PDA

View Full Version : reloading for a glock.....

texasgunhand
01-19-15, 00:49
Ive been reading that shooting reloads outa a glocks a bad idea..no lead of course iam only reloading jacketed bullets.
I shot some American eagle 115 fmj out my new g19 and some outa my wifes new 92fs. When i got home i micd.some emptys and found no difference in them,the rounds reallys seemed a little low power say compared to a good self defense round . Didnt even seem to expand fully in the chamber like a good self defensive load.

But there hot enough to shoot paper with,so what would it hurt to shoot a starting load outa them? Thats what ill be reloading is a starting load and 115 gr bullet fmj. Maybe load some hornady hollow points a little above a starting load.
Is this not gona work? I dont want to blow up a new g19 when target loads are so cheap.
What do you guys think??

m1a_scoutguy
01-19-15, 01:08
All I'll say is myself and a couple buddies have shot "thousands" of reloads through our G17 and my buddy has a G19 with the same count & 99.9% have been 124 grn cast lead bullets ! I can't tell you to do it I am just letting you know that myself and one of my main shooting buddy have done it and I would bet thousands of other guys & gals have also. Do what YOU think is right,reloading is a safe practice if you do your part. NEVER take anything for granted, start low and go from there. :) You mention starting load and that's fine,,find a good book or look online for info for the powder you are gonna use & go from there, DO NOT go below the lowest recommendation, week squib loads are very dangerous, so pay attention to the books or online data. Keep us posted on how ya make out & what you decide to do.

markm
01-19-15, 09:24
Mild loads will be a little dirtier because as you've noticed, the brass doesn't fire form to the chamber. The brass and the pistol's slide/frame may get more carbon fouling on them because more gas can blow back along the walls of the chamber.

Crank the load up as you feel comfortable.

125 mph
01-19-15, 16:49
I've had glocks where the only ammo I ran through them were my reloads. If you aren't using lead, it's no different than loading for any other pistol. And you don't have to baby them, frankly if you only load just above starting loads you may get pretty weak ejection.

Don't sweat it, just be careful and take your time like with anything else when you reload.

tcoz
01-19-15, 21:06
I had a G19 and the only thing I ever ran through it was my plated reloads. Glock as well as every manufacturer warns against shooting reloads because it's what their corporate lawyers tell them to say. They don't want some reloader to double or triple charge a round, blow up their gun and/or hand and then sue them. They say that shooting reloads will void your warranty yet I've two guns from two different manufacturers serviced under warranty and they said nothing...of course there's no way they could tell what I'd been shooting.

Load em and shoot em. Just be careful please.

joedirt199
01-20-15, 14:18
I shoot hard lead bullets from missouri bullet company and have not noticed any ill problems. As long as you don't go trying to push the lead too fast to avoid any leading or possibily of.

Mr blasty
01-20-15, 14:23
It's important to make sure when shooting lead through polygonal bore to make sure that they have a good tight fit. Otherwise they tend to lead the bore which can become dangerous if left unchecked.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

TomMcC
01-20-15, 16:31
I have a Glock 34 with a stock barrel that my son has shot at least a couple thousand Bayou coated lead bullets. These bullets produce "zero" leading and smoke very little. They are quite accurate too.

T2C
01-20-15, 16:45
I have fired tens of thousands of reloads through Glock 9mm and .40 calibers without any issues. A large percentage of the reloads were with lead bullets. I don't load them to maximum velocities to save wear and tear on the brass and to stretch my powder supply a little farther. I load 9mm and .40 calibers to 138 power factor, because that is the sweet spot for my reloads. I toss .40 caliber brass after 2 reloads nowadays to be on the safe side.

As long as you don't reload used brass to maximum velocities, you inspect your brass and you frequently check the chamber and bore for build up, you should be good to go.

I suggest investing in a loaded cartridge gauge for each cartridge you reload. It will save you a lot of time and headaches.

texasgunhand
01-20-15, 23:23
I wont be shooting lead out my nines maybe my .45 later, I was more worried about the cases blowing up than anything theres a lot of hoop la on the internet about it. I will be shooting mainly fmj or hollow point reloads in the nines.

