PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't WE Think Of This???

Dienekes
01-13-15, 11:44
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/13/alabama-principal-seeks-cans-food-to-defend-against-intruders-790312695/?intcmp=latestnews

If only we could be creative and think out of the box as well as the professionals!

To put it all in better perspective, pay close attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS2Yz2VpZK4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Whiskey_Bravo
01-13-15, 12:20
I am not sure what to even say. Cans of food to protect against an active shooter? Sounds legit to me.

Be right back, going to see if Raven Concealment can make me an IWB baked bean can holster and a couple of small diced chilli can back up mags.

BoringGuy45
01-13-15, 12:32
This may sound funny, but it's almost a step in the right direction. Most of these educators want the answer to violent attackers to be a person walking up to them and saying, "I know you're hurting inside and no one seems to care, and that's why you're doing this. Please put down the gun and let us talk in a safe and accepting environment." This can defense thing at least is an acknowledgement that one must use physical force to stop a violent individual.

MBtech
01-13-15, 12:35
I can't get that damn song out of my head!!!! Damn you!!!:fie:

T2C
01-13-15, 12:51
Cans of food? Wielded by U.S. Navy cooks, cans of anything can mean certain incapacitation.

Each school needs a few designated shooters with firearms hidden/secured where only they can get to them. Given proper instruction and working with local law enforcement, in my humble opinion that is the way to go.

jpmuscle
01-13-15, 12:59
Cans of food? Wielded by U.S. Navy cooks, cans of anything can mean certain incapacitation.

Each school needs a few designated shooters with firearms hidden/secured where only they can get to them. Given proper instruction and working with local law enforcement, in my humble opinion that is the way to go.
Where's Steven Segal when you need him?

ST911
01-13-15, 13:06
We could mock it, or appreciate the value it does have: It introduces and mainstreams the concepts of a last line of defense, active resistance, and improvised weapons in an incremental and more palatable way for the masses. Use what you have, in the ways that you can.

T2C
01-13-15, 13:08
We could mock it, or appreciate the value it does have: It introduces and mainstreams the concepts of a last line of defense, active resistance, and improvised weapons in an incremental and more palatable way for the masses. Use what you have, in the ways that you can.

Valid points. Use what you have at hand, fight back and don't quit.

SteyrAUG
01-13-15, 13:08
I am not sure what to even say. Cans of food to protect against an active shooter? Sounds legit to me.

Be right back, going to see if Raven Concealment can make me an IWB baked bean can holster and a couple of small diced chilli can back up mags.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctl8ofj5v1qitkceo1_500.jpg

markm
01-13-15, 13:09
I agree that it's a step towards the WILD notion of defending one's self.

T2C
01-13-15, 13:10
I agree that it's a step towards the WILD notion of defending one's self.

A tiny step, but a step nonetheless.

Eurodriver
01-13-15, 13:21

This may sound funny, but it's almost a step in the right direction. Most of these educators want the answer to violent attackers to be a person walking up to them and saying, "I know you're hurting inside and no one seems to care, and that's why you're doing this. Please put down the gun and let us talk in a safe and accepting environment." This can defense thing at least is an acknowledgement that one must use physical force to stop a violent individual.

Bingo.

Averageman
01-13-15, 13:23
A 20 oz Can of Jack Mackerel in a double layer of tube socks would be like getting hit with a wrecking ball.
Now if the could only resurrect my 4th grade Teacher Mrs Mary De Sade to wield it with the same enthusiasm She twisted my ears we would have a winner.

Ryno12
01-13-15, 13:24
A tiny step, but a step nonetheless.

Indeed, and to take a look at it from an academia standpoint...

Tin is listed right above lead in the periodic table. So one more tiny step down & we can start throwing lead instead of tin cans. ;)

SilverBullet432
01-13-15, 13:42
Pros:

1. Some means of defense is better than no means of defense.
2. Cans of food can easily be stored in a classroom. Back in elementary, we had a stash in the back closet for emergencies.

Cons:

They would (in liberal eyes who always seem to contradict themselves) be promoting violence? :sarcastic:

SteyrAUG
01-13-15, 14:51
Not to poo poo the baby steps made by anybody, indeed Paul Kersey got his start with a sock full of nickles, but I just don't see anyone having stopped Adam Lanza with canned food.

Either you have what you need to reasonably address a threat or you just have another "feel good" distraction that lets you believe you are now prepared. A pair of SROs who know how to flank, contain and then blindside an active shooter are the kinds of things that stop guys like Adam Lanza.

Eurodriver
01-13-15, 14:57
Not to poo poo the baby steps made by anybody, indeed Paul Kersey got his start with a sock full of nickles, but I just don't see anyone having stopped Adam Lanza with canned food.

Either you have what you need to reasonably address a threat or you just have another "feel good" distraction that lets you believe you are now prepared. A pair of SROs who know how to flank, contain and then blindside an active shooter are the kinds of things that stop guys like Adam Lanza.

Duals SROs are expensive, and not very practical
This is a method, even though it's not tactical.

ryr8828
01-13-15, 15:16

I beg you to look upon the story of David and Goliath.

C-grunt
01-13-15, 15:34
I got an idea:

1. Shrink the cans down and fill them with lead
2. put the cans in a tube
3. propel the cans down the pipe with some sort of accelerant
4. make some sort of aiming device to put on the tube
5. build some sort of mechanical function that puts more cans and accelerants into the tube automatically.

Pi3
01-13-15, 15:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rijQ5oBFlO0

see 1:30

SteyrAUG
01-13-15, 16:47
Duals SROs are expensive, and not very practical
This is a method, even though it's not tactical.

Ya know, if ever there was the time to break out the "if it saves the life of ONE child" this would be it. SROs do not cost that much, they make about 1/3 of what your typical functionally useless district administrator earns. A pair of SROs in every public school would also go a LONG way towards saving money in the long run by nipping a lot of problems in the bud early on.

jpmuscle
01-13-15, 16:51
Ya know, if ever there was the time to break out the "if it saves the life of ONE child" this would be it. SROs do not cost that much, they make about 1/3 of what your typical functionally useless district administrator earns. A pair of SROs in every public school would also go a LONG way towards saving money in the long run by nipping a lot of problems in the bud early on.
The superintendent on ONE school district in my county makes 285,000.00 per year. The same school has ZERO SROs.

The failure is evident.

SteyrAUG
01-13-15, 16:51
I beg you to look upon the story of David and Goliath.

So we just need to issue slings to teachers and have them dedicate the necessary hours to perfecting the use of archaic weapons?!? Do you defend your home and family with soup cans?

And since we are going to use fairy tales as a guide, why not just have every school trade their cow for magic beans and children can escape violent attackers by simply climbing the beanstalk to safety.

jpmuscle
01-13-15, 16:54
Fwiw those chunky soup cans can be pretty hefty lol

williejc
01-16-15, 20:40
I'm reminded of a home defense recommendation I heard about decades ago: Throw your cat into the intruder's face. Why not just shoot him?