PDA

View Full Version : New Spyderco Reverse Fixed Blade

sadmin
01-22-15, 08:24
With input by both Douglas and Janich, this is one of the best things Ive seen come out of SHOT.

I currently carry a PMoore BOB but have been eyeballing a Tang blade as the BOBs handle is a little small in the palm, but this MSRP has me sold.

http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/2015/01/21/stirke-that-reverse-it-spydercos-new-fighting-blade/

Overall Length:7.74"
Blade Length:3.47
Cutting Edge:3.10"
Blade Thickness:0.14"
Blade Material:CTS-BD1
Blade Style:Hawkbill
Blade Grind:Flat
Blade Finish:Satin
Edge Type:Plain
Handle Length:4.27"
Handle Material:G-10
Handle Color:Black
Weight:3.60 oz.
Sheath:Boltaron
Knife Type:Fixed Blade
Brand:Spyderco
Model:FB34GP

teutonicpolymer
01-22-15, 11:32
There look to be a ton of new knives coming out this year, and I like a lot of them

SeriousStudent
01-22-15, 22:40
I am looking forward to picking one of these up. I have a Clinch Pick and trainer, and was delighted to hear about this project.

And the MSRP is not bad, either.

Vic303
01-31-15, 07:19
Oooh...Me like.....:p

Voodoo_Man
01-31-15, 07:21
While I am not a huge fan of reverse blades, I am a huge fan of cheap blade sets with trainers.

Up1911fan
01-31-15, 15:29
While I am not a huge fan of reverse blades, I am a huge fan of cheap blade sets with trainers.

I don't see anything about a trainer mentioned anywhere?

newyork
01-31-15, 16:52
I feel like the pikal style reverse blade thing is overblown. Most regular knives can be held in pikal position but also offer all the regular forward grips.

Voodoo_Man
01-31-15, 18:45
I don't see anything about a trainer mentioned anywhere?

Unless I am looking at it wrong, the top blade looks dull with no sharp blade.

sadmin
01-31-15, 19:02
I feel like the pikal style reverse blade thing is overblown. Most regular knives can be held in pikal position but also offer all the regular forward grips.

I agree with you here. I do like the extended handle on these as opposed to the egg shape of the clinch pick. It's also nice for me since I cringe at the price tags on some of other knives that are essentially for poking holes in someone's face. I don't care about high quality steel for this role. You have some damn fine knives though Sir, I always look forward to your FS threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Cid
01-31-15, 19:36
Unless I am looking at it wrong, the top blade looks dull with no sharp blade.

They are both live blades. They are trying to show that the grips may be reversed by the user for a forward grip if so desired.

Voodoo_Man
01-31-15, 22:41
They are both live blades. They are trying to show that the grips may be reversed by the user for a forward grip if so desired.

Ah, one looks dull.

Owell, they should probably get on that since a fixed blade aint worth shit without a trainer.

El Cid
02-01-15, 06:36
Ah, one looks dull.

Owell, they should probably get on that since a fixed blade aint worth shit without a trainer.
Spyderco has been pretty good about offering trainers for other designs. Maybe it will be available in time. They do sell a Pikal trainer for their "broken" version.

http://www.knifehog.com/spyderco-p-kal-red-g-10-trainer.html?CAWELAID=330010870000013987&gclid=CLSKw7jgwMMCFWIV7AodXDcAfQ

I'm very interested in this new fixed blade version. A good friend who has formal training on the subject keeps telling me how effective it is as a system. Most reverse edge blades are from custom makers and therefore at a price point I struggle with until I decide if it's for me.

newyork
02-01-15, 07:35
I agree with you here. I do like the extended handle on these as opposed to the egg shape of the clinch pick. It's also nice for me since I cringe at the price tags on some of other knives that are essentially for poking holes in someone's face. I don't care about high quality steel for this role. You have some damn fine knives though Sir, I always look forward to your FS threads.

