PDA

View Full Version : VA Arms crew shooting IDPA at Cavalier 9/24

Robb Jensen
09-24-06, 19:19
Brett took 1st CDP, Luis took 1st SSP, and I was 3rd CDP (I was shooting like an old man!, I blame the 200 power factor USGI 230gr BALL and zero training/shooting this gun at all this year! )

I'm very happy my gun ran fine. I installed a C&S trigger pull kit in Feb of this year but I never test fired it.

I shot the match with no penalties, I almost dropped an empty mag with a round still in the chamber but caught myself which costed me at least 1.5 seconds, I felt like I was shooting a little slow 2 of the 3 stages, I shot pretty accurately but low. I always forget to aim slightly high on IDPA targets when at 15yds or so. On the mover stage I got 5 hits in the torso -0 (it req'd only 4 hits). I got nice tight groups on the static targets but about 2" low in that stage. Brett and Luis shot very well, Luis could probably easily classify as SSP Expert maybe even Master if he shot the classifier. Luis is a former Marine who worked at HRP (High Risk Personnel) at Weapons Training Batt. And then at Blackwater as a driving instructor. Brett missed Master by .41 points last month at the IDPA Classifier in SSP at Cavalier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Brett.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/brettbarrels.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/luismuzzleblast.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/luisbrass.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Robb.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/robbbarrels.jpg

Pics of the side rifle match. Brett was 2nd in Open, Luis was 8th in LTD, and I was 3rd in Open (damn I could swear I shot that first stage a whole lot faster than 8.73sec, I could have sworn it was under 6sec oh well). I had one miss on paper Brett had two misses and beat me? Strange.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Brettrifle.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/luisrifle2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/robbrifle.jpg

Boom
09-24-06, 19:28
Hell yeah get some. :D

TOrrock
09-24-06, 19:34
Damn, I missed you guys. I got there around 11am.

It was a good match, and Randy (BlackScot on AKForum and Arfcom) deserves a lot of credit for designing and running the rifle side match.

Robb Jensen
09-24-06, 19:37
Damn, I missed you guys. I got there around 11am.

It was a good match, and Randy (BlackScot on AKForum and Arfcom) deserves a lot of credit for designing and running the rifle side match.

We got there at about 0930hrs and left at 1300hrs.

TOrrock
09-24-06, 19:39
Well hell, we just never crossed paths.

It'd been so long since I shot a match or got out to do some serious practice.......it really showed. Had a great time though.

Looks like you and your crew did great!

Boris
09-25-06, 17:11
Congrats to the VA Arms crew and what a great day for a match.

It's never good to see yourself beaten by an "unclassified" shooter but nice to see you guys are willing to travel. Had I recognized you from the photos I've seen on this forum, I'd have introduced myself. I was assisting SO on the Jeep stage and shooting CDP EX.

You guys should try to make a Black Creek match (Second Sat of each month) sometime. Rarely a side match, but usually a fantastic pistol match.

TOrrock
09-25-06, 17:22
Great time was had, we had to engage targets at distances ranging from 135 yards to about 15 yards, a good portion of it on the move. Three separate stages, all of them challenging.

Shooting on the move nailed a bunch of people.

Here is the course of fire....have to be a yahoo member....

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/VAIDPA/files/Cavalier%20Side%20Matches/rifle_COFs_for_9-24-06/

BlackScot (Randy) came up with the course of fire and RO'd the whole thing yesterday. It's a ton of work, even with people helping out.

I came in 3rd. overall shooting my Arsenal Inc. SLR-105A1 vs. beaucoup AR with optics guys. :cool:

OVERALL
NAME GUN FINAL SCORE

JOE F AR15 DOT 61.21
BRETT S AR15 DOT 62.9
TIM O (2) AK74 IRONS 68.25
ROBERT J AR15 DOT 69.12
TRAVIS C AR15 DOT 72.6
CARLOS G AR15 DOT 72.62
BRANDON C AR15 DOT 76.47
JOE S AR15 DOT 79.81
HERMAN G AR15 DOT 79.82
STEVE S AR15 DOT 82.42
TONY R AR15 DOT 83.78
LARRY T AR15 DOT 84.35
RANDY M AK74 IRONS 84.92
SCOTT T (2) AR15 DOT 90.27
ANTON K MINI14 IRONS 0 91.35
SAM E AK47 IRONS 91.59
TIM O AK47 IRONS 92.88
WILLIAM V FAL IRONS 95.45
"MR" JIM W FAL IRONS 99.49
SCOTT T AK74 IRONS 108.1
GARY B AR15 DOT 113.26
DANIEL K AR15 DOT 120.82
DAVE M AK IRONS 121.55
LUIS G AR15 IRONS 125.15
KEN O SKS IRONS 125.55
MARCUS S AR15 DOT 146.83
BRUCE I AK74 IRONS 175.18
KEVIN S G3 IRONS 181.86
"PRINCESS" D AR15 IRONS 261.75
SCOTT C AR10 IRONS DNF

I learned a couple of things.....

