PDA

View Full Version : Steel Cased Ammo for Malfunction Drills

acjones20
01-09-15, 19:15
This may seem crazy, but a great side-effect of running Tula in my AR has been that I've gotten very proficient at malfunction drills. I can count on 1 out of 100 having a hard primer and not lighting off (the first time or ever). The Tap-Rack-Bang comes naturally now. I keep good ammo in it for the house, of course, and my AR (Colt) has been extremely reliable otherwise. I do occasionally run this with some steel British mags also to get some bolt-over and double feed action ;) Bring on Mr. Murphy.

Mr blasty
01-09-15, 19:42
Is there a problem with the British steel mags? If they malf a lot then perhaps I'll have to pick up a couple.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

nimdabew
01-09-15, 20:02
I have shot over 7k rounds of tula, wolf, and wolf PMC. I had one malfunction. Something is wrong with your rifle.

plouffedaddy
01-09-15, 20:06
I have shot over 7k rounds of tula, wolf, and wolf PMC. I had one malfunction. Something is wrong with your rifle.

I'd take a look at this as well. I shoot lots of steel and RARELY have any issues in a wide variety of ARs.

acjones20
01-09-15, 20:24
Tula or Wolf? I never have problems with the Wolf...usually one per hundred of the Tula. Happens in my M&P 9 as well...

thecolter
01-10-15, 09:53
I've shot plenty of Wolf and Tula through my AR's with no issue. My 10.3" SBR runs on them just fine. Not a single ammo-related malfunction. I've always heard the horror stories about steel cased ammo, but I have yet to have any personal experience that supports the bad things you hear about it. The ammo may not be the most accurate thing in the world and it's quite dirty, but it works just fine for most training scenarios.

CatSnipah
01-10-15, 10:03
I've shot plenty of Wolf and Tula through my AR's with no issue. My 10.3" SBR runs on them just fine. Not a single ammo-related malfunction. I've always heard the horror stories about steel cased ammo, but I have yet to have any personal experience that supports the bad things you hear about it. The ammo may not be the most accurate thing in the world and it's quite dirty, but it works just fine for most training scenarios.

Pretty much agree with this on all points.

acjones20
01-10-15, 11:59
What would cause this then? This AR (Colt 6720 cut to 14.7 and pinned) runs like a top. Never a FTF or FTE, piles the brass in a neat little area, works w/ brass cased ammo 100% and steel case 99%.