PDA

View Full Version : EDC Organizers: What U Got?

WillBrink
01-11-15, 12:45
Anyone use an EDC organizer? Being a Maxpedition ho that I am, i got their mini pocket organizer but I assume other brands exist. It's pretty amazing how much you can fit in this tiny bag. Here's examples of what people put in them HERE. (https://www.google.com/search?q=maxpedition+mini+pocket+organizer&biw=1493&bih=900&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZMOyVLKiN8a0ggT5z4PIDg&ved=0CCwQsAQ)

They make a larger one and a smaller, but the mini fits my needs and drops into a winter jacket pocket, in a larger bag (on those occasions I carry one), center rest of my car, etc. It carries obvious stuff, and some specific to me. If you use one, what's in it?

WillBrink
01-14-15, 13:35
No one? I think these are the best invention since gun powder. I have an amazing array if handy tools in a little bag that fits into front pocket of a winter jacket, or pocket of cargo pants, or in a larger bag (if I happen to be using on that day), or on my belt on pants, etc. Below is my EDC "load out" which covers what I might need in a pinch, and it's come in handy many times. Buddy locked himself out of his car the other day with all our stuff in it. He tried to break a small side window with a rock, which not only didn't break the window, he smashed his dumb finger. As you all know who have broken car windows, they are far tougher than they seem and the exact impact is what's needed. All I had on me was my little bag in my jacket pocket. Pulled out the Boker pry tool and window breaker, quick tap, and in.

Closed:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/P1090750_zps7658d55d.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/P1090750_zps7658d55d.jpg.html)

Open

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/P1090749_zpsb3620011.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/P1090749_zpsb3620011.jpg.html)

What's in the back pockets.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/P1090748_zps352f94cc.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/P1090748_zps352f94cc.jpg.html)

My bag is not even full compared to some others (see link above) but I wanted to keep it as light and thin as possible.

MikeDawg46L
01-14-15, 13:51
I had a Spec Ops Brand organizer that I used before and currently use a Kifaru organizer on my X-ray pack. I've always thought of using them as EDC but both are a bit large for that purpose, and would be more of a man purse (or satchel for those easily offended ;)). I know Spec Ops makes some pocket-sized utility pouches but never tried one. I just can't think of enough stuff that I'd want to carry besides my handgun, spare mag, folding knife, and recently acquired Gerber mini-MUT.

Although, putting some additional thought into it, having some med kit paracord on my person as EDC wouldn't be a terrible idea, though it is never far out of reach since I'm usually close to my BOB/GHB.

ETA: Is that a carabiner pry bar?

WillBrink
01-14-15, 14:01
I had a Spec Ops Brand organizer that I used before and currently use a Kifaru organizer on my X-ray pack. I've always thought of using them as EDC but both are a bit large for that purpose, and would be more of a man purse (or satchel for those easily offended ;)). I know Spec Ops makes some pocket-sized utility pouches but never tried one. I just can't think of enough stuff that I'd want to carry besides my handgun, spare mag, folding knife, and recently acquired Gerber mini-MUT.

Although, putting some additional thought into it, having some med kit paracord on my person as EDC wouldn't be a terrible idea, though it is never far out of reach since I'm usually close to my BOB/GHB.

ETA: Is that a carabiner pry bar?

Yes, that's a Boker mini pry bar, glass breaker, carabiner. Great little tool. Kifaru organizer is closer to the size of the next size up from MaxiP. The mini (what I have) or micro are the two that are small enough to put into large pockets, like cargo pants, etc. I'm not that close to a BOB/GHB most of the time. So that set up plus CCW is GTG.

Junglist
01-14-15, 14:04
No EDC organizer but for work I use the tactical tailor enhanced admin pouch

WillBrink
01-14-15, 14:12
No EDC organizer but for work I use the tactical tailor enhanced admin pouch

I have an admin pouch attached via moll to a bag I use when traveling. Most admin type bags a tad too big for pocket or belt carry I find. The essential factor for this set up was it had to fit into a pocket of stuff I actually wear, jackets, cargo shorts, etc., or I knew I wouldn't EDC it. It's actually a fun challenge to keep choosing compact and light tools so not to heavy or bulky to EDC.

MikeDawg46L
01-14-15, 14:18
Yes, that's a Boker mini pry bar, glass breaker, carabiner. Great little tool. Kifaru organizer is closer to the size of the next size up from MaxiP. The mini (what I have) or micro are the two that are small enough to put into large pockets, like cargo pants, etc. I'm not that close to a BOB/GHB most of the time. So that set up plus CCW is GTG.

I'll have to get one and give it a shot. I usually wear Vertx light pants year round so maybe I'm missing out on a great carry option. Would be nice to have a dedicated slot for a pencil LED light too, which I see you have in the bag.

Boker, huh? My EDC folder for the last eternity has been a Boker+. It has been great for an affordable knife.

WillBrink
01-14-15, 14:34
I'll have to get one and give it a shot. I usually wear Vertx light pants year round so maybe I'm missing out on a great carry option. Would be nice to have a dedicated slot for a pencil LED light too, which I see you have in the bag.

Yes, it's a Streamlight 66318 MicroStream C4 LED Pen Flashlight. Amazingly bright for its size and one AAA battery.

Boker, huh? My EDC folder for the last eternity has been a Boker+. It has been great for an affordable knife.

