PDA

View Full Version : My vault door project...

rsilvers
01-14-15, 13:40
My wine cellar has thick wooden doors and a good alarm, but I always had a fascination with safes and vaults, so I decided to get a vault door.

I picked a Smith Security Magnum Extreme because I liked the look of stainless, and you can get it stainless clad as an option ($1155 option on an unpainted door, or $800 extra on a painted door). They also make Gun Safes. Also, it has a one inch thick front plate, so that is nice. By the time I added paint, stainless, an inside handle, a full inside flange, some required "easy install" thing, a thermal re-locker, and a manganese hard plate, My final price, after correction for missing items, was $4839 delivered. The owner, Doug Smith, was always available and easy to work with during the ordering process.

http://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/pages/MagExtremeDoorPrice.html

I opted for a regular dial lock this time, to keep more of a classic look fitting for the wine cellar. I have no reason to be able to get in there quickly.

http://s14.postimg.org/s9oun8egx/IMG_5809_s.jpg

In preparation for the door's arrival, I hired a friend to make a thick concrete wall with rebar. Pump truck access was sketchy, so he shoveled in the mix, and we used about 70 bags of 5000psi concrete.

http://s3.postimg.org/r1yck49df/IMG_5877_JPG_1_s.jpg

The wall came out well. He later covered it with drywall and paint.

When the door was ready, I asked for photos to see if I could catch anything before it was shipped. They didn't send any, and shipped the door.

The door arrived close to the estimated time, and at 1500 lbs it was quite a task to even get it off the freight truck. When I inspected it, there were three immediate problems and so I contacted the maker.

The first was that I had ordered it with a lifting-ring so that it could be hoisted into place, and the ring was missing. Doug said that was his shop-manager's fault, and I should call him to make it right. I opted to buy one on my own, and pay for overnight shipping, so that I would not miss the install schedule. Fine, it worked out.

Another was that it was missing the full inside flange that I opted for because I knew it would cost me more to hire someone to construct one from wood. Doug apologized and said he forgot to put in the work order for that, and offered to send me one later. Even though I knew that I had to eat the additional cost of custom wood-work, I declined, as I had a completion date that I wanted to stick to.

The big problem was that some of the bolts were crooked. I was concerned because I knew that once the door was installed, it was installed. Doug said that was normal, and they tend to straighten out when the door is in place. I decided to proceed with the install.

http://s29.postimg.org/ppgcqaad3/IMG_6266.jpg

Seven of my friends helped with the install, and we got it moved and bolted into place in three hours. The move was a challenge because the truck could not being it to the final location. I could easily see professionals charging $2000 or more to install or remove this, but I got it done for under $1000 although I owe a lot of favors now.

http://s23.postimg.org/cax7dh10r/IMG_6276.jpg

I had put a threaded rod on the concrete, and we used that with a come-a-long as a fail-safe. The guys can actually hold the door with their own strength, and the steel cable is just the safety to the guys who could have done it without the cable once the door got started part-way up by the winch.

http://s27.postimg.org/n5wvzujyb/IMG_6285.jpg

As you can see, the bolt did not straighten out when the door was in place.

http://s24.postimg.org/jm0xr0yqt/IMG_6302_2.jpg

And it is obvious why - the guide tube that holds the bolt was welded in crooked. I send these photos to Doug, and he was dismissive. He said that the plungers were supposed to be at an angle because they work better than when straight.

I could see that if they were all at the same angle, but they were pointing in all different directions, which is clearly just poor craftsmanship.

I carefully measured all of the bolt angles, and this is what I came up with:

-0.5, 2.5, 1.1, 0.8, 2.2, -1.5, 4.0, and 0.5 degrees.

Normal manufacturing tolerances are +- 0.5 degrees, and honestly, even if they were +- 1.0 degree - heck even +- 2.0 degrees, I would not have complained.

