PDA

View Full Version : Cut/thread barrel dilemma-What would you do?

buckshot1220
01-18-15, 15:44
I'll try to keep this short. I picked up a Rem 700 Varmint in .308 a few years back. It was an ADL which I converted over to a BDL and installed a take off Hogue stock of the Ghillie Green variety that comes on the SPS Tactical I believe. I bed the recoil lug, relieved some of the forend and filled with bedding compound to keep it free-floated while on a bi-pod or rest. I topped it off with a EGW base and SWFA SS 10x42 MilRad scope. As it sits, it turns in groups under .5MOA @ 100yds w/ Fed. GMM 168gr.

My dilemma is that it is a 26" barrel and this thing is huge and heavy. Most of my other guns are short/light and although I know this thing will never be a lightweight, I'd like to make it somewhat more maneuverable/usable by having the barrel shortened to 20" and having it threaded so I can add a brake and eventually be able to use a suppressor when I get around to doing my paperwork.

Problem is, being that it shoots so damn well as it sits, I'm kind of concerned sending it off to have someone lob 6" of barrel off, crown and re-thread. So, what does everyone think? Am I worried about nothing, can I expect the same accuracy when it returns? If so, who would you recommend?

jmnielsen
01-18-15, 16:24
Send it somewhere reputable and you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

ETA: I have a savage 10-tr with bull barrel that is 20" and that thing is still dang heavy!

taliv
01-18-15, 17:21
odds are good you will get the same, but it's not a given. could be better. could be worse. depends on the barrel.

JohnnyC
01-18-15, 17:29
Like taliv said, it will either be better, worse, or the same. The shorter barrel will be stiffer, and the velocity will be lower, and those are about the only estimations you can reliably make.

bjw182005
01-18-15, 18:51
Send to Mark at Short Action Customs and have him do it. I can assure you that you will be more than pleased with the results.

Pappabear
01-18-15, 21:59
Taliv as usual is dead on IMHO. But I would go for it. Another option is if you have money, you might be able to buy a 20 inch threaded BRUX .....KREIGER....for not a great deal more.

If you know your Smith is buttoned up, do it. Otherwise look at Southern precision rifles or such and buy another barrel and sell yours.

ucrt
01-18-15, 22:20

I'd cut it down to 16".
I have a 308 & 7mm-08 with barrels cut down & both are extremely accurate.

A couple of friends have borrowed those guns and love them.

To me the mobility of a short barrel outweighs the velocity loss and I don't see an accuracy problem at all.

But maybe it's me

taliv
01-19-15, 10:34
now that i'm not on my iphone, just a bit more commentary. pls keep in mind like i said above, odds are pretty good, but... the thing is, the last little bit of the barrel is a lot more important than the middle of the barrel as far as accuracy is concerned. there could be some armchair internet theory stuff in here, but you'll find a lot of smiths agree that having a choke at the end (basically, the barrel getting very very slightly smaller ID) is good for accuracy. also, for extreme accuracy, it's good when the twist rate at the end gets ever so slightly faster.

if you go whack the last 6-10" of your barrel off, what's the new end (previously middle) going to look like?
you'll find the twist rate on most factory barrels is going to kind of wander around. it speeds up and gets slower over the length of the barrel (think about how it engages the bullet). you'll also find the ID can vary as well, getting slightly larger and smaller. if you just happen to cut it off so that it's getting slightly slower or larger at the new end (previously middle), i could be wrong, as i often am, but i'd put money on it shooting like ass.

Mark is a great guy, but this is not a problem that a 'reputable smith' can solve by any means i'm aware of other than replacing the barrel. I'd expect him to tell you it's probably not a big deal and you'd be fine to just cut it off. i'd agree. i'm just sayin... it's not a sure thing (edit for clarity: it won't be his fault if it shoots crappy when you get it back. it'll be the barrel)

there've been so many recent threads on the efficacy of short barrel bolt guns, i won't beat that horse again

HD1911
01-19-15, 21:13
What's your Furthest Realistic Engagements?

if no more than say 800m, cut it to 18" and call it a day... or 20", either way. Re-crown and be done with it.

buckshot1220
01-21-15, 20:09
What's your Furthest Realistic Engagements?

if no more than say 800m, cut it to 18" and call it a day... or 20", either way. Re-crown and be done with it.

600yds is the furthest I can reach out to without driving hours on end to a range. Another option may be to just grab a factory threaded version in 20" (new AAC_SD) and run a 20rd test. If it shoots as good I can just keep it and sell the 26" with targets verifying its accuracy potential. I don't think I'd save anything going this route, probably the opposite, but I know for sure I wouldn't ruin a good thing.

Although, I just got news that there may be a major acquisition at work, so I am putting all of this on the back burner until I know my position is safe. Thanks all for the input.

HD1911
01-21-15, 20:22
600yds is the furthest I can reach out to without driving hours on end to a range. Another option may be to just grab a factory threaded version in 20" (new AAC_SD) and run a 20rd test. If it shoots as good I can just keep it and sell the 26" with targets verifying its accuracy potential. I don't think I'd save anything going this route, probably the opposite, but I know for sure I wouldn't ruin a good thing.

Although, I just got news that there may be a major acquisition at work, so I am putting all of this on the back burner until I know my position is safe. Thanks all for the input.

Not a bad idea either.

20" and 600 Yards... piece of cake. Hope it all works out for you.