#1) Don't put a partially expended magazine back in a pouch that you're grabbing fully loaded mags out of.......bad things happen.... :o

#2) As much as I love my Arsenal Inc. SA-M7 Classic.....I'm A LOT more accurate and faster with the SLR-105A1....it's definitely my "get-up-and-go-takin' care of biznezz" rifle.

Thanks again to BlackScot!

Hopefully we'll get some pics of some of the AK guys.

Wish I had met up with Robb and crew. Boris looked like he was having a good time with his Colt MT6400....:D

Robb Jensen
09-25-06, 18:07
Congrats to the VA Arms crew and what a great day for a match.

It's never good to see yourself beaten by an "unclassified" shooter but nice to see you guys are willing to travel. Had I recognized you from the photos I've seen on this forum, I'd have introduced myself. I was assisting SO on the Jeep stage and shooting CDP EX.

You guys should try to make a Black Creek match (Second Sat of each month) sometime. Rarely a side match, but usually a fantastic pistol match.

Thanks. We're all USPSA shooters as well. Brett is A class in Open & Limited and B in Production. I'm B class in Limited & Production and Luis is C class in Limited (sandbagger too!) The only day were off together is Sundays. We each work 5 of 6 Saturdays.

SHIVAN
09-25-06, 21:15
So it was just the three of you shooting then??? :D

Robb Jensen
09-26-06, 03:26
So it was just the three of you shooting then??? :D

Yeah,
We have only 4 full timers, and only 3 of us compete.

We don't take photos of others without permission. Most don't want there pics taken and we aren't representing the clubs nor USPSA/IDPA who hold/sanction these matches.

There were 13 shooters in CDP, 11 in ESP, 26 in SSP & 5 in SSR.

MAP
09-26-06, 07:04
Great photos. What camera did you use?

Mike

Robb Jensen
09-26-06, 07:18

Mike

Canon XT Rebel SLR (8Meg digital). Still learning to use it and need to get some better lenses.

9x19
09-26-06, 20:16

Mike

Thanks. I am the official VA Arms photographer. :D

VA_Dinger
09-26-06, 23:22
I'm going to have to start hitting these matches. M4arc and I started attending the Blackwater IPSA matches and they are a blast. I'm also going to try and rope Yrac, subzero, and Chris914 into these matches from now on.

I get to shoot at Cavalier fairly often because several of my co-workers are members.

Mig
09-26-06, 23:43
Hey Rob,

Noticed the arm wrap - is it helping? Remember ice & Ibhurtns ;) Before and after use - Long road to recovery. I know . . . .

Robb Jensen
09-27-06, 05:49
Hey Rob,

Noticed the arm wrap - is it helping? Remember ice & Ibhurtns ;) Before and after use - Long road to recovery. I know . . . .

Yeah, It's helping a lot. Thanks for the advice.

trio
09-29-06, 23:01
its awesome to see pics of you guys in action...VA Arms is an addiction because of the weapons, but also because of the people...i was in there one day and they were all going fishing on the Chesapeake the next day...seeing this too...having employees that get along so easily really comes through in the customer service department....i know you guys hear this a lot, but it really shows when you are in the store...

and congrats on the performance!

bmwguy
10-04-06, 08:28
That's some nice photos of the pistol in action.

I can never catch the brass in air, or slide in the back. The one with Glock is awsome as well.

I was going to say you musta had some decent SLR to do this but noted you have a Canon SLR.

Cool!

Forest
10-04-06, 12:13
Are your 3-gun matches open to the public? If so do you publish a schedule?

Thanks!

Robb Jensen
10-04-06, 12:36
Are your 3-gun matches open to the public? If so do you publish a schedule?

Thanks!

They're posted on the Blackwater Practical Shooters website. Yes open to public but you do have to pre-register so that Blackwater Security will let you on the property.

9x19
10-04-06, 19:12
That's some nice photos of the pistol in action.

I can never catch the brass in air, or slide in the back. The one with Glock is awsome as well.

I was going to say you musta had some decent SLR to do this but noted you have a Canon SLR.

Cool!

I love the camera. I need to mess with it more, so I can get more experience using it. We were at a shoot when a friend who is a professional photographer handed me one of his lenses. I was able to take some great photos with that lens.

What camera, lens, film are you using when you are photographing firearms in action?

bmwguy
10-04-06, 20:31
What camera, lens, film are you using when you are photographing firearms in action?

I am in transition so I have a cheap Canon digital point and shoot A20? Good enough for net posting and taking pic of the kids. so thats that.

I've always been a Nikon person when it came to SLRs.
I've been eyeing the Nikon D70 but I think my next big purchase will be a M16, so the camera will be on the back burner again.

UNIT 6639
10-06-06, 11:03
Rob, I am sure its been said but your rifle (The one you used in the pics) is pretty cool looking, how much do you have put into it?

Robb Jensen
10-06-06, 11:44
Robb, I am sure its been said but your rifle (The one you used in the pics) is pretty cool looking, how much do you have put into it?

A little less than 2.5K (retail) but obviously being in the business I get most at cost.

Soon I'll be switching from the Magpul PRS to a VLTOR collapsible and to a 16" bbl (probably a reprofiled RRA middy). I want a JP but I need to eat too.