PDA

View Full Version : Do you own firearms because you enjoy them, or do you own firearms to fill a role?

Eurodriver
01-11-15, 20:03
I am not interested in having an enormous collection of firearms. I only have 9mm Glocks, 5.56mm AR15s, .22LRs, and I broke the mold by buying a 300BLK recently...but that was only because I had a leftover .30cal suppressor.

I have buddies that are always buying the newest this and that, but I couldn't ever fall into that. I suppose this is a good place to ask (because it could be pretty awkward elsewhere) but do you buy firearms because they are tools or because you like the collection factor?

I just got a pretty sizeable Christmas bonus, and I realized that there is not a single firearm that I want to buy. A .308 bolt gun is probably the last firearm I will ever buy, but I want it to be "right". I want a $4500 GAP topped with a $3000 NF, and I can't justify pulling that trigger until I get the house paid for.

I know this topic has come up in some of the Glock vs. M&P vs. HK threads I've participated in lately, but it seems much easier for others to "try" new firearms. I'm not knocking it, I just don't understand it. My Glocks work, I have a million magazines, they all use the same ammo, holsters, lights...what do I want a .45 HK for??

C-grunt
01-11-15, 20:21
I am both. I have a few fun guns but most fill a role.

SteyrAUG
01-11-15, 20:27
Both.

I have guns that are defensive tools. I have guns that are part of the general "reference collection" I'm working on. I have guns that are nothing more than "interesting" to me. I have guns simply because they are one "I always wanted." I have guns to fill needs and situations that will probably never happen. And on and on and on.

Firearms have interested me for as long as I can remember. Don't get me started on knives.

PD Sgt.
01-11-15, 20:31
I have both weapons that fill a role for work, uniform or plainclothes, Indian country or low threat, as well as off duty. Some are both recreational and keep a familiarity with work weapons, such as ARs and 870s, while others are pretty much recreational only.

I am also trying to get away from buying too many guns that do not address a working role for me, and I am trying to focus more on training. Unfortunately, Beretta wants to release the 92G SD, which means I am likely picking up at least one hardware item this year.

MBtech
01-11-15, 20:38
Both, to me they are tools that serve a purpose for different jobs, for my intentions is mainly hunting different animals and self/home defense, which in turn equals practice and rangetime which I enjoy and they go hand in hand.
How many screwdrivers can one possibly need that will do the same thing? Some last longer, feel better ie.. Snap-On, Matco etc. That comes down to how much you are going to use the tool and what you prefer best in which case I'm a firm believer of quality over quantity. And as the ole saying goes "Fear the man with only one gun, because he likely knows how to use it" I keep the ones I have as similar as possible, so when I pick them up for the job at hand it's all as natural to me as I can keep it.

SeriousStudent
01-11-15, 20:41
I have two safes full of stuff that fills a role.

I have a third safe that is fun to own. Most of them are rarely or never shot, as they are family heirlooms. One is about 150 years old, the newest is 60 years old.

Kain
01-11-15, 20:47
To sound like a broken record, Both!

I have guns that are go to for this and that, others that are for competition, some that were heirlooms, and finally ones that are nothing more than toys that I bought for fun because they were interesting, the price was right(Like the Savage .22lr that I was traded for in exchange for an old TLR1), recreation, or, in the words of a good friend of mine, "Because they make my dick hard." My personal opinion is any reason to buy a gun is a good reason, within reason.

MBtech
01-11-15, 20:48
I have two safes full of stuff that fills a role.

I have a third safe that is fun to own. Most of them are rarely or never shot, as they are family heirlooms. One is about 150 years old, the newest is 60 years old.

Wow! 150 yrs old what is it? That is awesome, I only have one heirloom shotgun of my father n law no where near that old but older than I am

JoshNC
01-11-15, 21:09
Both. I am a shooter and a collector. I have certain firearms for defense and the rest are curios for my own personal reference collection.

HKGuns
01-11-15, 21:18
Both for me as well. I shoot everything I own and have never considered myself a "collector" per se. However, as the numbers continue to grow some get shot infrequently. I try to get out to shoot at least once per week, but my schedule doesn't always allow.

Zane1844
01-11-15, 21:39
Both. I love to shoot.

