PDA

View Full Version : Things done wrong so often that they are right...

ramairthree
01-20-15, 11:47
A lot of these are words.

For example,
forte said "for-tay" is a musical reference,
but forte said "fort" is in regards to a sword or a strong point,
with nearly everyone pronouncing it "for-tay" for a strength.

I almost always hear this said "for-tay" when talking about a strong point.

Or cache,
should be "cash" when taking about your hidden weapons stash,
and only "ca-shay" when talking about the approval or style.

For not word stuff,
I, now without the military uniform equivalent,
have to go to a black tie event now and then.
Almost everyone is wearing the white tie collar shirts with their black bow tie.
The correct shirt is the turn down collar with black tie.
But it is almost to the point where no one knows that any more.

What other examples do you have of stuff done wrong so much it is becoming/has become "right?"

Eurodriver
01-20-15, 11:51
Driving the speed limit in the fast lane.

SteyrAUG
01-20-15, 12:44
Driving the speed limit in the fast lane.

Even worse is driving under the speed limit in the fast lane.

docsherm
01-20-15, 15:55

Even worse is people that just drive in the left lane when they should be in he right lane.....

Caeser25
01-20-15, 16:07
People that drive to the end of the on ramp getting on the highway and slam on their breaks and stop.

Onyx Z
01-20-15, 16:07
Even worse is people that just drive in the left lane when they should be in he right lane.....

Even worse is old people driving in any lane.

docsherm
01-20-15, 16:37

And the winner is..... :jester:

Eurodriver
01-20-15, 16:41
What do you Texans know about old people driving?

VIP3R 237
01-20-15, 16:46

Damn Californians are the worst at this, and they will not change lanes no matter what.

docsherm
01-20-15, 16:47

Ours drive cars and not golf carts......;)

Eurodriver
01-20-15, 17:11
Ours drive cars and not golf carts......;)

Oh man, why did you have to remind me? We have established Golf Cart Friendly Communities where these old people are allowed to drive golf carts on public streets!

TehLlama
01-20-15, 17:16
Anybody who doesn't understand that 'loose' and 'lose' have different meanings not being flogged or sent to remedial 5th grade upsets me slightly.

Doc Safari
01-20-15, 17:29
I can't stand when news reporters giving the details of a murder confuse a "pick" and call it a "pick axe."

A "pick" has a round spike at both ends, or a round spike at one end and a flat spike at the other end.

A "pick axe" is an axe with a spike opposite the blade. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

A "pick axe" is more like a fireman's axe. Most of the time when media call a murder weapon a "pick axe" they really mean a "pick", as in a railroad pick, or a mattox pick, or just a pick.

Done ranting.

dentron
01-20-15, 17:29
Hating the second amendment

PD Sgt.
01-20-15, 17:35
Anyone in LE is familiar with the common peroneal strike, pronounced per-oh-knee-al. The correct pronounciation, according to my doctor brother is pair-oh-kneel. I will say it the LE way just to bug the shit out of him.

"Laceration" is not what you get if you are cut by a knife or sharp object. A laceration is splitting or tearing of the skin from blunt force, such as a stick or bat. The edges are more irregular and there can be bridging of the skin across the wound. As a former detective, this is one of my pet peeves.

.46caliber
01-20-15, 17:45
It's peace of mind, not piece of mind. Unless you're Hannibal and having it with a nice Chianti.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bubba FAL
01-20-15, 17:53
It's peace of mind, not piece of mind. Unless you're Hannibal and having it with a nice Chianti.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Or if you're giving it to someone, then it's piece of mind.

SteyrAUG
01-20-15, 17:53
People that drive to the end of the on ramp getting on the highway and slam on their breaks and stop.

They make traffic fun don't they? Runner up are people driving in the far right lane going 20 over the posted speed limit making it almost impossible for anyone to merge from the on ramp onto the highway.

Bubba FAL
01-20-15, 18:01
They make traffic fun don't they? Runner up are people driving in the far right lane going 20 over the posted speed limit making it almost impossible for anyone to merge from the on ramp onto the highway.

Can't always blame the drivers - some states actually put stop signs at the end of freeway onramps!

For me it's people leaving an entire syllable out of the word temperature (temp-uh-chur vs. tem-per-a-chur). It's rare to hear it pronounced correctly.

Onyx Z
01-20-15, 20:01

I guess it's not quite as bad as Florida... ;)

(I'm assuming you're in Florida)

MBtech
01-20-15, 20:55
They put these flashing lights on cars now days... oh what were they called again?...Oh yeah!! TURN SIGNALS!!

Leaveammoforme
01-20-15, 21:03
.410 revolvers with rifled barrels....and sig braces.

CoryCop25
01-20-15, 21:24
"My husband choked me".... No he didn't, he strangled you. The only way you can be choked is if someone throws something down your throat.

Averageman
01-21-15, 06:47
"My husband choked me".... No he didn't, he strangled you. The only way you can be choked is if someone throws something down your throat.

Now think about that for a minute and get back with us.

Moose-Knuckle
01-21-15, 06:59
For example,

And hear I thought you were going to go on a rant about he urban vernacular for 40oz. malt alcoholic beverages and center fire handguns chambered in .40S&W . . .

MBtech
01-21-15, 07:17
It is an "ENGINE" under the hood of your vehicle not a "MOTOR"

Eurodriver
01-21-15, 07:20

Unless you're in the UK, then it's completely reversed ;)

markm
01-21-15, 07:41

Even worse is Asian drivers.... or Malaysian Pilots! :sarcastic:

Ned Christiansen
01-21-15, 08:11
Pictures of AR15's on magazine covers and in magazine ads, and others shown about by people who ought to know better, with a magazine in place, the bolt forward, and the safety off.

militarymoron
01-21-15, 08:12
Referring to non fully-automatic firearms as 'assault rifles'.

Doc Safari
01-21-15, 08:56
Anyone in LE is familiar with the common peroneal strike, pronounced per-oh-knee-al. The correct pronounciation, according to my doctor brother is pair-oh-kneel. I will say it the LE way just to bug the shit out of him.

"Laceration" is not what you get if you are cut by a knife or sharp object. A laceration is splitting or tearing of the skin from blunt force, such as a stick or bat. The edges are more irregular and there can be bridging of the skin across the wound. As a former detective, this is one of my pet peeves.

As a former LE person, I can never get over people thinking "aggravated assault" somehow means the assault was justified because the other person "aggravated you." Huh? Seriously? "Aggravated" refers to the charge, i.e., you "aggravated" the charge of assault by using a weapon. It doesn't mean you had the right to kick someone's ass because they "aggravated" you.

Doc Safari
01-21-15, 08:59
I'll just add that 'clips' are actually 'magazines.' :shout:

buckshot1220
01-21-15, 09:52

Even worse are people who don't spell "brakes" correctly. :jester:

ramairthree
01-21-15, 10:18

Yes, that is correct technically.

Unless you are really, really old.

If you were around when there were steam engines,
they started calling the first internal combustion engines motors.

That may be the root of how they are incorrectly used interchangeably by many.

Crow Hunter
01-21-15, 10:20
Even worse are people who don't spell "brakes" correctly. :jester:

As a person who used to work in the automotive brake industry, that gets me too.

As well as people who use "to" instead of "too."

Mute point instead of moot point, even professional writers get this wrong at times.

One last one that probably applies to several people on this board.

People from the upper Midwest will say Ruff instead of Roof. But they wear Boots not Butts on their feet. I don't understand how the "oo" in roof is a "uh" while the "oo" in boot isn't.

ramairthree
01-21-15, 10:23
I hear foh-tee here.

