PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Auto Show 2015

C-grunt
01-12-15, 10:11
I know we have a lot of car guys here and there are a lot of big debuts today at the Detroit Auto Show. I'm mostly interested in the new Cummins powered Nissan Titan.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016-nissan-titan-xd-detroit-official/

Also the new Tacoma is being released as well as the diesel Chevy Colorado. Rumors are also a possible diesel Nissan Frontier.

What are you guys looking forward to?

skijunkie55
01-12-15, 10:17
At first glance I was like "Oh look, Ford went back to the old grille style on their F-150."

C-grunt
01-12-15, 10:21
New Raptor is getting a more powerful Ecoboost motor and a 10 speed transmission.

skijunkie55
01-12-15, 10:45
New Raptor is getting a more powerful Ecoboost motor and a 10 speed transmission.

The Jeep wrangler may be getting an 8 speed transmission as well! Time to upgrade my everyday car :)

SilverBullet432
01-12-15, 11:05
looks like my F150 from the front.

Onyx Z
01-12-15, 11:09
The new Raptor looks a helluva lot better than it used it. And with an EcoBoost, it may use less gallons per mile than the 6.2L.

Talon167
01-12-15, 11:11
The new Ford GT looks gorgeous! Want to touch da heinie!

https://autos.yahoo.com/photos/ford-gt-supercar-first-look-1421073700-slideshow/

JBecker 72
01-12-15, 11:40
Will we ever see a diesel Tacoma? I'd like to think so. The new Colorado looks nice, but I wouldn't buy another GM after my 07 Colorado experience.

And ecoboost Raptor? Lame. People who buy that truck and bitch about gas mileage are silly. That kind of truck is supposed to have a big V8.

C-grunt
01-12-15, 12:06
New Tacoma has a new stronger frame, lighter body, 3.5 liter direct injection V6, and 6 speed auto or manual. Looks interesting.

SilverBullet432
01-12-15, 14:14
Ecobeast!

J-Dub
01-12-15, 14:29
I think the new Colorado might be a huge hit (if it was so expensive it would be even bigger). I think it will be a huge competitor for Toyota.

I believe its based off of the Izusu Dmax sold in other countries.

Nightstalker865
01-12-15, 14:56
I'm really wanting one of the new Tacoma's. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/12/2cac6a589e6eeaf121b06d79bb432339.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTR03
01-12-15, 15:07
would love to see a small diesel pickup truck. Toyota Hilux, Nissan Frontier with Cummins...

HKGuns
01-12-15, 15:11
Nissan? Truck? Come now, Nissan has never produced a truck worth buying.

Averageman
01-12-15, 15:37
Will we ever see a diesel Tacoma? I'd like to think so. The new Colorado looks nice, but I wouldn't buy another GM after my 07 Colorado experience.

And ecoboost Raptor? Lame. People who buy that truck and bitch about gas mileage are silly. That kind of truck is supposed to have a big V8.

Really?
I haven't had an issue with my '04 and it's almost at 181K. I was hoping the Colorado was going to have a diesel.

brickboy240
01-12-15, 15:59
Toyota has made a "diesel Tacoma" for many years. It is called the Hi-Lux.

The Nissan Titan really needs a make over. The 5.6 motor is a total gas pig that gets maybe 10-2mpg while the Chevy, Ford and Dodge V8s are getting around 15-16mpg city. It also is on the ugly side and needs a facelift and a larger back seat.

The gasser Colorado is underpowered and way too expensive. You can get a Silverado for what you pay for a loaded Colorado.

Hopefully Nissan will get the 1/2 ton diesel pickup right. Dodge screwed up theirs by putting that piddly Fiat diesel in theirs.

C-grunt
01-12-15, 16:05
I have a friend who does auto destructive testing. He did the Nissan diesel and said it's a hell of a truck.

He also tested the new NSX and said it runs right along the 458 and GT3RS.

brickboy240
01-12-15, 16:14
I'd buy the Nissan diesel long before I bought an F-150 with that twin turbo V6.

J-Dub
01-12-15, 16:19
Nissan? Truck? Come now, Nissan has never produced a truck worth buying.

Honestly I like the Nissan Frontier I have right now, better than the last 5 Toyotas I've owned. (4 tacomas, 1 T100). I mean at least my leaf springs don't have a negative arch with 5lbs in the bed...

glocktogo
01-12-15, 16:23
I won't be trading my 02' 4Runner in until these are available at my local Toyota dealer. :)

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608049124783230163&pid=15.1&H=120&W=160&P=0

brickboy240
01-12-15, 16:35
You really cannot haul much in the beds of the Frontier, Colorado or Tacoma. I doubt I could get my ATV in there without half of it hanging over the open tailgate and sagging the crap out of the truck's rear end.

KTR03
01-12-15, 16:47
You really cannot haul much in the beds of the Frontier, Colorado or Tacoma. I doubt I could get my ATV in there without half of it hanging over the open tailgate and sagging the crap out of the truck's rear end.
Totally agree but there is a place for a yuppie truck. I need to be able to haul a kayak, road bikes... I don't need/want an F150 size truck.

SilverBullet432
01-12-15, 17:32

Amen. I would not own anything less than a full size pickup. Even for my personal truck I have a 1/2 ton. Crew cab. I dont see the point in these small pickups.

HKGuns
01-12-15, 17:58
Honestly I like the Nissan Frontier I have right now, better than the last 5 Toyotas I've owned. (4 tacomas, 1 T100). I mean at least my leaf springs don't have a negative arch with 5lbs in the bed...

We agree on most things, so I'll have to chalk this up to you comparing it to Toyota and not an F150.

JBecker 72
01-12-15, 17:59
Really?
I haven't had an issue with my '04 and it's almost at 181K. I was hoping the Colorado was going to have a diesel.

Mine had head issues.

Averageman
01-12-15, 18:20

I hauled a Honda 750 for a friend who was restoring it in the back of my Colorado about 1/3 of the way accross Texas. Thats cool though it is a yuppie Truck, but as far as getting a Silverado for the price of a Colorado, not when I bought mine.

C-grunt
01-12-15, 21:12
Amen. I would not own anything less than a full size pickup. Even for my personal truck I have a 1/2 ton. Crew cab. I dont see the point in these small pickups.

Off roading in the mountains is much much easier in a smaller vehicle vs a full sized truck. Also many people, myself included, won't ever haul anything bigger than a new washing machine which a small truck does just fine.

VIP3R 237
01-12-15, 21:35
Off roading in the mountains is much much easier in a smaller vehicle vs a full sized truck. Also many people, myself included, won't ever haul anything bigger than a new washing machine which a small truck does just fine.

