PDA

View Full Version : beretta 92

evilmonkey
07-02-08, 03:16
thinking about carrying my beretta for concealed in my shop. I usally dont carry a full size pistol when Im out in public just my little G26. I always carry a full size in my shop because of it being a not such a good neighborhood. I usally carry my G17 but im thinking about carrying my beretta instead, but the only thing is the damn trigger on it! Whats the best way to get the trigger right on this pistol? I would rather find some after market parts to drop in but if sending it off to a smith would be better I want someone who knows what they are doing! So suggestions please! By the way no cracks at it being to bulky, I have freakishly large hands and I usally wear loose fitting shirts!:D

lindertw
07-02-08, 06:08
Assuming your Beretta is an F or FS model, you could swap in a DAO model hammer/main spring to get a lighter yet still reliable trigger pull. You can read a bit about it here (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227049).

Hope this helps...

Dave L.
07-02-08, 06:22
Stick with your Glocks. I also own a 92, IMHO you are better off with a G17/G19.

Robb Jensen
07-02-08, 06:37
thinking about carrying my beretta for concealed in my shop. I usally dont carry a full size pistol when Im out in public just my little G26. I always carry a full size in my shop because of it being a not such a good neighborhood. I usally carry my G17 but im thinking about carrying my beretta instead, but the only thing is the damn trigger on it! Whats the best way to get the trigger right on this pistol? I would rather find some after market parts to drop in but if sending it off to a smith would be better I want someone who knows what they are doing! So suggestions please! By the way no cracks at it being to bulky, I have freakishly large hands and I usally wear loose fitting shirts!:D

Send it to Dave Olhasso
http://www.olhasso.com/PS/services.htm

rubberneck
07-02-08, 08:54
Two things. First if you carry a G26 than I would stick with the G17 in your shop. Same manual of arms and the same trigger just a different size.

The second is if you go with the Beretta don't send the gun out for a trigger job just yet. First try changing the mainspring with a factory D spring or one of Olhasso's competition springs. Believe it or not you get your largest improvement in the weight of the trigger pull just from that. Olhasso is really good if you want to shorten the length of pull and reset. If this is just a plain carry gun than there really is no reason to spend close to $200 (shipping both ways + trigger work) when you can do 85% of what he does yourself. That extra 15% makes all the difference in a game gun and is worth it if that is the guns intended use, but it isn't (IMHO) if it is just a carry gun.

ToddG
07-02-08, 09:43
+1 rubberneck.

While I'm personally a fan of the 92G, if your EDC is a Glock then you'll be much better off sticking with Glocks. (I'd say the same thing if your EDC was a 1911 patterns, or M&P, or HK, or whatever)

If you really do want to use the Beretta in the shop, just drop the 92D spring in it. The improvement will get you about 80% of what you'd see from a fully tuned trigger. And you know the D spring is reliable, since it is the same spring designed to drive the hammer in stock 92D/96D Berettas.

If you don't like the action because it's a TDA gun, then no one is going to be able to 'smith that out of the pistol. Again, this would be another reason to stick with your Glocks.

telecustom
07-02-08, 11:12
Stick with the Glock.

The only good reason to carry a Beretta is because you have no other choice.

markm
07-02-08, 11:44
Stick with the Glock.

I agree. The safety on the beretta can easily be inadvertantly clicked on. You don't want a handful of NO GO when you need it the most. That's my biggest gripe with the pistol.

theJanitor
07-02-08, 11:48
i changed the spring to a reduced power from Wolffe on my 96G. it was a great improvement. and with the decocker only lever, i wouldn't think twice about carrying it. it's accurate and easy to shoot.

edit, i dug out the package and it looks like i went with the 17# spring. they also have a 19# one.

rubberneck
07-02-08, 11:49
I agree. The safety on the beretta can easily be inadvertantly clicked on. You don't want a handful of NO GO when you need it the most. That's my biggest gripe with the pistol.

You do realize that not all Beretta's come with a safety?

rubberneck
07-02-08, 12:26

You mean the only good reason for me to ever carry my Beretta (a gun that has eaten thousands of trouble free rounds, prints nice tight groups and fits my hand perfectly) is because I don't have any better choices?

markm
07-02-08, 13:48
You do realize that not all Beretta's come with a safety?

No. I never really gave it much thought. The one I owned did. If yours doesn't then it's not an issue for you.

I liked the pistol, but one more than one occasion I hit that safety during drills and had that dead trigger when I didn't want it. It wasn't a bad pistol, and If I had to carry one I wouldn't piss and moan about it.

But if you have the Glock option, It's a no brainer.

Aud_VDW
07-02-08, 15:40
Why isnt the 92 offered with a thumb safety in the US?

http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=2&ids=28

rubberneck
07-02-08, 15:49

They were sold at one point. I don't know if they still are but they were frightfully expensive (IIRC $1100+) when they were.

ToddG
07-02-08, 20:40
There have been a variety of single action Ber92 variants available over the years. All of them have been expensive and none of them has been popular.

It's also very easy to turn a standard 92FS into a cocked-and-locked gun, except you have to use the safety on the slide and the trigger isn't really locked. Pull the trigger with the safety engaged and the hammer still falls, it just won't discharge the gun.

Armati
07-02-08, 23:10
One question for guys in the know (like Todd) - if you use the DAO hammer spring, do you have to use a stronger recoil spring? Some people say that the hammer resistance is an important part of the 92's soft recoil.

Most of the guys I know have simply installed the DAO spring and the gun has a much nicer trigger. I know guys who have gone full bore and installed the Cylinder&Slide hammer and sear pack along with the full Wolffe spring pack and those guns feel like an old custom S&W Model 10. I think the 92 really lends it's self to being tuned.

ToddG
07-03-08, 00:02
I never changed my recoil spring configuration when I was running a 'D' spring or even a Cougar spring.

evilmonkey
07-03-08, 00:38
My G17 will always be my gun I will go to for self defense, but Im one of those people who believes you should be good with different pistols in case your main one breaks! Plus I like everything about the beretta except the trigger! I think the slide safety is so much better then the 1911's frame safety(I seem to always engage it at least once every IDPA match thats why I dont use it any more)! Im also a fan of it being so bulky since I have big hands. Im probably going to order the D spring, seems like it would be the easiest thing to do. Hey GotM4 does david do refinishing work on pistols? I wouldn't mind sending my beretta in for a trigger job and my springfield 1911 in for refinishing work at the same time!

pelos
07-03-08, 00:50

im not sure i know what you guys are talking about when you say (thumb safety) i did a search and found them all over the place.

Bushytale
07-03-08, 03:11
evilmonkey Always!!!!!!!!! shoot a 1911 with your strong hand thumb on top of the safety lever and it will never be on when it should be off, per Col. Cooper and the modern technique. As for the B92, don't get caught with your dingus down :o , also per the Col. Since your not comfortable with the 1911, carry the G17.