PDA

View Full Version : question on ammo

ubet
01-14-15, 12:38
I was reading another thread on here and had a few questions and didnt want to derail the thread. Their was talk of using heavier bullets and the 55fmj being cheap (which I have damn sure noticed), my question is for just practice what do you guys use? Is it straight heavy bullets no matter what, or is that just for accuracy, or for better performance down range. I am new to ars, but have a lot of time behind precision bolt guns so I get the heavier bullets for accuracy and stability downrange. Is the 55fmj bulk stuff fine for practice and drills or is it better to spend a little more coin and get a heavier grain. If so, what grain? My rifle is a 6920

Ryno12
01-14-15, 12:41
I load my blaster ammo with 55gr FMJs & precision stuff with 77SMKs.

ReRun
01-14-15, 12:55
I load my blaster ammo with 55gr FMJs & precision stuff with 77SMKs.

+1

I buy bulk 55 to shoot regularly and use the 77 for precision and HD.

Kain
01-14-15, 12:57
55gr and sometimes 62 gr(Not necessarily M855) for range practice, getting on paper, or dicking around ect. Heavier grain stuff for HD, precision, ect.

ubet
01-14-15, 13:02
Ok, thanks, that cleared a lot of things up! I had been running some bulk 55fmj from freedom munitions through it, I know its not accurate, but figured for practice and stuff like that it was good enough. I can make offhand hits with it at 300yds on a 20x14 steel.

Whats some good hd stuff to look into? Are you guys rolling your own or buying it?

7.62NATO
01-14-15, 13:06

SilverCat
01-14-15, 13:07
I primarily use 62gr 855, but sometimes resort to misc .223 loads for practice.

T2C
01-14-15, 13:08
I shoot a lot of 55g and 62g ammunition for training purposes. If it will shoot 3 MOA out to 300 Meters and is reasonably priced (cheap), I'll use it.

markm
01-14-15, 13:18
I doubt that I'll ever buy 55 gr FMJ again. I sometimes shoot 50 gr Soft Point hornady for close range steel. And we ran those bullets through a bunch of extra citrus last week. That was fun.

TehLlama
01-14-15, 15:49
I do run a lot of 55gr because I have piles of IMI 55gr M193 type stuff around.
When I break out my nicer SS precision rifles, I feed them the PPU 75gr or 69gr stuff - it's still under $0.50/rd when bought in bulk, and matches the trajectory of the Mk262 clone stuff I have to within the accuracy cone of the PPU stuff (it's 1.5MOA ammo for me out of uppers capable of MOA or slightly better - great performance value when I'm trying to improve my shooting to be consistently 4MOA or better when shooting from anything but supported prone).

I'd figure out what the high-end go-to load will be for that thing (when you're trying to wring out accuracy, or if you end up having it loaded for SD/HD applications), then work from there. Nothing wrong with running a ton of 55gr through it to get good at putting rounds on target in a timely fashion.

MegademiC
01-14-15, 16:13
I started on a stag and fed it mostly wolf and tula. It fired and let me practice. I now have a decent barrel I don't want to shoot out using the hard jacket they use, and am saving up for a reloader. I'll be fed in it the cheapest stuff I can make for close up training, and either 75/77 otms or 62 gr bullets (to math the fusion I'm gonna start stocking) for practice where accuracy of the rifle starts to come into play.

I'm not gonna pay extra to put holes in paper at 50yds. If I miss at that range, better bullets won't help.

I find m 193 to be expensive for what it is. If I want to stock ammo underwater for years, it's about the best thing out there. Outside of that, I have little use for it.

CatSnipah
01-14-15, 16:29
55gr and sometimes 62 gr(Not necessarily M855) for range practice, getting on paper, or dicking around ect. Heavier grain stuff for HD, precision, ect.

Pretty much same for me.

At my skill level and only shooting at 50-100 yards, I don't see a huge difference. A difference? Maybe. Huge? No.

But it might have a bit to do with me and the fact that I don't often go out to make as small a group as possible. But that's me. Others have different goals and that's what makes the world so much fun.

When I'm ready to work towards higher precision, I will look to a higher grain and higher-end round.

ubet
01-14-15, 19:27
I do run a lot of 55gr because I have piles of IMI 55gr M193 type stuff around.
When I break out my nicer SS precision rifles, I feed them the PPU 75gr or 69gr stuff - it's still under $0.50/rd when bought in bulk, and matches the trajectory of the Mk262 clone stuff I have to within the accuracy cone of the PPU stuff (it's 1.5MOA ammo for me out of uppers capable of MOA or slightly better - great performance value when I'm trying to improve my shooting to be consistently 4MOA or better when shooting from anything but supported prone).

I'd figure out what the high-end go-to load will be for that thing (when you're trying to wring out accuracy, or if you end up having it loaded for SD/HD applications), then work from there. Nothing wrong with running a ton of 55gr through it to get good at putting rounds on target in a timely fashion.

