PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with ftes

mplecha
01-15-15, 15:58
i recently put together an sbr. I wouldn't say I built it as I just bought a bravo 11.5 upper with the bcg and put it on an sbr lower with an h2 buffer. The first 300 or so rounds were flawless. I took it to an indoor range that's fairly picky about allowed ammo, so I shot 193 through it. Today I took it to an outdoor range with some wolf steel cased 223. I had almost constant ftes. The rifle would function fine and then occasionally but somewhat frequently try to feed another round into the chamber before extracting the spent case. I didn't take another rifle with me, but the mags I know to be good. I had a magazine of 193 with me and it still fired those flawlessly.

Why would the rifle malfunction with the lower powered steel cased rounds only? What could cause this? My other rifle has never even hiccuped with anything. I feel a rifle that won't shoot steel has a problem. Should I look at the extractor? I got some go pro footage, but it doesn't show much. It looks like the bolt is pushed back after firing, but the spent case just doesn't go with it. Thanks guys.

MegademiC
01-15-15, 16:01
An h1 or carbine buffer will probably fix it.

Wolf just doesn't have enough juice. Especially in the cold.

The rifle is gas powered and needs enough pressure to cycle the action fully. Apparently that ammo doesn't provide enough pressure to work with your setup 100%.

BufordTJustice
01-15-15, 16:04
Search function is your friend. Steel case ammo has two pressure peaks. A guns inability to run steel cased ammo is not an indicator of an unreliable gun.

It's also generally weak stuff compared to even commercial brass cased .223 pressure practice ammo.....much less true 5.56 pressure ammo.

mplecha
01-15-15, 17:11
Fair enough. I suppose I'll leave the cheap stuff To the middy. Thanks guys.

BufordTJustice
01-15-15, 18:28
Fair enough. I suppose I'll leave the cheap stuff To the middy. Thanks guys.
Try it again after about a thousand rounds of the good stuff. You might be surprised.