Have you tried using the oem parts?

SPDGG
02-14-16, 17:41
Never made any issues with any 9mm Gen4 I have.
All use the Apex Tactical Extractor & recommended parts.

Same-same with OE RSA or Jager/ISMI RSA
Same-same with Reloads or Manuf. ammo.; 115/124/147

fwiw/imho: I'd call Glock & ask to start a return for repair/inspection/etc.

MSparks909
02-14-16, 19:24
Have you tried using the oem parts?

Yep. Messed up with stock parts so figured I'd try to fix the problem with Apex stuff. Have tried 115, 124 and 147gr. ammo. Glocks have been shelved for a while because I've been on a DA/SA Beretta kick, but I'll work on fixing them later this spring.

Mjolnir
07-04-16, 22:03
How have these setups been running with everyone?

Is it deemed "good to go" in your estimation?

Pros?

Cons?

Thanks

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Kilo 1-1
07-05-16, 02:21
How have these setups been running with everyone?

Is it deemed "good to go" in your estimation?

Pros?

Cons?

Thanks

I have about 1000 rounds through mine.
Pros: No permanent alteration to host weapon and optic isn't beat up by reciprocating slide. Allows for fast follow up shot and easy to track dot. After removing the mount completely and putting it back onto the frame, it holds zero. I was surprised as there's some flex/give with the Glock frame, but this is a sample size of one.

Cons: Front heavy. Nearly impossible to carry because of size. No way to use irons as a way to find your dot when presenting the gun forward (as with co-witnessed sights), but practice can overcome this. Make sure you're not shooting weak powered ammo or you'll have a stove pipe once in a while because of the mount sitting over the ejection port (happened to me about 3 or 4 times with Winchester White Box). Maybe using a newer Gen 4 ejector will fix this, as I have the new ejectors in my other Gen 3s except for this gun (never had ejection issues prior to this).

Conclusion: Works as advertised, but doesn't really solve a problem I had from before. I bought this as a general way to test shooting with optics on Glocks (this was before the Glock MOS line came out). Ultimately, I prefer good, precise iron sights for handguns. The weight can be both good and bad, as the extra weight up front helps keep the muzzle down when shooting quickly. This feels like more of a toy for me, but I do trust it as a night stand gun with the optic and a light after shooting this much with it. I also have a Gen 3 19 as a back-up near by.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/2/1630/24934636830_6fc6640401_b.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/2/1558/24599591194_35fc8a7719_b.jpg

Chameleox
07-05-16, 15:34
I like mine. I had a G17 and an Aimpoint that I wasn't using, and ALG had a sale going. I wanted to:
A: to test the concept of an optic-equipped handgun without committing to milling a slide.
And
B: test the concept as an HD option

My experience mirrors Kilo1-1's. It is a heavy and bulky SOB, but it shoots well, and I have no problems finding and tracking the dot. Not a gun for any sort of concealed carry, and not for most scenarios of open carry (other than the range, hunting, or as a new school ranch handgun).

As a potential nightstand gun, it does well. I find that it offers me good accuracy, fast target acquisition (4moa dot is fine in this role), and still allows for one handed operation so I can hold onto a kid's hand, open or close a door, etc.

I have not noticed any issues with weapon function or reliability. No failure to eject or feed, no issues with the pins walking out (they're screwed in- use a small dab of loctite). In opposition to Kilo's observations, mine has been running almost exclusively on Winchester White Box; I will point out though that my base gun is a vintage 2001 G17, so that might be a factor.

Interesting data point: about a month after I got it put together, the Aimpoint began to blink out during one range session, that died out altogether. Aimpoint made it right. I asked them if this was an issue with the mount, and they reported that they had not seen it yet on guns with much higher round counts. I chalked it up to an old optic. Since receiving the fix, I have not had a problem at all, and I have not heard of this being an issue with anyone else.

TL;DR- If you don't want to mill the slide, or have an optics ready gun, or just prefer the Aimpoint, this might be your thing.

Exiledviking
11-11-16, 11:54
Anyone running the 6SM on a gen 3 G22? I've been very happy with it on my gen 3 G34 and I'm thinking of trying it on a gen 3 G22. I remember there being issues with the gen 3 Glock 22s when there was a WML attached. Curious if the 6SM has caused similar problems. IIRC, the 6SM was developed for some really high speed, low drag gentlemen in the Army using .40 caliber Glocks so I'm sure they tested it thoroughly.

Mrgunsngear
11-11-16, 15:02
Anyone running the 6SM on a gen 3 G22? I've been very happy with it on my gen 3 G34 and I'm thinking of trying it on a gen 3 G22. I remember there being issues with the gen 3 Glock 22s when there was a WML attached. Curious if the 6SM has caused similar problems. IIRC, the 6SM was developed for some really high speed, low drag gentlemen in the Army using .40 caliber Glocks so I'm sure they tested it thoroughly.

You'll see a lot of rounds go downrange in the video below which was shot exclusively with a Gen3 G35. Most with a light FWIW. Not a single issue at all of any kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNB1AMs7gGs

opngrnd
11-11-16, 20:10
You'll see a lot of rounds go downrange in the video below which was shot exclusively with a Gen3 G35. Most with a light FWIW. Not a single issue at all of any kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNB1AMs7gGs

Excellent review! As I narrow down my projects for the year, this is one that has stayed on the drawing board. The upside-down shooting at the end was pretty neat.

misfit47
11-11-16, 20:12
I'm hoping they go on sale again this black Friday since missed out last time!

_Stormin_
11-12-16, 19:35
I'm hoping they go on sale again this black Friday since missed out last time!

I'm in this boat right now... Waiting a few weeks to see if it might save me a few nickels. :-D

opngrnd
11-12-16, 19:40
I'm in this boat right now... Waiting a few weeks to see if it might save me a few nickels. :-D

Same here. If they go on sale again it'll probably clinch the deal for me.

Falcon7
08-21-17, 08:51

Advanced Holster launched their AMS-6S V2 last week and it looks like they have support for the RMR 6 Second Mount now.
https://nebula.wsimg.com/obj/QUY3N0JGNUU5NEE1RjNFMzNCRDc6Mjg1MGIxNzE3ZTg4YTcxNWQzZmJlNjI0MjY3MDQ5MjQ6Ojo6OjA=

https://advancedholster.com/products/ams-6s-v2

https://nebula.wsimg.com/obj/QUY3N0JGNUU5NEE1RjNFMzNCRDc6YWE5NzhjMDQ1NTc0NDFmZDNmODlkZWQ0YjllYTlmODI6Ojo6OjA=

El Cid
08-22-17, 07:06
Advanced Holster launched their AMS-6S V2 last week and it looks like they have support for the RMR 6 Second Mount now.
https://nebula.wsimg.com/obj/QUY3N0JGNUU5NEE1RjNFMzNCRDc6Mjg1MGIxNzE3ZTg4YTcxNWQzZmJlNjI0MjY3MDQ5MjQ6Ojo6OjA=

https://advancedholster.com/products/ams-6s-v2

https://nebula.wsimg.com/obj/QUY3N0JGNUU5NEE1RjNFMzNCRDc6YWE5NzhjMDQ1NTc0NDFmZDNmODlkZWQ0YjllYTlmODI6Ojo6OjA=

Sweet! Thanks for the update!

t1tan
08-22-17, 12:28
At this point I think the Surefire Masterfire setup is probably going to be what I run for my 6SM build