PDA

View Full Version : Breech lock hand press...

Hemoglobin
01-25-15, 21:34
Sorry if this rambles a bit. Thinking out loud.

So, I have a press. I'm 200 miles away from it in a condo thats cramped for space with a 2 year old and no spare room for it. That situation isn't going to change for the next 2-3 years because of my wife's school/rotations.

So... I have access to a 600 and 1k range now. I just built a 18" 5.56 to play with. I have some factory 77 gr SMK ammo, but I know if this continues I'm not going to be able to afford the factory ammo indefinitely and I will eventually want to dial it in more than factory ammo.

enter: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/650614/lee-breech-lock-hand-press-kit?cm_vc=wishList

Like I said, I have a press... So I was thinking that once we move on to a set location then I could use this for a "on site" dial in set up, if I keep up with it. What do you more experienced people think? Would this work well? I work about 70 hours a week with a 2 year old so lets not pretend I'm interested in loading more than 100 rounds a week even when I get a good formula.

I have loaded thousands of rounds of 9mm. I've just never really loaded for precision; just bulk type ammo. Would you all go with this set up knowing it could be used down the road as a on site system when you have access to the press or would you just buy a case of SSA/BH mk. 262 ammo to get you through till you were set and could dedicate time on the press?

Hemoglobin
01-25-15, 22:20
I guess it's a good time to mention I purchased some once fired brass from midway about 6 months ago. to the tune of 3k rounds and I'm sitting on a few K from my own use... the bulk seems to be LC 04...

Gunnar da Wolf
01-27-15, 08:59
I've got one that I bought just for S&G. I've used it to load for .308, .45-70 and I believe some .375 H&H, shouldn't be any problem to load .223/5/5.56 if you're only looking to load 50 or less rounds per session. I wouldn't suggest one for a novice reloader but if you've already got dies, scale and other accessories you should be good to go.

Hemoglobin
01-27-15, 11:56
Yeah. I have everything in storage except for dies. Thanks for the reply. Was really just curious if anyone was going to jump on board and tell me it wasn't worth it for xyz reason. Appreciate it.

taliv
01-27-15, 13:28
no, that's NOT what you want for loading precision rifle.

look at pictures of the benchrest competitions and you'll see everybody is loading ammo there with portable setups, most of which would entirely fit inside a normal sized toolbox.

surprisingly, these portable tools are fairly cheap and easy to use.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/reloading-kits/wilson-sinclair-hand-die-kit-with-micro-bullet-seater-prod67768.aspx

btw, not sure where you are in E TN but if you wander over to cookeville, i'll show you how to use it.

Steel head
01-31-15, 17:11
I have one of those, you'd be surprised at the ammo it can produce with good dies.
Run out was never a real issue either.

I still use it for tasks that can be performed while watching a movie enjoying a nice stogie.
This group was shot with 223 loaded with a lee hand press.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/GJB/berg55xterm_zpsd0cb867b.jpg (http://s374.photobucket.com/user/yellowheap/media/GJB/berg55xterm_zpsd0cb867b.jpg.html)

mic2377
02-01-15, 08:10
The hand press works surprisingly well for how cheap/simple it is. It is definitely a workout to use but with a decent set of dies can churn out accurate ammo just the same. I have also loaded sub-MOA 223 ammo with one. Perhaps its biggest limitation is when sizing larger cartridges (308 and up). You have to eat your wheaties for that. I would say go ahead an start loading.

Hemoglobin
02-01-15, 20:06
Been a hectic week. Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may go forward with this after a little more digging. Guess I'll keep creating useable brass and pick this up in March when Bonuses drop! Again, thanks guys.