Thanks buddy. If FS means for sale, yeah, I can't afford one without selling another sometimes as my eyes are bigger than my wallet.

SpyderMan2k4
02-01-15, 07:44
Spyderco has indeed been very good about offering trainers for their "combatives" knives (or maybe people choose them for combatives BECAUSE they have trainers.) Either way, I'd be shocked if a trainer isn't offered before too long.

As far as reverse edge usage and methodology, there are a few major advantages (in my opinion). When used right, specifically for unattached striking, RE hits REALLY hard... A lot harder than forward grip. At the extension of the strike, it lands at a really sneaky angle. Finally, and IMO most importantly, it allows you to keep your hands up in front of your face for defense without the risk of stabbing yourself in the face if you do block an incoming strike.

In terms of RE being overblown... It just depends. A lot of guys carry knives specifically for defensive purposes. For them it may make sense to have a purpose built knife. You CAN hold most knives with a RE grip, but it MIGHT not be as fitting, and this potentially not as secure as a grip specifically designed for that grip.

Similar idea goes with the quality of the knife itself. It's easy to say carrying a knife just to poke holes in someone isn't worth spending money on quality... Well many feel that a defensive knife, like a gun, ISN'T where you want to skimp. Those people want the absolute best performance possible and want to leave as little at risk as possible.

newyork
02-01-15, 10:21
Agree on the choosing quality issue. If you pick a standard knife that is well suited for carry and defense and can be carried in pikal grip, it is no worse suited than a reverse grip and can be used in forward grip much better.
Your hands should be up in front no matter what and the shape of the knife or grip doesn't change that principle.
No doubt reverse grip has its advantages. Sneaky strikes maybe but ripping pulling and tearing is their main plusses.
Negatives are shorter reach which if you want to get a longer reach without being hit back is a negative.

I also don't agree that a trainer that matches the exact shape of the knife you are using is an absolute need at all. I know of someone that teaches using a hard foam rubber, nylon wrapped fake knife or training knife. It isn't a replica of any knife. I trust his abilities and knowledge whole heartedly and wouldn't want to fight him with 5 of my friends.

SpyderMan2k4
02-01-15, 10:33
Exactly how do you hold a knife forward grip, have it in front of your face, and not risk stabbing yourself upon getting hit? I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely asking. As I play with a pen at work I can't find a method that avoids self stabbing, gives me a decent guard, and is in a good position to strike.

I should have clarified that my post was specifically regarding knife jabs in terms of the sneaky angle. In my experience, with properly executed knife jabs, reach is the same. That surprised me greatly because I thought for sure FG would be further. If there is an advantage in reach for one or the other, I was unable to find it.

newyork
02-01-15, 10:47
If using a pivot (like a boxer pivots his lead foot), depending on how much you pivot, with knife I lead hand in forward grip, the reach is much farther than in reverse grip.

Moose-Knuckle
02-03-15, 00:04
I have my share of Spyderco folders, but why a thumb whole on a fixed blade?

SpyderMan2k4
02-03-15, 07:12
It's literally their trademark... While it started as a functionality design, it's now as much a branding feature as anything. That's my guess at least.

newyork
02-03-15, 09:02
It's literally their trademark... While it started as a functionality design, it's now as much a branding feature as anything. That's my guess at least.

Agreed.

Moose-Knuckle
02-03-15, 09:29
They make other fixed blades without it.

Kind of figured it was their signature feature (thumb hole) but serves no function on a fixed blade IMHO.

SeriousStudent
02-03-15, 22:57
Sal and the excellent people at Spyderco do use the thumbhole on all their knives as a trademark, to help protect the intellectual property of their designs.

They have a good forum of their own, it's well-run and full of good folks. Check it out.

I have no idea how many of their knives I have, I'd have to open one of the safes and count. My "no kidding, I have to have an indestructible blade" is one of the old full-size Manix folders. They NAILED the heat treat on that thing. I have frequently grabbed a handful of Ethernet cables - maybe 15 or 20 in a bundle - and sliced them in half the way you would slice open an envelope. When I'm doing chores inside a data center, that's what I carry along with my wee little Surefire L1.

