PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt and Bender Short Dot 1-4x Magnification Question.

NICOLA
07-01-08, 20:57
Can a Schmidt and Bender Short Dot 1.1-4x be used at the 1.1x setting and not produce any magnification blur while the user is wearing corrective lenses or contacts?

caporider
07-01-08, 21:57
I'm not quite sure what you're asking... I have two Short Dots and I shoot with corrective lens inserts in my eyepro. I don't recall ever seeing any blurring. Besides, you can set up the Short Dot diopter to eliminate the need for corrective lenses if you want (unless you have astigmatism, in which case your lenses need to correct for this specific vision defect).

davemcdonald
07-01-08, 22:15
Yes. I have shot my ShortDot II LE with and without my glasses and you can manually focus the scope to your eyes and I do not remember ever seeing any blur at the 1.1 setting. I hope this covers your question.

Dave

Erick Gelhaus
07-02-08, 10:07
I wear corrective lens, both day & night. No issues at 1.1x with either the Gen I Short Dot or with the Flash Dot with those lenses.

threebanger
07-02-08, 19:57
in answer to you question yes. 1.1 simply means 1 to 1 or both eyes open. There is a focal adjustment on the ocular lens as well (remove the lens cap to see it).

Nick S
07-02-08, 20:29
1.1 simply means 1 to 1 or both eyes open.

No it doesn't.

threebanger
07-03-08, 05:35
No it doesn't.

You are correct. After reading how I worded it.

Anywho, the point I was trying to get across is @ 1.1 it's an eyes open optic & that's how they taught us to remember it. A 1 for each eye.

Robb Jensen
07-03-08, 07:12
IIRC S&B made it a 1.1x because of distortion at true 1x.
The ability to shoot with both eyes open at different levels of power on the scope varies on the particular shooter. I use a 1.5-5x scope on my 3gun rifle (most of the time), with that particular scope I can go up to around 3x with both eyes open.

FWIW I'm left eye dominant and shoot longguns (and handguns) right handed. On high powered optics like 10x to 42x I have to close my left eye. It causes some eye strain on my right eye and if I'm shooting prone at some really far distance many times I'll just shoot left handed as I actually shoot better left handed with precision rifles.

HolyRoller
07-03-08, 10:10
According to LAV in this article linked from S&B's site

http://www.schmidtbender.com/images/scopes/ShortDotq.pdf

true 1x would have been nice, but ghost images appeared at 1x, which a bump up to 1.1x cured. The slight magnification is noticeable in use but doesn't seem to be a real problem.

My SD works great with glasses or contacts, one eye or both eyes, although of course you should use both eyes whenever possible. Astigmatism may distort the dot a little.

threebanger
07-03-08, 15:16
right right. My understanding was that with any variable optic true 1x power is impossible due to the nature of the optic (IE multiple lens) but the 1.1x for all purposes is 1x power.

Thanks for the info gents.

NICOLA
07-05-08, 16:15
Thanks a ton, guys.

I have been trying to get an answer to this question on variouus boards for months now, with little productive feedback.

This board is just great! :D