My AR's are for home defense, the other is for general shooting, and I guess if SHTF. Next, I will be getting a pistol for CCW, and that will pretty much be my firearm collection.

I like having few guns with clear roles for them, then shooting them a lot, while keeping it simple: Have one for HD that I know well, and one for CCW.

I can spend extra money on ammo instead of guns that will collect dust.

Ed L.
01-11-15, 22:20
Like everyone else, the answer is both.

The real question to ask is what would you replace if you lost everything due to fire or theft.

militarymoron
01-11-15, 22:37
Both. I stopped buying new handguns when i didn't shoot them any better than my glocks.

Jellybean
01-11-15, 22:47
...I have buddies that are always buying the newest this and that, but I couldn't ever fall into that. I suppose this is a good place to ask (because it could be pretty awkward elsewhere) but do you buy firearms because they are tools or because you like the collection factor?

I just got a pretty sizeable Christmas bonus, and I realized that there is not a single firearm that I want to buy. A .308 bolt gun is probably the last firearm I will ever buy, but I want it to be "right". I want a $4500 GAP topped with a $3000 NF, and I can't justify pulling that trigger until I get the house paid for.
...... My Glocks work, I have a million magazines, they all use the same ammo, holsters, lights...what do I want a .45 HK for??

This.
Except I wanted an AI with a USO TPAL. :laugh:
Then I realized at the range distance I have to shoot, it would be a total waste, so I canned it (albeit with much disappointment- I really do secretly still want one...). Not to mention $70 mags. Ouch.
I decided that a precision .308 AR would be better, as I could still go into "battle rifle" mode with it if needed. But I realized that dishing out for an LMT MWS (which at the time I looked was the best bang for the buck) , then reinvesting in a more expensive caliber, magazines, and a NF scope could buy one hell of a lot of ammo and other supplies for things I already owned. So that got canned too (albeit with much disappointment, since I do really still want one).

Rifle accessories? same thing. I found things that work, and after that realized I just didn't give a damn about anything else, since it really doesn't do anything better. Pistols? Yeah I went through the "gotta catch 'em all" phase too. then i realized what I had worked just fine, and re-investing over and over in new guns and calibers was a grand way to waste my limited money, so I drove on.

Occasionally I continue to tweak small things if I find something that somehow makes what I have better- for example I just ditched my vert grip for a handstop, because I realized I don't really need a full vert grip, and I got tired of being whacked by the thing when slung hands free. I also have a different holster incoming.

My fun guns are my tools. Generally it ends up being a lot cheaper that way. (sort of) :D

Bubba FAL
01-11-15, 22:51
Both.

I have carry guns to which I have absolutely no emotional attachment (M&Ps, Kahr). I have some that are used for match shooting, some that I've built, some I have for their historical appeal. Others I have just because they are fun to shoot.

SeriousStudent
01-11-15, 23:26
Wow! 150 yrs old what is it? That is awesome, I only have one heirloom shotgun of my father n law no where near that old but older than I am

A top-break .32 revolver. It belonged to great-great-grandpa, who was a Texas lawman in the 1870's. His son (my great-grandfather) was also a lawman, and had a Savage .32 pocket pistol, which I also own. I've also got grandpa's bayonet from his 1903A3 Springfield he carried in the Marines, and my father's Colt 1911A1. Our family has always been either cops/military/both, going back to the early 1800's.

But it's all just a big time capsule for the grandkids. My granddaughter had better like the smell of Hoppes over perfume. :cool:

<end thread drift>

Dennis
01-11-15, 23:26
Due to Dept policy my duty/carry guns have always been limited so for 20 years I refused to buy any pistols not authorized. Instead I invested in training and lotsa shooting with whatever I was stuck with to make sure it worked how I needed it to. The result being, I am annoyed by pistol of the month people.

However, I have gone through the whole AR evolution buying and building from Bushmaster's/A2/Goosenecks/Aimpoint to Noveske/BAD/Geissele/NightForce/Aimpoint :-) Various setups for usage from 0-700y. I also have childhood and family toys and stuff that I just think is interesting.

I keep my duty and carry Glock/Benelli guns well taken care of and train often with them. I keep my primary ARs all setup the same and train with them too. The rest get played with as time allows but only for fun.