I agree. I've had a couple Dodge Rams in the past but I never really used the bed and so I picked up a Dakota 2 years ago and I love it. It's so much easier to park and get around in.

murphman
01-12-15, 21:48
I was finally exited to see the new Q60 released and what engine it will have. Not because I want one but because the next gen Z will likely carry the same engine and from the release today that will be a 3.0 liter twin turbo V6. Now the wait to see what the engine HP output will be rated at. If it is anywhere near 380-400hp the next gen Z will be sick pending its looks. I know there are a few of you Z guys out there that were waiting on this news also.

Jer
01-12-15, 23:41
I'm really wanting one of the new Tacoma's. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/12/2cac6a589e6eeaf121b06d79bb432339.jpg

FYI, this picture is not of the 2016 Tacoma it's a 2015 Tacoma Pro.

This is the all-new 2016 Tacoma:

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2016-toyota-tacoma_100496292_l.jpg

Alex V
01-13-15, 08:09
My lease is up in March and I am looking to get the '15 Tacoma TRD Sport... Kinda sucks that next year it will be upgraded.

TAZ
01-13-15, 08:14
The Colorado had me excited at the thought of getting a small truck to replace my Rio. Yes, the small bed isn't as functional as the full sized one, but then a full sized truck don't fit my garage either. For my urbanite lifestyle the little bed has enough room to haul the things I need. The sticker pretty much kills it for me. The 4 banger isn't rated to toe anything, you have to step up to the v6 package. Puts the price near $25k. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a truck.

C-grunt
01-13-15, 09:28
My lease is up in March and I am looking to get the '15 Tacoma TRD Sport... Kinda sucks that next year it will be upgraded.

Im going to give the new Tacoma a few years to work out the bugs. Maybe by then there will be a diesel as well. Nissan is currently testing a Cummins 4 banger for the Frontier and with GM running a mini Duramax I think Toyota is going to have to do it.

JBecker 72
01-13-15, 10:00
I might actually be buying a 15 Tacoma 4x4 4 cylinder 5 speed manual today. $25.5k out the door. I need a truck to move motorcycles and the price is right.

It has the SR package and looks just like this.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Cars/8F26D995-0DF3-454F-9C8A-E7BC0A02AFDB_zpsazfarh3u.jpg (http://s149.photobucket.com/user/hownowbrowncow_02/media/Cars/8F26D995-0DF3-454F-9C8A-E7BC0A02AFDB_zpsazfarh3u.jpg.html)

brickboy240
01-13-15, 10:37
I don't know why anyone would think that they need a few years to "work out bugs" with a Toyota truck. In my experience of owning two...they showed Glock-like reliability. Sure...they were underpowered and could not haul much but they never went in the shop.

Those Tacomas look better than the other smaller trucks...the way they sit up high from the factory. However...place anything heavier than a golden retriever in the bed and they squat like a drunk college girl peeing in the club parking lot! LOL

You also never want to hit anything with a Tacoma. their bumpers and grilles are paper thin and don't hold up well in a collision.

Once you have owned a full size truck (or a 3/4 ton diesel....like me) you cannot go back to a small truck. When you own a full size truck...you will figure out all the stuff you could not haul with the small truck and you get used to the space and pulling power. Yes...you don't need it all the time but like 4wd....when you need it...you NEED it! LOL

Talon167
01-13-15, 11:01
The new Ford GT looks absolutely amazing.

JBecker 72
01-13-15, 11:06
I agree on the towing and capacity. But I have access to two full size Ford trucks. One is a F250 with a 460 gas engine, and the other is a F350 FX4 with a PSD. For my personal needs, I don't need to pull a trailer heavier than 2500 pounds, and the most I put in the bed is two motocross bikes that weight about 225 pounds each plus tools, gas and riding gear. So maybe 700 pounds in the bed. This has never been a problem with any of my Toyota's or my Colorado.

If I were regularly towing 5000 pounds or more, I'd be looking at least for a V8 half ton like the Tundra or F150. And I really can't afford buying anything over the $25k mark really. Also I hate buying a used anything for the most part.

brickboy240
01-13-15, 11:16
I always buy used. Let some other chump take that front end depreciation hit...I'll pick up a totally useful truck that is 2-3 years old and has maybe 25k miles on it. Chances are the thing never hauled a damn thing heavier than a suitcase or a set of golf clubs.

The great thing about pickups is the fact that yeah...you can get one tailored to YOUR needs. Since I also own a little gas sipping Volvo S40 for a daily commuter...I love having a 3/4 ton diesel beast to pull or haul anything I want to haul. Off roading? Forget it....the 2500 GMC is way too big and heavy...I have an ATV for the thick muddy stuff and it fits easily in the bed of the GMC 2500.

Most people never haul a damn thing...so why bother with the expense, crappy mileage and poor parking qualities of a full size truck? Buy a friggin Accord and call it good....you're not going off road in that Raptor or Z-71...are you? LOL

JBecker 72
01-13-15, 11:26
That's the thing with Toyota Tacoma's. Used with 35k miles is within a grand or two of a new one usually. So in my case it's better to buy a new one and get the better interest rate. Anything from Detroit though? Yeah lightly used is probably the better buy.

brickboy240
01-13-15, 11:38
True. With Toyota trucks....you might as well just buy new.

However, with the domestics...deals can be easily had. especially on Ford and Dodge trucks -their resale is terrible. I tend to favor GMC/Chevy's full size trucks over Ford and Dodge.

There are two things that GM always gets right - the Corvette and the full sized pickup truck. Everything else they make is suspect or complete garbage.

steyrman13
01-13-15, 11:45
Dodge screwed up theirs by putting that piddly Fiat diesel in theirs.
It is actually believe it or not partly built/designed by GM. It also actually gets 28 mpg on the highway and low 20s around town!

True. With Toyota trucks....you might as well just buy new.

However, with the domestics...deals can be easily had. especially on Ford and Dodge trucks -their resale is terrible.

Even tacomas in the 1997-2002 range with 260k-310k are still selling for 8500-12000!
Except on Diesels. Dodge and Ford (7.3) have a very good resale value.

brickboy240
01-13-15, 13:10
Around here as far as gasser 1/2 ton trucks go....the GMC/Chevys and Tundras seem the have the better resale value. I can get a 1500 Ram or F-150 tons cheaper than the others.

The Ford F-250 with the 6.4 and 6.0 diesels have terrible resale value as well.

I am hoping someday that the GMC/Duramax has decent resale. The motor has been great in the 60k miles I have owned it.

