PDA

View Full Version : how "bad" are those cheap lee progressive presses...

skyugo
07-01-08, 11:38
i'm currently rocking out a lee single stage "classic" press.
takes me like 3 hours to make 100 rounds. :mad:

for 160 bucks i can get lee's basic progressive set complete with carbide dies.

is it gonna break?

does anybody have one?

5pins
07-01-08, 12:39
Save your money and get a Dillon. It will be cheaper then getting a Dillon after you see what a POS your Lee is. I had one years ago for a short time but went back to a single stage until I could afford a 550. The biggest problem was their priming system. The case feed system was nothing to sing home about either.

Kurt Reifert
07-01-08, 14:24
The Hornady progressive lock n load is also a good way to go.

eightmillimeter
07-01-08, 16:39
If you want to save money and still have quality get one of the Lee turret presses and an additional turret plate for each caliber you want to reload. Even though not as fast as a progressive, you will be light years ahead of where you are now without spending a ton. If you really want to go progressive the Dillon takes the cake, just save your money and avoid the headaches.

zxd9
07-01-08, 21:03
I have the Lee Pro 1000 and while it's not perfect it was cheap and I have loaded about 9000 rounds (mostly 9mm, with some .38 and .223) and am happy with it. The bullet feeder is no good don't even bother. Haven't had problems using the case feeder with 9mm. The primer system can be picky once in a while but if you keep it full of primers, that takes care of most of the problems I've had.

If you've got the money to spend on a Dillon then get one, otherwise save some cash and learn to deal with a few minor problems now and then.

signal4l
07-01-08, 22:51
I bought a Lee progresive press when I was a poor college student. Over the years I bought 2 more rather than purchaing the parts to convert to other calibers. I screwed with those presses for far too long. The plastic parts (powder supply, primer feed) were easy to break if I wasnt careful. I didnt have very good result with the taper crimp.

I sold the Lee stuff and bought a Dillon Square Deal about 6 or 7 years ago . Wish I had done so sooner.

Buy the blue press. You get what you pay for .

skyugo
07-02-08, 23:23
alright fug it..
i'll get the dillon. someday

or maybe the hornady press.
every other thing i've used made by hornady has impressed me....

markm
07-03-08, 08:49
You want a real kick in the nuts?

ArchAngel has a unopenned Dillon 550 sitting in his garage. It's just been sitting in the box for a long time. He was toying with returning it. :eek:

skyugo
07-03-08, 10:06
You want a real kick in the nuts?

ArchAngel has a unopenned Dillon 550 sitting in his garage. It's just been sitting in the box for a long time. He was toying with returning it. :eek:

aah!
i'd offer to buy it.. but all my funding is going into moving to gun-friendly CO. new yorkistan has taken enough of my freedom and tax dollars for this lifetime. :mad:

Tennvol12345
07-03-08, 10:33
I cracked a classic turret straight down the base loading 45. Fixed it with JB weld and now only use it to resize .223.

Get a 550. Save yourself time and frustration.

Tokarev
07-03-08, 21:12
Skip the 550. Manual indexing is a pain in the a$$ and you'll be happier with a 650 or a Lock-N-Load.

I've owned both the L-N-L and the 650 and I recommend the Hornady. It is the better press for the money. Equally good customer service and warranty. Fantastically strong design that's quick to take apart for cleaning, caliber changes, etc. Shell plates are cheaper and you can also get all the "cool" upgrades to the Hornady like a case feeder, bullet feeder, etc just like the Dillon.

Happy 4th!!!

LonghunterCO
07-03-08, 22:06
aah!
i'd offer to buy it.. but all my funding is going into moving to gun-friendly CO. new yorkistan has taken enough of my freedom and tax dollars for this lifetime. :mad:

Any guy that reloads is welcome here.:D

skyugo
07-03-08, 23:49
Any guy that reloads is welcome here.:D

what part of CO are ya in? i'm thinking fort collins or maybe one of the denver suburbs. :)
you don't happen to know anybody who needs a decent autocad or solidworks guy do ya? ;)

toddackerman
07-04-08, 04:42
Skip the 550. Manual indexing is a pain in the a$$ and you'll be happier with a 650 or a Lock-N-Load.

I've owned both the L-N-L and the 650 and I recommend the Hornady. It is the better press for the money. Equally good customer service and warranty. Fantastically strong design that's quick to take apart for cleaning, caliber changes, etc. Shell plates are cheaper and you can also get all the "cool" upgrades to the Hornady like a case feeder, bullet feeder, etc just like the Dillon.

Happy 4th!!!

I have a Dillon 550 and the manual indexing is not a PITA. It's just a part of the cycle that becomes second nature. Sure the 650 is nicer, but the price isn't. The Dillon quality and "no BS" customer service is undisputed and well know by those who know.

Kurt Reifert
07-05-08, 08:01
I have two 650s and one 550 and I prefer to load .223 on the 550.
I use the 650s for straight wall cartridges.
The 550 is Dillons most popular press for reasons beyond the price.
Auto-indexing does have some drawbacks

williejc
07-09-08, 23:21
Had one, used it, loaded some good ammo but went nuts doing it, and threw it away along with all parts and attachments. I wish that I had never seen one.

Williejc