Now, I guess how words get pronounced has to have some leeway for change.

We don't say Kuh-nife or Swuh-ord any more.

add-ver-tis-ment, adver-tiz-ment

lee-ver, lev-er

cent-I-meter, saunt-i-meter

etc.

I still don't think insects are aunts though.

JulyAZ
01-21-15, 10:30
When someone says AR stands for "Assault rifle"

docsherm
01-21-15, 10:33

That us because there are people in the left lane driving under the posted speed limit........ :)

buckshot1220
01-21-15, 10:44
Do and due, I see this all the time.

Effect and affect, although I admit I usually have to stop and think about it when it comes up each time.

Their, there, they're...and everything else like it.

The proper use of punctuation and capitalization as well. I'm not a grammar expert by any means, but I get it right most of the time and the ones I don't are usually the really obscure ones only an English Teacher would catch.

Also, when people put the dollar sign after the numeral such as "I'd like 100$ OBO.":nono:

uffdaphil
01-21-15, 11:32
At this point or at this time - never both.

Fill-in-the-phobia. Opposition to does not equal fear of.

Equal rights meaning special treatment.

THCDDM4
01-21-15, 11:41
How about the Supreme Court just practicing judicial review of the Constitution. We never gave that power, they just usurped it and we continue to allow them to subvert the constitution.

uffdaphil
01-21-15, 11:52
How about the Supreme Court just practicing judicial review of the Constitution. We never gave that power, they just usurped it and we continue to allow them to subvert the constitution.

One part of the greater usurpation allowed by ignoring the 10th amendment.

MistWolf
01-21-15, 19:53

Hey, now!

What do you Texans know about driving?

Fixed it for ya

Damn Californians are the worst at this(driving under the speed limit in the fast lane), and they will not change lanes no matter what.

You must have been in Northern California- the part up around Portland where the speed of light is 45 miles an hour. In the rest of California, the speed limit is what ever is marked on the sign plus 15

Runner up are people driving in the far right lane going 20 over the posted speed limit

It's called an "Acceleration Ramp" for a reason. Pedal on the right! You're getting on a freeway, not entering a parking lot (unless merging into traffic in "Oregon")

They put these flashing lights on cars now days... oh what were they called again?...Oh yeah!! TURN SIGNALS!!

The only thing my turn signals are good for is making cars magically appearing in the lane I went to change to

Now think about that for a minute and get back with us.

Don't get cocky!

I'm going with "powerplant"- unless we're talking about a Prius

Unless you're in the UK, then it's completely reversed ;)

Nigel Bloke has everything reversed. I suppose that's what happens when you put your luggage in the boot and a motor under the bonnet

MountainRaven
01-21-15, 20:47

For example,

Or cache,

For not word stuff,
Almost everyone is wearing the white tie collar shirts with their black bow tie.

What other examples do you have of stuff done wrong so much it is becoming/has become "right?"

Cache (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cache).

Cachet (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cachet).

In related news: Ambidextrous (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ambidextrous). Am-bi-dex-trous.

MBtech
01-21-15, 21:01
How about sagging pants below your a$$ cheeks walking like a duck to be cool!?!

J-Dub
01-21-15, 21:13
" I could care less"

For ****s sake its "I couldn't care less". Because if you COULD care less, obviously you do care about it....since you could care less.

Drives me nuts.....and don't get me started on "supposebly".....

docsherm
01-21-15, 22:27
People that pronounce Stephen as SteVen. Do they talk on the teleVone (telephone)? The PH makes a "F" sound. Get over it, you name is SteFen.......

BoringGuy45
01-21-15, 23:23
The interchanging use of terror and horror and all the words associated with them. Terror is the extreme dread of something awful. Horror is the trauma caused by experiencing of something awful. You can't dread something that already happened, and you can't be traumatized by something you haven't even seen yet.

Proper uses:

"The villagers waited in terror as the barbarian hordes approached."
"The villagers looked on in horror as the barbarian hordes sacked their village."

"The young soldier was horrified by what he had seen in his first battle, and was terrified as he thought of the battle that lay ahead."

Terrible and horrible can be interchangeable sometimes though. You could say, "This is going to be a terrible storm," that is, this storm is going to cause a lot of anxiety and dread. Or you can say, "This is going to be a horrible storm," that is, the effects of the storm are going to traumatize people.

And of course, there's the version of the word terror that became misused in slang so much that the word officially changed its meaning in the English language: Terrific. Originally it meant "terror causing," the same way horrific meant "horror causing," now it means excellent, and the opposite of horrific. For example, If your boss tells you that you've been doing a terrific job, give yourself a pat on the back. If he tells you you're doing a horrific job, start writing your new resume.

Endur
01-21-15, 23:23
People who piss on the god damn toilet seat and do not wipe it off, or worse, those curly little hairs littered everywhere when you have to drop the obamas off in a public place. I don't know about you, but I do not like having to wipe others crap off the seat.

Semis who ride each others a** in the lane you have to merge onto while getting on the highway, then you end up on the next exit because you could not get over.

Skinny jeans. How can you look yourself in the mirror and call yourself a man?

Half repping weights.

Using the excuse/rationalization of so-and-so does it, so it is ok for me to do it. Really? Just because so-and-so is a sh*tbag does not mean it is ok or acceptable.

ramairthree
01-21-15, 23:34
People who piss on the god damn toilet seat and do not wipe it off, or worse, those curly little hairs littered everywhere when you have to drop the obamas off in a public place. I don't know about you, but I do not like having to wipe others crap off the seat.

Semis who ride each others a** in the lane you have to merge onto while getting on the highway, then you end up on the next exit because you could not get over.

Skinny jeans. How can you look yourself in the mirror and call yourself a man?

Half repping weights.

Using the excuse/rationalization of so-and-so does it, so it is ok for me to do it. Really? Just because so-and-so is a sh*tbag does not mean it is ok or acceptable.

Yes.
I am very sick of the F-ing savages that piss all over toilet seats.

And the number of people I see leaving restrooms without washing their hands is horrific.

I am also surprised at the number of tools people try to use for the wrong stuff. I don't mean improvising because they do not have the right tool.

I mean they have no idea which wrench, file, bit, etc. to use.

MBtech
01-21-15, 23:46
31235 Let me think about it... this could take awhile

MBtech
01-21-15, 23:54
Yes.
I am very sick of the F-ing savages that piss all over toilet seats.

And the number of people I see leaving restrooms without washing their hands is horrific.

I am also surprised at the number of tools people try to use for the wrong stuff. I don't mean improvising because they do not have the right tool.

I mean they have no idea which wrench, file, bit, etc. to use.

Oh good Lord don't get me started on using the right tool for the job!

And remains of "Ballfro" on the toilet seat is just plain disturbing.

Endur
01-22-15, 00:00
Oh good Lord don't get me started on using the right tool for the job!

And remains of "Ballfro" on the toilet seat is just plain disturbing.

I do not know what is worse, ballfro on the seat or feces juice on back edge of the seat from not wiping ones turd cutter from the last time they went logging. Disgusting.

MBtech
01-22-15, 00:08
I do not know what is worse, ballfro on the seat or feces juice on back edge of the seat from not wiping ones turd cutter from the last time they went logging. Disgusting.

So the moral of this wrong vs right is basic personal hygiene and sanitation. Amazing concept, more people should try it.

Endur
01-22-15, 00:12
So the moral of this wrong vs right is basic personal hygiene and sanitation. Amazing concept, more people should try it.

It is far too common. I see it in at least one stall every public bathroom I go to.