J-Dub
01-13-15, 13:43
I have no use for a F150 (or any uaw built vehicle). Also where I tend to take my pickup, the lighter and smaller the better. I will have to say that was the best thing going for the early Toyota pickup and up 2004 Tacoma. They could go just about anywhere with decent tires, and they were reliable. The newer models I found to be too big, and kind of a wash when it came to mpg's compared to a full size. Plus they are stupid expensive used.

I plan on getting a 2nd gen 4runner as a beater, just because they are cheap, and utilitarian.

Eurodriver
01-13-15, 13:54
Trucks?
I don't give any ****s.
I came in this thread hoping for more
Because a 2015 Benz is what I plan to score.
Ya'll like hauling stuff and riding dirty
I like picking up bitches and being flirty.
So when the talk comes back around to class
Someone PM me, til then I'm fishing bass.

MBtech
01-13-15, 14:39
Trucks?
I don't give any ****s.

Lol, nice that's what I'm talkin bout

Eurodriver
01-13-15, 14:54
Lol, nice that's what I'm talkin bout

I just put two and two together,
Your avatar makes me light as a feather.
If we were in person I'd give you a high fiver,
Because after all, I am Euro-Driver.
My Benz is getting quite old,
But it's still worth some gold.
I just haven't decided whom I should please,
Myself if I buy, or my wallet to lease.

MBtech
01-13-15, 15:03
http://blog.caranddriver.com/because-it-needed-more-mercedes-benz-sl63-gets-power-boost-for-2015/

2015 SL63 AMG

Eurodriver
01-13-15, 15:09
Things like that link are what I expected to find,
When I came into this thread but instead was made blind.
Trucks and rednecks, I wanted to cower
The real treat in shows, is Mercedes horse power.

ETA 664 lb-ft? :cool:

C-grunt
01-13-15, 15:26
I don't know why anyone would think that they need a few years to "work out bugs" with a Toyota truck. In my experience of owning two...they showed Glock-like reliability. Sure...they were underpowered and could not haul much but they never went in the shop.

Those Tacomas look better than the other smaller trucks...the way they sit up high from the factory. However...place anything heavier than a golden retriever in the bed and they squat like a drunk college girl peeing in the club parking lot! LOL

You also never want to hit anything with a Tacoma. their bumpers and grilles are paper thin and don't hold up well in a collision.

Once you have owned a full size truck (or a 3/4 ton diesel....like me) you cannot go back to a small truck. When you own a full size truck...you will figure out all the stuff you could not haul with the small truck and you get used to the space and pulling power. Yes...you don't need it all the time but like 4wd....when you need it...you NEED it! LOL

Did you see the new motor being put in the Tacoma? Thats a pretty complicated motor.

I dont need a full sized truck, though I do like them a lot. For where I off road they are just to big for several spots I go wheeling. If I need to haul something bigger than a Tacoma will handle I have three full sized trucks in my immediate family.

As far as wrecks go with the Tacoma I gotta disagree. Ive investigated a few accidents with them and they always hold up pretty darn well. Recent had a lady pull out in front of a Tacoma with a slight lift and 32 or 33 inch tires. The Tacoma passenger front tires ran over the hood of her car and the truck got high centered on the hood of the car. Once the tow truck pulled the car out the Tacoma drove itself to the repair shop.

Jer
01-13-15, 15:34
Did you see the new motor being put in the Tacoma? Thats a pretty complicated motor.

I dont need a full sized truck, though I do like them a lot. For where I off road they are just to big for several spots I go wheeling. If I need to haul something bigger than a Tacoma will handle I have three full sized trucks in my immediate family.

As far as wrecks go with the Tacoma I gotta disagree. Ive investigated a few accidents with them and they always hold up pretty darn well. Recent had a lady pull out in front of a Tacoma with a slight lift and 32 or 33 inch tires. The Tacoma passenger front tires ran over the hood of her car and the truck got high centered on the hood of the car. Once the tow truck pulled the car out the Tacoma drove itself to the repair shop.

It's a 'complicated' motor that's been in use in millions of vehicles for quite a few years now. The 2GR isn't an all-new platform and has been proven to meet Toyota reliability and dependability.

ryr8828
01-13-15, 15:40
I want a colorado so bad but it won't pull my trailer.

MBtech
01-13-15, 15:50
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/future/model/model-All_New_2016_C190_AMG_GT

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/future/model/model-All_New_2015_S65_AMG

Here is a couple more, I can't compete with Eurodriver's poetry :) but I'll just say they are some beautiful dream cars.

C-grunt
01-13-15, 15:52
It's a 'complicated' motor that's been in use in millions of vehicles for quite a few years now. The 2GR isn't an all-new platform and has been proven to meet Toyota reliability and dependability.

What cars have used the new injection system plus the Atkinson Cycle? I thought I read the only once out were the RC-F and another high performance vehicle.

Jer
01-13-15, 16:08
What cars have used the new injection system plus the Atkinson Cycle? I thought I read the only once out were the RC-F and another high performance vehicle.

The closest thing based on early specs of the new Tacoma is the 2GR-FXE.

(All stats below blatently stolen from Wiki)

2GR-FXE
Atkinson cycle, VVT-i, uses cooled EGR system.

Applications:
2010 Lexus RX 450h, (GYL10/15/16), 245 bhp (183 kW)
2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
2012 Lexus GS 450h (GWL10), 292 bhp (218 kW)
2013 Toyota Crown Majesta

Even if this were an all new power plant I trust Toyota's experience and financial backing as well as proven track-record of reliability to get it right the first time. If I were buying something domestic I might wait a few years for them to 'get it right' and even then that may not be long enough.

Here's the other 2GR power plants and as you can see... it's got plenty of applications to prove it's been a reliable platform even if they tweak a few aspects:

2GR-FE[edit]

2GR-FE engine in the 2008 Lexus RX 350
The 2GR-FE is a 3.5 L (3456 cc) version for transverse FWD, 4WD, or AWD mounting.[1] Bore remains at 94 mm but stroke is reduced to 83 mm. Reported output varies depending on the vehicle application, but is approximately 266 hp (198 kW) to 280 hp (209 kW) at 6200 rpm with 245 lb·ft (332 N·m) to 260 lb·ft (353 N·m) of torque at 4700 rpm on 87 octane (R+M/2).[2] This version features Toyota's Dual VVT-i, variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams. The cams are driven using a timing chain.

