PDA

View Full Version : Replacing P226 slide pin

ncshooter18
01-11-15, 17:16
I have a West German P226 and I think the 2 roll pins in the slide may be broken. Is this somwthing I would be able to replace or should I take it to an armorer? Does anyone know of a SIG armorer near Charlotte NC?

L-2
01-11-15, 18:08
Buy two sets of roll pins. If doing it yourself fails, then you'll have another set for the gunsmith/armorer. I found starting the large roll pin a bit difficult. Once started, pressing it in was relatively easy. I didn't have an actual press but using a vice worked fine. Even so, having a set of roll pin punches helps.

ncshooter18
01-11-15, 18:12
Buy two sets of roll pins. If doing it yourself fails, then you'll have another set for the gunsmith/armorer. I found starting the large roll pin a bit difficult. Once started, pressing it in was relatively easy. I didn't have an actual press but using a vice worked fine. Even so, having a set of roll pin punches helps.

Do you bhave to remove the breech block, or can you just knock the pins out and pop in the new ones?

L-2
01-11-15, 18:54
If you're removing the pins, you might as well clean the block, firing pin, and extractor. You could also replace the firing pin spring while you're in there., but no, you don't have to remove the breech block.

artyman
01-11-15, 20:14
I was somewhat intimidated the first time I changed out the roll pins. Buy the right roll pin punch and a starter punch and it really is super easy. I break things, not make things for a living and I was able to do it without any trouble. I removed the breech block and am more in awe of the whole system having seen it in person. Those are just great guns.

Artyman

ncshooter18
01-12-15, 18:14
I was somewhat intimidated the first time I changed out the roll pins. Buy the right roll pin punch and a starter punch and it really is super easy. I break things, not make things for a living and I was able to do it without any trouble. I removed the breech block and am more in awe of the whole system having seen it in person. Those are just great guns.

Artyman

Do you need to buy two roll pin punches? If so, what size?

artyman
01-12-15, 19:53
Here is a source to look at. http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/Miscellaneous/080220100pdf.pdf

I recommend the 5/64th starter punch and the 1/8th inch roll pin punch. Believe those are the ones I use.