PDA

View Full Version : Which can for 11.5" SBR?

kymudder08
01-09-15, 19:27
I'm waiting in my SBR stamp so now looking into cans. I'm more concerned with length and weight than decibels. So long as it hearing safe I'll be happy. I'm looking at two really hard right now, the silencerco specwar 556 and the specwar k 556. I looked at the saker but it seemed you were paying more for the modularity and being a tad bit lighter. What say you guys?

JG007
01-09-15, 19:58
I'm waiting in my SBR stamp so now looking into cans. I'm more concerned with length and weight than decibels. So long as it hearing safe I'll be happy. I'm looking at two really hard right now, the silencerco specwar 556 and the specwar k 556. I looked at the saker but it seemed you were paying more for the modularity and being a tad bit lighter. What say you guys?

if its for duty or serious use get the saker, if its for fun get the regular specwar, both of those are probably safe without ear pro, you will want ear pro with the K on an 11.5 which kind of defeats the purpose

HKGuns
01-09-15, 20:28
if its for duty or serious use get the saker, if its for fun get the regular specwar, both of those are probably safe without ear pro, you will want ear pro with the K on an 11.5 which kind of defeats the purpose

Why is the specwar only suited for recreational use? What does the saker have over it in durability? ETA: Serious question.

SkyLine1
01-09-15, 20:33
Specwar is rated for full auto and up to 300rum...what am I missing? Recreational use only?

ETA: just realized 556...redacted the 300rum.

LoveAR
01-09-15, 21:22
Mine is a Saker 556. 134 dbs.

scooter22
01-09-15, 22:00
Read through this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?163299-Is-There-A-Better-SBR-Suppressor-Than-The-Surefire-RC

themonk
01-09-15, 22:08
So long as it hearing safe I'll be happy.

556 is not really hearing safe with the best cans.

Kissel
01-09-15, 23:09
Saker is tough to beat.

kymudder08
01-10-15, 00:10
556 is not really hearing safe with the best cans.

I've shot a few 556 SBRs with various cans and it sounded about like a 22. To me that's hearing safe. Also, what makes the k not suitable for sbr use?

nate89
01-10-15, 00:51
I've shot a few 556 SBRs with various cans and it sounded about like a 22. To me that's hearing safe. Also, what makes the k not suitable for sbr use?

Usually a short barrel plus a short can makes for a pretty loud report still. I have shot 10.5" guns outside with a full sized can on and no ear pro, just to see what it was like. It was loud, but not unbearable. I imagine the same short barrel with a shorty can would still be pretty loud.

kymudder08
01-10-15, 01:40
I'll prolly go with full size specwar then. I don't see at as any less durable/reliable as the saker as someone else said

Serpico1985
01-10-15, 01:54
I went with a 556 specwar for the following reasons:

-Lifetime warranty no questions asked
-Full stellite baffle stack
-One of the quietest 556 cans and also on the lower end of the spectrum cost wise
-The ASR mount creates a seal and barrier between the gases and mounting threads preventing the can from seizing onto your muzzle and needing to be shot off
-supposedly does not give gas to the face nearly as bad as other cans

I was enamored with the Surefire RC as I usually go the more expensive route for peace of mind. However after looking at everything out there I feel very confident that the specwar will do everything I need it to for half the price of the surefire.

mrvip27
01-10-15, 04:23
Shot show is right around the corner...wait and see what comes out...and its gonna be good. my .02

mig1nc
01-10-15, 07:29
Don't discount the Ops Inc, now Allen Engineering, reflex cans. 11.5" is long enough to mount them with carbine gas.

Extremely low blow back. I absolutely love mine.

If you search this site, you'll find nothing but positive comments with the only real negative being that it limits your barrel and handguard choices.

Eurodriver
01-10-15, 09:14
Shot show is right around the corner...wait and see what comes out...and its gonna be good. my .02

This advice occurs every year, and every year poor bastards are stuck sitting on their hands 9 months after SHOT still waiting on suppressors to hit dealer shelves.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?162516-Shot-Show-2015-Your-predictions-of-what-we-ll-see/page4

themonk
01-10-15, 09:28

I agree with this. I would, and am waiting.