Valves are driven by roller-follower rocker arms with low friction roller bearings, and a unique, concave cam lobe design to increase valve lift over the traditional shimless lifter type system of the 1GR-FE. This increases overall cylinder head height to accommodate the slightly taller roller rocker system. Moreover, the cylinder head is segmented into 3 parts: valve cover, camshaft sub-assembly housing, and cylinder head sub-assembly. As such, this valvetrain is used across all other GR engines with Dual VVT-i. Its service weight is 163 kg.

Applications:

2005–2012 Toyota Avalon (GSX30)
2012–present Toyota Avalon (GSX40)
2006–2012 Toyota Aurion (GSV40)
2005–2012 Toyota RAV4/Vanguard (GSA33/38)
2006–present Toyota Estima/Previa/Tarago (GSR50/55)
2006–2010 Toyota Sienna (GSL20/23/25)
2006–2011 Toyota Camry (GSV40)
2011–present Toyota Camry (GSV50)
2006–2012 Lexus ES 350 (GSV40)
2007–2009 Lexus RX 350/Toyota Harrier (GSU30/31/35/36)
2009–present Lexus RX 350 (GGL10/15/16)
2007–2014 Toyota Highlander/Kluger (GSU40/45)
2007 Toyota Blade (GRE156)
2007 Toyota Mark X Zio (GGA10)
2008–present Toyota Alphard/Vellfire (GGH20/25)
2009–present Toyota Venza (GGV10/15)
2009-present Lotus Evora (280ps & 350Nm using Lotus engine management, Sport Pack package redline increased to 7000rpm)
2006–present Toyota Sienna (GSL20/30)
Toyota Corolla (E140/E150) (for Super GT use)
Lotus Evora GTE (modified 4 litre version with 470 hp N/A for race use in the ALMS and at the 24 Hours of Le Mans)
Supercharged:

2007 TRD Aurion (TRD supercharger)
2011-present Lotus Evora S (345 hp, 295 lb-ft)
2012 Lotus Exige S (345 hp, 295 lb-ft)
2GR-FSE[edit]

2GR-FSE engine in the 2008 Crown
The 2GR-FSE is a 3.5L engine used in the Lexus IS, GS 350, Mark X and Crown incorporate Toyota's latest D4-S twin injection fuel system. This system combines direct injection(949cc/min injectors) with traditional port injection (298cc/min injectors). Direct injection lowers the tendency to knock (detonation) and increases performance by reducing the charge intake temperature. Traditionally direct injection engines require an in engine mechanism such as swirl ports or specific piston crown shapes to increase tumble in the engine. These are in place to help achieve a homogeneous air-fuel mixture inside the cylinder at low rpm and high load, these mechanisms inhibit performance at higher rpm. In the 2GR-FSE the port injection is used considerably to achieve the correct mixture without having in engine restrictions, meaning the engine achieves specific power near the top of all naturally aspirated production gasoline engines in the world (67kW/L, 235kW in the Mark X). Toyota also developed a new type of injector for this engine. The dual fan spray pattern of the direct injectors is perpendicular to the piston travel with wide dispersion in the cylinder helping improve in cylinder mixing and therefore power and efficiency. The port injectors not only help improve the power and efficiency but they also help improve emissions especially in the first 20 seconds after start up (when the catalytic converter is in its warm up stage). Development of V-6 3.5-liter Engine Adopting New Direct Injection System

The 2GR-FSE engine is rated at 309 PS (227 kW; 305 hp) at 6,400 RPM and 38.4 kg·m (377 N·m; 278 lb·ft) at 4,800 RPM. The 2GR-FSE in the Crown is rated at 315 PS (232 kW; 311 hp) and 38.4 kg·m (377 N·m; 278 lb·ft) at 4,800 RPM. The 2GR-FSE in the Mark X is rated at 318 PS (234 kW; 314 hp) and 38.7 kg·m (380 N·m; 280 lb·ft) at 4,800 RPM.

The engine's service weight is 174 kg.

The 2GR-FSE was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.[3][4][5][6]

Applications:

2006 Toyota Crown Athlete (GRS184)
2006 Lexus GS 350 (GRS191/196)
2006 Lexus GS 450h (GWS191)
2006 Lexus IS 350 & IS 350 C (GSE21)
2008 Toyota Crown Athlete (GRS204)
2008 Toyota Crown Hybrid (GWS204)
2009 Toyota Mark X (GRX133)
2012 Lexus GS350
2015 Toyota Tacoma
Supercharged:

2009 Toyota Mark X +M Supercharger (265 KW, 355 hp)[7]

SilverBullet432
01-13-15, 16:29
Some of us rely on our pickups to make a living. Thats why when a new truck comes out we get excited.
http://i57.tinypic.com/6zbpmo.jpg

Jer
01-13-15, 16:38
Some of us rely on our pickups to make a living. Thats why when a new truck comes out we get excited.

Thankfully your line of work doesn't depend on the use of technology. That or that's just a spy shot of a new truck that stands on it's side for easy loading and unloading.

SilverBullet432
01-13-15, 16:39
On my phone it shows good. I got on my laptop and my pics sideways? :confused: :help:

MBtech
01-13-15, 16:40

Roger that, trucks have a purpose. I hate to see people buy new trucks and never use the bed to even haul anything. I've worked in a dealership 15 years now, I just get tortured with everything I can't have :cool:

Eurodriver
01-13-15, 18:58
Roger that, trucks have a purpose. I hate to see people buy new trucks and never use the bed to even haul anything. I've worked in a dealership 15 years now, I just get tortured with everything I can't have :cool:

S65, DROOL.
To buy one I can't be a fool.
Although I'm left, to question the fuss.
Just what exactly is SPEEDSTICK PLUS?
My current benz has the 7 Speed Tiptronic,
But it acts like a drunk idiotic.
Do they finally have paddles I can touch and feel?
Specifically, the ones behind the steering wheel?

Eurodriver
01-13-15, 19:02
On my phone it shows good. I got on my laptop and my pics sideways? :confused: :help:

This happens to iphones,
It really rattles my bones.
The trick to the fix
Is flip over your pics.
When holding the phone and snapping a shot,
Make sure you keep those volume buttons on top.

C-grunt
01-14-15, 13:44
Hyundai is possibly bringing a mini crossover truck that gets almost 40 mpg. Surprised nobody has successfully made something like this before. Subaru tried it but it was but ugly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCuisp9dtns

Jer
01-14-15, 14:04
Hyundai is possibly bringing a mini crossover truck that gets almost 40 mpg. Surprised nobody has successfully made something like this before. Subaru tried it but it was but ugly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCuisp9dtns

Cool concept but I'm having flashbacks of the Ridgeline. At least they're marketing it differently than Honda did right out of the gate so perhaps the let-down won't be as high.

