PDA

View Full Version : Monster Storm to hit NE

WillBrink
01-25-15, 17:38
I'm right in the 2ft + zone, and with 60 mile per hour winds expected, snow drifts will be massive. This may be a storm the region has not experienced in a long time. If you're in this things path, get your stuff in order.

http://live.drjays.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/map_specnewsdct-92_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

My priorities are in order...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/10856603_10152618822361517_6225969741750458040_o_zps48jpvhfi.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/10856603_10152618822361517_6225969741750458040_o_zps48jpvhfi.jpg.html)

Wish I was at my condo in Panama, but I aint, so above is second best. Cold sucks, snow sucks, winter in NE, max suck

Snow blower topped off
food
beers
batteries
candles,
water
ammo
grill
cool ex race dog
4x4 gassed up with extra tank worth of gas stored

check, check, check

Am I forgetting any thing?

MountainRaven
01-25-15, 17:51
Gonna store the beer outside?

Gotta wood-burning stove?

Snow shoes or cross-country skis?

Good luck. Had some relatives in Buffalo when they got hit by the last big snow storm. Six feet or so of snow... not a lot of fun from what I understand.

WillBrink
01-25-15, 18:17
Gonna store the beer outside?

Gotta wood-burning stove?

Snow shoes or cross-country skis?

Good luck. Had some relatives in Buffalo when they got hit by the last big snow storm. Six feet or so of snow... not a lot of fun from what I understand.

I do not have a wood burning stove and wish I did. It's one of those things I wish I had in such events. Beer will be stored inside and out!

Alex V
01-25-15, 18:36
Ugh, I am not looking forward to this.

Neither the wife nor I have an all wheel drive vehicle. This is gonna suck!

Funny thing is, I was going to go look at a new Tacoma 4x4 on Saturday but didn't, cause it snowed a bit and I didn't think the sales people would want to deal with me. Oh well. Time to sit on my ass at home on Tuesday. Got plenty of beer.

Palmguy
01-25-15, 18:46
We had a nice little cookout this afternoon. Sat by the pool, temp was about 70. I'm supposed to fly to VT tomorrow for work, not looking forward to it. This storm might keep us in Florida.

NC_DAVE
01-25-15, 19:02
I do not have a wood burning stove and wish I did. It's one of those things I wish I had in such events. Beer will be stored inside and out!

Just wondering how you northern boys stay warm if your power goes out up there? Beside the mentioned wood stove.

JS-Maine
01-25-15, 19:11
Most people have generators. Last long outage my buddy ran an extension cord to his Tacoma where he had a power inverter inside. He just had to have his play station powered up.

cbx
01-25-15, 20:37
Tire chains? If you can even drive...Snowmobile? I remember my dad hauling employees home on snowmobile in 92'.

When it gets like that the drifts will be in the 5-10 ft range easy. Maybe more. Can take a while to clear roads. When that happens, snowmobile and snow shoes is all that works. I have some pictures somewhere from winter 92'..... drifts were 15-20 ft in some areas.

Good your prepared Will.... you may need it.

AKDoug
01-25-15, 23:26
Something tells me that the Patriots are going to stay in Arizona for a little while after the big game ;)

WillBrink
01-26-15, 07:20
Tire chains? If you can even drive...Snowmobile? I remember my dad hauling employees home on snowmobile in 92'.

When it gets like that the drifts will be in the 5-10 ft range easy. Maybe more. Can take a while to clear roads. When that happens, snowmobile and snow shoes is all that works. I have some pictures somewhere from winter 92'..... drifts were 15-20 ft in some areas.

Good your prepared Will.... you may need it.

I'm always prepared. People waiting on lines the day before a huge storm for supplies are idiots.

TMS951
01-26-15, 07:21
Just wondering how you northern boys stay warm if your power goes out up there? Beside the mentioned wood stove.

99% of the time heat comes from oil or natural gas in the NE.

markm
01-26-15, 07:27
George Bush and the Coal burning fossil fuel republicans are to blame for this Global Warming.

WillBrink
01-26-15, 07:31
99% of the time heat comes from oil or natural gas in the NE.

Yes, and although electricity can get shut down during a big storm, losing gas supply is very rare. I do have a fire place that can heat up one room pretty well, but a stove would be a nice thing to have.

chuckman
01-26-15, 09:06
Here it it supposed to rain, and not really be 'that cold.' Best of luck to all in the path. Stay safe.

Caeser25
01-26-15, 11:23
George Bush and the Coal burning fossil fuel republicans are to blame for this Global Warming.

Absolutely. 2 feet? I remember getting 2 feet Atleast once a year when I was a kid.

drsal
01-26-15, 17:04
[QUOTE
Am I forgetting any thing?[/QUOTE]

Female companionship

WillBrink
01-26-15, 17:14
[QUOTE

Female companionship

Covered. Who do you think will be doing most of the shoveling?!

Bubba FAL
01-26-15, 17:31
Meanwhile, here in the unfashionable center of the country, we are expecting a high temp of 68 degrees on Wednesday!

Kidding aside, I remember the blizzards in '78 and the bone chilling cold in upper Midwest during the early '80s. It got so cold that our firewood froze, not good when the power is out for several days and the house has electric heat and is on well water. Also the reason I have arthritis in my hands - too many cases of frostbite over the years and why I'll never move any further north.

WillBrink
01-26-15, 17:34
Meanwhile, here in the unfashionable center of the country, we are expecting a high temp of 68 degrees on Wednesday!

