PDA

View Full Version : Help me pic the next flavor

No Bananas
06-30-08, 20:28
Help me folks! Afterall, you are party responsible for the AR bug that's bit me. A couple of weeks ago I got and built my first AR. CMMG lower, Stag M4gery upper w/ CMT parts, BCM extractor upgrade, H2 Buffer, some Pmags, and some Slip 2000 EWL (and I staked the gas key myself). I've put about 300 rds down range and I likes. No problems save one blown primer from a XM193 (I think it was the ammo). I'm looking for something that is a mix of fun/utility.

So, I liked it so much I picked up another stripped CMMG receiver. What should I do with this one. I thought about getting a TopTier M4gery. Now, I know that with all the MP and HP testing and stuff and M4 feedramps that it would be a more robust rifle than I've got. But I don't think my Stag is a total waste, as long as she continues to be reliable I don't see why she shouldn't be considered for SD. So, if I got a super reliable Top-Tier M4gery I guess I'd feel like I had another M4gery (yes, I know that they are technically different and that the Top Tier would be better). I want another bowl of ice cream here, but a different flavor.

I thought about a 10.5"/11.5" SBR. Which would be a cool novelty, but I question whether they would be effective for SD or utility because of a very limited range. The ammo oracle says that the fragmentation velocity limits the SBRs to a very short range:( .

I'm thinking still about a middy 16" or a SPR type 18" or an A4 20". What say you. I've already got the LPK (although I might get a match trigger) and a VLTOR E Mod Enhanced stock.

RD62
06-30-08, 21:55
That's the beauty of the AR platform, it's sheer versatility. You've got a 16" carbine. You could always go top tier like you said, LMT, Noveske, or totally custom upper. In-home self-defense type situations are the whole role of an SBR. Tight quarters and short distances highlight an SBR's improved handling and help negate it's loss of velocity/range. I doubt you'll have a shot much past 25yds in the home or more than 75 inside the immediate curtilage, if so you already have the 16". At this point you also start to move outside typical "home defense" into something else. Other calibers like 6.8SPC also extend the range of an SBR. If your interest is more long range or varmints you could go with a 18"-20" precision set-up. It really just depends on your interest. Good luck with your next rifle!

-RD62

No Bananas
06-30-08, 22:25
Damn it, a post like that has got me planning my 3rd and 4th AR:D