Big A
01-14-15, 14:43
Trucks?
I don't give any ****s.

You sure about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8thaIMJd1Rg

C-grunt
01-14-15, 18:52
Cool concept but I'm having flashbacks of the Ridgeline. At least they're marketing it differently than Honda did right out of the gate so perhaps the let-down won't be as high.

The problem with the Ridgeline is it was to big and got to bad gas mileage to be competitive. It's the size of a Tacoma, got barely better gas mileage and had much less capability.

This mini truck I think would compete with cars like the RAV4 and CRV.

Jer
01-14-15, 19:07
The problem with the Ridgeline is it was to big and got to bad gas mileage to be competitive. It's the size of a Tacoma, got barely better gas mileage and had much less capability.

This mini truck I think would compete with cars like the RAV4 and CRV.

Right, it was the worst of both worlds. They basically marketing it to compete with trucks and it was a minivan with a truck bed in just about every way possible. Once those who bought 'the first Honda pick-up' found out it wasn't... hilarity ensued. Now, had they marketing it more like Hyundai here and made it with a smaller platform they may have had something. Based on this concept it would seem as though Hyundai learned from Honda's lessons. They're already marketing it to the right segment and even made mention that it basically had no tow or payload rating to diffuse any possible backlash. I like the idea but I'm not sure if this will be the new hot segment or not. Hyundai is betting on the fact that it will be and based on the current market (assuming our recent plummet in gas prices isn't permanent) and recent Hyundai vehicles that may be a pretty solid bet.

HKGuns
01-15-15, 18:48
Bad to the bone SHTF War Wagon.

http://api.zenfolio.com/cdn/pub/lfqo0zoxzuzt/0/null/mh/lcs5kd73eqmohvh8a1jj/s5/v124/p311375358-5.jpg?sn=2YH&tk=8rgQbXrI0EgtZtGXCwRA5z44-ug4PziHEixP3Z-n9TU=

brickboy240
01-16-15, 10:48
Not with that twin turbo V6...no thanks.

Those Raptors also ridel ike crap on the road. Great for those that live in the sticks but that truck gets old fast if you...like most pickup owners...have to drive on pavement most of the time.

The Ridgeline is not a real pickup. That tiny bed and independent rear suspension. cannot pull much, either. A joke if you ask me.

HKGuns
01-16-15, 13:51
That twin turbo v6 is a rock solid engine and it is used without issue and with different tunings in many different products.

Jer
01-16-15, 13:54
That twin turbo v6 is a rock solid engine and it is used without issue and with different timings in many different products.

I wouldn't say 'without issue'' because it's had a rather long list of issues stemming back to it's introduction. That being said, if they can make it produce power reliably like an N/A V8 I'd rather have the turbo six.

Big A
01-16-15, 16:52
Bad to the bone SHTF War Wagon.

http://api.zenfolio.com/cdn/pub/lfqo0zoxzuzt/0/null/mh/lcs5kd73eqmohvh8a1jj/s5/v124/p311375358-5.jpg?sn=2YH&tk=8rgQbXrI0EgtZtGXCwRA5z44-ug4PziHEixP3Z-n9TU=

I think this is badder....
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/5feba24266a90fdae9bac219668e01255d10eda5/c=888-489-2786-1916&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/2015/01/13/USATODAY/USATODAY/635567423434831095-XXX-Ram-Rebel-011315-0100-JJT.JPG

HKGuns
01-16-15, 16:59
I wouldn't say 'without issue'' because it's had a rather long list of issues stemming back to it's introduction. That being said, if they can make it produce power reliably like an N/A V8 I'd rather have the turbo six.

While nothing is totally without issues, I take issue with the assertion that this engine has a long list of issues since its introduction. It quite simply hasn't.

A RAM? Oh boy.....:)

Jer
01-16-15, 17:03
While nothing is totally without issues, I take issue with the assertion that this engine has a long list of issues since its introduction. It quite simply hasn't.

You're right, manufacturers get sued over engine designs every day. :rolleyes:

Let's not turn this into a debate over the obvious because you refuse to accept fact as reality otherwise you're going to ruin this thread quickly.

HKGuns
01-16-15, 17:12
You're right, manufacturers get sued over engine designs every day. :rolleyes:

Let's not turn this into a debate over the obvious because you refuse to accept fact as reality otherwise you're going to ruin this thread quickly.

Yes they do and a lawsuit from 3 people out of Millions of Engines produced is statistically meaningless.

Out.

Jer
01-16-15, 17:14
Yes they do and a lawsuit from 3 people out of Millions of Engines produced is statistically meaningless.

Out.

Yeah, multiple recalls across ever model that uses that powerplant is meaningless too I'm sure. Are you just in denial or do you own stock in Ford?

HKGuns
01-17-15, 09:44
Out means Out there Jer. Let it go.......

Jer
01-17-15, 09:51
Out means Out there Jer. Let it go.......

I did. You don't get to make another inaccurate statement & then say "out" & expect it left alone. Had you said "out" before spreading more bovine excrement we'd be done. Otherwise that would be like me saying; registering firearms will make everyone safer! Out!

Life doesn't work that way.

MBtech
01-17-15, 12:54
All vehicles have their own problems. I don't care who designs and builds them. Recalls and service campaigns are nothing new and will never go away. I'm glad they break and I'm glad they have problems, it's called job security. If we're talking a brand spanking new vehicle that is under warranty, first off pick a dealer that has a good service department reputation to get you fixed and back on the road as soon as possible, and has loaner cars to assist with while yours is being repaired. None of them are perfect, never will be. That's just my .2$ on this engine sucks, that one is better, Ford sucks Chevy is better type discussion. YMMV.

Jer
01-17-15, 13:56
All vehicles have their own problems. I don't care who designs and builds them. Recalls and service campaigns are nothing new and will never go away. I'm glad they break and I'm glad they have problems, it's called job security. If we're talking a brand spanking new vehicle that is under warranty, first off pick a dealer that has a good service department reputation to get you fixed and back on the road as soon as possible, and has loaner cars to assist with while yours is being repaired. None of them are perfect, never will be. That's just my .2$ on this engine sucks, that one is better, Ford sucks Chevy is better type discussion. YMMV.

I agree that all vehicles have their problems. What I don't agree with is statements like this: "That twin turbo v6 is a rock solid engine and it is used without issue and with different tunings in many different products." when we ALL know that isn't accurate. Not even close to accurate. I never said Chevy was better or any other for that matter. Not getting into that debate. I'm just not going to sit idly by while some Ford fanboi claims that this engine is flawless and Allah's own choice for motivation in his infallible earth-going chariot. Most of us know better. Many don't and when they read BS like that they think it's accurate. Statements like that have no place in a discussion like this. Let's just talk about the 2015 auto show, shall we?

