PDA

View Full Version : Range Report Eotech 553

kcdreamer
09-24-06, 19:38
I am in the process of equipping a Patrol Rifle for police duty. My base rifle is a new Bushmaster M4 flattop Patrol rifle model. So far my acessories are: Vickers combat sling, Surefire M500A mounted handguard replacement light with white nav lights, Daniel Defense left side sling attachment, front barrel mounted side sling attachment, Trijicon tritrium front sight blade, Badger Tactical Gen II latch, ARMS 40L BUIS which have the peep holes on the same plane, and last the Eotech 553 which is the basis for the range report.

I zeroed the rifle at 50 yrds last week and tested it with about 200 rds and it worked fine. This week I got the Eotech 553 and took it to the range. It mounted firmly with zero play when mounted and with no force required to get it on and locked in with the ARMS levers. I orginally had problems getting it zeroed as I wanted it to co-witness with my BUIS. My son insisted that that would not work with the raised mount. I eventually listened to him and got it zeroed in with the 65 moa circle sitting about 1/4 inch above the front sight (Guessing as I didn't think about writing this until now). I'm not sure that it is not in fact co-witnessed however as when I look through my BUIS the 65 moa circle is exactly centered in it, outlining the peep hole completely. When I look through the Eotech without the rear BUIS it seems to rest slightly above the front sight, but this my just be my cheek weld. I almost wish I had a fold down front sight now as it might be less distracting. I obviouslyly need to work on understanding this better which as I practice with it will come about I am sure. It is not authorized for carry at work yet, I just wanted to get started practicing with it to learn the ins and outs. I used an M16 but that was 24 years ago and we didn't have this type of gear. I have to attend a training class when it is authorized as well and need to be ready for that.

I tried flipping the BUIS up and down several times and it kept its zero. I ran out of time to try removing the 553 and seeing if it kept its zero. I will do that evertually and let you know how it works. The mounting options on the flatop are limited. With the ARMS 40L on the very back you only have one location to mount the 553 on the rail due to space if you want the ARMS levers to have a full grab on the rail front and back. You can move it slightly foward one slot but that will cause the front ARMS lever to only have half of the front lever engaging the rail. I moved it back to the location where it got a full engagment with the rail. It was fine anyway as the eye relief was just right for me and space between the back control panel of the 553 and the front of the Arms 40L was enought to easily work the controls and I have thick fingers. So far I am very pleased with all the items. I found that accurancy with the 553 and the BUIS were the same for bench rest shooting. I didn't try any other shooting this trip, but will now that it is zeroed. Ammo used was Wolf 55 gr FMJ last week and British 62 gr FMJ. Both worked with no problems.

Boom
09-24-06, 20:05
Thank you for your report. I find you could not zero at 50 yards to be suspect. I have never had a problem zeroing any of my EOs sitting on LaRue. I wonder if you have a problem with that optic. What was the problem you could not overcome?

BTW nice rifle setup.

kcdreamer
09-24-06, 20:35
Actually I did zero it at 50 yrds, I think that I wanted it to be sitting right on top of my iron front sight without doing anything right out of box. Obviously too much to expect. It was pretty much on as far as windage but was near the bottom of the front post and I could not seem to get it up where I wanted it at first. I eventually did. I probably failed to take into account that it needed more clicks than I was giving it. My understanding of co-witness is also not that great. I was hitting right on at 50 yrds by the time I wrapped up with BUIS or Eotech. Now that I am home it appears that they really are co-witnessed or seem to be. I think I will need another range trip to understand how I am sighting them in. It is a case of it is working but my understanding is lagging on how I am doing it.

Boom
09-24-06, 21:05
Good deal sounds like you worked it out. Just keep hitting the range as they say practice makes perfect. :)

C4IGrant
09-26-06, 08:43
Thank you for your report. I find you could not zero at 50 yards to be suspect. I have never had a problem zeroing any of my EOs sitting on LaRue. I wonder if you have a problem with that optic. What was the problem you could not overcome?

BTW nice rifle setup.

I just zeroed my 553 at 50yds. No problems.

C4