MBtech
01-22-15, 00:45
A four way stop sign? Does anybody remember how those work? How often do other drivers wave you on... flash lights.. be Mr. Nice Guy... you go... no you go... oh wait.. no my bad.. your turn... you go..

Damn! Who has the right of way? ... I mean rightaway

jpmuscle
01-22-15, 00:50
People that pronounce Stephen as SteVen. Do they talk on the teleVone (telephone)? The PH makes a "F" sound. Get over it, you name is SteFen.......
Haaaaaaaaaaa

Moose-Knuckle
01-22-15, 04:36

:lol:

Moose-Knuckle
01-22-15, 05:31
Permit me to steer the discussion back to word usage and far away from water closet etiquette or the lack there of . . .

A love/hate when you read forums dedicated to center fire semi-automatic carbines and guys use the term "build" as if they went and mined the ore and fired the forge to pour the parts themselves. In reality they are part assemblers.

MistWolf
01-22-15, 06:38
I hate that the Professor and Mary Ann were left out out of the song

Ryno12
01-22-15, 07:09
I hate that the Professor and Mary Ann were left out out of the song

They were eventually added. I think it was earlier episodes that didn't list them in the theme song.

http://youtu.be/yfSLuEj99d0

Crow Hunter
01-22-15, 07:36
The interchanging use of terror and horror and all the words associated with them. Terror is the extreme dread of something awful. Horror is the trauma caused by experiencing of something awful. You can't dread something that already happened, and you can't be traumatized by something you haven't even seen yet.

Proper uses:

"The villagers waited in terror as the barbarian hoards approached."
"The villagers looked on in horror as the barbarian hoards sacked their village."

"The young soldier was horrified by what he had seen in his first battle, and was terrified as he thought of the battle that lay ahead."

Terrible and horrible can be interchangeable sometimes though. You could say, "This is going to be a terrible storm," that is, this storm is going to cause a lot of anxiety and dread. Or you can say, "This is going to be a horrible storm," that is, the effects of the storm are going to traumatize people.

And of course, there's the version of the word terror that became misused in slang so much that the word officially changed its meaning in the English language: Terrific. Originally it meant "terror causing," the same way horrific meant "horror causing," now it means excellent, and the opposite of horrific. For example, If your boss tells you that you've been doing a terrific job, give yourself a pat on the back. If he tells you you're doing a horrific job, start writing your new resume.

And people who use hoard (big pile of stuff the barbarians want to take from the villagers) instead of horde.

;)

docsherm
01-22-15, 08:14
People that use the term "third world" wrong. It is not interchangeable with developing nation. Switzerland is a third world nation. It is a term from the cold war area meaning "not aligned with NATO or the WARSAW Pack.

And what is even worse is that so many people f@#$ it up that they even changed the dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/third+world

Ryno12
01-22-15, 08:32
People that use the term "third world" wrong. It is not interchangeable with developing nation. Switzerland is a third world nation. It is a term from the cold war area meaning "not aligned with NATO or the WARSAW Pack.

And what is even worse is that so many people f@#$ it up that they even changed the dictionary.

I don't like the term "Developing Nation"; it's too PC for me. "Shit Hole" seems more appropriate. ;)

markm
01-22-15, 09:38
People that use the term "third world" wrong.

I'd actually wondered where the term came from. And is there a second world you pass by on your way to a third world shithole? :sarcastic:

BoringGuy45
01-22-15, 09:40
And people who use hoard (big pile of stuff the barbarians want to take from the villagers) instead of horde.

;)

It was late, I wasn't thinking. :o

This one is understandable, as language has changed but the expression has not:

Curiosity killed the cat; originally interchangeable with "care killed the cat." Today it means that constantly putting yourself in unfamiliar situations is eventually going to get you in trouble. What it originally meant was that worrying and wondering about everything is going to give you a heart attack.

SteveL
01-22-15, 10:16

But, but......my name really is Steven! LOL

People that use the term "third world" wrong. It is not interchangeable with developing nation. Switzerland is a third world nation. It is a term from the cold war area meaning "not aligned with NATO or the WARSAW Pact (not Pack).

Fixed it for you. ;)

In all seriousness, I never knew that's where that term came from. I always thought it was a reference to the afore-mentioned shit hole.

MistWolf
01-22-15, 23:05
They were eventually added. I think it was earlier episodes that didn't list them in the theme song.

http://youtu.be/yfSLuEj99d0

They still got gypped!

Ned Christiansen
01-22-15, 23:13
Pajamas. At the store.

And ya just know they're made with flame retardant-treated material, so what can ya do?

SeriousStudent
01-22-15, 23:17
Pajamas. At the store.

And ya just know they're made with flame retardant-treated material, so what can ya do?

Soak them in enough kerosene, and they will stay lit.

I'm not talking about the pajamas, though.

2nd.amendment
01-23-15, 07:24
Data is plural ... Datum is singular. The correct use is "These/those data ..." not "This/that data ..."

Also related to data, "The data suggest ..." No they don't. Data can't behave. The researcher or analyst suggested.

sandman99and9
01-23-15, 18:57
something I have noticed that the Tards on the road have been doing the last few years is the hazard lights flashing while driving in the rain. If the rain bothers you so much that you need to slow down to a crawl and put your flashers on then get the **** off the interstate !!!

I was driving back to Orlando from Gainesville a couple weeks back while it was raining and every 4th car was doing 45mph with hazards flashing away while on the turnpike. I now understand what drives people to road rage :)

S.M.

MistWolf
01-23-15, 19:20
I was driving back to Orlando from Gainesville a couple weeks back while it was raining and every 4th car was doing 45mph...

Curious as to what so many Oregonians are doing in Florida

Averageman
01-23-15, 19:28
Multi tasking while merging.
I was edged off of the road by a Mom in a Mini Van who was eating a burger, talking on her cell and yelling at the kids in the backseat.
She gave me the annoyed eye roll look when I slapped the side view mirror.

MountainRaven
01-23-15, 21:22
Data is plural ... Datum is singular. The correct use is "These/those data ..." not "This/that data ..."

Also related to data, "The data suggest ..." No they don't. Data can't behave. The researcher or analyst suggested.

Lies. Data suggests useful things every week.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/Jagdraben/cde7c26e-ac8d-453b-838f-3c7e7fa8d3ce_zpsu4w25nv2.jpg

Jean-Luc just doesn't listen all the time.

:jester:

KTR03
01-24-15, 11:13
Its tenter hook not "tender hook".

Decimate means "killed one in ten". It doesn't mean total destruction.

Murder and kill are not the same. That enemy sniper in American Sniper was not "murdering" American soldiers, he was killing them.

ramairthree
01-24-15, 11:25
Yes, decimate and third world are perfect examples of words used wrong so much that the wrong meaning has become the intended meaning.

Koshinn
01-24-15, 14:35
"Travelling at a high rate of speed" when they mean "high speed". A high rate of speed means high acceleration, it has nothing to do with actual speed. But almost everyone does it.

When people say "vector" when they mean "direction." Again almost everyone does it.

Also the word "literally" has been so misused that an actual definition has been added so "literally" can mean "figuratively", which is almost its antonym.

Abraham
01-24-15, 14:53
Those who type "alot" or "noone" not realizing the required separation because their childish spelling isn't as good as a fifth grader.

They're as bad as those who use the word "there" when they should use "their" to show possession.

To be fair though, all of us screw up when posting - so ultimately getting worked up over misspelled words or grammar screw ups isn't really very important.

Ned Christiansen
01-27-15, 07:34
Here's one so pervasive I have at times doubted myself.

