PDA

View Full Version : Left handed shooter with a right action Rem 700?

TacDoc
07-01-08, 08:13
Gents,

Im south paw and left dominant eye shooter. I want to enter the long range word with a Remington 700 to practice F Class Shooting.

I have a friend who used to be an instructor in the 2nd Marine Division Marksmanship Training Unit in Camp Lejeune, NC. He assured me as a fact that the USMC 2112 DID NOT build left handed M40's, but there ARE left handed Marine Snipers who shot as fast/accurate as any right handed snipers.

Ive used several .22LR bolt action rifles in the past, but in order to load a fresh round I have to break the cheek weld and sight picture.

So, is it really an issue being left handed and operating a right bolt action rifle?

Finding a left handed 700P really IS an issue...

Thanks for any help/advise.

Robb Jensen
07-01-08, 08:17
Left handed shooters never have to remove their firing grip to cycle the bolt, many prefer this.

TacDoc
07-01-08, 09:29
Left handed shooters never have to remove their firing grip to cycle the bolt, many prefer this.

I do prefer this in my AK's, but have not though of it as in a bolt action... thanks!

Dave L.
07-01-08, 12:10
I'm a lefty- and I purposely paid around 5K for GAP to build me a RH M700.
In my line of work I'll never encounter a LH bolt gun period. All the best accessories are made for RH guns. It's easy for a lefty to operate the weapon- I like being able to see in the chamber with little body movement or movement of the weapon.
The only awkward thing about shooting LH with a RH bolt gun is standing, kneeling, and sitting; you will have to support the weapon (which is heavy) with your left hand while your right hand operates the bolt...while staying on target.
Takes practice but it's possible to be just as fast.
You will be fine with a RH gun.

Spade
07-01-08, 13:00
Good info. I am right handed but left eye dominant. I have a Savage left handed .270 that I love. I also have a RH .22 bolt action that I shoot fairly well but the weapon doesn't weigh that much so it is easier to shoot off handed. I have been looking at the Rem. 700 myself but was relectant as well. I have noticed that Savage make several left handed rifles. Yeah I know it's not a Rem. & maybe you wont have all the cool toys to add to it. But really what do you need besides a scope & a bipod?

DBautista
07-01-08, 13:16

This is true.

Shooting prone or on a bench is such a pleasure. I am a lefty as well and have right handed B/A rifles.

You would think it should be the other way around, a lefty B/A for right handed shooters.

Renegade
07-01-08, 13:21
Years of gun usage have me thinking many "right-handed" guns are actually better designed for left-handed shooters. R700 Bolt guns being one of them. As gotm4 states, since your trigger hand never leaves the grip, you can run the bolt faster and get back on the trigger faster than any right-handed person could ever dream of, all while you maintain sight picture.

I am surprised right-handed folks do not buy left-handed R700s....

ZDL
07-01-08, 13:45
Not a 700p but still a 700

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103269778

UVvis
07-01-08, 15:57
As a left eye dominant shooter, lefty long gun shooter that is actually right handed...

Righty actions are ideal from prone with bipod, or from a bench.

For a hunting bolt gun, left hand action is easier to get a follow up shot with off hand, as you keep control of the gun. Lefty actions are easier if you are shooting in a jacket and slung up in most all positions, as you have to manipulate less 'stuff' to get to the bolt.

Same as a right side ejection port on a shotgun is easier to deal with as a lefty. At least to me.

CarlosDJackal
07-01-08, 17:44
I read an article in some LE magazine a couple of years ago that advocates LH shooters using RH bolt guns and visa-versa for the reasons already posted.

The bottom line is if you can make the hits shooting the gun while you are upside-down and hanging by your big toe; it really doesn't matter who or what the gun is designed for. JM2CW.

Lawdog537
07-01-08, 21:52
When I was a sniper on our SWAT team, I started with a right hand 700P and eventually built a LH 700 using the varmiter action that came out several years back. My dad then got a RH 700P and I shot both for awhile. Looking back now, I would stick with the RH gun due to being faster in working the action as mentioned above. Also, if you ever need to get rid of the gun to fund other projects, it is WAY easier to sell/trade a RH gun. Just sayin'.....................

TacDoc
07-02-08, 05:54
I'm a lefty- and I purposely paid around 5K for GAP to build me a RH M700.
In my line of work I'll never encounter a LH bolt gun period. All the best accessories are made for RH guns. It's easy for a lefty to operate the weapon- I like being able to see in the chamber with little body movement or movement of the weapon.
The only awkward thing about shooting LH with a RH bolt gun is standing, kneeling, and sitting; you will have to support the weapon (which is heavy) with your left hand while your right hand operates the bolt...while staying on target.
Takes practice but it's possible to be just as fast.
You will be fine with a RH gun.

I already placed my order with George at GAP. I went with the RH action M40A3. Now the wors part... the wait :(

Thank you guys for your replies.

TDrift
07-16-08, 09:11
Does Remington 700 CDL make some left hand models?

maximus83
08-06-08, 19:19
Notwithstanding the several good reasons for trying a righty action as a LH shooter, for me personally, as a true LH, left-eye dominant shooter, I still want a LH action when I can get one. Currently all my bolt guns are LH actions. If you've done a lot of firing with a "wrong-handed" action, especially in cases when you have to single-load (it's a rule at my current range), it just gets awkward. I end up wanting the port to be on 'my' side of the gun, where my face is, where my dominant hand is, and and where I can see to feed in another round easily. Anyway, I do understand some of the reasons why an opposite-hand action might be preferable for some, but after having tried many RH actions, I always find myself still preferring and performing better with LH.