PDA

View Full Version : Holster system for extremely thin waist?

bluebird
01-17-15, 11:39
Hi all,

I'm a 130 lb, 5'9 male who has an EXTREMELY small and THIN waist (26" waist, 5 inches thick if you look from the side). As a result, I have an extremely hard time trying to find the right carry system for a Glock 19 Gen 4.

I tried an Incog IWB holster at 5 o'clock and the result is simply pain in the small of the back for days (I have nothing but bones in the back). I also tried to make my first OWB holster at home last night and what I found out was I literally I have to bend the entire holster at 90 degrees to get it to fit [not really] close to my hip for a 3 o'clock carry. Pic below is a crappy G19 OWB holster for reference.

I think the last thing for me to try is a shoulder holster but I would much prefer a belt holster if at all possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

P.S. No eating 3 burgers a day would not do it. I just have skinny genes.

dmaxfireman
01-17-15, 12:52
Have you tried appendix carry? Crossbreed super tuck at 1oclock would be a good try, having such little waistline to conceal "xyz" you might have to step down to a g26 to keep the grip from protruding and depending on your climate / clothing.

Kowalski
01-17-15, 13:47
A Comp Tac CTAC might be worth a look.

Bayern
01-17-15, 13:57
Have you thought about a custom made holster? Lots of folks that make holsters will do custom work.

bluebird
01-17-15, 14:51
Have you thought about a custom made holster? Lots of folks that make holsters will do custom work.

I have but I'm trying to at least figure out the "type" of carry I should be doing with my physical shape.

DWood
01-17-15, 15:07
X Concealment makes the most compact OWB holster I have used. Call them.

jmcrawf1
01-17-15, 15:09
The new Raven Eidolon with the grip tuck feature looks promising for you skinny guys.

montrala
01-17-15, 15:48
Bluebird, I woul love to have your problem ;)

I suggest trying AIWB carry. It generally works better for those in shape, without well developed beer muscle, that pushes pistol outside.

haunas
01-17-15, 17:14
Try leather or horsehide. I love kramers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defaultmp3
01-17-15, 17:37
Damn, someone skinnier than me.

I appendix carry with a slightly modified RCS Phantom. Appendix allows me to get away with carrying a P30LS with +5 magazine extensions, RMR'd slide, and X400U. I am 5'8", 140 lbs, with a size 28 waist. I typically wear size small t-shirts and slim fit jeans (size 30 waist, to allow for all that crap IWB).

Uni-Vibe
01-17-15, 17:43
Perhaps ask Molly Truong, the girl in my avatar?

Failure2Stop
01-17-15, 20:00
http://burgerdays.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/vertigoburgerforcheeseburgerday.jpg

gtmtnbiker98
01-17-15, 20:25
http://burgerdays.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/vertigoburgerforcheeseburgerday.jpg
Yeah, no shit!

Failure2Stop
01-17-15, 20:27
Honestly, a good AIWB is probably going to serve best.

Voodoo_Man
01-17-15, 20:57

Beat me to it.

Start drinkin shakes and gaining weight.

You can get yourself a thin taco style holster - spartan village, norcal kydex, coffman concealment, even phlster - all pretty good thin as possible holsters.

ffemt
01-18-15, 03:33
AIWB carry with a Cook's iwb holster with adjustable cant. Also look up Blackpoint Tactical Leather Wing holster, it seems to mold better around my hip due to the leather sides where the clips are attached (I'm a 30" waist and cc a G19).

If to no avail you could always try a smaller gun like an XDs or Shield. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
01-18-15, 08:41
Why not try a different gun? G19s are big, even for me, and I'm bigger than you are. Try a single stack Walther PPS or something, if buying a different gun is an option.

PatrioticDisorder
01-18-15, 08:56
The thinner you are the easier it is to conceal a handgun.