MBtech
01-17-15, 14:11
I agree that all vehicles have their problems. What I don't agree with is statements like this: "That twin turbo v6 is a rock solid engine and it is used without issue and with different tunings in many different products." when we ALL know that isn't accurate. Not even close to accurate. I never said Chevy was better or any other for that matter. Not getting into that debate. I'm just not going to sit idly by while some Ford fanboi claims that this engine is flawless and Allah's own choice for motivation in his infallible earth-going chariot. Most of us know better. Many don't and when they read BS like that they think it's accurate. Statements like that have no place in a discussion like this. Let's just talk about the 2015 auto show, shall we?

Agreed, I was just using Chevy vs Ford as an example I know you weren't going down that road nor did I accuse you of it. And yes back to the 2015 auto show. Matter of fact any of you all that can go buy you a brand new anything I'm in envy. I've never owned a vehicle that was more than $5k, and I'm 35. I have worked in the industry for 15 years now. Enjoy that new car smell :)

MBtech
01-17-15, 14:32
Showstoppers: The Top 15 Must-See Vehicles From The 2015 Detroit Auto Show

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewdepaula/2015/01/17/show-stoppers-the-top-10-must-see-vehicles-from-the-2015-detroit-auto-show/

HKGuns
01-30-15, 20:17
Regarding the reliability of the 3.5L Ecoboost.

This pretty much speaks for itself and I rest my case. That engine generates 365 HP in a mainstream sedan, 400+ HP in the Raptor and over 600HP in the Ford GT.

Ford Ecoboost Wins 24 Hours at Daytona (http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2015/01/rolex-24-hours-daytona-review-chip-ganassi-racing-take-daytona-honours/)

“This EcoBoost is a whole new engine. For the first time in as long as I can remember in sports car racing we have a new engine, and the best thing about it is that it comes from the same factory that makes the engines for everyone (driving a Ford). What we do in racing will have an effect, helping the people who buy the engine. This is how I learned racing should be. It is how it was and I’m glad it’s back.”

Taken directly from the famed factory floor of the Cleveland (Ohio) Ford Engine Plant 1 are the engine blocks for everyday passenger vehicles and trucks. Coming from the same factory floor are aluminum blocks and heads for the 4-valves-per-cylinder V6 engine found in Michael Shank Racing with Curb/Agajanian’s No. 60 Ford EcoBoost-Riley Daytona Prototype, as well as the two Daytona Prototypes of Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates’ Nos. 01 and 02 Telcel/Target and Target/Telcel Ford EcoBoost-Rileys.

“If anything,” notes Roush Yates Engines’ sports car program director John Maddox, “we’ve had to restrain this EcoBoost engine as opposed to being somewhere around its limits. When we did those records in October we actually had a lot more room on the upside in that EcoBoost engine as far as boost, torque and horsepower are concerned.

“What’s great about this engine is that we’re still learning what we can do with it. It’s an overall advancement in engines, not a retread. As a result, it’s more of a challenge in working with it. Mistakes are gonna happen but I personally like the challenge and so does the rest of the Roush Yates Engines team.”

Ford Ecoboost Engines (http://racing.ford.com/series/road-racing/news/articles/2014/01/ford-ecoboost-engine-among-changes-for-52nd-rolex-24-at-daytona.html)

brickboy240
02-02-15, 10:35
The Eco Boost does produce HP but not nearly the torque of a V8. Also...it produces max HP at MUCH higher rpms that does a V8. Also...I question the longevity of those twin turbos...pulling around a full size crew cab 4x4 pickup for hundreds of thousands of miles. Buying a full size pickup with a V6 is like buying a 1911 in 9mm...no thank you!

Also...ford's pickups are just butt ugly....sorry.

glocktogo
02-02-15, 11:05
The Eco Boost does produce HP but not nearly the torque of a V8. Also...it produces max HP at MUCH higher rpms that does a V8. Also...I question the longevity of those twin turbos...pulling around a full size crew cab 4x4 pickup for hundreds of thousands of miles. Buying a full size pickup with a V6 is like buying a 1911 in 9mm...no thank you!

Quite frankly, shooting a 1911 9mm is like dating a fat chick. It may not do much for your image, but it's WAY more fun to do than you'd imagine. :)

HKGuns
02-02-15, 11:33

Beauty is certainly a personal thing, however, regarding torque, you have it 180 degrees backward. I don't know where you are getting your information from, but it is dead wrong. As you can see from this short video the 3.5 L Ecoboost produces an abundance of torque and it produces it faster and flatter for longer. Read most any review of these engines and they fawn all over the torque these engines produce and how early and strong they pull, even at low RPM.

ETA: For the record, there is no such thing as a 9mm 1911. 1911's are .38 Super and 45ACP only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5XoM7pvqFM

brickboy240
02-02-15, 11:45
Yes but at a very high rpm.

Again...how long do you think those twin turbos or that V6 will last doing these things? Probably not nearly as long as a normally aspirated V8.

I also know two people that have Eco Boost F-150s and they are NOT getting anywhere near the mileage that Ford swears these things should be getting.

HKGuns
02-02-15, 12:05

Again...how long do you think those twin turbos or that V6 will last doing these things? Probably not nearly as long as a normally aspirated V8.

I also know two people that have Eco Boost F-150s and they are NOT getting anywhere near the mileage that Ford swears these things should be getting.

Look at the graph of the torque curve again, you're at Max torque below 2,000 RPM, that isn't exactly high RPM.

These engines have been around since 2009, with something like one million engines produced over that time frame. If they didn't hold up you would know it by now. They can get great gas mileage if you stay out of the boost, a habit most owners don't follow.

I find it amazing how much "Truck" people criticize engine technology improvements as bad or unreliable as compared to the "good 'ole Pushrod V8" you STILL get in your Chevy. Which, if viewed objectively, never were all that reliable.

SilverBullet432
02-02-15, 12:07

Romp on the gas and you wont see it. I get 22 mpg highway with my 2010 5.4

And thats with my SCT tune, cold air, long tube headers, hi flow cats and exhaust.

brickboy240
02-02-15, 13:26
Ummm...I am not running a good ol' pushrod V8.

I have a 6.6 Duramax 3/4 ton GMC 2500.

For my needs...I find most 1/2 tons damn near useless for pulling anything larger than a bass boat.

