PDA

View Full Version : Beretta brings back a limited production frame safety 92...the Centennial

PGT
01-21-15, 12:31
Steel frame, SAO, full checkering, Brigadier slide...think a Billennium for 2015. Limited to 500 units and in honor of Beretta's first handgun, the M1915 from (you guessed it) 1915.

92 Centennial

Beretta is pleased to offer the 92 Centennial. This Limited run of 500 guns commemorates the 100th Anniversary of Beretta producing semi-auto pistols. Each of these commemorative pistols is encased in a uniquely designed ammo can displaying the 92 Centennial logo. The highly polished pistols are single action only and take design cues from the Beretta Model 1915, which is the first Beretta produced semi-auto pistol. To learn more please visit your authorized Beretta Dealer or the Beretta Galleries.

Photo gallery:

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-centennial-photo/

PS - Kudos to Bill Wilson at Wilson Combat for his work on the BrigTac....not sure of his involvement (if any) on the Centennial but the inclusion of a Brig slide is likely 100% due to the BrigTac being released.

lowprone
01-21-15, 12:48
A instant collectible that I will never own, now if they ever manufacture this
in a for the masses version ????

Mr blasty
01-21-15, 13:05
No! No! No! No! When will they freaking learn! Make one with a damn rail, parkerize it and make it a standard offering!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

PGT
01-21-15, 13:06
That's the hope. I've got two frame safety guns already and love them, so, I likely wouldn't buy one but I think if they were hand-fit a $1500 price point might sell. The Centennial is likely going to sell for well above that, given the features. Still...the Billy's didn't sell at $1200 when new so only collectors will likely snap up the Centennial. A "less pretty" version with a Bruniton or Inox finish would be interesting to see.

RAM Engineer
01-21-15, 13:31
If it's a limited edition anything, I'm not interested. I have no desire to pay speculators' and collectors' prices on any gun that I intend to shoot and could not replace in the future if it wears out.

okie john
01-21-15, 13:46
Make one with a damn rail, parkerize it and make it a standard offering!

This.

Okie John

PGT
01-21-15, 13:51
If it's a limited edition anything, I'm not interested. I have no desire to pay speculators' and collectors' prices on any gun that I intend to shoot and could not replace in the future if it wears out.

I'm with you on that. I don't see much point in owning both this and a Billennium; same gun.

brickboy240
01-21-15, 14:38
That frame safety should be standard from now on.

Having that safety way up on the slide is terrible and a huge reason I won't carry one of those pistols.

BBossman
01-21-15, 14:39
Beretta is 490 years old... its thinking and swiftness to action are commensurate with its age. I'm a Beretta fan, owning several 92 series pistols and an ARX100. I will never understand their processes. They sell ARX100 accessories in Italy that they don't sell here... but... they don't sell the ARX100 in Italy.

No! No! No! No! When will they freaking learn! Make one with a damn rail, parkerize it and make it a standard offering!

PGT
01-21-15, 14:50

Having that safety way up on the slide is terrible and a huge reason I won't carry one of those pistols.

I think you underestimate how big that safety lever is. It makes a wide pistol super-wide. What's needed is a slim option, like the first-gen 92 ca. the 1970's. Here's a frame-safety conversion on a 92D model, by Josh at AGW (he uses original spec levers)

http://i.imgur.com/fiyK6lF.jpg

Here's a pic of my Billy to show how wide it is (yes, the sight went missing which is why I took the pic):

http://i.imgur.com/1RgFtpFl.jpg

jpmuscle
01-21-15, 14:56
Wtf is with limited run nonsense?? I don't get it.

IMO it just rubs people the wrong way who really want to buy into a fun due to the features but can't because they don't have the connections/cash to do so.

crazymoose
01-21-15, 17:46

My thoughts exactly. If this (or a more plain version) becomes a permanent fixture in their line, I'd strongly consider one. As it stands, not even Wilson can make me take their current lineup seriously.

