PDA

View Full Version : M&P safety

m4brian
01-17-15, 17:40
I was handling the Shield lately and thought about the FS MP 9 with a shield - LIKE safety. After handling a relative's MP9 with a competition kit, I'd love to have the gun with a SMALL manual safety, and replicate a 1911. The comp trigger kit makes it a bit light for carry and no safety for me. I don't like the LARGE MP45/9 safety as is. The shield safety is useable and quite positive, and maybe if enlarged slightly, it would make a very good and useful safety.

Lincoln7
01-17-15, 19:32
I found the Shield's safety to be completely unusable. Too small, difficult to manipulate, etc. I removed mine promptly and have been very happy. I've never understood people's desire for manual safeties so long as there is a trigger safety of some sort (firing pin block, trigger blade, etc). I carry my handguns in holsters which protect the trigger.

More on topic: They make the FS M&P with manual safeties. If it's too big just trim to your liking. Piece-o-cake.

m4brian
01-17-15, 20:38
FS safety is not positive at all.

Lincoln7
01-17-15, 21:40
FS safety is not positive at all.
You mean in it's 'detents'?

buckshot1220
01-17-15, 22:16
I was thinking this EXACT same thing yesterday. I have a Shield and all my other guns are Glocks (except one HK P30). I'd like to get the M&P9L (or Pro I think it may now be called) w/ 5" barrel because the new Apex Flat-Faced FSS looks like it would be great for competition, but I cannot see holstering something that light without an (unobtrusive) thumb safety. I know from my friend's M&P45 I cannot deal with that horrendous full size safety and was wondering if a Shield safety could be fitted.

buckshot1220
01-17-15, 22:18
Lincoln7- Can't speak for the OP, but the position and overall size make it a ergonomically imperfect and it completely ruins any chance of having a decent grip.

Lincoln7
01-17-15, 23:56
Lincoln7- Can't speak for the OP, but the position and overall size make it a ergonomically imperfect and it completely ruins any chance of having a decent grip.
Thanks. My only 'safety' handguns are 1911's and they are conveniently designed to shoot with your thumb resting on the safety. Perhaps this is something Randly Lee could address with a replacement reshaped, redesigned safety lever. Sharp guy.

Mysteryman
01-18-15, 00:18
Manual safeties on a firearm that already incorporates several passive safeties is a waste of time. Run a quality holster, get some training and drive on.

MM

RWH24
01-18-15, 12:17
Manual safeties on a firearm that already incorporates several passive safeties is a waste of time. Run a quality holster, get some training and drive on.

MM
I remember way back when, a LARGE Texas PD made the change over to semi auto pistols and specified approved brands. Glocks being one, Sig another, holsters were Safariland. The safety strap upon re-holstering the Glock made it's way into the trigger guard, depressing the trigger safety and sending a round down the leg. This was in the 80's IIRC. A 1911 style thumb safety would have stopped this. Holster redesign and training came along too.
Don't knock a person because he wants a thumb safety, A 1911 probably was the reason they state this.
After shooting/carrying Sig's for over 20 years, the M&P is a new training curve for me.

buckshot1220
01-18-15, 13:08

MM

Wow, such great advice and understanding here. Some here are speaking in terms of running competition triggers/weights such as the Apex Flat-faced Forward Set Sear which has little to no pre-travel. A manual thumb safety could certainly be useful with a trigger designed to mimic a S/A.

Mysteryman
01-18-15, 13:22
I remember way back when, a LARGE Texas PD made the change over to semi auto pistols and specified approved brands. Glocks being one, Sig another, holsters were Safariland. The safety strap upon re-holstering the Glock made it's way into the trigger guard, depressing the trigger safety and sending a round down the leg. This was in the 80's IIRC. A 1911 style thumb safety would have stopped this. Holster redesign and training came along too.
Don't knock a person because he wants a thumb safety, A 1911 probably was the reason they state this.
After shooting/carrying Sig's for over 20 years, the M&P is a new training curve for me.

You said it, the holster was poorly designed and is the culprit, not the firearm.

Wow, such great advice and understanding here. Some here are speaking in terms of running competition triggers/weights such as the Apex Flat-faced Forward Set Sear which has little to no pre-travel. A manual thumb safety could certainly be useful with a trigger designed to mimic a S/A.

I don't understand why people feel the need to take every gun they own and try and mould it into a 1911? If that's what you want then buy one. Competition triggers are IMO a gimmick and waste of time and money. If you know how to shoot you can shoot, if you don't you usually end up modifying sh*t like triggers to compensate for poor form. A service pistol like an M&P with coarse service/combat sights is a poor choice for a "precision/competition" gun. Regardless, any trigger mod that would lead the user to believe it is unsafe and needs a manual safety is a bad idea. Quality guns/parts and a proper holster is all that is needed.

MM

Heavy Metal
01-18-15, 13:35
IIRC, Larry Vickers once told me the trigger blade safety is simply a reverse drop safety.

buckshot1220
01-18-15, 13:51
I don't understand why people feel the need to take every gun they own and try and mould it into a 1911? If that's what you want then buy one. Competition triggers are IMO a gimmick and waste of time and money. If you know how to shoot you can shoot, if you don't you usually end up modifying sh*t like triggers to compensate for poor form. A service pistol like an M&P with coarse service/combat sights is a poor choice for a "precision/competition" gun. Regardless, any trigger mod that would lead the user to believe it is unsafe and needs a manual safety is a bad idea. Quality guns/parts and a proper holster is all that is needed.

MM

Kind of hypocritical to bash others modifying poly guns when the ENTIRE 1911 world is based off of custom and hand-fitted parts. Few, if any, 1911s of today are true to JMB's specs from 1907. 1911s fit certain roles, but still suffer from capacity, weight etc. so they are not always the best comp gun.

As far as comp triggers and M&Ps being a poor choice for comps, there are many professional shooters (with more credibility than you) who would disagree. Jerry Miculek comes to mind.

As to the second to the last sentence you wrote; then why is it acceptable for current 1911s to have a 1.)thumb safety 2.)drop safety 3.) grip safety but it is unacceptable to have a thumb safety on an M&P with a trigger meant to closely replicate a 1911?

In any event, this is my last post debating with you as I do not wish to derail to the OP's thread any further. This was meant to be a discussion discussing if an improved thumb safety over what is currently available may be a possibility. You can reply if want, I will read it, I will not respond.

m4brian
01-18-15, 13:57
Maybe I'm all goofed up, but the shield safety seemed perfectly positioned to be deliberately flicked off to a position where the thumb rests exactly where it should for proper hold. Also, it won't get flicked off or on accidentally. The normal mp safety is obtrusive, and as equipped on my 45, fairly soft in engagement. If the shield safety were a tad larger, it would be ideal as a manual safety goes. There is a reason why the mp safety is superfluous with a "carry pull", but when I picked up my relative's comp trigger (apex) I thought WOW but TO ME a tad light to carry. A nicely sized positive safety would be ideal. Then I picked up a shield and thought hmmmm.

MegademiC
01-18-15, 14:30
Personally, I thinks triggers are overhyped for defense, etc. But that's a discussion for another thread.

For the safety, I'd try to get a spare, and try a dremel/file reshaping to get it how u want.