Dennis.

SteyrAUG
01-12-15, 01:48
Like everyone else, the answer is both.

The real question to ask is what would you replace if you lost everything due to fire or theft.

They would be replaced by the skulls of all who have wronged me.

The_War_Wagon
01-12-15, 05:54
Yes.

I've always enjoyed them; enjoyed a LOT more variety back in the day. I've whittle them down NOW, to fulfill home/personal defense roles, but I enjoy the ones I've kept!

jet66
01-12-15, 06:50
Both. We (my wife and I combined) don't really have anything 'collectable,' but we have a fair number of family hand-me-downs whose main value is sentimental. As far as 'serious' guns go, I like to have two dependable pieces each for various home and personal defense roles. I also have a few that are just for fun/knock-arounds but still reliable, and even fewer gee-whiz-that's-nifty firearms that I really didn't 'need.'

Talon167
01-12-15, 08:45
Like most, a little of both. There are some I used for defense/CCW that I shoot but don’t abuse. There are some I use for training that I use and abuse. Then there are some that are just for fun, or used to fill one of the aforementioned roles but no longer do but still shoot on a regular basis.

Crow Hunter
01-12-15, 11:21
I used to be more of a collector, now I am more of a tools guy.

I used to buy a new gun with every paycheck. (Pre marriage:rolleyes:) Now, if I buy a new gun there has to be a very specific reason for it.

I still have a few "collection" guns that were inherited from my Father that I hardly ever use but I won't sell. The rest I own for a specific reason.

However, I would love to have a couple of fun guns back that I used to have. Specifically a Ruger Blackhawk convertible and a Beretta 92 but those are both guns that I would only shoot for fun and I really don't shoot enough to keep in good practice as it is.

Ever so often I go to Ruger's website and drool over the Lipseys special Model 5240 45 Colt/45ACP convertible with Simulated Ivory grips.... It fixes the 3 things that I disliked about my old Vaquero 45 convertibles. The sights, the size and they are blued instead of stainless.

Oh, now I want one again...

I blame you Euro!

cbx
01-12-15, 11:48
Both, because, Merica..

Visit, well basically any place that doesn't allow civvies to own weapons easily, and report back how bad said place sucked. (I'm talking about living. Not vacation.)

I've been to enough places now that I can validate that one.

And good hell it's a lot of fun. It's one of those if you have to explain it they won't understand anyway kind of things.

Trajan
01-12-15, 16:05
I use to be all serious, but I picked up two K-frames last year and I enjoy them. Once I get a holster for them I'll play IDPA with them. I don't see myself carrying them over a G17/19 though.

GunBugBit
01-12-15, 16:07
Definitely both.

bighawk
01-12-15, 16:12
Currently about to begin getting rid of all my "fun" guns since I barley shoot them.

Being that I only get to shoot once or twice a month I'm now interested in just owning guns I have a specific purpose for.

All the guns that have been in the family forever are still at my Dads house so I dont have access to them at this time anyways.

KTR03
01-12-15, 17:02
Both - Most of my guns are tools and fulfill a purpose - imaginary or otherwise. As an example, I have a tanker M1 Garand in 308 with a scout scope. The rationale for buying it was "for when I travel to states that don't like ARs, FALs...". Handguns I am much more strict on - driving towards all Glocks, all 9mm (with the exception of 44mag wheel gun for woods...). Now I just bought a Wilson Combat Beretta... My rationale (even I know its bullshit) was one of our instructional cadre need a double action/single action gun...

Now on the other side, I want a Sharps Rifle and a Kentucky Rifle. those will be purely fun guns - even I can't come up with a need based reason for those.

Doc Safari
01-12-15, 17:14
I used to be a collector and enthusiast.

One day I opened my safe and started looking at my collection. I had guns that could each tell a story about how difficult it was to get.

I looked each one over and came to the conclusion that a gun you don't shoot because it's valuable might as well be money sitting in the bank instead of a gun sitting in a safe.

I promptly turned into someone who owns guns out of necessity and the desire to own anything rare or "cool" just went out the window.

Now, it's practical or it goes. While I might have a spare gun or two for SHTF, I generally own firearms to "keep current with" my skills now and not own something just because it's "pre-ban" or "out of production" or "mint condition."