Sam
01-21-15, 18:52
One Beretta rep said this gun will be priced around $3000. It is a commemorative model and won't be made as a regular normal use gun.

opmike
01-21-15, 19:11
All that teasing...for this? Not even a whisper about a 92 Compact of some kind or anything like that for us mere mortals who might not want to lug around coach gun? We have $3000 dollar, limited edition pimp gun in a ammo box.

Talon167
01-21-15, 19:45

I was thinking the same thing. I bet 499/500 will sit in a safe and never be fired. Shame....

notorious_ar15
01-21-15, 19:58
Wtf is with limited run nonsense?? I don't get it. IMO it just rubs people the wrong way who really want to buy into a fun due to the features but can't because they don't have the connections/cash to do so.

My thoughts exactly. If this (or a more plain version) becomes a permanent fixture in their line, I'd strongly consider one. As it stands, not even Wilson can make me take their current lineup seriously.

This irritates me as well. I have a 92 step slide that I've been holding onto for a project - might as well hold onto it now... I don't see the need for the ambi safety levers, either.

Too bad, as I was really excited when I first saw the title of this thread.

teutonicpolymer
01-21-15, 21:48
This is freaking stupid. The thing people have wanted (frame safety Beretta) they decide to make but in ultra limited quantities. The things people don't really care about (PX4 storm, the 92 series without dovetail sights, etc) they make in large quantities.

I don't think anyone has ever said that a slide mounted decocker or safety is a good thing compared to a frame mounted version, and yet here Beretta is still cranking them out anyways.

This is equivalent to Glock dropping the ball on the 9mm single stack deal.

brushy bill
01-21-15, 22:18

exactamondo

brickboy240
01-22-15, 11:09
That thing is nice but not worth 3 grand...sorry.

crazymoose
01-22-15, 13:58
That thing is nice but not worth 3 grand...sorry.

Keep the reinforced slide, frame safety, steel frame. Ditch the target sights and all the prettiness... solid gun at similar price point to the regular 92 series. Of course this is Beretta- they're too busy filling military contracts and pushing designs that look like sci fi props to listen to the consumers. Although in their defense, they did bring back the Brigadier after years of dragging their feet.

Bret
01-22-15, 16:17
I saw the title of this thread only to be disappointed. 500 for $3000 each.:confused:

+1, it's like they asked "What's the number one thing we can do to keep people from buying our guns?" Someone answered, "Put the safety on the slide so that it rotates backwards versus most other guns instead of on the frame where most people want it." And they've been doing it ever since. What are they afraid of, more sales?

brickboy240
01-22-15, 16:26
Beretta makes beautiful shotguns (semi-autos and doubles) but their auto pistol and carbine options are odd.

The CX4 and PX4 are great examples.

PGT
01-22-15, 18:38
Taking a page out of CZ's playbook; a frame safety 92 on a poly frame w/ adjustable backstraps would be a killer sub-$500 gun. I'd buy one for each level of the house.

policetested
01-23-15, 05:39
Beretta in Italy runs Beretta USA with a tight grip. They build what the Europeans think the American rabble need, even though the rabble count for a huge portion of the profits.

According to the marketing folks Beretta USA gets requests for novel items such as fiber optic sights for the 90 series/PX series for action shooting, requests for standard SAO 92s, etc...but Italy insists not needed. The Wilson 92GSD only happened because of the block purchase.

Beretta has designs on the M9A3 being a multi version pistol. Beretta Defense Tech folks said odds are good there will be a G version.

Someone posted there should be a compact 92...they had one in the catalog for years.

Sad to hear folks think the PX4/CX4 are lacking. They are both wicked accurate, but Italy again controlled these like they were gold. The PX4 does have interchangeable grips, but Italy insisted they be an option for purchase, not standard. That crappy thumbhole stock on the CX4 is there to meet import points...Italy wont allow production in US.