But one bolt going 1.5 degrees inward right above another one that is going 4.0 degrees outward is a 5.5 degree spread, which is terrible. My thought was that if I bought a $399 Chinese-made gun safe, and the work was this sloppy, even that would be returned. Really at any price point there are reasonable standards that someone should maintain just to be in business as a professional fabricator.

http://s10.postimg.org/x4abef1h5/IMG_6313.jpg

http://s7.postimg.org/bqeos268b/IMG_6314.jpg

And I can see how that happened. The guy who drilled the holes in the frame made one 1/8 inch farther from the door-stop than the bolt next to it. Normal tolerances are +- 0.005 inches, so this was about 25 times out of spec. Again, if this were, say, +- 0.020, I would not have mentioned it - but an eighth of an inch off is too much for this kind of thing. The next guy had to cock the bolts at angles to make them go into the frame holes.

I sent these findings to Doug, and he said that all of his doors are done by hand, and never the same. I can understand custom work and how one door is different from the next, but the bolts on one door should all be pointed in the same direction as the other bolts.

I then also noticed that he accidentally overcharged me by $415, but after a lot of back and forth emails and me making it more and more clear of the mistake, he finally agreed, apologized, and send me a check for that difference.

We went back and forth many times on the bolt issue, and I asked if he could hire someone to repair it in place, because I was concerned about my slate floor getting cracked and being without a door, and he declined. He offered to have a truck pick it up if I got my friends to uninstall it and track their hours, but he didn't mention how I would get a replacement re-installed - so I knew it would cost me money an friends. I couldn't ask my friends relive that two more times, even for pay.

Since I knew that removing the door, shipping it, repairing it, shipping it back, and re-istalling it would cost him about $3000, I thought about if he could just compensate me for this so that I could hire someone to fix it on my own, or live with it.

In coming up with a discount for this kind of blemish, I thought about how much of a discount I would want if he had sent me those photos that I asked for in advance, and discovered the problem then. Or even if it was not caught then, if when I first asked about the crooked bolts when the door had not yet been unpacked and installed - and he hadn't advised me to install it anyway, how much off I would want to accept to keep it.

A 25% discount on a $5000 door is $1250, so that seemed fair - not to mention it would be less than 1/2 the cost to him of handling a full replacement - so it would help him out also. Even so, I decided to ask for $1000. He declined, and said that there were guys who happily accepted $200 from him in the past for scratches on stainless.

I countered with $800 because I could hire someone to fix it, and possibly get it done for that amount with some risk and effort. I told him I would assume all risk, or he could arrange for paying someone to fix it in-place, and he could assume the risk.

I spoke to a welder and he said that he can cut out the three worst guide tubes, weld in new ones, enlarge the bolt holes, weld in steel to remake the holes round, sand down the welds, fill in any surface defects with Bondo, and then mask off the room in plastic, and paint over the repaired areas with matching paint. I asked about the welding damaging the stainless or the other paint, and he said he can mitigate that with dry ice.

I presented that $800 figure to Doug, and he declined, and offered $300, or said he will send guys to pick up the door and give me a full refund.

The offer of a refund, while theoretically nice, is impractical because of all of the labor involved at this point. I would have to hire people to install the next one, so that alone would actually cost me $1000 to $2000, not to mention not having a door for another 14 weeks.

Any thoughts on what to do? Maybe just take the $300, live with knowing that I can't repair it for that (even a plumber charges more than that for something easy and routine), and be more careful to use a company like Brown Safe, American Security / Amsec, Fort Knox, Browning, Sturdy, National Security, Liberty Safe, or Graffunder next time?

http://s13.postimg.org/6tbenbn7b/IMG_2983.jpg

WillBrink
01-14-15, 13:49
Any thoughts on what to do? Maybe just take the $300, live with knowing that I can't repair it for that (even a plumber charges more than that for something easy and routine), and be more careful to use a company like Brown Safe, American Security / Amsec, Fort Knox, Browning, Sturdy, National Security, Liberty Safe, or Graffunder next time?

http://s13.postimg.org/6tbenbn7b/IMG_2983.jpg

If you do get your $$$ back as you should, that's an easy choice. AMSEC. They have more experience making commercial grade safes and related than the others combined. See:

http://www.amsecusa.com/home-security/vault-doors/

Good luck!

rushca01
01-14-15, 13:53
Sorry to hear about your woes, it's frusturating when someone doesn't stand behind their work. Let them know you will share your experience with others within the industry. The owners replies are bull, plain and simple.