SteyrAUG
01-12-15, 19:06
I used to be a collector and enthusiast.

One day I opened my safe and started looking at my collection. I had guns that could each tell a story about how difficult it was to get.

I looked each one over and came to the conclusion that a gun you don't shoot because it's valuable might as well be money sitting in the bank instead of a gun sitting in a safe.

I promptly turned into someone who owns guns out of necessity and the desire to own anything rare or "cool" just went out the window.

Now, it's practical or it goes. While I might have a spare gun or two for SHTF, I generally own firearms to "keep current with" my skills now and not own something just because it's "pre-ban" or "out of production" or "mint condition."

Honestly...a lot of times "guns in the safe" do a lot better than "money in the bank."

And while I don't shoot things like my S&W Model 29 very often, I simply can't imagine not owning one. It's not a huge thing but since I was a kid there were certain guns I always wanted and promised myself that "one day" I would get one. Some of them I rarely shoot, but when I open the safe and see them I get a sense of contentment if not accomplishment. Other people buy expensive cars or jewelry, I buy guns.

Bubba FAL
01-12-15, 22:29
Honestly...a lot of times "guns in the safe" do a lot better than "money in the bank."

And while I don't shoot things like my S&W Model 29 very often, I simply can't imagine not owning one. It's not a huge thing but since I was a kid there were certain guns I always wanted and promised myself that "one day" I would get one. Some of them I rarely shoot, but when I open the safe and see them I get a sense of contentment if not accomplishment. Other people buy expensive cars or jewelry, I buy guns.

Amen, Brother! I've accumulated my guns over nearly 30 years, so it's not like I'm forced into only practical guns. As mentioned in my previous post, some were purchased for a specific purpose and others were just because. For example, as an 11lb 45ACP semi-auto rifle, my Thompson is completely impractical, yet I always wanted one, so I have it. While not practical, it sure is a lot of fun to load up that drum and some sticks and blast away. I have M1s, AKs, FALs and ARs for "serious social situations", lever guns and single action sixguns because of aesthetics and military bolt guns for historical reasons. Frankly, at my point in life, I really don't care what someone else thinks about my collection - it pleases me.

OH58D
01-12-15, 22:41
All of the above. Being from a ranching family with an old west history, I have a nice collection of weapons; first model 1875 Schofield, 1877 US Marked Single Action Army, 1879 Springfield Carbine, etc. These old firearms I inherited from my mother's family, who were the original founders of my ranch. These firearms I shoot with hand load black powder cartridges. These I shoot for fun and for the historic connection. I shoot the modern stuff as well and enjoy them equally.

This past week I carried a Marlin 1895 GBL in 45-70 on horseback. Nice carbine for bigger game. I've carried a 6920 as well for mounted patrol of my property for smaller game. My cutting horse has been trained to accept any kind of gunfire from standing still to full gallop. Any of my weapons can be used for fun (ARs, AKs, Lever Actions, Modern pistols, antique revolvers), or they can be used for business.

SeriousStudent
01-12-15, 23:06
All of the above. Being from a ranching family with an old west history, I have a nice collection of weapons; first model 1875 Schofield, 1877 US Marked Single Action Army, 1879 Springfield Carbine, etc. These old firearms I inherited from my mother's family, who were the original founders of my ranch. These firearms I shoot with hand load black powder cartridges. These I shoot for fun and for the historic connection. I shoot the modern stuff as well and enjoy them equally.

This past week I carried a Marlin 1895 GBL in 45-70 on horseback. Nice carbine for bigger game. I've carried a 6920 as well for mounted patrol of my property for smaller game. My cutting horse has been trained to accept any kind of gunfire from standing still to full gallop. Any of my weapons can be used for fun (ARs, AKs, Lever Actions, Modern pistols, antique revolvers), or they can be used for business.

We should hang out.

crusader377
01-12-15, 23:08
Both for me. There are many different shooting sports that I enjoy. One weekend I might be shooting sporting clays, while the next will be tactical rifles (AR15s/AKs), while the week after that I might have a cheap day at the range shooting .22s, then the following week might be pistols. I also keep firearms for specific needs such as a home defense rifle, pistol for nightstand duty, concealed carry pistol, etc... I have a decent collection of good quality firearms but I have been slowing down purchases and nowadays perhaps only acquire 1 gun per year or two.