"Scientists have begun to hone in on the cause of....."

It ought to be "home" in.

"Hone in" is where you, me, and all our pals meet out in the barn to sharpen our knives and axes together.

Talon167
01-27-15, 08:37
When people use “I” instead of “me,” and “me instead of “I.” This is a particular problem on social media. Take the other person/pet/object out of the sentence… if it doesn’t make sense anymore you’re using the wrong one.

“Here’s a picture of Sparky and I.” Would you say, “Here’s a picture of I?” No, therefore it should be “Here’s a picture of Sparky and me.”

A couple correct examples:

Tom is going to the beach with Tim and me. (Take ‘Tim’ out and it still works.)
Bob and I are going to the bar. (Take ‘Bob’ out and it still works.)
Katy and me at the beach. (Take ‘Katy’ out and it still works.)

Another one is when one should use “he or she” versus “they’re.” There/they’re/there are plural. If you’re referring to one person, or a singular individual, you should use he or she.

Wrong example:

The person on lane six is hitting the bull’s-eye. They are very talented. (‘They’ and ‘are’ are both plural in this case.)

Correct:

The person on lane six is hitting the bull’s-eye. He or she is very talented.

Wrong:

If your child is good at math, they will probably be good at science.

Correct:

If your child is good at math, he or she will probably be good at science.

Expanded:

If you know the gender, you’d just use that side. For example: "Your son is good at math, he will probably be good at science." You definitely wouldn’t put ‘they’ in this case, so why would it make sense otherwise? Taking the gender out like example four doesn’t just make it plural. Consequently, if there are two kids you would make it plural. “If your kids are good at math, they will probably be good at science.”

One more. When you’re typing out numbers, if the number is below 10 you spell it out; if it’s 10 or above you put in the numbers.

Correct:

Went to the range and hit six out of 10 in the bull’s-eye. Then I tried again and only got eight out of 20.

I think this changes once you hit the millions or something, and you use some sort of hybrid… like 3.5 million. Don’t quote me on that, though.

Talon167
01-27-15, 08:45
Ok, one more.

Singular possessive is apostrophe “s.” Plural possessive is “s” apostrophe.

If there is one dog one bone: That’s the dog’s bone.

If there are two dogs one bone: That’s the dogs’ bone.

Boom… easy.

MBtech
01-27-15, 10:05
Redneck Vocabulary Words

Here are some of the more familiar redneck vocabulary words. You will notice that they are used in a sentence to better convey the dialect of the redneck culture.

Far: If he don’t turn that stove down, them chickens will catch far.

Bard: Cousin Jesse bard money from me and I ain’t seent him since.

Ranch: Go in the back of my truck and get that ranch!

Munts: It’s been four munts since I heard from my brother.

All: I’m gonna need me a all change on that truck.

Ahz: I can’t see nuthin’ out these ahz.

Bawl: You gotta bawl that water fo’ you put in the egg.

Own: Turn them lights own.

Nekkid: There he was nekkid as a jaybird.

Hep: “HEP! There’s a far!”

Shevuhlay: I got me a new shevuhlay pickup!

Tar: He got him a flat tar!

Uhmurkin: We’s uhmurkin, born and raised in the United States of Uhmurka!

Spearmint: Billy Ray doin’ some type of spearmint in school.

Clinics: You got any clinics so I could wipe my nose?

Co-Cola: Yall want some co-cola? It’s nice and cold.

Bar Code: Dems fightin’ rules at the bar.

Bare: Gimme a bare – Michelob!

Barium: Jimmy- they just barium at the cemetery.

Bleeve: Does you bleeve in ghosts?

Did: You got that fox Jim he did, not movin’ at all.

Fat: If’n y’all don’t stop fat’n I’m comin’ down there.

Gubmint: Casey dun got a gubmint job.

Farn: I ain’t unnerstand nuthin’ he sed…must be some farn talk.

Hale: What da hale is goin’ on here?

Hot: Heidi she got a broken hot.

Kumpny: We gots kumpny coming over tonight.

Likker: He drank mo’ likker than I does.

Phraisin: It’s phraisin in here!

Rats: They was fat’n for they rats in the Civil war.

Tarred: I bin workin’ all day. I sure am tarred.

Thank: I thank I wanna ice cold bare.

Seed: I ain’t never seed this before.

Zat: Zat yo’ car?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHnFheqTTdg

Koshinn
01-27-15, 10:10
Per "say" instead of "se".
"Peaked" my interest instead of "piqued."

Talon167
01-27-15, 11:18
^I was just going to say the "piqued" one.

When people say, "I could care less" instead of, "I couldn't care less."

When people spell it Megadeath instead of Megadeth.

http://www.megadeth.com/sites/megadeth.com/files/release_covers/RustInPeace_0.jpg

Doc Safari
01-27-15, 11:21
It's not as bad as it used to be, but people misuse "hopefully" all the time.

"Hopefully" is an adverb, like "she faced the future hopefully."

You can't use "hopefully" when you really mean "I hope."

So, hopefully that clears things up.

Doc. Holiday
01-27-15, 12:08
Yield sign some how is always spelled "Don't wait, just merge"

Wake27
01-27-15, 12:31
Yield sign some how is always spelled "Don't wait, just merge"

Usually everyone around me reads it as "stop." I hate when people stop at a yield sign even though there isn't a damn car coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 AE
01-27-15, 12:35
You and twenty other cars are behind someone doing 5-10 MPH lower than the posted speed limit on a two lane highway. Finally a "Passing Lane" approaches and you're thinking "Thank God about time!" The offending car pulls over to the right lane and as you start to accelerate past they all of a sudden become Mr. & Mrs. Funny Car driver as they smoke your ass uphill and pull back in front of you as the passing lane ends. Oh yeah, this goes on for miles and several passing lanes later as you contemplate running them off the road! This has become a commonplace occurrence here in Oregon.

Doc. Holiday
01-27-15, 12:40
Usually everyone around me reads it as "stop." I hate when people stop at a yield sign even though there isn't a damn car coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh jeez...yup been behind that guy too....joy

docsherm
01-27-15, 13:02
The stupid signs that say "Bridge ices before roads". Really? No Shit!

They are on every bridge in this country, even here in South Texas where it may ice once every 30 years for a day.

exkc135driver
01-27-15, 14:10
something I have noticed that the Tards on the road have been doing the last few years is the hazard lights flashing while driving in the rain.

I’ve noticed that as well. Perhaps the ‘tards in question are warning us that they are such bad drivers that they present a hazard to the rest of us?

Another one is when one should use “he or she” versus “they’re.” There/they’re/there are plural. If you’re referring to one person, or a singular individual, you should use he or she.

That has become so common that it is now accepted by most of the illiterati out there. For example (from a recent news article):

“A sheriff's department is doing whatever they have to in efforts to put new Glocks into the hands of their deputies -- including making gun control advocates mad.” Wrong. The sheriff’s department is singular, so the sentence should read “… is doing whatever it has to …”

Also (from the same article): “Sheriff Richard Roundtree, head of the Augusta, Georgia-centered Richmond County Sheriff's Department has some 500 employees including no less than 237 certified law enforcement officers patrolling the streets of that deep southern county.” Umm, no. The sentence as written states that the sheriff has some 500 employees. The sentence should read “The Augusta, Georgia-centered Richmond County Sheriff's Department, headed by Sheriff Richard Roundtree, has some 500 employees …”

Other pet peeves …

Using a noun as an adjective: At almost every gun show I have ever attended I have seen tables full of “Belgium” Brownings. I don’t drive a Germany car, my wife doesn’t have a Japan car, and I’ve never had a glass of France wine, so why would I buy a Belgium Browning?