For sd/hd I had always heard its a bad idea to use reloads in a ccw pistol if god forbid you needed to use it. Does the same carry true to ars? I reload for everything else I have, just been to lazy to reload for the ar. If I get inclined to do so, I am going to force myself to buy a progressive press first off. What bullets are you using for sd/hd?

Onyx Z
01-14-15, 20:06
For sd/hd I had always heard its a bad idea to use reloads in a ccw pistol if god forbid you needed to use it. Does the same carry true to ars? I reload for everything else I have, just been to lazy to reload for the ar. If I get inclined to do so, I am going to force myself to buy a progressive press first off. What bullets are you using for sd/hd?

For HD, I use pulled 5.56 brass (typically Federal American Eagle) so the primer is staked (you know, Murphy and all). I save the powder and drop some XBR in that sucker with a 77gr SMK w/ cannelure on top. Then put a light crimp with a Lee FC die. Luckily it shoots .5moa consistenly in two of my rifles. Sort of a Mk262 clone.

I got this idea from some hoodrat that frequents this forum.

markm
01-15-15, 07:33
I got this idea from some hoodrat that frequents this forum.

It's good "drive-by" ammo!

RVTMaverick
01-16-15, 08:14
Well I have to say, I'm surprised about all the replies/answers (I'm still learning) because until this morning, I have always heard about Bullet Weights as to which is best for 1:7 twist or 1:9.... and NOT once have I even seen this mentioned....? :confused:

I love this site! :cool:

Thanks guys for all the info., even though I'm getting up in age :fie: and rifle shooting is still New to me....
I'm taking all this up like a sponge or mushroom, which ever you like better... :p

Peace Jeff

Onyx Z
01-16-15, 08:21
I have always heard about Bullet Weights as to which is best for 1:7 twist or 1:9.... and NOT once have I even seen this mentioned....? :confused:

It actually has to do with the length, not the weight. But, typically the heavier a bullet (of same caliber), the longer it is. Thus, requiring a faster twist barrel.

markm
01-16-15, 08:22
I have always heard about Bullet Weights as to which is best for 1:7 twist or 1:9.... and NOT once have I even seen this mentioned....? :confused:

Not many people here run a 1/9.... so it rarely comes up.

cwgibson
01-16-15, 08:40
I doubt that I'll ever buy 55 gr FMJ again. I sometimes shoot 50 gr Soft Point hornady for close range steel. And we ran those bullets through a bunch of extra citrus last week. That was fun.

I visit the pumpkin patch right at or after Halloween and they usually let me have all I want for free, good times. I'm loading the 77gr Nosler's as well. I just got some of the Nosler 64gr BSB bullets I will also work up a load with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

markm
01-16-15, 08:44
I visit the pumpkin patch right at or after Halloween and they usually let me have all I want for free, good times.

CAL Ranch stores had 20 lb bulk Sonic Boom (tannerite) buckets for $50 over Christmas. Tannerite and pumpkins are made for each other.

The 50 gr Hornady SP bullets blow oranges to bits perfectly. And the suppressor makes is that much funner.

RVTMaverick
01-16-15, 09:14
CAL Ranch stores had 20 lb bulk Sonic Boom (tannerite) buckets for $50 over Christmas. Tannerite and pumpkins are made for each other.

The 50 gr Hornady SP bullets blow oranges to bits perfectly. And the suppressor makes is that much funner.

LMAO-OL over picturing this.....

You guys have any video of this here or on Youtube? I'd love to see it... :D

markm
01-16-15, 09:29
You guys have any video of this here or on Youtube? I'd love to see it... :D

In AZ.. during citrus season, everyone is trying to give away oranges and stuff from the trees in their yards. I had a bag sitting on my front porch for a week... so I fired up the Dillon and loaded a bunch of 50 gr Soft points. Turned out to be a lot of fun.. blowing them to bits with a suppressed bolt action rifle. :)

But we didn't video it.

Ryno12
01-16-15, 12:24
Tannerite and pumpkins are made for each other.

Around Halloween, a group of us guys gather together at a buddy's house and there's free-for-all with tannerite, pumpkins and other miscellaneous crap we want to blow up. The tighter you pack it, the more exciting the boom. We've obliterated those el cheapo safes with tannerite & pumpkins shoehorned inside. I believe there's actually some cell phone video of the event but it's probably best that it remains unshared with the internet. ;)

markm
01-16-15, 13:26
Hodgdon single powder jugs make for a perfect 2 lb Tannerite charge. ;)

Ryno12
01-16-15, 13:31
Hodgdon single powder jugs make for a perfect 2 lb Tannerite charge. ;)

Funny you mention that. I've got a couple empty ones laying around & just last night I was trying to think of how I could repurpose them.
I've got my answer. :)