OH58D
01-12-15, 23:16
We should hang out.

If you can ride, I could use an extra hand for Spring round-up. Three squares and a bunk plus $550 a week. We can shoot after hours.

SeriousStudent
01-12-15, 23:42
I would love that. But being well past the half-century mark now, I don't think my old bones could handle it.

Our family used to have a ranch due south of you in West Texas. I miss it every day.

williejc
01-13-15, 00:59
Since age 6, I've had a serious interest in firearms and have owned about 500 different ones in the last 61 years. This month I turned 67 so I've been at it for a long time. I'm an advanced hobbyist who has always kept a gun nearby to protect life and property. You might ask what I'm good at. I make excellent handgun ammo and cast an excellent bullet. I can still do fancy stunt shooting with the pistol--mine yours, or the next guy's. With a 2 inch 38 I can hit gallon jugs at 100 yards and do the same with a 1911. Not every time, of course.

Let me say that stunt shooting is a stunt and nothing more. I can teach you to do the same in a short time. Stunt shooting skills don't transfer to defensive shooting for obvious reasons. It's like plinking.

Doc Safari
01-13-15, 09:40

I had that philosophy, but the necessity for other things made me decide to sell most of my collection. For example, I decided I couldn't own both my mint S&W Model 19 and enough of a stash of ammo for me to feel comfortable.

I went through this exact stage about 20 years ago. For me, the journey turned out to be more fun than the destination. Once you have that Polytech Legend, then what do you keep looking for? I think there's a name for it...."collector's syndrome" or something....that once you get that item you've quested for, then you're still not satisfied and have to look for the "next big thing."

I broke myself of the cycle. People who knew me and my firearms collection back then don't believe me when I tell them I have only a couple-three guns now.

brickboy240
01-13-15, 11:19
Both!

My old Winchesters and Mausers are because I like them. Ditto for a few older 1911s and single action revolvers.

The Glock, Colt ARs and a few others are tools that fill a need.

Everything has its place.

Eurodriver
01-13-15, 13:17
I went through this exact stage about 20 years ago. For me, the journey turned out to be more fun than the destination. Once you have that Polytech Legend, then what do you keep looking for? I think there's a name for it...."collector's syndrome" or something....that once you get that item you've quested for, then you're still not satisfied and have to look for the "next big thing."

I broke myself of the cycle. People who knew me and my firearms collection back then don't believe me when I tell them I have only a couple-three guns now.

This is exactly how I feel, except it didn't take me quite as long.

I have dumped so much money into guns. SCAR 17, AR15s by the dozen, suppressors, tax stamps galore. I must have purchased 10 Glock 19s alone. (And a 26 and a 30 and a couple 17s and...) Much easier to have a couple G19s and a couple AR15s and call it a day.

I have friends and they are constantly stressing and fretting about guns. Instead of enjoying the firearms they own, they are always trying to upgrade or improve or replace them. They can never be content. What I witnessed among my buddies is why I created this thread.

(I am in no way saying my observations mirror those of anyone in this particular thread)

SteyrAUG
01-13-15, 13:25
I had that philosophy, but the necessity for other things made me decide to sell most of my collection. For example, I decided I couldn't own both my mint S&W Model 19 and enough of a stash of ammo for me to feel comfortable.

I guess I'm safe. While there will always be more guns I would be if the price is right and available funds exist, I enjoy ownership more than the hunt. Having gotten a few "big pieces" actually has the opposite effect on me where I feel like I'm good in that area. I want a Polytech Legend for example but prices are beyond what I'm willing to spend and I have enough Chinese type 56s that I feel covered.

I could probably name at least a dozen oddball HK rifles I still don't have, and of course I don't have a PSG1 but unless I come into a significant amount of money that won't change. From time to time I still fondle the WWII and WWI guns I began collecting as a kid. Every time I watch a really good WWII film I can usually find myself with an old Springfield or Enfield in my hands.

Doc Safari
01-13-15, 14:27
I've thought about getting a Colt M4 just so I can say I got one with the horsey, but what I NEED is a new computer.