Capitalizing non-proper nouns: In German, all nouns are capitalized. In English, only proper nouns are capitalized. For example: I went to Joe’s House. He showed me his Rifles and Pistols, after which we enjoyed a Glass of Wine. Then I went Home in my Car. That would be correct if written in German, but in English it just demonstrates that I am full of Scheiβ.

Calling things by their correct names: Hey, news media, the thing that you put in a gun to make it go bang is called a “cartridge” … a “bullet” is the thing that comes out of the pointy end of a gun. While we’re at it, the thing that is (sometimes) ejected out of a gun that the police find on the sidewalk is a “cartridge case,” not a “bullet casing.” Oh, by the way, “bullets” don’t come out of shotguns. But then, you people don’t know an assault rifle from a shotgun from a hole in the ground from your ass, do you?

Gender vs. sex: My sex is male, and my wife’s sex is female. Neither of us has a gender. Some languages categorize nouns of being of a masculine, feminine, or neuter gender, and in those languages a verb describing what that noun is doing may change to match the gender of the noun in question. Thus, I might have a dog whose sex is female, but the word “dog” might, in the language in question, be of the male gender.

When I see “gender” on a form, I scratch it out and write “sex” and then tick the box marked “M.” I’m tempted to write “none,” but that would be too difficult to explain to the gubmint.

Confusing i.e. and e.g.: “i.e.” is an abbreviation for the Latin “id est,” usually translated as “that is,” whereas “e.g.” is the abbreviation for “exempli gratia,” usually translated as “for example.” They not be meanin’ the same thing.

Writing “ect.” instead of “etc.”: The abbreviation is for “et cetera,” not “ec tetera.”

Disclaimer: this rant applies only to native English- (or sorta-English-) speakers. Those who were born elsewhere are free to murder English as they see fit. I would much rather listen to your ungrammatical, heavily-accented English than have to put up with signs in your language because you’re too damn lazy to learn mine.

Moose-Knuckle
01-27-15, 15:44
The stupid signs that say "Bridge ices before roads". Really? No Shit!

They are on every bridge in this country, even here in South Texas where it may ice once every 30 years for a day.

I always chuckle to myself in the summer when I'm driving and it's 100° F+ and I pass the "Bridges May Ice in Cold Weather" . . .

Lnxgeek
01-27-15, 16:01
ATM machine
PIN number
NIC card
LCD display
PDF format

MBtech
01-27-15, 16:07
Since we have rules where deer are only allowed to cross the road in specific locations, and on the subject of stupid signs...

My neck of the woods these would be on every mile marker.

docsherm
01-27-15, 16:07
ATM machine
PIN number
NIC card
LCD display
PDF format

And the best......SAT Test

Bubba FAL
01-27-15, 20:53
And the best......SAT Test

Let us not forget VIN Number. Also, at my place of employment, we have something called an EAN (European Article Number) which colleagues have the annoying habit of calling an EAN Number.

I have to confess, being semi-literate in German, I sometimes find myself capitalizing nouns in English.

Shiz
01-27-15, 23:38
" I could care less"

For ****s sake its "I couldn't care less".

+1

-slow people in the passing lane.
-signs that say "slow children at play". I roll down my window and laugh at them to their faces. Not like they get why. :)
-referring to Latins as Spanish. (my wife is Spanish, and it's fun to see her lose it)
-ex-specially (please don't pronounce the x) I bet these are the parents of the children the sign is talking about. :)

finally,
I hate these dip&*^* Brits thinking it's their role to judge us. Piers Morgan, Jamie Oliver, Simon Cowell all those goofy chefs with bad teeth all feel they need to come to America and set us straight. I won't even get into when Liam Neeson says he wants gun control...here.

ramairthree
01-28-15, 00:05
Since so many note traffic stuff.

Why is it someone will drive 10 miles below the speed limit on a regular road.
Then, when you finally come to a passing lane, they speed up to 5 miles over the speed limit when you want to pass them. Then they slow down again after the passing lane is gone.
Because it is straight, they are an idiot, why?

Also,
elderly drivers.

I get why they drive at 45 in a 55 to be safe.
But then why do they continue to drive 45 in a 25 mph zone.
One speed for everything where I am.

I also hate people that fly through parking lots.

For God's sake, in a zone full of vehicles that back out, stop suddenly, have people walking around, have kids running out, etc. would someone think doing 40 through the parking lot think it is a good idea?

Driving 200 yards at 15 mph is not going to take more than a few seconds longer to get where you are going than doing 40.

MountainRaven
01-28-15, 00:26
Went to the range and hit six out of 10 in the bull’s-eye. Then I tried again and only got eight out of 20.

I think this changes once you hit the millions or something, and you use some sort of hybrid… like 3.5 million. Don’t quote me on that, though.

This is actually bad style.

Correct style would be to either say that you got six out of ten, or you got 6 out of 10. You do not mix formats on numerals versus written on the same subject, in the same sentence (or even the same paragraph, IIRC). If memory serves, whether you use numerals or not is also dependent on what you're talking about. So a score would be 6 out of 10. Otherwise it would be written six correct answers out of ten. Similarly, you're supposed to write out the number up to one-hundred or there abouts. My memory is fuzzy on these things, it's been a long, long time since High School English.

As for the use of 'they': It is being used as a gender-neutral singular pronoun. This is also known as the 'singular they'. To me it's like using who versus whom - technically using who where you would normally use whom is incorrect, but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. At least not in spoken English.

Gender vs. sex: My sex is male, and my wife’s sex is female. Neither of us has a gender. Some languages categorize nouns of being of a masculine, feminine, or neuter gender, and in those languages a verb describing what that noun is doing may change to match the gender of the noun in question. Thus, I might have a dog whose sex is female, but the word “dog” might, in the language in question, be of the male gender.

When I see “gender” on a form, I scratch it out and write “sex” and then tick the box marked “M.” I’m tempted to write “none,” but that would be too difficult to explain to the gubmint.

I've met asexual people before, never met anyone who was genderless.

You do have a gender, but it is separate from sex. Sex is determined by biology, gender is or can be determined by biological sex, societal role and norms, stereotypes, &c. Meaning, in other words, that unless you are transgendered or transsexual, your gender will pretty much almost always be your biological sex. Even if it is technically incorrect, if what they want to know is your biological sex but ask for your gender instead. Even grammatically, you're gendered. Unless you're saying that you desire to be referred to as they....

:jester:

And English does have grammatical gender, though it is primarily a ruminant of older forms of English more closely related to Germanic languages than modern English. The most obvious example is ship, which is feminine, e.g.: "This is the USS Constitution, she is the oldest commissioned warship on earth."

ATM machine
PIN number
NIC card
LCD display
PDF format

UPC code.

ETA: Helpful grammatical links:

When to use i.e. in a sentence (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ie)
10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling)
How to use a semicolon (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon)
How To Us An Apostrophe (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe)
What it means when you say "literally" (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally)
How and why to use whom in a sentence (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/who_vs_whom)

Koshinn
01-28-15, 05:20
CAC card. I gave up correcting people on that after a while.

Oh also ethnicity vs nationality.
"What nationality are you?" "American."

Talon167
01-28-15, 07:11
This is actually bad style.

Correct style would be to either say that you got six out of ten, or you got 6 out of 10. You do not mix formats on numerals versus written on the same subject, in the same sentence (or even the same paragraph, IIRC). If memory serves, whether you use numerals or not is also dependent on what you're talking about. So a score would be 6 out of 10. Otherwise it would be written six correct answers out of ten. Similarly, you're supposed to write out the number up to one-hundred or there abouts. My memory is fuzzy on these things, it's been a long, long time since High School English.