Eurodriver
01-10-15, 10:03
I agree with this. I would, and am waiting.

What is the logic with this? I don't mean to sound insulting, but I just do not get it.

Someone can buy a quality suppressor right now, and have it in their hands by April. Waiting til SHOT requires another 3 weeks just to see what is being released. Then, depending on the company, 9 more months to over a year for the new suppressor to ship to dealers. By then you have the 41P issue to worry about, not to mention being some company's beta tester, and you still have unpredictable NFA wait times that could have shot up to another year by then.

Waiting until SHOT makes sense for people with a big collection already, but for those with a few cans or those completely new it is mind boggling. Every single December/January people say "Wait for SHOT", and then every single May/June people flood the boards with "Any idea when the SR5/Saker/SDN6/TiRant/Octane9HD2 are shipping?"

kymudder08
01-10-15, 10:38
I try to go with what my dealer is a dealer of. He can get anything but he has better prices with the companies he has accounts with. He's a small dealer that runs out of his house. Nothing in stock so have to wait on the form 3. The only can he has in stock is an SAS .22 can that someone backed out of and has had for 3 years. Gonna buy that bad boy in a month for $200. It's not as cool or anything like the others on the market, but it's a .22 and $200 so well worth it imo. He actually has 2 in his personal collection as well as one in his personal collection

HKGuns
01-10-15, 10:38
Still looking for an answer as to why the SpecWar is for recreational use only........Since I've decided on that model I'd really like to understand that comment.

kymudder08
01-10-15, 10:42
I'm waiting too. I'm getting it regardless, but other than how it mounts being different, the interchangeable front, and the slight length/weight difference I don't see a quality difference. I feel like it's impossible to get the perfect can that's shorter/lighter and still be really quiet. Seems like unless you spend over a grand you can't have your cake and eat it too. This is gonna be my first can (waiting for taxes) so I don't wanna drop a grand on ONE item that has to sit at my dealer for months after I pay for it. Luckily though, he's a good friend and will bring it over and let me play with it while I wait lol

Serpico1985
01-10-15, 12:49
It was one persons opinion that it's only for fun and not for serious use.

The Saker has a different more durable design baffle stack that is rated for a 7.5" barrel and full auto fire. Objectively it is more durable than the Specwar. However, if your not doing mag dumps and shooting at a normal rate of fire the Specwar will likely outlast your barrel.

themonk
01-10-15, 16:06
What is the logic with this? I don't mean to sound insulting, but I just do not get it.

Someone can buy a quality suppressor right now, and have it in their hands by April. Waiting til SHOT requires another 3 weeks just to see what is being released. Then, depending on the company, 9 more months to over a year for the new suppressor to ship to dealers. By then you have the 41P issue to worry about, not to mention being some company's beta tester, and you still have unpredictable NFA wait times that could have shot up to another year by then.

Waiting until SHOT makes sense for people with a big collection already, but for those with a few cans or those completely new it is mind boggling. Every single December/January people say "Wait for SHOT", and then every single May/June people flood the boards with "Any idea when the SR5/Saker/SDN6/TiRant/Octane9HD2 are shipping?"

I understand what your saying and I am in no way insulted.

A year or two ago I was looking for a 762 can and I went with SDN6. The SDN6 is a good can and I like its durability and qd system. A month after I got it, silencerco came out with the Saker 762 which IMHO is an unbelievable deal. The ability to use several mounts for QD including AAC's, best in class materials, and the ability to throw the 556 end cap on on it that makes it quieter shooting 556 then their saker 556. If you want durability and quite, which are at the top of my list, the saker 762 is hard to beat.

Moral of the story; I was not in a rush to get the SDN6 and I should have waited. Its three weeks away, there is a good chance something may happen and also a good chance nothing eventful will come from it. I learned my lesson, I can wait.

themonk
01-10-15, 16:19
Still looking for an answer as to why the SpecWar is for recreational use only........Since I've decided on that model I'd really like to understand that comment.

I disagree with JG007's statement. From a durability standpoint they should be about the same and the Specwar is built like a tank. All things being equal, the Specwar will be a little bit quieter because its longer length. The Specwar is an excelent can with its limitation being the mount.