I am a fan of their stuff. I'll probably snag a Karahawk to take to next month's Steve Tarani knife class.

SpyderMan2k4
02-16-15, 18:51
If using a pivot (like a boxer pivots his lead foot), depending on how much you pivot, with knife I lead hand in forward grip, the reach is much farther than in reverse grip.
I wanted to revisit this after a training session yesterday. I admit my previous statement that forward grip and reverse grip had the same reach was subjective. I actually measured each, and forward grip yielded exactly one inch more reach.

I can get a little more extension out of FG if I don't have a fist locked down and I perch my thumb (which of not a strong grip at all for maintaining control of the knife). So yes, I concede the FG does yield a slightly further reach on a jab... How much depending on how the knife is held. With a "monkey holding a screwdriver" grip, I only gain one inch. For me personality, the other advantages of reverse grip outweigh the one inch reach advantage that forward grip offers.

newyork
02-17-15, 17:38
Foot turned 90 degrees. Not leaning in. Proper grips. Much more than an inch difference. Any more reach in reverse grip and You'd be throwing a punch and the point wouldn't lead.

Bad pics and setting but...

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/rslamiroult/IMG_20150217_051218.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/rslamiroult/media/IMG_20150217_051218.jpg.html)

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/rslamiroult/IMG_20150217_051237.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/rslamiroult/media/IMG_20150217_051237.jpg.html)

Foot is on the same spot on the floor in both pics.

SeriousStudent
02-17-15, 20:52
Foot turned 90 degrees. Not leaning in. Proper grips. Much more than an inch difference. Any more reach in reverse grip and You'd be throwing a punch and the point wouldn't lead.

Bad pics and setting but...

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/rslamiroult/IMG_20150217_051237.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/rslamiroult/media/IMG_20150217_051237.jpg.html)

Foot is on the same spot on the floor in both pics.

I'll give you ten bucks to shoot some video doing that, with the theme from Psycho playing.

jpmuscle
02-17-15, 20:55
See this is why NYC has knife control lmao.... I jest I jest.

x2 on video tho.

newyork
02-18-15, 04:29
I'll give you ten bucks to shoot some video doing that, with the theme from Psycho playing.

Only place in the house I could take the pic alone. Can't believe I didn't even think of Psycho in there haha!

newyork
02-18-15, 04:32
See this is why NYC has knife control lmao.... I jest I jest.

x2 on video tho.

Glad I don't live there. Their knife laws are far worse than mine. Philadelphia doesn't allow knives to be carried at all. Went there and thought hey its PA, should be good. Nope.

Anyway, my point was to show that your reach in both grips, with the point or edge of the knife, is not the same. Sorry for the bad pics and you're welcome for the humor.
;)

Voodoo_Man
02-18-15, 08:15
Glad I don't live there. Their knife laws are far worse than mine. Philadelphia doesn't allow knives to be carried at all. Went there and thought hey its PA, should be good. Nope.

Anyway, my point was to show that your reach in both grips, with the point or edge of the knife, is not the same. Sorry for the bad pics and you're welcome for the humor.
;)

...That's not true...

newyork
02-18-15, 08:55
That's what I read in their knife law. I decided to be safe. Maybe it was an old law I looked at that has been changed.

Shao
02-18-15, 13:00
Exactly how do you hold a knife forward grip, have it in front of your face, and not risk stabbing yourself upon getting hit? I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely asking. As I play with a pen at work I can't find a method that avoids self stabbing, gives me a decent guard, and is in a good position to strike.

I should have clarified that my post was specifically regarding knife jabs in terms of the sneaky angle. In my experience, with properly executed knife jabs, reach is the same. That surprised me greatly because I thought for sure FG would be further. If there is an advantage in reach for one or the other, I was unable to find it.