That's were I'm at with firearms.

drsal
01-13-15, 15:32
I have a basic glock 19, and a basic BCM that fill a 'role'; the other 'toys' are just for fun, it's basically a hobby of sorts.

MBtech
01-13-15, 21:25
3 are self defense/home defense pistols

1 is home defense AR/coyote/pig killer

1 is Rem 700 in 308 for long range/big game

3 shottys for deer/turkey/home defense

1 muzzleloader for that particular part of deer season

1 SCAR 17 for all around SHTF or whatever else I want to kill and/or eat

1 20ga for daughter

1 22lr for a squirell in an oak tree (I need a smiley here as Santa and the 12 days of Christmas):D

Atg336
01-14-15, 12:18
Self/family defense for my critters.

TacticalSledgehammer
01-14-15, 23:34
I used to own them purely for my enjoyment. Since I decided to stop my collecting hobby, they all fill a particular role. All of them are setup for defense first though. I still get plenty enjoyment going out to the range.

6920 for defense, possible hunting out of state, plinking
shotgun for defense, hunting, target shooting
Pistols for defense (home and away), target shooting
I have an open slot for a larger caliber rifle that I need to fill at sometime. I also think I'll buy my daughter a .22 later on when she's old enough, as well as a henry golden boy to pass down whenever I die.

SteyrAUG
01-15-15, 00:56
Got to thinking about this, I could probably justify a role for every firearm I own if I had to. Some of us are just covering a wider variety of possible options. And some of those options are more unlikely than others, but we still have them covered.

M&P15T
01-15-15, 09:33
Almost purely for enjoyment, fun, and stress relief.

Tigereye
01-15-15, 20:04
Both. Shotguns and bolt guns for hunting. AR's for HD and collecting for my kids. Handguns for HD, carry, and collecting for kids. The only safe queen is a 1911 with ivory grips.

Eurodriver
01-15-15, 20:19
Got to thinking about this, I could probably justify a role for every firearm I own if I had to. Some of us are just covering a wider variety of possible options. And some of those options are more unlikely than others, but we still have them covered.

Haha, so what is the role of an HK91?

SeriousStudent
01-15-15, 21:57

Overwatch at a BMW owner's group meeting in Miami.

Frailer
01-15-15, 22:43
My first thought when I saw this thread was: "Providing me with enjoyment isn't a 'role'?"

I'm certainly not a member of the Semiauto Pistol and AR GeeGaw of the Month Club, but I'd be lying if I said all my guns fill an essential role.

They all get shot, however. I don't buy guns to look at them.

SteyrAUG
01-15-15, 23:08

Did you seriously not see Heat?

Dienekes
01-15-15, 23:22
Free men bear arms. Wyoming, by God.

jpmuscle
01-15-15, 23:29
Free men bear arms. Wyoming, by God.
That's on my short list of places to relocate to.

MBtech
01-15-15, 23:36

Or Commando? :cool:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Commando

SteyrAUG
01-16-15, 03:01

Seriously. Sometimes you just need to shoot THROUGH crap that is in your way.

But honestly of all the .308s out there (not counting the SCAR which I don't have), I'd take the HK over the AR-10 or FAL every time. That is unless the AR-10 was actually a SR-25.

Eurodriver
01-16-15, 06:15
Overwatch at a BMW owner's group meeting in Miami.

Okay, I laughed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmu9kXld3dk

I did not. Don't get me wrong, I love the HK91 but I don't like the inability to mount optics on it (without expensive claw mounts). I owned a SCAR, but the short handguard really killed it for me. Now they have extended handguards but I can't justify buying another one.

Didn't see this either. but that wiki site is badass

MBtech
01-16-15, 07:15

Amen.

SteyrAUG
01-16-15, 13:25
I did not. Don't get me wrong, I love the HK91 but I don't like the inability to mount optics on it (without expensive claw mounts). I owned a SCAR, but the short handguard really killed it for me. Now they have extended handguards but I can't justify buying another one.

Once upon a time, in the long, long, long ago days...we mostly used iron sights and the only people talking about optics were men with names like Hathcock and Mawhinney.