As for the use of 'they': It is being used as a gender-neutral singular pronoun. This is also known as the 'singular they'. To me it's like using who versus whom - technically using who where you would normally use whom is incorrect, but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. At least not in spoken English.

On your first point: I disagree with you on this. I've seen in published material where they 'mix' showing digits and spelling digits in the same sentence. Secondly, 10 is where you start typing the digits... it's not 100. I'm 99% sure of that. I can't think of the last time I saw seventy-eight spelled out. If you have evidence of the contrary, I would be like to see it. (Not being sarcastic, I would sincerely like to see it.)

On your second point: Maybe it's been done wrong so often it's considered right... like the point of this thread. ;-) If it's singular, you need to use "he or she" or "him or her." "They're" by definition is "they are." "Are" is plural. You wouldn't say, "My son are running away," would you? No, because "son" is singular and "are" is plural. Also you wouldn't say, "Look at that kid over there, they is wearing funny shoes." Just doesn't make sense in context. And yes, I agree that saying "he or she" every time sounds goofy, but that's because people are lazy when it comes writing and speaking.

Again, if you can find documentation that says otherwise that wasn't revised because everyone was saying it incorrectly to accommodate, I'd be interested in reading it.

A couple more:

There is no apostrophe in a possessive "its." I don't know why, but that's how it goes. "I just got a rottweiler, but I'm not going to have its tail removed." The only time you should use "it's" when in the conjunction.

Also, commas save lives.

http://schools.nashua.edu/middle/lime/SiteCollectionImages/commas_save_lives.jpg

Ryno12
01-28-15, 07:38
Also, commas save lives.

http://schools.nashua.edu/middle/lime/SiteCollectionImages/commas_save_lives.jpg

...as long as everything is spelled correctly.

In this case, "Grandpa" is still dinner. ;)

jet66
01-28-15, 07:42
People using the salad fork for the dinner course AND dessert. Don't even get me started on the proper spoon fiasco.

Talon167
01-28-15, 09:06
...as long as everything is spelled correctly.

In this case, "Grandpa" is still dinner. ;)

Huh? "Let's eat grandpa" means lets kill grandpa and eat him. "Let's eat, grandpa" means, grandpa is going to help me eat this pizza.

Moose-Knuckle
01-28-15, 09:19
Huh? "Let's eat grandpa" means lets kill grandpa and eat him. "Let's eat, grandpa" means, grandpa is going to help me eat this pizza.

LOL.

In the image referenced, they misspell grandpa.

Talon167
01-28-15, 10:37
LOL.

In the image referenced, they misspell grandpa.

Haha, I didn't even notice. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. Okay, my bad but you guys know what it meant.

3 AE
01-28-15, 11:55
Commonly accepted way the vast majority of people who have any kind of interaction with firearms pronounce "Leupold" and "Hornady"! And NO I'm not going to spell it out for you. I quit correcting them and now I just walk away mentally noting to add them to my hit list! :suicide2:

MBtech
01-28-15, 12:44
You mean Loui-Pold and Horny-Dee ? Or is it Horna-Day?:jester:

VIP3R 237
01-28-15, 12:57
You mean Loui-Pold and Horny-Dee ? Or is it Horna-Day?:jester:

Sako = saw-ko not say-ko

MBtech
01-28-15, 15:09
In my neck of the woods it is "Weenchester" not "WINchester"

"Fedral" ammunition not "FedERal"

People go catfeeshin, not cat fishing.

They get the orl changed in the truck.

They warsh the truck.

Then go out on Fridee night.:blink:... Ya might be a Redneck...:jester:

MBtech
01-28-15, 15:34
If you speak all proper like, well than yowr jist one a dose dang edgimicated folks dat thinks yer bettern everbody else..
I don't need no college dagree ta have common cents. :jester:

mhanna91
02-15-15, 12:25
Was just reminded of this today and had to post it in this thread:

When people in the Equipment Exchange section insist that an item is "new in box" and demand full retail price when it has "only been mounted on rifle and put in the safe" or "only been taken to the range once". No man, it is used. You can't just put stuff back in the box and say it's "new in box" after you've already used it, installed it, turned it on, fingered it, let your dog knock it off the coffee table etc...It's "used in box" now. "New in box" would be an item you received and never opened. It grinds my gears when people are unrealistic and think they have a gold mine when selling used equipment. If I want to pay full retail I'll buy a brand new one myself.

Eurodriver
02-15-15, 14:25
Was just reminded of this today and had to post it in this thread:

When people in the Equipment Exchange section insist that an item is "new in box" and demand full retail price when it has "only been mounted on rifle and put in the safe" or "only been taken to the range once". No man, it is used. You can't just put stuff back in the box and say it's "new in box" after you've already used it, installed it, turned it on, fingered it, let your dog knock it off the coffee table etc...It's "used in box" now. "New in box" would be an item you received and never opened. It grinds my gears when people are unrealistic and think they have a gold mine when selling used equipment. If I want to pay full retail I'll buy a brand new one myself.

Amen. Another thing that drives me crazy is:

"Buy from me! Larue charges $210 + $15 shipping. I'm charging $222.50!"

Dude, buying from you is more difficult, slower, and more risky so you need to charge less even if it is "new in box" .

I generally don't buy anything second hand unless it is 75% or more off retail.

MBtech
02-15-15, 14:50
So I've had a sh*t day to begin with, freezing a** cold and walk out to a flat tire on my truck with a nail in it.

Anyway, I take the wife's car to go get a tire repair kit from Autozone, I go to leave the store after paying and get smacked in the damn face by the door from which a dumb **** is coming "IN" the "OUT" door like he's heading to put out a fire!!!

Very simple!!

These are not BIG WORDS that are hard to read or understand!!

My Dad would proud and amazed I was able to hold back my temper on that one especially considering I was already not a happy camper in the first place. :mad:

MountainRaven
02-15-15, 14:53
In my neck of the woods it is "Weenchester" not "WINchester"

"Fedral" ammunition not "FedERal"

People go catfeeshin, not cat fishing.

They get the orl changed in the truck.

They warsh the truck.

Then go out on Fridee night.:blink:... Ya might be a Redneck...:jester:

Fed'ral or fed-ral is pretty common.

To add to the brands: Ho-wa. It's Japanese. ホ and ワ. Ho and wa. Ho-wa. Not How-uh, like, "How a' ya doin'?" Ho. Wa. Howa. Just like how the sword is not cat-anna. Ka-ta-na.

So I've had a sh*t day to begin with, freezing a** cold and walk out to a flat tire on my truck with a nail in it.

Anyway, I take the wife's car to go get a tire repair kit from Autozone, I go to leave the store after paying and get smacked in the damn face by the door from which a dumb **** is coming "IN" the "OUT" door like he's heading to put out a fire!!!

Very simple!!

These are not BIG WORDS that are hard to read or understand!!

My Dad would proud and amazed I was able to hold back my temper on that one especially considering I was already not a happy camper in the first place. :mad:

The local Wal-Mart has two entryways. One set of doors at each is labelled "Enter" and one is labelled "Exit". 90% of everybody enters through the door labelled "Exit" and leave through the doors labelled "Enter".

An LGS has signs behind the counter that have targets on them and say, "Please aim here" and have the four firearm safety rules. Despite that, customers are always aiming the guns down the aisles or toward the other end of the store.

