PDA

View Full Version : ACOG on Carry Handle-Any caveats?

rbxb
09-24-06, 20:38
Ok
Ive pretty much decided to spring for an ACOG over the Aimpoint
Since I'm "old school" I've decided to keep & use the Carry handle.
Do I need to drill more holes?
What about stability?
What about return to zero?
Do you guys recommend mounting it closer to buttstock than in "center"
Currently I'm looking at the 4x32 which is not a BAC. Is this relavant?
Loctite??
any one with experience successfully using this formula please advise.......

thnx in advance
Colt Tactical 6721

Patrick Aherne
09-24-06, 22:38
DON'T drill any new holes. Just put it on, zero it and shoot. I prefer one of the Compact ACOGS, specifically the red triangle, 2X20 model if I had to do it all over again.

TOrrock
09-24-06, 22:44
I have an original TA-11 3.5X with the donut, no issues with loss of zero over time.

No need to drill a second hole at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Range%20Day%209-13-05/Half%20Sized%20Range%20Day/RangePics9-13-05001.jpg

MaceWindu
09-24-06, 23:39
I prefer one of the Compact ACOGS, specifically the red triangle, 2X20 model if I had to do it all over again.

Pat just wants to be like Mace. Tan and all:D

Mace

harleytech
09-25-06, 00:17
I have the TA01 and it's mounted on the carry handle. I like it up there, It works for me...:D

Hoplophile
09-25-06, 01:55
If you're going for the carry handle then I'd go for the 2x compact model with the reticle of your choice.

I have a 3x compact and I like it but the eye relief is very short. This is the one model that IMO needs a new hole drilled.

The full size ACOGs are taller which means more potential for cheek weld problems and they are heavier which may make the weapon feel top heavy.

harleytech
09-25-06, 05:26
My TA01 came carry handle mount only,Did not drill any holes, the gun does not feel top heavy and the cheek weld is just fine...:confused:

rob_s
09-25-06, 06:13
I tried even the compact on a carry handle and didn't like the way I had to crane my neck up to see through it. I had it mounted on a rifle that had a Cavarms lower and an M16 upper. The rifle is the middle one in this pic (http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/204150/1577979outdoortrio.jpg).

Why are you resistant to mounting it to the flattop? Is it a cost issue?

harleytech
09-25-06, 06:27
It's all good. To each his own, Do what feels the best...:D

rbxb
09-25-06, 21:13
Why are you resistant to mounting it to the flattop? Is it a cost issue?[/QUOTE]

Not a cost issue.
The basic , inherent design of the Black Rifle allows for us to add optics while Still having standard BUIS & a handle with which to carry it around.
I think by the time you remove the carry handle, & add iron sights that are unprotected & have to be flipped up or down to add fancy optics is straying too far from the original design. The Rail system has its place, but I choose this carbine because of its flexibility & proven durability. Right out of the box!
I like to think of my AR as a woman. She's as pretty as any babe in town, handles great, no excess baggage etc. ......

rob_s
09-26-06, 06:35
Not a cost issue.
The basic , inherent design of the Black Rifle allows for us to add optics while Still having standard BUIS & a handle with which to carry it around.
I think by the time you remove the carry handle, & add iron sights that are unprotected & have to be flipped up or down to add fancy optics is straying too far from the original design. The Rail system has its place, but I choose this carbine because of its flexibility & proven durability. Right out of the box!
I like to think of my AR as a woman. She's as pretty as any town, handles great, no excess baggage etc. ......
It sounds to me like you're sacrificing function over some kind of romanticized aesthetic, but it's your carbine.

I'm curious why, if you never intend to take the handle off, you bought a rifle with a removable carry handle. It strikes me that a 6520 would have been much better suited to your purposes.

Hoplophile
09-26-06, 13:09
...a handle with which to carry it around.While it has the right size and shape to be used as a carry handle, that's the last thing it should ever be used as. Try doing a google search for the phrase "muzzle discipline"

rbxb
09-27-06, 17:42
It sounds to me like you're sacrificing function over some kind of romanticized aesthetic, but it's your carbine.

I'm curious why, if you never intend to take the handle off, you bought a rifle with a removable carry handle. It strikes me that a 6520 would have been much better suited to your purposes.

Excellent point! & my original replacement for my Ar15 Sporter was gonna be the 6520. A 6520 would suit me just fine!
As it happened, I found a 6721 Tactical NIB.
my research pointed me to the versatility of the 1/9" twist (although I had no problem with my old 1/7")
Every used AR I saw - the ones with the HBARS (even just the lowers) were bringing more $$$ indicating a better resell value...
My 6721 has the beloved factory cut M4 feedramps ( dont know if the 6520 had them)

So I actually compromised having to pay more , have the removable CH for the other features....

One thing I've noticed, is the detachable CH is actually smaller
& I cant get my right thumb in the front of it & carry it (muzzle safely down, HOPLO) by the delta ring/forestocks like a fixed handle model.

At any rate, This forum & AR15.com, Has been very helpful! Who knows, maybe someday I'll get used to the flat top look & go that route. I'm slow to "change" anyway.

Right now I have a factory fresh 6721, Cans of PMC 5.56, ACOG compact 2 x 20 amber triangle reticle CH mount scope on its way! First Samco M33 Hangaurds & a trijicon front iron replacement site on their way!
And I cant wait to get it all in the field !!!!!!

MaceWindu
09-27-06, 17:46
amber triangle

Red dude......RED.

Mace

rbxb
09-27-06, 17:54
too late wudda preferred red but got great deal!!!!

Under $600 for NIB never mounted 2x20 compact acog
I had a 4x ACOG ordered but after reading this board I poo poo'ed the 4x full size & the Aimpoint for this one...

MaceWindu
09-27-06, 18:02
too late wudda preferred red but got great deal!!!!

Under $600 for NIB never mounted 2x20 compact acog
I had a 4x ACOG ordered but after reading this board I poo poo'ed the 4x full size & the Aimpoint for this one...

10-4....YOU WILL like the 2x....

9X9 plates @ 200 yrds are EASY.

http://www.mustangrange.jp/shin/DSC_8165r.jpg

Mace

rbxb
09-30-06, 17:37
10-4....YOU WILL like the 2x....

You guys are Right!
Just got my new ACOG Compact 2x
Where has this sight been all my life? The BAC is Awesome!
I'll never need a battery. It draws light like any other scope for night operation.
The 4X full size woulda been too big & too much magnification.
The 2X20 is plenty of magnification & yet not too much for CQB.
The size is truly "compact" & not cumbersome even in my application mounted on the CH