PDA

View Full Version : Kalashnikov Care USA?

WickedWillis
01-20-15, 17:22
Kalashnikov Concern, not care, Rob Ski and the awesome guys over at AK operators union posted a picture on Facebook in front of a Kalashnikov USA banner, stating that later this year they will start producing Rifles in America. Am I crazy to really like the idea of this? Anyone have any more information?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AkOperatorsUnion?fref=photo

Uprange41
01-20-15, 18:36
I'm stoked to see some more info on this!

WickedWillis
01-20-15, 18:44
I'm stoked to see some more info on this!

I am really just hoping we don't get crappy re-treads. I really hope they are fully in-spec rifles, my bank account will be murdered however.

JulyAZ
01-20-15, 21:28
I found this interesting piece of info...

"The gun will be made by American company RWC, which is the official importer and distributor of Kalashnikov AK-47s.....

RWC said it is not permitted to have any contact with the Russian company, Kalashnikov Concern, which makes the AK-47s....

"We are not permitted to pick up the phone and to talk to them," said Thomas McCrossin, CEO of RWC, which owns the Kalashnikov USA brand. "We were forced to stop doing business with them because of the sanctions.""

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/news/kalashnikov-made-in-usa/index.html?category=home

SeriousStudent
01-20-15, 22:00
So, an American-made AK with (hopefully) Magpul furniture.....

Da, tovarish.

Eurodriver
01-20-15, 22:07
American made AKs are generally known for being shit.

Let's hope these aren't.

Chatterbox
01-20-15, 22:19
Sounds like they will have nothing in common with Russian made AKs, besides the name.

JulyAZ
01-20-15, 22:22
Sounds like they will have nothing in common with Russian made AKs, besides the name.

That is what my understanding is as well

SeriousStudent
01-20-15, 23:19
American made AKs are generally known for being shit.

Let's hope these aren't.

Would that be American made, or American assembled?

A fine hair to be split, but pretty much what I was thinking. We have all read dozens of horror stories about the drunken monkey's with sledge hammers at CAI. Rooshian parts, but sloppy American "assemblers".

But if you had some smart people, with good CNC machinery and plans, I wonder if they might turn out different?

It would also likely cost more than a good AR from Colt, BCM et al. It would be one of those "fun guns", but that would really be it for me. I have a friend who has dived deep into those waters, and runs nothing but AK pattern long guns. He's pretty freaking good with them, too. He'd drool over this like Rosie O'Donell at a chicken wing buffet catered by Hooter's.

SteyrAUG
01-21-15, 00:16
Would that be American made, or American assembled?

A fine hair to be split, but pretty much what I was thinking. We have all read dozens of horror stories about the drunken monkey's with sledge hammers at CAI. Rooshian parts, but sloppy American "assemblers".

But if you had some smart people, with good CNC machinery and plans, I wonder if they might turn out different?

It would also likely cost more than a good AR from Colt, BCM et al. It would be one of those "fun guns", but that would really be it for me. I have a friend who has dived deep into those waters, and runs nothing but AK pattern long guns. He's pretty freaking good with them, too. He'd drool over this like Rosie O'Donell at a chicken wing buffet catered by Hooter's.

My worry is about domestic manufactured parts with quality like Green Mountain barrels. My other concern is cost. I'm unsure if anyone can produce a product of the same quality as a Bulgarian SLR for the same price or less. The barrel seems to be the one piece that domestic manufacturers just can't duplicate.

Nodak can knock out flawless receivers all day long for the price of a pair of sneakers. Other parts can also be made cheaply or taken from parts kits in new or exc. condition and there are plenty of qualified AK builders out there. The barrel seems to be the fly in the ointment.

Before the barrel ban you could build a quality AK in the $500 range. The parts kits really haven't increased in price dramatically, but the price of an original factory barrel can now cost as much as the parts kit effectively doubling the cost of an AK build.

But if somebody can start cranking quality cold hammer forged AK barrels that are in spec, then we might have something. I just worry it will cost as much as a Bulgarian SLR. I guess we shall see.

LibertyNeverDies
01-21-15, 06:24
I wonder if these are going to be reverse engineered or if they have an actual set of blueprints?

Does anyone know why anyone hasn't contracted DD, FN, or Ruger to make a run of AK barrels?

I hope this isn't a distributor willing to push out junk taking advantage of their buyer network.

WickedWillis
01-21-15, 10:24
While I was initially excited about this, the more information that comes in makes me more and more skeptical. That is the beautiful thing about this forum though, you guys really do call a spade a spade and it's always solid intel.

Steyr, is there something out of spec on the green mountain barrels? The new Century C39 V2 (Which has had very good reviews so far) has a green mountain barrel, I didn't know virtually anything about them. I am personally way less versed on the AK platform when it comes down to it, so there are probably tons of things that I have no clue about.

Uprange41
01-21-15, 13:05
I'm skeptical that it'll be the same quality as actual KC rifles, however, they have as good a chance as anyone to put together an awesome rifle and the incentive to not do it poorly. If it's solid and has the right specs, I'll be more than happy to buy one. Russian and Bulgarian rifles are my go-to because they build them well, not because of the country they come from. If I can get the same thing from a domestic manufacturer, I won't look any further. Time will tell. But between this, PSA, and Century building rifles here and the aftermarket support from companies like ALG and Magpul's, the domestic AK market is exploding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM Engineer
01-21-15, 13:42
I just worry it will cost as much as a Bulgarian SLR. I guess we shall see.

