PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Threat to OC'ers...

Spurholder
01-22-15, 07:15
Good work, sheepdog.

Oh, wait...

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2015/01/20/shopper-tackles-man-with-gun-at-wal-mart/22067325/

Cliffs: Guy tackles OC'er while screaming "GUN!" Sheepdog gets arrested and charged with battery.

wildcard600
01-22-15, 07:24
Article says the gun was under a coat and the clown made him in the parking lot getting out of his car.

I also dont believe FL has open carry. Sounds more like the CC'ers better hide better cause overzealous "heroes" like ths dude are out there.

ryr8828
01-22-15, 07:26
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this guy was carrying concealed according to the article. I also think that open carry is not legal in Florida yet.

Spurholder
01-22-15, 07:37
You guys are correct. OC (with some exceptions) is illegal in FL. Looks like the guy was made a little earlier...

Averageman
01-22-15, 07:47
Male version of Mrs Kravitiz decides to get froggy. I don't give a hoot about your personal feelings about my gun, MYOB.
I have to tell you, if you jump me in a store because I printed or you think you got a peek at part of my pistol, you're really liable to see the whole thing as we do some over fifty MMA on the floor.
This guy really tempted Darwins Theory.

markm
01-22-15, 07:47
Too bad numb nuts didn't get shot for his stupidity.

JBecker 72
01-22-15, 08:01
Florida!

SteyrAUG
01-22-15, 17:23
Jesus Christ, how many people did all the rescuers sweep playing hand the gun off?

I'd have fought hard.

Leaveammoforme
01-22-15, 17:44
Florida!

Eurodriver got swept to the floor like a chump! :)

Outlander Systems
01-22-15, 18:26
Jesus Christ, how many people did all the rescuers sweep playing hand the gun off?

I'd have fought hard.

...ahem...

"rescuers"

SteyrAUG
01-22-15, 20:46
...ahem...

"rescuers"

In their minds. But yeah, attackers.

TAZ
01-22-15, 21:08
Wow. All sorts of fail there. Hope the tackler gets convicted of assault or whatever, but I doubt any jury would do so.

Really exemplified the need for grappling skills. Being blind sided like that puts you in a serious bind.

Honu
01-22-15, 21:30
my kids are 5 and 10 but Gracie has a camp here in AZ and does a great kid program and hoping the continue till they are older figure 10+ years of BJJ might be quite interesting if someone took someone who was high up the ladder in BJJ or wrestling etc...

kinda wonder the way they took the gun from him also ? I would seek charges on all involved big time and push it hard to drive the point home that its not good to do that kinda stuff also sue the crap out of them in civil court after

also does make me wonder what I would have done

kinda wonder if the gun guy got free then shot the guy ! considering the circumstances might have been justified since he got the gun away from him ? figuring someone trying to take my gun is life threatening

I know some folks back up piece would have been out and bad things would have happened

Moose-Knuckle
01-23-15, 01:51
Too bad numb nuts didn't get shot for his stupidity.

Yup, so instead of calling 911 when you think you see a bad guy with a gun you take matters into your own hands and assault a fellow citizen. This Melvin is asking to be shot . . .

jet66
01-23-15, 06:18
I'm surprised we haven't seen any media reports on this being a racial thing. They probably don't want to bring attention to the fact that there are POC that also believe in their right to defend themselves. What a conundrum for the agendas...

Palmguy
01-23-15, 06:47
Shannon Watts, head of the Bloomberg astroturf group MDA, was incredulous that the dude who committed assault was arrested.
(http://twitchy.com/2015/01/21/gun-grabber-shannon-watts-fires-off-what-may-be-her-dumbest-tweet-ever/)

Eurodriver
01-23-15, 07:04
Eurodriver got swept to the floor like a chump! :)

Hahaha. I'm not that old man!

Honestly, this happened not far from me and I wasn't even surprised enough to make a thread about it. Things like this just happen around here. :fie:

GlockWRX
01-23-15, 10:21
Two things struck me about this:

1. In many jurisdictions, including my state, lethal force is authorized to defend against an attempt to disarm. For example, if someone makes a grab for a police officer's gun he/she is justified to use force up to and including lethal force to maintain control of his/her firearm. Technically, the victim in this case could have used lethal force to maintain his weapon.

2. A security holster would have kept these knuckle heads from getting the gun out, or at least slowed them down. Might be something to consider, especially for open carry.

Lesson learned: I occasionally carry a fixed blade on the off hand side primarily for weapon retention reasons. I will carry it more consistently now. In the past I have taken weapon retention and disarmament training, along with some hand to hand. Most of those skills have lapsed some and I should spend more time keeping them current.

I hope the attacker gets the full brunt of the law on this.

