PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 series, light strikes

foxtrotx1
01-16-15, 11:56
I've got 3.5-4k down the pipe of my M9, accompanied by lots and lots of dry firing.

Problem: Light strikes.

Mainspring: D

Ammo: Geco, Wolf

Frequency: every 2 mags on avg.

I realize these two brands use harder primers, however this is a recent occurrence.

Firing pin tip does not look chipped.

My question: Could this be gunk in the channel? Or may I have a broken pin? Or possibly my D spring is nearing the end of it's life?

CAVDOC
01-16-15, 12:26
Switch ammo and use stock mainspring.

Talon167
01-16-15, 12:38
New hammer spring is where I'd start. Put the OEM one back in and see what happens.

foxtrotx1
01-16-15, 14:28
Ill try and find my OEM mainspring. I should mention, this is happening more frequently in DA mode. Lots of users have no issue with the D spring, this is puzzling.

Edit: i'm going to order a new D spring and change back to OEM till it gets here. I bet the D spring is wearing out.

RAM Engineer
01-16-15, 15:00
That's not a lot of rounds for a hammer spring. I'm not sure what MOST folks get out of a hammer spring, but it does seem low.

Sam
01-16-15, 15:00
. I bet the D spring is wearing out.

ding ding ding. I think so too.

When I was shooting a lot with the Beretta, I used a 19 lbs main spring (hammer spring) for the 1911 instead of the D spring. The reason was I was cheap, I got more 1911 springs laying around and didn't want to buy the D spring. Anyway, the 1911 went through the excess of 4000 rounds without a misfire. I used only American made ammo though, no GECO or any European stuff.

foxtrotx1
01-17-15, 16:05
That's not a lot of rounds for a hammer spring. I'm not sure what MOST folks get out of a hammer spring, but it does seem low.

When I used to compete with the pistol I would dry fire it at least hundred times a week. That could have boosted the wear.

Bret
01-17-15, 19:02
I
Ammo: Geco, Wolf

Frequency: every 2 mags on avg.

I realize these two brands use harder primers, however this is a recent occurrence.
I can't speak for the Wolf, but I've shot a ton of Geco through many different 9mm pistols and have yet to have the first failure. I'm confident it's not the Geco.

Tomac
01-18-15, 07:38
I can't speak for the Wolf, but I've shot a ton of Geco through many different 9mm pistols and have yet to have the first failure. I'm confident it's not the Geco.

I had frequent light strikes w/GECO in my SIG P290RS' and occasional light strikes in my SIG P250's (none in my SIG P320's).
Tomac

Bret
01-18-15, 09:04
Interesting. I don't own any Sig pistols, so perhaps I'm avoiding the Sig-Geco combination.

opmike
01-18-15, 16:02
When I used to compete with the pistol I would dry fire it at least hundred times a week. That could have boosted the wear.

Cycling springs wear them out, so it absolutely was a major contributing factor.

This is one of the many reasons I like to have duplicates. I vet one for reliability, and it spends the majority of its time loaded and holstered. The other one is my training, dryfire, etc. bitch. A light strike at a local match isn't a matter of life or death.

foxtrotx1
01-18-15, 16:25
Update:

Went out today with the OEM mainspring back in the gun.

200 rounds of Wolf and Winchester mixed, No issues from DA or SA. I tried to get it to choke by shooting every shot DA for about 50 rounds. Nothing.

New trigger spring, 16lb mainspring and 13lb recoil spring on the way from Wolff Springs.

foxtrotx1
02-02-15, 11:07
Following up, put new D spring in the pistol, no issues in 100 rounds. Changed the recoil spring as well, about about an inch shorter than the new spring. Thanks for the advice guys.

jondoe297
02-02-15, 13:42
Remove the extractor and see if the firing pin spring/channel is gunked up with stuff. It's what happened to mine when it had the same issue at about the same round count.

buckpatriot
02-02-15, 21:13
Remove the extractor and see if the firing pin spring/channel is gunked up with stuff. It's what happened to mine when it had the same issue at about the same round count.

Like jondoe said, take a look at the firing pin spring/ channel to see if it is gunked up. I had light strikes with mine and that is what it was.