RAM Engineer
01-23-15, 10:30
And HK is the one who get's a bad rap for being out of touch with their biggest market.

opmike
01-23-15, 13:22
Someone posted there should be a compact 92...they had one in the catalog for years.

Yeah, with a fixed front sight and a FS style safety. That has ZERO appeal to myself and many others for a carry gun as I'd have to ship it off to have the freaking front sight milled and a tritium vial inserted. That's a completely bullshit extra step for a modern handgun. What if you want a different height front sights to adjust POA/POI with your ammo of choice? You're SOL. Don't even get me started on the cost of addressing the goofy manual safety. It isn't worth the cost/hassle to me at the moment, so that's why I haven't bought the current M9A1 Compact or whatever that they're making even thought it's been in the catalog "for years."

When I said I wanted to see something about a more compact 92, I was talking about one with the feature sets we're seeing on the guns like 92G-SD, M9A3, Brig Tac, etc.

Beretta's entire "FS" line of pistols are getting more and more antiquated with each passing year. The only reason we're even here talking about this company is because they've seemingly started to add features that people actually want instead of ones they'll just put up with or otherwise tolerate.

PGT
01-23-15, 13:48
Beretta Defense Tech folks said odds are good there will be a G version.

The press releases and ECP made it clear its machined for conversion to G, just like the 90-Two. I've converted mine to G and am hopeful the M9A3 will ship with the parts needed (ala CZ P07/09) but likely they'll be available separately to convert. Hopefully cheaper than the $140 it cost me on the 90-Two.

ramairthree
01-23-15, 14:04
And HK is the one who get's a bad rap for being out of touch with their biggest market.

Beretta is like Office Space in the sales and marketing execution.

Bret
01-23-15, 15:47
The Wilson 92GSD only happened because of the block purchase.
How many are needed for a block? I'd be up for some funding.

PGT
01-23-15, 17:25
How many are needed for a block? I'd be up for some funding.

The initial run was 1,000 units

Bret
01-23-15, 18:32
That's interesting. I was thinking 500 myself. Am I to infer that they're doing another run? If so, did the first run stand alone or did Beretta require more than one run? I'd be confident that a run of 1,000 Beretta 92FS's with frame mounted safeties priced at the going price of regular 92FS's would sell out in very short order. The thing that I don't really have any idea about is the selling price from Beretta to the buyer. And, would they require a larger run at this lower price point? The risk involved in the whole thing is that Beretta might decide it's such a good idea that they produce more, thus undercutting the deal. In order to make it viable, there would have to be some sort of agreement with Beretta that they wouldn't offer another frame mounted safety model for a given period of time. The feasibility of the whole thing would depend on Beretta's willingness do make such a deal. Small companies are easy to deal with. Subsidiaries of large companies, not so much. How much do they need the business? BTW, I'd call it the Beretta 92FMS.

DanTSX
01-30-15, 06:53
Perhaps Betetta will apply this frame to a mainstream production gun after the limited run sells, and hopefully funds whatever tool-up needs to be done to make a regular production gun profitable.

I want to look at this as a good thing, and a sign of things to come. Beretta seems to at least want to be more responsive to the market the past year and a half. Maybe we will get our wish, and see a frame safety 92 variant with a MSRP under $800.

Mr blasty
01-31-15, 18:37
As someone once said on here, beretta couldn't market free sex.

PGT
02-21-15, 20:07
I hope they do come out with a mainstream option. The Centennials sold out before even hitting the market so clearly the demand is there (mostly collectors, I'm sure). Problem is....you can buy a PT-92 for $500. A Beretta frame safety isn't going to compete for the mainstream buyer at 3x that price.

CHawks_12
02-21-15, 20:15
Anyone hear about Beretta's new side arm for the Army. Looks pretty cool for a Beretta that is

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Bret
02-23-15, 20:05
you can buy a PT-92 for $500.
I just bought one for $366 out the door. Yes, I'd rather have a Beretta, but they would have to get their price right.