Averageman
01-23-15, 11:04
Two things struck me about this:

1. In many jurisdictions, including my state, lethal force is authorized to defend against an attempt to disarm. For example, if someone makes a grab for a police officer's gun he/she is justified to use force up to and including lethal force to maintain control of his/her firearm. Technically, the victim in this case could have used lethal force to maintain his weapon.

2. A security holster would have kept these knuckle heads from getting the gun out, or at least slowed them down. Might be something to consider, especially for open carry.

Lesson learned: I occasionally carry a fixed blade on the off hand side primarily for weapon retention reasons. I will carry it more consistently now. In the past I have taken weapon retention and disarmament training, along with some hand to hand. Most of those skills have lapsed some and I should spend more time keeping them current.

I hope the attacker gets the full brunt of the law on this.

It would appear that Texas might very well go OC this year as I have hoped it would for some time. It will require a new set of holsters for my carry guns for the reasons you have stated.
I do now carry a fixed blade @ 9 in case it becomes a grappling event and like you haven't trained in a bit, but my last H2H real deal was just a couple of weeks ago and ended by a head butt to the nose after I had a couple of ribs broken.
I really think the guy might want to rethink his training and perhaps get at least his situational awareness skills sharpened a bit.
In the end, this is just another reason why I hate WalMart

SteyrAUG
01-23-15, 13:14
http://www.tampabay.com/resources/images/dti/rendered/2015/01/0435036936_14536571_8col.jpg

Michael Foster, 43, of Lithia, was arrested Tuesday and charged with battery for tackling a Walmart patron he believed was up to something sinister because he was carrying a gun. The patron, Clarence Daniels, 62, of Seffner, had a concealed carry permit and was legally allowed to have the gun in public.[Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office]

From the Walmart parking lot at 11110 Causeway Boulevard, Michael Foster, 43, of Lithia had watched Daniels, 62, take from his car the handgun — for which he holds a concealed carry permit — and place it on his hip underneath his coat, Hillsborough sheriff's deputies reported.

As Daniels entered the store, a label for the coffee creamer in his pocket in case he forgot the brand, Foster tackled him to the ground and placed him in a choke hold, sheriff's spokesman Larry McKinnon said.

"He's got a gun!" deputies said Foster shouted.

"I have a permit!" Daniels yelled back multiple times, McKinnon said.

The men struggled and were separated until law enforcement arrived on scene just before noon. Foster was arrested and charged with battery.

"Unfortunately he tackled a guy that was a law-abiding citizen," McKinnon said. "We understand it's alarming for people to see other people with guns, but Florida has a large population of concealed weapons permit holders."

I wonder why the other volunteer attackers weren't charged. And on one hand I'm glad the usual race baiters aren't here to make this a race issue, but on the other hand I'm a bit disappointed. The victim here was 100% legal and completely within his rights.

Hopefully this gets the message out a little bit.

TAZ
01-23-15, 13:24
It's even decades since I've had any H2H training and practice. Bad TAZ!!! Need to find some affordable place to train that as well. I too carry a folder on the weak side, but I need more training / practice. May upgrade to a small fixed blade if I can.

One more reason why I like AIWB carry. Kind of hard to flash that location inadvertently.

bighawk
01-23-15, 14:13
That guy is lucky he didnt get shot

Averageman
01-23-15, 14:54
They used the Baker Act to take him in for 72 hrs. of observation.
I can only guess things went South when they got him in the Station House

We can always hope Nurse Ratchet gets ahold of him in the nuthouse.

SteyrAUG
01-24-15, 00:32
One more reason why I like AIWB carry. Kind of hard to flash that location inadvertently.

People...especially those in Florida...just need to get used to the fact that a LOT of us are carrying. Unless somebody is doing something "threatening" a gun doesn't mean a damn thing except they are armed. Kinda like how people in cars are "driving" but not necessarily a threat like a drunk driver or out of control senile driver until the exhibit indicators that they are a problem.

They used the Baker Act to take him in for 72 hrs. of observation.
I can only guess things went South when they got him in the Station House

We can always hope Nurse Ratchet gets ahold of him in the nuthouse.

Not surprised to find out he has loose screws.

Wish we had a way to reach Clarence Daniels, I'd love to purchase a retention holster for him. If he lived in my zip code I'd make the offer to come train with us. At his age he shouldn't have to put up with this crap. Not too many people are still jacking Walmart at 62.

Bulletdog
01-24-15, 17:52
Florida is by far the most entertaining state in our Union.

Bulletdog
01-24-15, 17:57
People...especially those in Florida...just need to get used to the fact that a LOT of us are carrying.

You guys have been carrying since what, 1986? Excepting Vermont, you guys were the leaders in the shall issue CCW laws. You guys made all the gun-grabbers warning of "wild west shoot outs in the streets over every fender bender.." look like complete idiots as your crime rate plummeted after CCW was passed. You'd think that after almost 3 decades that people in FL would already be used to this idea...

I'VE been carrying a FL permit since the 90's for cryin' out loud!