Bluto
01-18-15, 09:42
How about a dep concealment elastic waistband type holster: http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Concealed-Carry-Handgun-Holster/dp/B007QG6ZGE

Not the place I would carry a chambered Glock, but it certainly is concealed...

SpeedRacer
01-18-15, 11:02
I have a pretty skinny waste as well, not quite 26" but I've still encountered the same issue ti an extent. I flat out can't carry around 3:00. I managed for years with a Comptac MTAC at around 5:00 (gun itself, much further around my back than your pic) and that worked well. Currently switched to an OTG appendix and that works as well. Bottom line is you need to get the gun off your hip, either in front or behind.

walkin' trails
01-18-15, 12:40
I also recommend you take a look at the Crossbreed Supertuck. I'm not that skinny anymore, but the Supertuck does seem to spread out the mass pretty well and conform to the curve. For me, they really don't print.

DWood
01-18-15, 13:09
Here is my G19 in an X Concealment and Sawyer Concealment. The XC has unique, integral belt loops and takes up far less room on the belt than designs with more standard belt loops. It is 4 3/4" edge to edge VS 6 1/2". It also holds the gun very close to the body.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/20150118_135931_zps3af67855.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/20150118_135953_zps451e1d3c.jpg

MegademiC
01-18-15, 14:05
Op, get the unloaded gun and a mirror and hold it against u r waist and move it around until u can find a place it lays flat.

I Aiwb. With tight shirts I have to place the gun at nearly 12:00 with heavy cant, but I can hide an m&p fs like this.

Your shape may dictate a different location.

ritepath
01-18-15, 16:43

Find a version of this little holster. Throw away the dumb clip and thread it on your belt OWB or between the belt and pants. You'll love it, no gun stuffed in your pants, no buying pants that don't fit. Wear an untucked tee and you'll be able to conceal most anything.

I do love those X concealments....thanks for the tip. I'd love one of those for my CZ and P220.

Trajan
01-18-15, 20:34
The thinner you are the easier it is to conceal a handgun.

How's that?

PatrioticDisorder
01-18-15, 21:03
How's that?

Shirts fit looser around the waist. My weight drifts between 188-225 (I'm 5'11 1/2"), when I'm lean at 188lbs (6% bodyfat) I can easily conceal a full size M&P with a button up & with a large t-shirt easily conceal an M&P compact. When I'm heavier like I am now, M&P shield is the best I can conceal unless I totally changed my attire. It helps being lean and muscular, at least for me. Being bulky hinders concealed carry.

Enoch
01-18-15, 21:16
Concealed carry is a challenge for all of us, regardless of shape or size. It often comes down to compromise... what do you want to carry, how often, with what clothes, etc etc.

I've come to find appendix carry with my S&W 442 using a remora or a smartcarry holster as a combination that is all day every day. I still don't find this ideal but I spent some time with a gun always in the car/house but not always on me and I wanted to rectify that and this combination has been an immediate solution.

I am almost always able to carry in any outfit, dress or casual with the above combination. I'm planning on adding a single stack auto in the near future to replace the 442, and we'll see how that goes, but carrying as often as possible is my goal, even if that means a compromise of weapon choice.

Trajan
01-19-15, 15:47
Shirts fit looser around the waist. My weight drifts between 188-225 (I'm 5'11 1/2"), when I'm lean at 188lbs (6% bodyfat) I can easily conceal a full size M&P with a button up & with a large t-shirt easily conceal an M&P compact. When I'm heavier like I am now, M&P shield is the best I can conceal unless I totally changed my attire. It helps being lean and muscular, at least for me. Being bulky hinders concealed carry.

We're the same size, but you have about 10 pounds on me. I can confirm with your statements.

I was thinking you were about to say you could conceal a fullsize in a medium T-shirt.

I can conceal a G19 easily in my Dark Star Gear AIWB. Prints with the vickers basepads, but I recently moved away from those.