It's a Boker Plus Vox Access Tool. Others like this mini pry bar also:

http://www.countycomm.com/widgy.html

WillBrink
01-15-15, 09:58
My current list:

Stanley 4-in-1 Pocket Screwdriver
Streamlight MicroStream C4 LED Pen Flashlight.
Boker Plus Vox Access Tool.
Fisher Space Pen Bullet Space Pen
Leatherman Squirt PS4
Columbia River Knife and Tool Ritter RSK Mk5 neck knife
Lighter
band aids
alcohol wipes
tissues
zip ties
cash
2 meters 550 para cord
tooth pics & ear swabs
extra house key
$20 cash
credit card

MikeDawg46L
01-15-15, 13:37
Is the credit card with your name on it a bit of a security risk in combination with a spare house key? I guess if your name is Joe Smith, maybe not a big deal...

WillBrink
01-15-15, 13:42
Is the credit card with your name on it a bit of a security risk in combination with a spare house key? I guess if your name is Joe Smith, maybe not a big deal...

It is any larger a security risk than your jacket that contains your house keys and wallet? There's no address or personal info on a credit card, but if someone wants to find you, and has even minimal tech know how, they will find you. I just figure of those things one might need in a pinch, a little cash and a credit card could be a life saver.

MikeDawg46L
01-15-15, 13:47
It is any larger a security risk than your jacket that contains your house keys and wallet? There's no address or personal info on a credit card, but if someone wants to find you, and has even minimal tech know how, they will find you. I just figure of those things one might need in a pinch, a little cash and a credit card could be a life saver.

I agree on keeping a little cash and a CC, though I don't personally use CCs. I've just always kept personally identifiable info separate from keys in an attempt to at least make it more of a nuisance for some jackhole to visit my my residence, keys in hand. The diligent will find it regardless.

Just food for thought and how I look at it.

Tapatalk'd

WillBrink
01-15-15, 14:26
I agree on keeping a little cash and a CC, though I don't personally use CCs. I've just always kept personally identifiable info separate from keys in an attempt to at least make it more of a nuisance for some jackhole to visit my my residence, keys in hand. The diligent will find it regardless.

Just food for thought and how I look at it.

Tapatalk'd

Good food for thought. PERSEC always important.

Grizzly16
01-15-15, 14:32
We have a peanut allergy in the house so a either the maxpedition normal organizer or the mini is within arms reach 24 hours a day basically. I looked at a few others but couldn't find one I liked more.

WillBrink
01-15-15, 20:17
We have a peanut allergy in the house so a either the maxpedition normal organizer or the mini is within arms reach 24 hours a day basically. I looked at a few others but couldn't find one I liked more.

I assume an Epi pen and what else?

WillBrink
02-07-15, 17:13
I liked the first one I got so much, I got another in the next size up to be a grab and go bag that I can drop into a larger bag to hold an assortment of cables, etc. My wallet and the EDC mini bag for size reference. I'm amazed how much useful stuff you can fit into these little bags, due mostly, the well thought out design.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/DSC00004_zpsr10dxyrc.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/DSC00004_zpsr10dxyrc.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/th_DSC00005_zps7ojagqnw.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/DSC00005_zps7ojagqnw.jpg.html)

WillBrink
05-29-15, 14:51
Moved.

coastwatcher42
05-31-15, 23:45
After seeing a thread similar to this on another forum, I got a Maxpedition Fatty about 2 months ago. I got it more as a BOB organizer than an EDC organizer, though. I've been lazy lately and haven't put it to use yet and it's sitting in a plastic tote along with some other gear.

firefighter37
06-01-15, 07:55
Will, what about adding a glow stick for light, just in case the batteries in your flash light die. A cyalume 4" seems like a perfect fit. Just a suggestion. I do see you have a spare battery. I guess I just like glow sticks.

WillBrink
06-01-15, 07:59
After seeing a thread similar to this on another forum, I got a Maxpedition Fatty about 2 months ago. I got it more as a BOB organizer than an EDC organizer, though. I've been lazy lately and haven't put it to use yet and it's sitting in a plastic tote along with some other gear.

Next up, is a dedicated med kit for me. Right now, just few boo boo level med stuff, which will stay in the EDC above, but a better first aid/med kit I can throw in a bag, etc is what I need to work on.

WillBrink
06-01-15, 08:08
Will, what about adding a glow stick for light, just in case the batteries in your flash light die. A cyalume 4" seems like a perfect fit. Just a suggestion. I do see you have a spare battery. I guess I just like glow sticks.

The goal with the EDC is to make it of a weight and size you can, and will, drop into a coat pocket, cargo pants pocket, etc, so you really have to choose carefully for weight and size. As you can see, the EDC not much larger than my wallet. Adding the glow stick would increase size to the point I'd probably not EDC it. Two, you have to pick and choose what you're mostly likely to need in your daily AO and I glow stick pretty low in terms of taking up that much space in the EDC. If course, you might priorities the little chem light over something I chose.

The larger bag above, has glow stick, fire starter, etc, and is the size you can drop into your day pack, or car arm rest, etc.

PS, I saw online cyalume has 1.5" Long, 4 Hour Duration stick which might be a good choice for the EDC.

OhioFinance
06-02-15, 12:16
Will - my setup looks pretty similar. I have found a mini-roll of duct tape is small and I use it often.

WillBrink
06-02-15, 12:35
Will - my setup looks pretty similar. I have found a mini-roll of duct tape is small and I use it often.

Duct tape saved Apollo 13, so it's always a win.

Grizzly16
06-02-15, 15:01
I assume an Epi pen and what else?

Usually it is something along these lines.
Epipen
Benadryl (also for allergic reaction issues)
Various bandaids
Flashlight
Cellphone charger (call or wall adapter)
Lighter
Duct tape
Mylar blanket (this plus duct tape make a decent poncho if needed)
Assorted meds - pepto, tylenol, ibuprofen
Tweezers
Small roll of TP.

It is amazing how much of it gets used on a regular basis with as clumsy as our family seems to be...