PDA

View Full Version : BCM 14.5" upper build, muzzle device recomendations from BCM?

Eagle1*
01-19-15, 15:27
Guys, I am getting ready to build a BCM upper and was looking for your input on which muzzle device to go with from them as I am getting a 14.5" upper so it will need pin welded on. I am obviously used to the standard flash suppressor but was looking for input on the other 3, BCM Compensator, PWS or Battle Comp 1.5. I am not interested in the Surefire brake. If one or the other would keep the gun from rising, please let me know, Thanks E..

BuzzinSATX
01-19-15, 15:32
I like the BCM Comp. I've not shot the PWS, but the BCM seems less obtrusive to other shooters on my left or right. Just my humble opinion...YMMV

Eagle1*
01-19-15, 15:34
does it do a good job of decreasing muzzle rise as I assume that is what it is supposed to do? Also, are they louder than the normal GI flash hiders?

Trajan
01-19-15, 15:42
Heavier setups (govt bbls, quad rails, etc): A2X.
Lighter set ups: BCM comp.

Yes, it is a little bit louder. Only really noticeable when shooting in a hall way or right up against a wall though.

BuzzinSATX
01-19-15, 15:47
does it do a good job of decreasing muzzle rise as I assume that is what it is supposed to do? Also, are they louder than the normal GI flash hiders?

Like Trajan said, it's a bit louder, but not obnoxious if you shoot at ranges with other folks. Works okay to help reduce muzzle rise as far as I'm concerned. But again, YMMV, and since you are buying a 14.5, it will be a permanent mod, so maybe you'll need to find someone who can let you try it out???

Eagle1*
01-19-15, 16:17
alright, what about those battle comp devices?

lrc
01-19-15, 16:41
I have a battle comp on the 14.5 ..effective, but loud in my opinion

BufordTJustice
01-19-15, 17:50
Precision Armament EFAB. All the way.

cfrock
01-19-15, 18:05
I have the 1.5 Battle Comp pinned on a Rainier AR and really dig it. I notice the difference in rise in particular vs my DD comp and A2. Its slightly louder but not obnoxious and a touch expensive but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's my favorite rifle.

Iraqgunz
01-19-15, 18:20
here's my thought on the matter. I recommend against the 14.5 unless it's necessary for legal reasons. Especially if you don't have a lot of experience with different mobile devices.

lrc
01-19-15, 18:22
+1 on Precision Armament love the AFAB mini on the 14.5 lightweight. Just got the EFAB will try it soon.

Shiz
01-19-15, 19:15
I recommend against the 14.5 unless it's necessary for legal reasons. Especially if you don't have a lot of experience with different mobile devices.

seconded. go with a 16" and get a free muzzle device from BCM. You are not saving a whole lot on length with 14.5 anyway.

rm06
01-19-15, 20:08
here's my thought on the matter. I recommend against the 14.5 unless it's necessary for legal reasons. Especially if you don't have a lot of experience with different mobile devices.

I will throw my hat in the ring on this one too. I have one and won't again. They may look a little cooler to some but that wears off quickly buying new muzzle devices and paying someone to pin and weld it on when the rail gets changed. I was positive I would never use anything but the GI barrel nut.

jesuvuah
01-19-15, 20:13
I agree with above. have owned a couple 14.5" and wll likely never do it again. it only saves an inch but you loose 1.5 " of velocity making barrel.

turnburglar
01-19-15, 20:19
I'd also advise getting a 16" over 14.5

Can't say my bcm comp is louder than my a2.

Bcm comp has better recoil mitigation and slightly more flash than my a2.

joeyjoe
01-19-15, 20:32
Personally, im a big fan of the 14.5 pinned and welded setup. There are the obvious pit falls that have been pointed out, but you do save a little bit over one inch in OAL with a 14.5 inch setup (and that's free length reduction and I don't have to ask the government for permission). As well, vs. a comparable 16" barrel, the weight loss on the end of the barrel is definitely noticeable. if you are running a carbine length gas system, the 14.5 makes a lot of sense. I have had no reliability issues whatsoever with my 14.5 middy's. I have several 14. 5 uppers. I haven't regretted any of them. However, I must say, I spent a great deal of time contemplating the materials and purpose of each of my 14.5 uppers. If I want something different, ill set to work on a different upper etc. Basically, make sure you try out as many rails as you can and as many muzzle devices as you can. Decide what you really want and go for it. I have a BC 1.5 on one of my 14.5 uppers. In my experience, the BC definitely allows for less lateral movement than the bcm gf comp. The BC 1.5 does a great job at muzzle stabilization. However, the BC, in my subjective opinion, is a bit more blasty than the bcm comp. The bcm gf comp, conversely, has more lateral movement and less blast. Nothing is free, right? Again, all of this is just my personal experience/opinion, but I am a fan of the 14.5 pinned and welded carbine/middy.