Moose-Knuckle
01-17-15, 04:38

I have asked myself this before and use it as a tool for self-analysis, I’m a big believer in consolidation minimization.

They would be replaced by the skulls of all who have wronged me.

I just had a mental image of the trophy room from Predator 2 pop into my head reading that . . .

BoringGuy45
01-17-15, 13:11
For some people, I think owning guns=being an expert on guns=a man to whom respect and fear is owed. Thus, the more guns you have, the more you are to be respected. They'll brag about how they have 200 guns, they buy an average of 5 a week, and they'll talk about their purchases like they're some kind of war stories of which I should be in awe. For some guys, I'm convinced that buying guns replaces sex: It feels good when you do it, but the satisfaction only lasts for a short time before it needs to be done again to relieve a stress build up.

We get guys who come into the store and they just say, "I wanna buy a gun." They don't know what kind, what brand, what caliber, how much they want to pay, or for what purpose they want the gun. Just a gun; just something that has a trigger and a barrel, goes "bang" really loudly, and shoots a bullet, slug, or shot out the end. It would be nice if you could just pull a gun off the display and say, "Ok, here's a gun," and they just buy it. But NOOOO!!! These are the customers who to look at literally, LITERALLY, your entire inventory, and every time you're finished showing every feature you know about on a gun, they'll just say, "Cool. What else you got?" So after showing them probably 20 guns of every variety, I'll try and narrow them down again: Pistol? Rifle? Shotgun? Hunting? Home defense? And the response is always, "Don't know." My boss likes these kind of customers mostly because they often do end up buying a gun. I hate them though because they're an incredible amount of work, they always want to work you for a better deal using every trick in the book, and they often later will try to sell guns back to you when they realized that their impulse purchase left a gaping hole in their budget.

As for me, I usually am very careful with everything I purchase and rarely impulse buy. Every one of my guns has a purpose, although that purpose is sometimes just "fun" (such as my Mosin-Nagant and my Ruger 10/22). I wouldn't mind collecting some more fun guns, such as an AK, FAL, or Vz.58, but every one I own is going to be shot. Unless I'm going to get a 1911 hand made by Browning himself, or one of the .45 ACP Lugers, I don't care to have a collectable gun that is too valuable and ornate to justify shooting. I might have a different attitude if I had a bigger income as right now, anything over $50 is a lot of money and has to be chosen carefully. So, I stick with the essentials, plus a few extras: AR, carry piece, HD shotgun, sporting shotgun, night stand gun, and a few plinkers.

SteyrAUG
01-17-15, 16:08
For some people, I think owning guns=being an expert on guns=a man to whom respect and fear is owed. Thus, the more guns you have, the more you are to be respected. They'll brag about how they have 200 guns, they buy an average of 5 a week, and they'll talk about their purchases like they're some kind of war stories of which I should be in awe. For some guys, I'm convinced that buying guns replaces sex: It feels good when you do it, but the satisfaction only lasts for a short time before it needs to be done again to relieve a stress build up.

I am truly depressed that you are not awed. Crap, now I need to buy another gun. You clearly don't fear my gun prowess enough. You'll be singing a different tune when I post pics of my Taurus Judge. It's a HANDGUN that is a SHOTGUN!!!!!!

MBtech
01-17-15, 16:23
I am truly depressed that you are not awed. Crap, now I need to buy another gun. You clearly don't fear my gun prowess enough. You'll be singing a different tune when I post pics of my Taurus Judge. It's a HANDGUN that is a SHOTGUN!!!!!!

A HANDGUN that is a SHOTGUN!?! Dual role/purpose? Enjoyment too?

Aw Hell sign me up :sarcastic: I could deer and squirrell hunt at the same time!

ramairthree
01-17-15, 19:22
Both of course.

ramairthree
01-17-15, 19:24

But honestly of all the .308s out there (not counting the SCAR which I don't have), I'd take the HK over the AR-10 or FAL every time. That is unless the AR-10 was actually a SR-25.

You suffer from some of the same issues I do.

You have to have stuff like 91s, Uzis, M11s, etc. just because you saw them in movies and TV and read about them in history, etc.

And no matter how ugly, non-ergonomic, etc. they end up being...

you keep them and get some more!