The advantage the Saker has, is it excels at versatility. It is a little bit lighter and little bit shorter than the Specwar. It can support all kinds of QD mounts, plus direct threads. It can mount on anything from a precision bolt rifle to an SBR. Its Slinecerco's top of the line can and you pay for those added features. If you don't need them, save yourself a few hundred bucks and get the Specwar.

smac61
01-10-15, 16:44
I understand what your saying and I am in no way insulted.

A year or two ago I was looking for a 762 can and I went with SDN6. The SDN6 is a good can and I like its durability and qd system. A month after I got it, silencerco came out with the Saker 762 which IMHO is an unbelievable deal. The ability to use several mounts for QD including AAC's, best in class materials, and the ability to throw the 556 end cap on on it that makes it quieter shooting 556 then their saker 556. If you want durability and quite, which are at the top of my list, the saker 762 is hard to beat.

Moral of the story; I was not in a rush to get the SDN6 and I should have waited. Its three weeks away, there is a good chance something may happen and also a good chance nothing eventful will come from it. I learned my lesson, I can wait.

I was going to purchase an sdn-6 last year, but for various reason$ did not. About a month ago I got ready to finally make the purchase and saw the Saker, so I went that way. If I had purchased the AAC last year, I'd be completely happy with my choice, and if Shot produces the new "cool kid" can this year, I doubt I'll loose any sleep over it. Besides, I'll be 2 months into the process by shot...

JG007
01-10-15, 18:25
On the one hand maybe I shouldn't have given an opinion without having a ton of data, but on the other hand,

Objectively, as mentioned, the saker is rated for more heavy duty use, particularly barrel length.

Subjectively, since I had narrowed my choices down to these two with SF being #3, while doing my research one large volume dealer that appeared knowledgeable (I over research everything, part of the thrill of the hunt) told me the same. I wasn't given a ton of specifics, but I don't believe there really were any. Unlike a lot of comparisons that involve weaknesses of one product, my conclusion was that there was no issues at all with the specwar and it's good to go, but just that the saker took things to another level of toughness compared to its competitors.

My mistake for phrasing it in duty vs non duty terms, maybe I should have said duty vs super/heavy duty......?

I'm just finally getting to put mine through some shooting on my sbr, I'd like to put a thousand or so through it before I give personal feedback, I was surprised that unlike guns, "suppressor A vs suppressor B" info was hard to get

JG007
01-10-15, 18:32
$820 vs $550 at silencershop

I was initially leaning towards the specwar being a touch quieter and possibly (?) less back pressure

I'm waiting too. I'm getting it regardless, but other than how it mounts being different, the interchangeable front, and the slight length/weight difference I don't see a quality difference. I feel like it's impossible to get the perfect can that's shorter/lighter and still be really quiet. Seems like unless you spend over a grand you can't have your cake and eat it too. This is gonna be my first can (waiting for taxes) so I don't wanna drop a grand on ONE item that has to sit at my dealer for months after I pay for it. Luckily though, he's a good friend and will bring it over and let me play with it while I wait lol

tbaker
01-10-15, 18:52
I'm more concerned with length and weight than decibels. So long as it hearing safe I'll be happy.

If the length/weight are the more deciding factors, you're best served with the SpecWar K over the standard Specwar.
Specwar K: 13.7oz, 6.2", $524
Specwar: 19.6oz, 7.3", $550 (I see you are in KY; these prices are pulled from SilencerShop here in TX)

I have the specwar on my 11.5" and you definitely notice the weight in front when you start to use it; you'll get used to it though

I'd still advise hearing protection on an 11.5" :D

TXBK
01-10-15, 19:57
The Specwar is an excelent can with its limitation being the mount.

How do you consider the Specwar mounts to be limiting?

themonk
01-10-15, 20:14

Only in comparison to the saker.