MegademiC
01-19-15, 22:16
I'm also a pin/weld fan

BUT...

I would recommend against it for a first gun, or if your fickle. I had a cheap stag for a few years and really nailed down what I needed, then wanted. I've had the current setup for a few years and still love it. That said, my setup is solid and simple, and I don't need to constantly have the best stuff out and there is no need to change other than if I want to. If I decide to, I'll just buy another upper and keep this. Just some things to consider.

Also, its more expensive to pin/weld, and to remove if you change your mind.

TXBK
01-19-15, 22:35
If you really want a 14.5" upper, SBR your lower so you don't have to pin/weld.

3ACR_Scout
01-19-15, 23:57
I would recommend against it for a first gun, or if your fickle. I had a cheap stag for a few years and really nailed down what I needed, then wanted. I've had the current setup for a few years and still love it. That said, my setup is solid and simple, and I don't need to constantly have the best stuff out and there is no need to change other than if I want to. If I decide to, I'll just buy another upper and keep this. Just some things to consider.
I approach this the same way. I'm impressed by the amount of thought and testing that other people here put into their rifles, but I personally spend a lot of time doing research on the front end to make sure that I'll be satisfied with what I buy, even if it's not perfect. I recently bought a BCM LW 14.5" mid-length upper with 13" KMR and pinned BCM Comp Mod 1, and for my purposes, I just don't see myself ever needing to change it unless something breaks. For my home defense and training purposes, I'm confident that it will serve me well, and any minor benefits from changing muzzle devices would probably be lost on me anyway. I certainly don't feel the need to change the KMR unless it gets damaged. On my limited budget, I just don't want to spend the money buying new components and changing things around if the rifle is good enough for my current "G.I." skill level. If I really decide I need to take a drastically different route, I'm confident that I can sell the BCM 14.5" upper, but I'll only do that after a lot of research on the next purchase. My first BCM is a 16" middie with standard FSB and Larue 9" rails, which feels very heavy now, in comparison to the LW with KMR, so that will be my platform to experiment with things if I want to change components around.

On a side note, I think this has been brought up before, but I'm curious about the difference between the BCM Mod 0 and Mod 1 comps. The Mod 1 is obviously stretched, partly to add the 1.5" length to the barrel when pinned on a 14.5", but I'm curious if it's also specifically tuned for the 14.5" length. I.e., if the one or the other (standard Mod 0 length vs. Mod 1 length) performs better, why not use the same design on both a 14.5" barrel and a 16" barrel (even if you're adding more length on a 16"). Do the vents on the Mod 1 need to be longer to account for the shorter barrel, or would a Mod 0 design with a longer base work also? Just thinking out loud...

Dave

vicious_cb
01-20-15, 02:15
On a side note, I think this has been brought up before, but I'm curious about the difference between the BCM Mod 0 and Mod 1 comps. The Mod 1 is obviously stretched, partly to add the 1.5" length to the barrel when pinned on a 14.5", but I'm curious if it's also specifically tuned for the 14.5" length. I.e., if the one or the other (standard Mod 0 length vs. Mod 1 length) performs better, why not use the same design on both a 14.5" barrel and a 16" barrel (even if you're adding more length on a 16"). Do the vents on the Mod 1 need to be longer to account for the shorter barrel, or would a Mod 0 design with a longer base work also? Just thinking out loud...

Dave

Yes, the longer mod 1 is designed specifically to add more back pressure to cycle a 14.5" midlength more reliably. If you look closely at the mod 1 it has an expansion chamber before it opens up into the connical baffle section of the brake.

3ACR_Scout
01-20-15, 03:17
Yes, the longer mod 1 is designed specifically to add more back pressure to cycle a 14.5" midlength more reliably. If you look closely at the mod 1 it has an expansion chamber before it opens up into the connical baffle section of the brake.
Thanks a lot. I got my 14.5" upper shortly before deploying and didn't have a chance to spend much time with it. I'm looking forward to catching up when I get home.

Dave

Moose-Knuckle
01-20-15, 04:26
I don't have a 14.5 in the inventory but am looking at getting my first when BCM offers a BFH ELW. The reason I'm looking at the 14.5 opposed to the standard 16" is I hear good things about 14.5 mid-lengths. I have in mind a 14.5 mid-length upper with an A5 extension kit. Combined with a comp I surmise that will make one flat sweet shooting combo. Anyone have a similar set up?

Till now I have had no use for a 14.5 upper.