Exactly why I think the whole concept is stupid. I was always taught to keep the dangerous part of your weapon pointed towards the enemy. I've been EDC'ing a Spyderco P'Kal since 2007 and I wield it blade out. When waving, it naturally falls into your hand blade facing out anyway. I've actually had a discussion with Sal Glesser on the subject. He carries a P'Kal on occasion and from what I gathered from the conversation, he doesn't agree with the technique Shivworks is teaching either. The knife is actually more comfortable to hold blade out for me anyway.

I have a pretty extensive martial arts training background and I would have little problem stuffing that blade back into my attacker if they came at me with the blade facing inward. It's just a bad idea all around.

newyork
02-18-15, 13:07
I don't disagree with Shivworks teaching or reverse grip. I have a ton of respect for both actually . Both have plusses and minuses. I just think a knife made to be held in reverse grip is overblown and unnecessary. Any knife (almost every) can be held in pikal grip. The technique isn't new and specific to Shivworks.

Shao
02-18-15, 13:44
I don't disagree with Shivworks teaching or reverse grip. I have a ton of respect for both actually . Both have plusses and minuses. I just think a knife made to be held in reverse grip is overblown and unnecessary. Any knife (almost every) can be held in pikal grip. The technique isn't new and specific to Shivworks.

The only time I would hold my blade in a reverse grip like that is if a 350 lb. gorilla-man got me in some kind of bear hug. I would carve my name in cursive in his kidney area.

newyork
02-18-15, 14:10
Haha! He'd be pissed. Held your knife like what though? In my pic? That was only to show reach at its maximum, not as a hold or technique.

Shao
02-18-15, 14:18
Haha! He'd be pissed. Held your knife like what though? In my pic? That was only to show reach at its maximum, not as a hold or technique.

Just reverse grip in general - as in upside down, blade facing you... If you keep the knife at torso level, you run a serious risk of having your knife side-kicked into your sternum. Any higher and it's the neck. Seriously, the only use I see for that technique is if someone already has you under some form of control and your knife hand is free somehow. The cons greatly outweigh the pros in my book.

Voodoo_Man
02-18-15, 14:22
Just reverse grip in general - as in upside down, blade facing you... If you keep the knife at torso level, you run a serious risk of having your knife side-kicked into your sternum. Any higher and it's the neck. Seriously, the only use I see for that technique is if someone already has you under some form of control and your knife hand is free somehow. The cons greatly outweigh the pros in my book.

The situation should determine the grip you take. Some require a reverse grip for application-specific reasons.

newyork
02-18-15, 14:24
Sorry I misread you. I thought you were saying the opposite. I agree I many ways. I am in no position to go into depth as I've not been learning very long but, reverse grip can be good for pulling, ripping and tearing. Such as an unexpected grabbing of an extended arm (controlling the guard) to pull off balance and cause damage simultaneously.
Having said that my teacher isn't big on reverse grip either. He only teaches some techniques in case a knife is picked up that way in an oh shit moment, not as a primary grip or go to.

newyork
02-18-15, 14:50
Agreed Voodoo.

sadmin
02-18-15, 15:04
I was under the impression that reverse grip was primarily chosen when distance is closed on you and you aren't carrying a weapon that has no distance limiting factors like a gun. Do you gents prefer forward grip even if your CC? I guess I feel like these little reverse grip sub 3.5" provide me with better retention and I'm still able to use the knife hand for controlling. I'm a noob at this though so I'm interested.

SpyderMan2k4
02-18-15, 15:45
I've rotated through a number of options, but for the most part whatever folder I have is drawn to RGEI. If I'm only carrying one knife, it is the p'kal. Most of the time now a days I have a clinch pick as the more dedicated defensive knife, and a self waved SOG Trident for utility, but still set up to draw to RGEI for social encounters if needed.

It is ultimately personal preference and playing with options and see what you like best. FG and RG can both work great for both attached and unattached strikes.

SeriousStudent
03-04-15, 19:30
Question: Anyone got any info regarding a trainer for this model?