Second, if that's the wine room I want to see the gun room....

rushca01
01-14-15, 13:56
To me, that's an easy choice. AMSEC. They have more experience making commercial grade safes and related than the others combined. See:

http://www.amsecusa.com/home-security/vault-doors/

Good luck!

rsilvers could try listing the door on the EE..just make sure you state buyer needs to add 3% for PayPal and sniping is on the buyer....I kid I kid. :cool:

JoshNC
01-14-15, 15:21
Robert, beautiful wine cellar! You should get in touch with Frank at Zykan Safe and Vault. His email is sales (at) zykansafe (dot) com. I believe he does a number of high end vault door installations and could probably either help salvage your job or recommend someone in your area who can.

GH41
01-14-15, 15:48
I hate to say it but this is a classic case of getting what you paid for!

SteyrAUG
01-14-15, 15:49
That is an impressive wine room.

My hope is that one day I relocate to a house with a basement (won't be in FL) and I can do a similar safe room for my gun collection. But your experience with the manufacturer would probably give me an aneurism.

rjacobs
01-14-15, 16:02
I would tell him come get your POS door, its in my basement.

While I understand the suck factor of not having a door for a while longer, everything wrong with that door will ALWAYS bug you and eventually you will have it replaced and be out the 5k for the first door because by then it will be to late to have the original builder do anything about it.

PA PATRIOT
01-14-15, 16:03
If he sent you a poorly constructed (Defective) safe door I would file a claim with the credit card company you used to order the door with. If he challenged the claim I would also include the full install costs as part of the damages. If he insists on giving you a full refund then have him on his dime send a professional crew to remove the door and ship it back to him. Now most if not all retailers don't wish to be involved in such dealings and your prior $1000.00 discount offer does not look so bad and he most likely bite on it.

SteyrAUG
01-14-15, 17:19
If he sent you a poorly constructed (Defective) safe door I would file a claim with the credit card company you used to order the door with. If he challenged the claim I would also include the full install costs as part of the damages. If he insists on giving you a full refund then have him on his dime send a professional crew to remove the door and ship it back to him. Now most if not all retailers don't wish to be involved in such dealings and your prior $1000.00 discount offer does not look so bad and he most likely bite on it.

But before you do that, I'd make sure safe doors come in standard sizes. A better quality replacement needs to fit in the opening you created. I suspect that "custom door" might be "custom sized" and maybe even "custom squared."

ramairthree
01-14-15, 17:47
Very unimpressed with the company/workmanship.

On the other hand,
even with good workmanship why be such a cheap bastard on a high end project?
Professional installation would have been the way to go.

3 AE
01-14-15, 20:06
This vault door project should be in the "Hall of Shame" thread. Basically the owner told you to go "F" yourself. Piss poor manufacturing along with worse quality control. If he doesn't agree to take the door back AND refund your money, I'd be posting those photos and the attempt on your part to negotiate a fair price all over the internet on every forum that has to do with vaults, safes, and firearms. Thank you for mentioning the company. Definitely added to my "Never, ever, do business with." list. Hope you get some relief and satisfaction from them. :fie:

Honu
01-14-15, 20:45
get full refund get it done correct is my vote

how much is your home worth ? (not asking to post just asking to think)
a few thousand to have something done correct on this size of project is nothing in the grand scheme of things if stuff is built this crappy on the outside that shows I would be afraid of the thing not opening one day because of that crappy workmanship on the inside also !!!

bzdog
01-14-15, 21:00
The offer of a refund, while theoretically nice, is impractical because of all of the labor involved at this point.