Eagle1*
01-20-15, 07:08
Thanks for all of the replies. I have a BCM/EAG 14.5" upper that I got from BCM back in 2013 and never shot it until the other day and really like it. I do notice that is has a little more "kick" if that is what you want to call it compared to my other heavier AR's. I really like the 14.5"s because they are easier to move in and around vehicles as I am a PO. The shorter the better in my book as I have a M42K as well so that also makes me want a shorter barrel. And, yes I already have a legal sbr so that end is covered as well.

Press Check
01-20-15, 10:34
Is it true there have been changes made to the Mod 0 and Mod 1 compensators? I recently posted one for sale on ARF, and a prospective buyer asked for a picture so that he could verify if it was a gen 1 or gen 2 compensator.

markm
01-20-15, 11:00
The MOD 1 is the only permed muzzle device I've not wanted to remove. A little barky, but none of that annoying concussion from a full brake.

Biggy
01-20-15, 11:11
Precision Armament EFAB. All the way.

I'm with Buford on this one. IMHO, it is *currently* the best *all around * non suppressor mount muzzle device compromise available.

joeyjoe
01-20-15, 11:32
and of course there is always something like the A2X (a flash hider is still a muzzle device). Cant go wrong with an A2, really.

NWcityguy2
01-20-15, 14:16
I got the BCM Mod 0 free with a 16" mid-length I bought. For free the Mod 0 is worth it. Slightly more effective than an A2 at felt recoil and not much worse at flash reduction. But for $90 I'd never buy it because it is one of the worst hybrid devices at reducing felt recoil. This test completely mimics my personal experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FD-Rou9-9A There is no free lunch when it comes to recoil reduction, flash suppresion and side concussion. The BCM may be good at the last two, but it is fairly ineffective at the first, which is the whole point of a hybrid device.

Also don't get caught up on mitigating muzzle rise. That's an easy sell for companies because essentially every muzzle device out there can give your rifle a slight muzzle down effect, even the A2. Decreasing muzzle movement by reducing felt recoil is the true goal. Watching people on youtube shoot an AR with a very aggressive stace, showing how the muzzle basically stays flat is all sizzle and no steak. You would actually have to see their target to see if the muzzle device was helping them keep bullets on the center of the target.

My first advice is if you want the BCM, get a 16" upper and grab the Mod 0 for free. But if you have to pay money for it, either stick with the A2 or another flash hider (if that's what you want) or get a PWS fsc556, which has been demonstrated to be better at reducing felt recoil while still not creating a fireball like a full fledged comp.

Trajan
01-20-15, 20:33
Thanks for all of the replies. I have a BCM/EAG 14.5" upper that I got from BCM back in 2013 and never shot it until the other day and really like it. I do notice that is has a little more "kick" if that is what you want to call it compared to my other heavier AR's. I really like the 14.5"s because they are easier to move in and around vehicles as I am a PO. The shorter the better in my book as I have a M42K as well so that also makes me want a shorter barrel. And, yes I already have a legal sbr so that end is covered as well.
You're asking for recommendations, yet never shot a 14.5" middy you've had for two years until the other day? Wow.

Does it have the BC1.5" on it? Side by side with the same ammo, the BC 1.5" had more rearward push than an A2X IMO. I too have the EAG. EAG is a heavy gun though, by today's standards.

jcalvert86
01-21-15, 11:31
I don't have a 14.5 in the inventory but am looking at getting my first when BCM offers a BFH ELW. The reason I'm looking at the 14.5 opposed to the standard 16" is I hear good things about 14.5 mid-lengths. I have in mind a 14.5 mid-length upper with an A5 extension kit. Combined with a comp I surmise that will make one flat sweet shooting combo. Anyone have a similar set up?

Till now I have had no use for a 14.5 upper.

I have the 14.5" standard elw w/ A5 H4 buffer and lantac dragon muzzle device... feels like shooting a .22LR and zero issues using federal/pmc etc 5.56.

vicious_cb
01-21-15, 19:51
I have the 14.5" standard elw w/ A5 H4 buffer and lantac dragon muzzle device... feels like shooting a .22LR and zero issues using federal/pmc etc 5.56.

That lantac must be adding a ton of back pressure if you can run an A5H4 with a 14.5" midlength and PMC. My 14.5 carbine gas will barely run wolf with an A5H3.

M&P15T
01-22-15, 10:18
I have a BCM HSP carbine. It has the standard profile BCM 14.5" barrel, with a pinned/welded BCM Gunfighter comp.

It shoots amazingly soft, and is quiet. It doesn't bug shooters around me, and my BCM shoots like a .22LR.

jcalvert86
01-22-15, 10:43
That lantac must be adding a ton of back pressure if you can run an A5H4 with a 14.5" midlength and PMC. My 14.5 carbine gas will barely run wolf with an A5H3.

It had zero issues using the BCM comp also.