Kokopelli
01-24-15, 20:26
Attire and lifestyle will dictate what and how you carry. A tee shirt and jeans... Hahahahahahaha

Uni-Vibe
01-24-15, 20:38
Attire and lifestyle will dictate what and how you carry. A tee shirt and jeans... Hahahahahahaha

I threw away the jeans and got what they call "cargo pants." Now I can carry a cell phone, keys and a pocket nine in comfort and concealment. Plus they are more comfortable than denim pants.

Kokopelli
01-24-15, 22:38
Hahahahaah.. It comes to us all. 5.11 cargo pants and Sonoran Tactical shirts are my daily attire these days. It does make carrying a pistol very easy. I always carry OWB and often sometimes carry a 1911 or G21.. I've always got a hoodie nearby as well..

I threw away the jeans and got what they call "cargo pants." Now I can carry a cell phone, keys and a pocket nine in comfort and concealment. Plus they are more comfortable than denim pants.

R0CKETMAN
01-25-15, 10:12
Order a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. The attachments are close together which is what you need. Brownells occasionally has them in stock. Suggest individual mag holders.

Hayseed
01-25-15, 19:36
I'm a skinny guy, i feel your pain. Tried a lot of holsters, tried strongside hip for a while in a bladetech iwb, and finally my buddy convinced me into a CCC Shaggy aiwb. Won't look back, conceals way better. I'd try one out.

MegademiC
01-25-15, 21:33

I don't get it. I agree with your first statement, but don't understand about whats funny about jeans and a t-shirt.

Trajan
01-26-15, 07:41
I don't get it. I agree with your first statement, but don't understand about whats funny about jeans and a t-shirt.
He's probably one of those weird dudes that wears cargo pants everyday. Everyone knows he has a gun probably.

First rule of CCW: Don't wear "tactical clothing". Everyone knows you have a gun, and you look terrible.

TheLefty
01-26-15, 18:57
I'm a small/thin guy as well, so I understand. I'm 5'6" and usually between 130-135 pounds (less if I miss a meal or two, haha, no, seriously). I wear jeans with a 28" waist, and I usually still have a little room left to spare (29" jeans when carrying). I'm left handed, so I usually carry around the 8:00 position. My usual carry rotation consists of a Glock 26 and a Walther PPS. The 26 conceals much better for me than the 19, since the grip is what prints the most due to me being so thin (front to back, especially). The extra thinness of the PPS is even better.

People think it's automatically easier to carry when you're skinny, and in some cases that's true, but it depends on what you wear. I could conceal anything if I wore shirts too big for my size or "tactical" type shirts that I don't care for.

I can't normally carry IWB wearing a small t-shirt, especially with the trend of slim-fit crap, but I can usually pull it off with a medium (or something less form fitting like a small-sized button-down shirt or polo).

I've only tried a few holsters, but it's pretty much trial and error. Unfortunately, that can get costly.

I tried the Crossbreed Supertuck, and didn't care for it. While the leather will conform to most people's waistlines, I'm too thin for it to really mold to mine. Instead, it just bent the outer edges of the leather in where it was joined to the kydex. Picture an unused staple. That's what it was shaped like after I'd worn it a while. Plus, I felt like the leather backing caused the holster to move around a lot vertically.

I didn't want 100% kydex, since I figured that would be too rigid and, of course, wouldn't have the ability to conform to my small waist.

That led me to the Comp-Tac CTAC that Kowalski mentioned earlier in the thread. It's the best of both worlds for me. The kydex is rigid, but the belt clips are attached to leather "wings" that better conform to my waistline. It's also a little thinner overall than some other holster designs that have the belt clips attached directly to the holster body. Every little bit counts when you're an ectomorph. :cool:

I don't find the CTAC uncomfortable, and most of the time I don't notice it at all. I can wear it while driving, or even laying down and it's generally not an issue. It's rare that I notice any discomfort wearing it, and then it's just a matter of making a small adjustment in placement, usually.

Good luck! It's frustrating, I know, but it can be done. ;)