It also sounds rather disingenuous. It sounds like he has been misleading you the whole time, trying to ensure you cross the Rubicon.

There are issues? Oh, accept delivery and we'll work them out. The whole business about them straightening out? Um, I can't get my head around how that'd happen. And if it can't happen his statement that they do that is undeniably BS.

He's bluffing. I bet if you told him to come get his POS door, he'll renig.

I wouldn't hire someone to fix it. I'd say either have him come get it and get a good door or lump it (assuming the door actually works).

-john

themonk
01-14-15, 21:16
get full refund get it done correct is my vote

how much is your home worth ? (not asking to post just asking to think)
a few thousand to have something done correct on this size of project is nothing in the grand scheme of things if stuff is built this crappy on the outside that shows I would be afraid of the thing not opening one day because of that crappy workmanship on the inside also !!!

I agree with this. He deserves the pain of picking it up and giving you a full refund. Ridiculous he would not work with you on the issue!

MorphCross
01-14-15, 21:20
So much fail on the manufacturers part. This is why it's always best to inspect before you sign the bill of lading from the shipper. That way if you find missing components, problems with construction, or shipping damage you can tell the shipper to return to sender. I know that's a serious pain in the ass with 1500 lbs. items but it really is the only way to protect yourself from this kind of Mickey mouse bs.

At the very least if you are able to list these issues on the B.O.L. you have recourse to prove to your card company that you did your due diligence so they can do a charge back against the manufacturer.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-14-15, 22:14
Tell him to pick the POS up and get a refund. I would file a claim with the CC company if he won't do it at his expense. It's not your fault his craftsmanship is that bad and he left items off the order because he "forgot".

That is way to expensive to settle.

rsilvers
01-15-15, 20:01
Thank you.

I am happy with the door itself. I was just wondering if I was being reasonable to consider that bolt a blemish. I wanted was a credit for that, and not a refund. I asked him again today and he said yes.

Here is the door. Everyone who has seen it in person has been impressed by it - especially the one inch thick face. I am really enjoying the dial combination lock.

http://s15.postimg.org/hsjp2y3e3/IMG_6442.jpg

themonk
01-15-15, 20:04
Robert, I think the real question is, what does your gun room look like?

LoveAR
01-15-15, 20:14
Thank you.

I am happy with the door itself. I was just wondering if I was being reasonable to consider that bolt a blemish. I wanted was a credit for that, and not a refund. I asked him again today and he said yes.

Here is the door. Everyone who has seen it in person has been impressed by it - especially the one inch thick face. I am really enjoying the dial combination lock.

http://s15.postimg.org/hsjp2y3e3/IMG_6442.jpg

Of course you were. That was very poor craftsmanship.

rsilvers
01-15-15, 20:30
On the wall you can see the temp alarm sensor, the humidity alarm sensor, the Music controller, and the Honeywell controls for temp and humidity.

http://s23.postimg.org/6t01zjsy3/IMG_6440_s.jpg

ace4059
01-15-15, 22:22
Hopefully you get everything straightened out with that company.
Thanks for the info. I am in the planning stages of a vault/tornado shelter and good to know about this company's piss poor service and sorry quality of work.

LoveAR
01-15-15, 22:38
On the wall you can see the temp alarm sensor, the humidity alarm sensor, the Music controller, and the Honeywell controls for temp and humidity.

http://s23.postimg.org/6t01zjsy3/IMG_6440_s.jpg

Wait...now the door is different.

oops... different view. My bad.

Jer
01-15-15, 23:02
Wait...now the door is different.

oops... different view. My bad.

Gun room.

rsilvers
01-16-15, 07:38
That is just the inside view.