A lot of people saying that becouse the feed ramp area is not supported and thats were the cases blow up. Everyones saying you need to go to a after market barrel to shoot reloads. Then i also read that doing so makes it not feed as well and thats why glock barrels work so good . I in no way want to make it more unreliable,and it is plenty accurate for me so installing a match barrel just to shoot reloads is something im not going to do.

And i am for sure buying the chamber gauges for everything i reload,you cant go wrong with what they offer for what 25 bucks.. It just made me a little nervous when i started seeing all the (bulge) videos on you tube etc. Those guys i dont trust,you guys i do..thats what makes this a great board..no B.S.
Once again thanks guys...

PS,, talking about checking bore and chamber, i at least field strip, clean and inspect my guns, rifles and pistols everytime i fire them. Even if its 1 round if its been fired it will be cleaned and relubed,i know thats a bit much but thats what i was tought to do and i have guns that are 80 years old.been in my family that long and still i would trust my life to them..

T2C
01-20-15, 23:42
Chamber an empty brass in your Glock 9mm and remove the magazine. Shine a light in the magazine well and observe how much brass is unsupported. Do the same thing with a pistol from a different manufacturer, such as S&W and note how much brass is unsupported. You should see a distinct difference.

Another consideration is how much swell you see on once fired brass from a Glock compared to most other manufacturers. I measured a considerable number of 9mm and .40 S&W brass from ammunition fired through Glocks and observed the brass swelled 0.0005" to 0.0010" more than once fired brass from my Beretta 92FS, S&W 6904 and S&W 4014. It's not the end of the world, but you should be aware of it when deciding how many times you reload brass from ammunition fired through your Glocks.

I would not bother with a match barrel for most applications. I strongly suggest you do not allow a build up of lead and powder fouling in the chamber when performing routine maintenance on a Glock.

A Glock is a damn fine weapon, but it requires some maintenance if you shoot a lot of reloads.

texasgunhand
01-21-15, 00:25
Doesnt resizing remove the swell?? Or does the die not go all the way down on a pistol round like a full sizeing rifle?

Mr blasty
01-21-15, 00:37
Removing the bulge can be a bit of a pain sometimes. It's not the end of the world and glocks can certainly safely handle reloads with the factory barrel all day long. The bulge is worse with the 40's. They make dies that deal with the bulge pretty well if it proves to be a problem for you.

tcoz
01-21-15, 05:03
If you shoot Glocks and reload you just need to inspect your brass near the case head. Sizing can usually remove the bulge if it isn't too bad, or you can buy a "bulge-buster" die. It's definitely more of an issue with the .40. When I had a G19 and started reloading, I bought a Lone Wolf replacement barrel for about $90 just to be sure. I never had a feeding issue with it and as a side benefit, being a match grade barrel, it was much more accurate than the stock barrel. Plus being a stainless barrel, it made mine a little different looking than the other G19's out there.

T2C
01-21-15, 07:00
Removing the bulge can be a bit of a pain sometimes. It's not the end of the world and glocks can certainly safely handle reloads with the factory barrel all day long. The bulge is worse with the 40's. They make dies that deal with the bulge pretty well if it proves to be a problem for you.

I ordered resizing dies for 9mm and .40 S&W that are 0.001" smaller for this reason. I purchased them from Evolution Gun Works. http://www.egwguns.com/undersize-reloading-dies/

Whenever you have to work the brass more to get a reloaded cartridge to fit in a loaded cartridge gauge, it is harder on the brass and you have to be aware of it.

125 mph
01-21-15, 07:45
Sample of one and all, but I use standard rcbs carbide dies, and don't sort my brass AT ALL. I've never had an issue with my glocks (9mm and 45).

Straight Shooter
01-21-15, 08:41
If you use a coated bullet like the awesome FAL-COAT bullets from Falcon Bullets, you can drive those rounds up to speed and beyond.
Weve done it, chronoed many and accuracy is superb. And...the bore will have only powder fouling, no bullet residue.

texasgunhand
01-21-15, 09:18
As i said in an early post in this thread. I took some once fired brass,some american eagle shot through my glock and some my wife was shooting outa her berreta 92. Micd. both in the bulge area and found no difference in them. They measured exactly the same. Most of the stuff i was seeing was on the 10mm so i could seethe .40 havinga problem . Both are cannons compared to the 9mm.