HKGuns
01-10-15, 20:20

They seem more similar, than different, but it seems like folks asking questions of the Silencer Shop are being sold the more expensive one.:confused:

- SpecWar 5.56 is 19.5 oz / 7.3" (-130.2) with an option to go smaller with the "K" model at 13.7 oz /6.20" (-133.6db)
- Saker 5.56 is 18 oz / 6.76"(-132.2db) with an option to go smaller with the "K" model at 14.7 oz / 5.80" (-136.6db)
- Both Full Auto rated
- Both ship with Trifecta muzzle device
- Both have baffles made of Stellite vs. Iconel
- Both have Lifetime Warranties
- SpecWar is quieter
- Saker costs more

Sure would be nice if someone here owned or used both and could comment on POI shift and blow back as those are the only two areas where the Saker could best the SpecWar other than if you need some funky mount for the Saker.......

I initially decided on the SpecWar because of my excellent experience owning the SWR Octane45HD that is extremely quiet on all of my 9mm and 45ACP hosts. Very quiet when using subsonic ammo and is built like a tank.

I've posted this before, but here it is again. I'm not a video artist or youtuber, so excuse the amateur video.

http://youtu.be/WkHjZQZ7dpQ

Color me puzzled.:confused:

TXBK
01-10-15, 20:45
Only in comparison to the saker.

Oh, right on. The Saker does offer more options, but they come at a premium. The Specwar mounts are excellent, and shouldn't be a reason for someone to shy away from the Specwar. Both the flash hider and brake, effectively do what they are suppose to do and the lock up is solid and easy to acheive.

PGT
01-10-15, 21:37

Not to speak for anybody but me, but, I'm waiting on my rifle can to see what Sig releases, after all the talent they acquired via AAC. I've got two other cans pending (rimfire and pistol) so no harm in another couple of weeks.

themonk
01-12-15, 13:22
I was going to purchase an sdn-6 last year, but for various reason$ did not. About a month ago I got ready to finally make the purchase and saw the Saker, so I went that way. If I had purchased the AAC last year, I'd be completely happy with my choice, and if Shot produces the new "cool kid" can this year, I doubt I'll loose any sleep over it. Besides, I'll be 2 months into the process by shot...

The Saker is a much better can then the SDN6 so after shooting both I don't think you would be completely happy with your purchase.

Another reason to wait, looked what popped up today in my inbox - http://www.silencerco.com/products/omega/

kymudder08
01-12-15, 17:51
Definitely not spending that much on my first can. I know that's msrp but still

jstalford
01-12-15, 20:03
Saker MSRP is $1150 but I think street price is $899, so if it's less, not too bad since it includes mount.

kymudder08
01-12-15, 20:48
The spec war is $550 and also comes with mount

daddyusmaximus
01-12-15, 21:19
They seem more similar, than different, but it seems like folks asking questions of the Silencer Shop are being sold the more expensive one.:confused:

- SpecWar 5.56 is 19.5 oz / 7.3" (-130.2) with an option to go smaller with the "K" model at 13.7 oz /6.20" (-133.6db)
- Saker 5.56 is 18 oz / 6.76"(-132.2db) with an option to go smaller with the "K" model at 14.7 oz / 5.80" (-136.6db)
- Both Full Auto rated
- Both ship with Trifecta muzzle device
- Both have baffles made of Stellite vs. Iconel
- Both have Lifetime Warranties
- SpecWar is quieter
- Saker costs more

Sure would be nice if someone here owned or used both and could comment on POI shift and blow back as those are the only two areas where the Saker could best the SpecWar other than if you need some funky mount for the Saker.......

I initially decided on the SpecWar because of my excellent experience owning the SWR Octane45HD that is extremely quiet on all of my 9mm and 45ACP hosts. Very quiet when using subsonic ammo and is built like a tank.

I've posted this before, but here it is again. I'm not a video artist or youtuber, so excuse the amateur video.

http://youtu.be/WkHjZQZ7dpQ

Color me puzzled.:confused:

That would be even more impressive if you weren't under a metal roof. Not bad.

JoshNC
01-12-15, 21:55

No, hearing safe is based upon OSHA guidelines for noise exposure, which are backed by good data related to noise exposure and hearing damage.

kymudder08
01-12-15, 23:40
I'm not worried what Osha thinks. I shoot 22s and skeet all day at my buddy's without earpro and it's not "hearing safe". If it doesn't make my ears ring then I'm ok and I consider that hearing safe for me. Call this bad judgement all you want but that's how I prefer it.