PDA

View Full Version : Federal MK319 130gr Mod 0 SOST OMT Ammo

mr.robbdee
01-09-15, 14:05
Would the new DPMS GEN II RECON with a 1 in 10 twist 16" barrel support Federal/ATK MK319 130gr Mod 0 SOST ammo with fair accuracy and range? If capable what would be the longest range for this type of ammo to be effective on Hog's?

LRRPF52
01-09-15, 16:02
That load was meant to run 2925fps from the SCAR-H with a 16" barrel, and 2750fps from the SCAR-H with 13" barrel.

The BC on the bullet sucks, but it makes a great hog hunting bullet within ranges where you are capable of placing the shot. It has a flat base, so it's going to bleed energy fast, so it gasses out quickly. For most hunting distances, it won't matter, because you're looking at 200yds an in.

What's your shooting background and experience, if I may ask?

mr.robbdee
01-09-15, 16:50
Two or three, hog trips if lucky, a year down South Carolina and or Florida. I use an ARP 16" barrel chambered in 6.8 x 43 on a WMD receiver topped off with a 1.25 x 4 Leupold Pig Plex with fire dot. I like using 85gr TSX but now do to price I have been using Federal 90gr Gold Dots and both work well on some pretty big pigs. My best was around 200lbs at 75m took two of the 90's. Shot in military, not combat, don't laugh I was a Crew Chief in the Air Force during Desert Shield/Storm. That's ware I gained my love for shooting and especially A.R's. So as you can tell short range shooting is ware I play. These area's very seldom are not more then 300m.

LRRPF52
01-09-15, 17:29
What's wrong with your current set-up? Sounds like you are already well-equipped to kill pigs with what you have.

mr.robbdee
01-09-15, 19:28
Your right, but, I wanted a .308 before I built my current setup in 6.8 X43. I was even thinking about a Saiga .308. Then the gun craze happened two years ago and I bought the first AR that I could get a Bushmaster ORC. Then I started reading info from 6.8 forums and had to build an AR in 6.8. Anything that was given birth by SOCOM I had to have. Plus, I have three teenage boys who want to go hog hunting and after reading and seeing all the good videos on the GEN II RECON and the S&W MP10 I just want to add a AR10 type system to my stable. Thanks LRRPF52 for the great info.