Mileage on my Duramax is not that much worse than the Tundra it replaced...really. However the beast pulls everything and seems like it barely strains the thing versus most 1/2 ton gassers that huff and puff pulling a load.

HKGuns
02-02-15, 13:53
So the turbo in your Diesel is going to last?

brickboy240
02-02-15, 14:11
I know several people that own Duramax diesels and none have replaced a turbo. The turbo in a diesel like this does not see the rpms of one in a smaller gasser motor. It is warranted to 100k miles...we'll see. Currently at 65k miles...the motor has been incident free.

Ford has changed their diesel motors in their 3/4 ton trucks so often...I cannot keep up. Their 6.0 was a dog, then there was the 6.4 now the 6.7. The Cummins unit in the Dodge 2500s has been pretty reliable but Ford has yet to find one that they like and will stick with. Why...I do not know.

The other reason not to get an EcoBoost is the US car makers really don't have a good track record of making a gas turbo motor that is very reliable. The Europeans...yes..but not us. I still think the non aspirate V8 will last longer and give less trouble....old school or not.

glocktogo
02-02-15, 14:25
Ummm...I am not running a good ol' pushrod V8.

I have a 6.6 Duramax 3/4 ton GMC 2500.

For my needs...I find most 1/2 tons damn near useless for pulling anything larger than a bass boat.

Mileage on my Duramax is not that much worse than the Tundra it replaced...really. However the beast pulls everything and seems like it barely strains the thing versus most 1/2 ton gassers that huff and puff pulling a load.

You don't even need a 1/2 ton for a bass boat. What makes me laugh is all the people in my area that drive more truck than they'll ever use. It's more of a status thing than anything else. I'd love to get a new tow vehicle, but I can't justify trading in my 02' 4Runner, when it's only needed a power antenna motor replaced outside regular maintenance.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0154.jpg

brickboy240
02-02-15, 14:32
Out at the ranch...Dad has a 6 horse trailer and a 28ft goose neck for hauling the tractor and hay bails.

There is no doing that with a 1/2 ton or a small SUV.

Yes...many do buy more truck than they need but some of us DO use the power our trucks have.

Once you have towed with a diesel 3/4 ton...it is hard to go back to towing with a 1/2 ton....seriously.

I also keep an older Volvo S-40 as my daily commuting beater. Not driving that big truck to work every day! LOL

SilverBullet432
02-02-15, 16:31
Gooseneck life :cool:

http://i59.tinypic.com/30bfih3.jpg

Big A
02-02-15, 17:04
I find it amazing how much "Truck" people criticize engine technology improvements as bad or unreliable as compared to the "good 'ole Pushrod V8" you STILL get in your Chevy. Which, if viewed objectively, never were all that reliable.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/images/content/2015/012615_39.jpg

Seemed to work ok for these guys...

SteveS
02-02-15, 17:23
Been looking at new vehicles and the junk you are forced to byTY screens anti theft with $500 keys . Start and stop.A high % of made in China parts content. View the video to feel my pain.https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=omkJmE1NwDc&x-yt-ts=1421914688

C-grunt
02-03-15, 00:23
I have several mechanic friends who build racing cars. Mostly Japanese. Several of them have commented on the Ecoboost V6 being a very well made motor. Plus they are using Garrett turbos. Only major problem I have heard of had to do with the intercooler condensing and introducing water into the system. That was fixed years ago. A guy I know has a tuned 4 door 4x4 Ecoboost F150 that runs in the low to mid 13s in the quarter. That motor is a torque monster. I would have no worries buying that motor. I know a few people with them and they get 20+ mpg on highway trips if they stay out of the skinny pedal. That being said I personally would still buy the 5.0 just because I would want a nice V8 with an exhaust. Plus since Im the guy they market the NA V6s to (I have zero tow or haul needs) the lower power of the V8 is still WAY more than I need.

SilverBullet432
02-03-15, 01:01
I have a buddy who is in the 13's with his 5.0 supercab f150. He now has a supercharger so he might be in the low 13's now.

C-grunt
02-03-15, 01:48
I have a buddy who is in the 13's with his 5.0 supercab f150. He now has a supercharger so he might be in the low 13's now.

There is a lot of speculation that Ford under rates the 5.0. I read some guys dynoing them and saying its much closer to 400 horsepower than 365. IF I buy a full size truck its a tie right now between a FX4 F150 5.0 and TRD Tundra 5.7.

SilverBullet432
02-03-15, 08:38
I believe it. The mustang 5.0 is at 400. The only difference in the 2 is the compression ratio no? I forget

C-grunt
02-03-15, 09:06
I believe it. The mustang 5.0 is at 400. The only difference in the 2 is the compression ratio no? I forget

That and the truck motor is a little more beefed up for towing. Plus they are rating the 2015 motor at 385 horsepower but I havent heard what is different.

C-grunt
02-03-15, 13:10
Also I have to disagree that Chevy pushrod V8s are unreliable. Their cylinder deactivation sure is unreliable but the V8s without them like the 6.2 in the Camro and Corvette and the 6.0 in the 2500 are very reliable motors.

The Ford 6.0 diesel was just a bad designed motor. Not enough bolts to hold on the heads and they blew head gaskets. The 6.4 wasnt a horrible motor but it suffered from same emissions crap that even gave problems to the Cummins and Duramax motors of that timeframe. A good buddy has the 6.4 and other than his EGR acting up its been a solid truck. The newer diesels from the big three seem to have the problems mostly figured out. I havent heard much complaining about the 6.7 Powerstroke, the 6.7 Cummins, or the 6.6 Duramax. Id feel comfortable buying either of them.

HKGuns
02-03-15, 13:38
That was a Navistar 6.0 L diesel, not a Ford Diesel. It's issues were why Ford designed their new Diesel engine in house. There were a number of lawsuits around the Navistar diesel.

GM is far from perfect, but my main point about pushrods was they were 1970's technology.

C-grunt
02-03-15, 13:52
That was a Navistar 6.0 L diesel, not a Ford Diesel. It's issues were why Ford designed their new Diesel engine in house. There were a number of lawsuits around the Navistar diesel.

GM is far from perfect, but my main point about pushrods was they were 1970's technology.

I used the term Ford Diesel just to note that it was in the F250. I couldnt remember who built it at the time.

Trust me I know GM is far from perfect. We drive Tahoes and Impalas at work as our patrol cars. Other than the engine failures caused by cylinder deactivation the Tahoes hold up really well. The Impalas are pieces of crap that dont last 70k miles before we have serious problems with them. Plus my mother had a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire that was the biggest POS I have ever seen. By 60k miles the dash board instruments didnt work and it developed a fuel leak along the fuel rail on top of the motor. We took the car to Chevy who said they were aware of this problem but wouldnt fix it under warranty. Because of that I will not be buying a GM product in the near future.