Kidding aside, I remember the blizzards in '78 and the bone chilling cold in upper Midwest during the early '80s. It got so cold that our firewood froze, not good when the power is out for several days and the house has electric heat and is on well water. Also the reason I have arthritis in my hands - too many cases of frostbite over the years and why I'll never move any further north.

I have a place in Panama and hope to be moving to FL for an extended stay shortly. Per the OP, cold and snow suck.

2nd.amendment
01-26-15, 18:27
5 chords of wood, massive wood stove, beer, and a generator. I am all set.

Now watch the total amount to about 3 inches.

Oh well. Work's cancelled and the range will be empty. I am a rare breed, I love the snow.

jmp45
01-26-15, 18:29
Oh well. Work's cancelled and the range will be empty. I am a rare breed, I love the snow.

Me too, winter should always have snow. We have about 5 or 6" here in mid eastern Ohio.

MountainRaven
01-26-15, 19:35
Back when I was a couch potato, snow and cold didn't bother me in the least.

Now that I actually go outside for an hour or two every day, it really starts to grate on me.

Of course, it used to be that having fewer than eight hours of sunlight a day didn't bother me, either. This year hasn't been so bad, but the couple years before that I absolutely hated it. Especially in combination with the cold.

Snow doesn't bug me so much. Neither does slush nor icy-cold, freshly melted snow water. It's when the top layers melt and then freeze into a sheet of ice (that very, very slowly melts) that I begin to get homicidal.

Having said all that and having spent much of my youth in places like Arizona and southern California... I'd rather live somewhere with seasons. Florida and Hawaii are nice places to visit (and so is California's climate... and nothing else about that state), but I fear I would go mad within a year or two.

2nd.amendment
01-26-15, 19:52
Growing up in MN, New England winters are a piece of cake for temps, though there is less to do. At least in MN there was always a hockey rink nearby, cross county skiing, etc.

I spent a lot of time in Utah ... about the perfect climate for me. Tons of snow in the mountains. Light jacket weather in the valley and everything the desert has to offer.

2nd.amendment
01-26-15, 19:55
Me too, winter should always have snow. We have about 5 or 6" here in mid eastern Ohio.
5-6 inches is good. Up until recently, we didn't have much. Not a lot to do around here without snow or warmer weather.

JoshNC
01-26-15, 20:14

A lady friend to keep you company. ;)

Oops, I see someone beat me to it....

Dienekes
01-26-15, 21:59
Up here in Wyoming the ground is 98% bare; my thermometer registered 80 degrees today when the sun hit it. Tomorrow probably won't be that warm, but, hey, not bad for late January. But since you asked, yes, I do have a natural gas powered standby generator, a full gas caddy, a food stash, beer, two four wheel drives--and lots of ammo.

Don't cry for me, Argentina.

Moose-Knuckle
01-27-15, 05:31
Yeah about that, today's high here is supposed to be 76° . . . :suicide:

docsherm
01-27-15, 08:23
Yeah about that, today's high here is supposed to be 76° . . . :suicide:

That is it? Mid 80s down here....... ;)

Alex V
01-27-15, 08:37
All these dire warnings of being buried alive and we might have 8" right now.

cbx
01-27-15, 08:57
It's was fifty here yesterday... yeah that's kind of warm for these parts in January.

Lincoln7
01-27-15, 09:33
It's was fifty here yesterday... yeah that's kind of warm for these parts in January.
Where is 'here'?

WillBrink
01-27-15, 10:34
Approx 30" of snow outside and storm half over. Even my 10HP 32" snow blower having some problems with it. So far, predictions are spot on. Winds 50-70pmh and 17f out. Bad mojo. Only good news is, the low tempo has kept the snow fluffy and light so power outages not as wide spread as expected. I'm going to suit up and go for a snow adventure walk...

Averageman
01-27-15, 12:08
Wow it's almost 70 here in Cent. Tex. @1200.
Since you're not using that sunblock Will could you send it down here for us?

cbx
01-27-15, 12:57
Where is 'here'?
Idaho

brickboy240
01-27-15, 14:45
It is currently 74 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

Is this Florida?

Los Angeles?

Hell no...this is south east Texas!

Have fun up there!

LOL

Averageman
01-27-15, 15:12
The temp here just keeps climbing, 75 now.

docsherm
01-27-15, 15:19
82 deg down here in South Texas. And I think the heat in still on in my office.....very hot now...;)

wildcard600
01-27-15, 15:35
65° down here in Bentonville, AR today. little cooler back home in MO but suppsoed to be near 70° tomorrow.

times like this i'm glad I left VT ;)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-27-15, 16:06
70* in Loveland, Colorado. Life is good...

WillBrink
01-27-15, 17:12
82 deg down here in South Texas. And I think the heat in still on in my office.....very hot now...;)

If I could just reach through the comp screen and choke you....meh, just reminds me I need to get out of this area pronto. Relocation to southern FL for extended stay/perm in process.

C-grunt
01-27-15, 17:45
Apparently New York is out of perishable food items.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

docsherm
01-27-15, 18:48
If I could just reach through the comp screen and choke you....meh, just reminds me I need to get out of this area pronto. Relocation to southern FL for extended stay/perm in process.

:haha: See it worked.....the anger just made you a little bit warmer..... :jester:

Moose-Knuckle
01-28-15, 01:49
Apparently New York is out of perishable food items.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

That dude's Justin Bieber video is the bomb diggity!