Talon167
02-15-15, 17:43
Some of these were probably mentioned, but just some more off the top of my head:

Yesterday, the criminal was "hanged," not "hung."

I "sneaked" into the room, not "snuck."

That "piqued" my interest, not "peaked."

A .gif file is pronounced "jif," like the peanut butter.

Moose-Knuckle
02-15-15, 23:20
The local Wal-Mart has two entryways. One set of doors at each is labelled "Enter" and one is labelled "Exit". 90% of everybody enters through the door labelled "Exit" and leave through the doors labelled "Enter".

One of my pet peeves is people who enter the wrong door, exit the wrong door, walk on the wrong God d**n side of the aisle etc. then have the audacity to look at you as if you did something wrong.

An LGS has signs behind the counter that have targets on them and say, "Please aim here" and have the four firearm safety rules. Despite that, customers are always aiming the guns down the aisles or toward the other end of the store.

One of many reasons I stopped going to gun shows, too many mouth breathers breaking the four rules. And there has been ND's at local shows here.

ColtSeavers
02-15-15, 23:29
People that think a turn signal is a right of way, instead of a signal of intent.

People doing their daily running/walking routine in the street, in the oncoming traffic lane, 3 FEET AWAY FROM THE GAWDAMN SIDEWALK, with their dogs and (god this one kills me) their kids in their running strollers. Yep, I'M the AHOLE for driving my vehicle in the street instead of up on that sidewalk there outta your way.

brickboy240
02-16-15, 16:16
How about the jerks that think a turn signal means...I need to speed up so this guy absolutely cannot change lanes.

Some moron is sitting a few car lengths back for miles and as soon as I put on my signal (rare around here) he zooms up so I cannot move over.

This is one huge reason some of us DO just start moving over when we put on the signal.

Hey, this is a big city with tons of traffic...you are not going anywhere fast to begin with...what is one more car in front of you?

Talon167
02-16-15, 19:33
It's a "moot" point, not a "mute" point.

MBtech
02-17-15, 00:32
Getting change at a gas station, grocery store, or a bank etc. and the teller or cashier licks their fingers before counting out the money to hand to you to stick in your wallet.

MBtech
02-17-15, 02:13
A shopping cart in the way sitting in a parking spot right next to a shopping cart corral someone was too lazy to walk an extra few feet!

Talon167
02-17-15, 07:16
Getting change at a gas station, grocery store, or a bank etc. and the teller or cashier licks their fingers before counting out the money to hand to you to stick in your wallet.

Or when you go somewhere and it goes something like this:

Cashier: "That'll be $6"
Me: "Here's $11."
Cashier: "Sir, you gave me too much. Here's your one back.... and four dollars change."
Me: "But I wanted a $5."
Cashier: *blank stare*

Ugh

MBtech
02-17-15, 23:22
Or when you go somewhere and it goes something like this:

Cashier: "That'll be $6"
Me: "Here's $11."
Cashier: "Sir, you gave me too much. Here's your one back.... and four dollars change."
Me: "But I wanted a $5."
Cashier: *blank stare*

Ugh

Or you have a $20 and some pocket change.

Total is $10.25

Hand them the $20 + a quarter and really make them think hard. :neo:

RIDE
02-17-15, 23:24
Or you have a $20 and some pocket change.

Total is $10.25

Hand them the $20 + a quarter and really make them think hard. :neo:

Then try a total of $10.21, then pay with $20.25. They'll look at you as if you grew two extra heads.

Shiz
02-18-15, 00:57
How about the Equipment Exchange. Does nobody read the rules? It's anarchy over there!!! ;)

pinzgauer
02-18-15, 08:10
How about the Equipment Exchange. Does nobody read the rules? It's anarchy over there!!! ;)

- Detailed Holster listings that never mention the model of pistol it fits

- Listings that mention or require F2F, but never state their location

- And used items listed with shipped costs higher than readily available new. Not scarce, in demand items, but stuff you can get from multiple sources.

These may be more of peeves than a rule violation, but they reduce the utility of EE.

MBtech
02-18-15, 17:33
People putting air in tires based on if they "look" low or by kicking it, or what is printed on the sidewall. That is the MAX psi for the tire!! Not what is recommended for the vehicle. Passenger cars do not need 60 psi in the tire! Go by the sticker on the door jam, inside gas cap door, owners manual etc. Use a tire pressure gauge not your foot or thumb!

JohnnyC
02-18-15, 17:58
Seems like most of these are just people whining about random stuff, not talking about things that are wrong, but have been accepted.

The intent really is this:

"The concept of Normalization of Deviance has been used to describe the cause of NASA’s flawed decisions that led to the Challenger space shuttle disaster. Normalization of deviance from safety begins when the victim has a lapse in one or more safety protocols (often as a result of peer, time and/or financial pressures) and nothing bad happens. The lapse reoccurs without incident and slowly the victim grows more accustomed to the deviant behavior. Eventually the victim becomes so accustomed to a deviation from safety standards that they consider their unsafe behavior to be acceptably normal. Ultimately one or more safety protocols are permanently deleted from their routine; enabling the victim have a serious, perhaps fatal, accident. To others, the accident is bewildering because the behavior seems obviously unsafe and the victim had enough training and certainly enough experience to "know better"."

This is specifically dealing with an incident(s) where someone is injured or worse, but the concept of normalization of deviance is the intention of the thread.

MBtech
02-18-15, 18:28
Damn it, and here I thought it was about misuse of words/language and random stuff? :neo:

"This is specifically dealing with an incident(s) where someone is injured or worse, but the concept of normalization of deviance is the intention of the thread" (random stuff) and good point.

For example,

Or cache,

For not word stuff,

Does that make most of the posts in this thread wrong. :confused:

MBtech
02-18-15, 18:48
Supposed to: Do not omit the d. Suppose to is incorrect.

Used to: Same as above. Do not write use to.

Toward: There is no s at the end of the word.

Anyway: Also has no ending s. Anyways is nonstandard.

Couldn't care less: Be sure to make it negative. (Not I could care less.)

All walks of life: Not woks of life. This phrase does not apply to oriental cooking.

Chest of drawers: Not chester drawers.

For all intents and purposes: Not intensive purposes.

3 AE
02-18-15, 21:06
Supposed to: Do not omit the d. Suppose to is incorrect.

Used to: Same as above. Do not write use to.

Toward: There is no s at the end of the word.

Anyway: Also has no ending s. Anyways is nonstandard.

Couldn't care less: Be sure to make it negative. (Not I could care less.)

All walks of life: Not woks of life. This phrase does not apply to oriental cooking.

Chest of drawers: Not chester drawers.

For all intents and purposes: Not intensive purposes.

MBtech, Were you an English Major? Seriously, I've learned more about the proper use of English from your posts than I can remember in all my years of secondary schooling! Keep it going. I'm guilty as charged in my misuse of the English language from you examples. I hang my head in shame. LMAO on "Woks of life"! :lol: Well done sir.

MBtech
02-19-15, 01:29
MBtech, Were you an English Major? Seriously, I've learned more about the proper use of English from your posts than I can remember in all my years of secondary schooling! Keep it going. I'm guilty as charged in my misuse of the English language from you examples. I hang my head in shame. LMAO on "Woks of life"! :lol: Well done sir.

No sir, no English major, just live in Redneckville USA :blink:

Frailer
02-19-15, 10:53
Disregard. Reading comprehension problem.

MBtech
02-19-15, 11:07
arctic – Note the C after the R. Say /ARK-TIK/, not /ar-tik/.

preventive – The word has three syllables. A common fault is to add a syllable. Say PRE-VEN-TIVE/, not /pre-ven-ta-tive.

sherbet – The word has only one r in it. Say /SHER-BET/ not /sher-bert/.