MBtech
02-07-15, 21:09
Porsche Cayman GT4
http://m.insidercarnews.com/porsche-officially-reveals-the-cayman-gt4/

So sexy

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-07-15, 21:31
There is a lot of speculation that Ford under rates the 5.0. I read some guys dynoing them and saying its much closer to 400 horsepower than 365. IF I buy a full size truck its a tie right now between a FX4 F150 5.0 and TRD Tundra 5.7.

I bought a new Tundra last year, 4 days later I got hit on the highway and ended up driving a new F150 for a month while my Tundra was being pieced back together. The Ford had the better interior by far, but the Tundra simply drove better and was had a noticeable lead in HP/TQ over the Ford. With all the reported Ford issues throughout the years, I'm happy to be back in my big red Tundra.

SilverBullet432
02-07-15, 22:05
Also I have to disagree that Chevy pushrod V8s are unreliable. Their cylinder deactivation sure is unreliable but the V8s without them like the 6.2 in the Camro and Corvette and the 6.0 in the 2500 are very reliable motors.

The Ford 6.0 diesel was just a bad designed motor. Not enough bolts to hold on the heads and they blew head gaskets. The 6.4 wasnt a horrible motor but it suffered from same emissions crap that even gave problems to the Cummins and Duramax motors of that timeframe. A good buddy has the 6.4 and other than his EGR acting up its been a solid truck. The newer diesels from the big three seem to have the problems mostly figured out. I havent heard much complaining about the 6.7 Powerstroke, the 6.7 Cummins, or the 6.6 Duramax. Id feel comfortable buying either of them.

I beg to differ. Do the right stuff, and you can make a 6.0 way more reliable than a 6.7 sure, you're going to spend some coin, but you will have a solid truck. I tow with a 6.0 and it has plenty of power. The only reason i would buy a new truck would be for better fuel economy.

C-grunt
02-08-15, 20:16
Have you had it since new? I heard there are new bolts for the head that are better than factory. I personally dont know anyone with a 6.0 F250 but my racing friends know some guys with them as pull vehicles for their race cars. One of them was joking that everyone that had the 6.0 had blown head gaskets.

Ive heard from diesel guys that any of these motors are great once you fix the inherent problems with them. But Ford dropped the 6.0 pretty quickly and everything Ive read was because they had a lot of problems with it. Hell they got rid of the 6.4 pretty quickly too but I know a couple guys with them and they are a great truck. One buddy has had problems with his EGR valve and I think a faulty O2 sensor. Other than that they have been great trucks for well over 100k miles.

SilverBullet432
02-08-15, 20:34
Not this one but weve had one new before. My dad has a 6.4 now. No issues. Really the only way youll blow a gasket is if you put an aggressive tuner on it.

brickboy240
02-09-15, 15:55
GM had a problem with the cylinder deactivation - or AFM - on the 5.3 when it first came out. They were causing oil burning issues. By 2012 they had a fix for it and the newer 5.3 motors do not have the issues. I have owned several push rod V8 Chevys (including a 5.3) and nope...they are not unreliable if you get one made after 2012 or like mine...before the AFM was put on the motors.

My current 2013 GMC 2500 6.6 Duramax now has 60k on the clock and not a lick of trouble. Pull my brother's 6 horse trailer and dad's 28ft gooseneck with 8 hay bails often and the thing pulls without a whimper.

Around town, I get 15-16 mpg and on the highway without a trailer I get around 18.5-19 mpg. Not bad considering I have a 2" levelling kit and 34" tires.

You will have a very hard time convincing me that the full size GM pickup is a POS. Yes...GM does many things wrong...totally wrong but they do two things right. The Corvette and the full sized pickup. Everything else they make ranges from iffy to junk.

MBtech
02-09-15, 16:47
GM had a problem with the cylinder deactivation - or AFM - on the 5.3 when it first came out. They were causing oil burning issues. By 2012 they had a fix for it and the newer 5.3 motors do not have the issues. I have owned several push rod V8 Chevys (including a 5.3) and nope...they are not unreliable if you get one made after 2012 or like mine...before the AFM was put on the motors.

The oil consumption issues were mostly resolved with a revised left valve cover design for the PCV system, and a baffle over the AFM valve in the oil pan to prevent excessive oil spray back up into the cylinders. "Most" on the earlier models were cured by these, but some did require new pistons and rings for excessive oil consumption.

C-grunt
02-09-15, 22:43

My current 2013 GMC 2500 6.6 Duramax now has 60k on the clock and not a lick of trouble. Pull my brother's 6 horse trailer and dad's 28ft gooseneck with 8 hay bails often and the thing pulls without a whimper.

Around town, I get 15-16 mpg and on the highway without a trailer I get around 18.5-19 mpg. Not bad considering I have a 2" levelling kit and 34" tires.

You will have a very hard time convincing me that the full size GM pickup is a POS. Yes...GM does many things wrong...totally wrong but they do two things right. The Corvette and the full sized pickup. Everything else they make ranges from iffy to junk.

We use Tahoes at work and pretty much every pre 2012 trucks have new/rebuilt motors in them. The 13s and 14s dont have enough miles on them to really judge. The Tahoe I have been driving is a 2008 with right at 180k HARD miles put on it. Mostly city driving and lots of fast acceleration and hard braking. Other than the motors crapping out they have been awesome trucks.

brickboy240
02-10-15, 10:58
Another thing I know that helps the GM 5.3 liter V8 is to use full synthetic oil from day one.

I did this on my old 99 Silverado 5.3 and I never had oil burning or pistol slap issues that plagued many early 5.3 motors.

I had two separate GM techs tell me my use of full synthetic from day one probably led to no piston slap or excessive oil burning.

If you ask me, the GM 5.3 gasser and the 6.6 Duramax are pretty damn reliable.

MBtech
02-10-15, 11:15
Another thing I know that helps the GM 5.3 liter V8 is to use full synthetic oil from day one.

I did this on my old 99 Silverado 5.3 and I never had oil burning or pistol slap issues that plagued many early 5.3 motors.

I had two separate GM techs tell me my use of full synthetic from day one probably led to no piston slap or excessive oil burning.

If you ask me, the GM 5.3 gasser and the 6.6 Duramax are pretty damn reliable.

+1
I worked for a GM dealer from 07-13, I'd buy a GM truck in a heartbeat, major problems were few and far between, except early Duramax engines with injector problems.