I would happily pay the price of a Bulgarian SLR, if I could get the same quality, in a stamped rifle WITHOUT the stupid side folder.

TacticalSledgehammer
01-21-15, 16:05
2015 is the year of the ak for sure at shot show from what I've been seeing. I was hoping to see Daniel Defense dive head first into this platform after reading the article in recoil magazine a few months back. Marty had talked about new platforms. I'm guessing the first is their 7.62 rifle though.
Anyways with magpul featuring their new steel reinforced ak mag, Geissele making ak triggers, PSA making Aks, Century using milspec barrels, among other things, 2015 is shaping up nicely.

notorious_ar15
01-21-15, 19:50
My worry is about domestic manufactured parts with quality like Green Mountain barrels. My other concern is cost. I'm unsure if anyone can produce a product of the same quality as a Bulgarian SLR for the same price or less. The barrel seems to be the one piece that domestic manufacturers just can't duplicate.

Nodak can knock out flawless receivers all day long for the price of a pair of sneakers. Other parts can also be made cheaply or taken from parts kits in new or exc. condition and there are plenty of qualified AK builders out there. The barrel seems to be the fly in the ointment.

Before the barrel ban you could build a quality AK in the $500 range. The parts kits really haven't increased in price dramatically, but the price of an original factory barrel can now cost as much as the parts kit effectively doubling the cost of an AK build.

But if somebody can start cranking quality cold hammer forged AK barrels that are in spec, then we might have something. I just worry it will cost as much as a Bulgarian SLR. I guess we shall see.

Exactly my concern (re: quality barrels). Would be nice if that ban was lifted...

black22rifle
01-23-15, 12:07
So are these going to be the exact same guns make made in russia, but just made here with the same parts?

w3453l
01-23-15, 12:35
No, they will have 0 Russian parts. That is unless they have parts they acquired before the ban, but my understanding is that they have absolutely no contact with the original Kalishnakov Concern in Russia.

It's basically a 100% US made AK with just the name "Kalishnakov"

RAM Engineer
01-23-15, 12:39
Any info as to whether or not they will have hammer forged, chrome lined barrels? Barrel quality seems to be the big differentiator in the AK world.

WickedWillis
01-23-15, 13:03
No, they will have 0 Russian parts. That is unless they have parts they acquired before the ban, but my understanding is that they have absolutely no contact with the original Kalishnakov Concern in Russia.

It's basically a 100% US made AK with just the name "Kalishnakov"

That is exactly what I have read as well.

JulyAZ
04-08-15, 22:37
Interesting interview from Kalashnikov Concern CEO in regards to the products being in the USA...

It would seem the name Kalashnikov is just being exploited with no one here to challenge the use of it due to the sanctions imposed against Russia. Shady business practices by RWC.

EXCLUSIVE: Alexey Krivoruchko, the CEO of the Kalashnikov Group, Has Answered YOUR Questions -
"TFB Reader Fracsid and Steve ask: What is the relationship between Kalashnikov USA and Kalashnikov Concern?
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/08/exclusive-alexey-krivoruchko-the-ceo-of-the-kalashnikov-group-has-answered-your-questions/

The fact of the matter is that RWC company for several years has been the exclusive distributor of Kalashnikovs in the United States. After the imposition of sanctions the business of importing Russian-made weapons manufactured by the Concern was suspended.

To date, because of the imposed sanctions, the company has no rights to continue to cooperate, and even to contact representatives of Kalashnikov Concern. These measures only cause regret and impact primarily American consumers.

The contract with RWC signed in January 2014 for 5 years outlined delivery of up to 200,000 weapons per year. It is clear that RWC is interested in maintaining the US market share; that is why they filed an application for trademark registration.

Previously, the company announced independent production of Kalashnikov assault rifles in the United States. It was also reported that they established a “Kalashnikov US” corporation. The decision to create “Kalashnikov US” and begin production of Kalashnikov assault rifles in the United States was made by RWC independently. There was no consulting between RWC and Kalashnikov Concern.

For further action on the part of the Kalashnikov Group, including on the issue of similarity of the brand names, consultations are underway with lawyers and experts in the field of international law aimed at analyzing and monitoring the situation.

The situation is complicated by the fact that the rights to produce Kalashnikov rifles were issued to a number of countries, including the United States, in the 1970s, and by the elapse of time they have lost their validity. Since the 1990s the issue of protection of intellectual property and the trademark of Kalashnikov was not dealt with, and as the result, the brand found itself in a catastrophic situation from a legal point of view.

At the moment, we have started the process of trademark protection, but it is a long process intertwined with numerous litigations. In the US, the trademark had not been registered, and due to the anti-Russian sanctions, the process of registration in the United States was suspended.

It is worth noting that a similar situation exists around the American machine gun AR15, better known as M16, which is used as common stock by the US Army. The license to manufacture this rifle was issued to a number of countries, and despite the fact that it expired, it is still being produced in over 30 countries around the world.

These issues are difficult to overcome, and one of the tools is the production of innovative products, which will be drastically different from competitors.

Our company is already actively working on modernizing the line of produced weapons.

Cooperation with RWC, as mentioned above, as well as any business negotiations are currently impossible due to the sanctions."

Firefly
04-09-15, 05:06
No dog in the AK game but if they cranked out a quality AK-107 or AK-12; I might buy it.

If they took to the AR game and they put out Kalashnikov ARs that would be somewhat awkward.

Digital_Damage
04-09-15, 07:16
Meh, don't care as long as someone makes the freaking threads concentric.

Would prefer US attention to detail, instead of "it is good enough" work from Kalashnikov.