(Guilty, I love orange sherbert) :)

Frailer
02-19-15, 11:24
...preventive – The word has three syllables. A common fault is to add a syllable. Say PRE-VEN-TIVE/, not /pre-ven-ta-tive.

This example suits the thread subject perfectly, given the fact that "preventative" has become a full-blown, fully accepted word.

MBtech
02-19-15, 11:30
This example suits the thread subject perfectly, given the fact that "preventative" has become a full-blown, fully accepted word.

Yep, people have me do "preventative" maintenance on vehicles.... wait or is it Maint-Nints?:p

Abraham
02-19-15, 11:38
It's "by accident" - NOT "on accident"

It's "probably" NOT "prolly"

When I nod my head, hit it!

tog
02-19-15, 11:45

I paid enough taxes to own the frigg'en road and I will drive in any lane I choose and at any speed I choose. Screw all of you young'uns, LOL!

Big A
02-19-15, 13:19
When people say the last four numbers of a phone number as two numbers instead of four.
Example: 123-4567 the last four digits are four, five, six and seven. Not forty five sixty seven. It is impossible to dial double digit numbers on a phone!

Or the talking heads on TV that say September 11th like this: "The nine one one attacks" I even hate it when they say "Nine Eleven" instead of September Eleventh.

Drives me insane...:mad:

3 AE
02-19-15, 15:04
This is happening more and more to the point it's accepted to be the norm. Call a business number and get this,

"Press One for English."

WTF! There is something basically wrong with this here in the good old USA. Complained about this to my neighbor on a "Let's Get Drunk Together Night" awhile back. A week later I call him and get this on his answering machine, "Hello, you've reached Jeff and Mary. Press One for English, otherwise stay on the line until our Spanish speaking representative gets back to you." Damn near pissed my pants LMAO!

MBtech
02-19-15, 16:38
This is happening more and more to the point it's accepted to be the norm. Call a business number and get this,

"Press One for English."

WTF! There is something basically wrong with this here in the good old USA. Complained about this to my neighbor on a "Let's Get Drunk Together Night" awhile back. A week later I call him and get this on his answering machine, "Hello, you've reached Jeff and Mary. Press One for English, otherwise stay on the line until our Spanish speaking representative gets back to you." Damn near pissed my pants LMAO!

Or you press one for English and STILL can't understand them!:fie:

Moose-Knuckle
02-19-15, 23:25
Or you press one for English and STILL can't understand them!:fie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhBuXvTtRk

MBtech
02-20-15, 06:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhBuXvTtRk

Hahaha! Exactly! :lol:

MBtech
02-22-15, 23:17
Heard this one today... "My sediments exactly"

sen·ti·ment - a view of or attitude toward a situation or event; an opinion, a feeling or emotion.

Sediment - is solid material that is moved and deposited in a new location. Sediment can consist of rocks and minerals, as well as the remains of plants and animals. It can be as small as a grain of sand or as large as a boulder. Sediment moves from one place to another through the process of erosion.

"My sentiments exactly"

AKDoug
02-23-15, 01:52
When people say the last four numbers of a phone number as two numbers instead of four.
Example: 123-4567 the last four digits are four, five, six and seven. Not forty five sixty seven. It is impossible to dial double digit numbers on a phone!

Drives me insane...:mad: The last four digits of my company phone are 2327. If I say it two, three, two, seven they inevitably get it wrong for some dumb reason. If I say twentythree, twentyseven, there is never an issue.

AKDoug
02-23-15, 01:54
My biggest annoyance is those that say John Henry for their signature. It's JOHN HANCOCK dammit.

Abraham
02-23-15, 11:30
John Henry was a steel driving man.

Averageman
02-23-15, 14:59
My biggest annoyance is those that say John Henry for their signature. It's JOHN HANCOCK dammit.

Or if you're in the Infantry you can simply place an X on it.

Koshinn
02-23-15, 15:11
I sometimes intentionally write:
Makes cents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azKfAfZeSpM

Doc Safari
02-23-15, 15:17
"You've got another thing coming" like the Judas Priest song.

The phrase is actually "You've got another THINK coming." It's used in the context of a person saying, "If you think ________________, you've got another think coming."

It's meant to be deliberately ungrammatical for emphasis.

http://grammarist.com/usage/another-think-coming/

MountainRaven
02-23-15, 16:54
Just saw this in another thread (all suspects are guilty until proven innocent, the names have been redacted to protect the guilty):

Incorrect:

It is just below the first thread on each post.

Correct:

It is just below the first post on each thread.

m4carbine.net hosts a series of Forums (or Fora for the Latin-inclined). Each Forum is dedicated to a different subject, such as AR General Discussion or Terminal Ballistic Information. Some of these Forums have Sub-Forums like the Equipment Exchange and the Local & Area Discussions.

Each Forum hosts a series of Threads, with each Thread having a different topic or subject for discussion. And each Thread is made up of one or more Posts - including but not limited to the original Post or OP.

:)

ETA: I'm also pretty sure that Posts are made in Threads, but given the newness of the intardwebz, I'll let it pass. ;)

HD1911
02-23-15, 19:44
John Henry was a steel driving man.

Haha that's awesome. It's just my hammer suckin' wind, it keeps me breathin'...

MBtech
02-24-15, 13:34
Driving on a two lane road and a garbage truck is stopped over in the oncoming lane. Stupid **** enters MY lane to go around the garbage truck head on at me honking, cussing, flipping ME off!!

BoringGuy45
02-24-15, 13:48
"The customer is always right."

This is SUPPOSED to mean that you go above and beyond to give good service and that you are willing to be flexible in meeting customer needs. It means that the company is willing to bend their rules and policies within reason in order to be accommodating. It shouldn't mean that unruly or rude customers are rewarded for poor behavior and that absolutely anything goes. If, for example, a customer orders a burger and complains that it's too cold before he eats it, the customer being "right" means you throw it back on the grill till it's warm and maybe throw in a free desert for his trouble. It doesn't mean comping a meal after it's been completely eaten because the customer THEN decides that it was too cold.

It also doesn't mean always siding with customers over your employees.

2nd.amendment
03-13-15, 14:19

I had to come back to this thread to talk about EEs and how the "wrong" is so common (not this EE in particular).

If I have something, I pretty much always say "for sale - not looking for trades". Invariably, when trades come up (again not so much with M4C), there's a line of asshats who want to offer the POS items at a premium for what you have listed at a discount.

Just recently, on my local firearms forum, some DB took it to a new level. He sent me a PM with a trade offer for the AR (highend) I had posted. In my ad, I mentioned a potential partial trade for a specific handgun. He happened to have one, so I was optimistic.

He then sent me a link to the handgun he had posted . . . then the games began. It was a nicely customized handgun, but even with customization it was nowhere near the value of my AR. Long story short, he kept pushing for his gun plus a little cash. When I said that didn't seem fair and told him what a realistic value+cash was, he never responded to my PM. Then he deleted his ad and immediately reposted it with a price reduction that was exactly what I said the value should be and would have put the trade terms exactly where I said they should be.

First time I had seen someone go as far as to post a BS ad so he could use it in negotiating, until the moment he failed. Then he deleted it and came back to reality. I never contacted the guy again, but wanted to say - "Really? Do you have no integrity? Or are you just a self-serving $&*%?"

I just love that so many in the firearms community try to screw over the next guy. Is it so hard to just have integrity.

Rant over - until, with my luck he reads this.