PDA

View Full Version : case gauge?

texasgunhand
01-25-15, 22:10
Could you guys recommend a case gauge? What brand your useing? I need to get them to check my reloads. I found the lyman brand at brownells but of course there on back order right now. I like the idea of dropping them in and knowing if the rounds are good to go.

Thanks....

.46caliber
01-25-15, 22:35
I use an LE Wilson but I want to get one of the JP gauges. Its available in .223 and .308.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPCG-223

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

m1a_scoutguy
01-25-15, 22:45
I use Wilson for most of mine. I think I have a couple from Dillon also ! EGW sell them and they have ones that hold multiple rds,,kinda cool ! Grab any of the ones listed and you will be GTG !

texasgunhand
01-25-15, 23:10
You might want to read the 1 review of the jp case gauge at brownells before you order. Something wasnt right i dont remember what..just fyi before you buy..

markm
01-26-15, 07:05
It's a good idea to avoid ANYTHING with "jp" in the name when talking AR stuff.

.46caliber
01-26-15, 07:32
Interesting, I thought JP stuff was regarded as GTG.

They state in their description that their gauge checks diameter in addition to headspace and length. Did I fall for fluff?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

markm
01-26-15, 07:35
JP stuff might have function in the match guns. But their competition parts are often popping up as problematic when guys put them in regular/tactical guns. Hammer springs, carriers, etc.

Onyx Z
01-26-15, 08:26
JP stuff might have function in the match guns. But their competition parts are often popping up as problematic when guys put them in regular/tactical guns. Hammer springs, carriers, etc.

There were a few people in the JP trigger spring thread in GD that swore up and down that you were an idiot if the JP trigger springs weren't for you. It was quite the showing of JP fanboys. Seems like JP is a either love or hate... there's no middle ground.

RedRallyeZ
01-26-15, 09:10
I have the LE wilson gauge in 308 for my bolt gun, but i just bought the hornady comparison gauges to try. I bought one in 308 and one in 223, so ill let you know how i like those.

hornady case gauge at midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/106727/hornady-cartridge-headspace-gage-bushing-400-diameter)

texasgunhand
01-27-15, 00:27
Thanks, just thought i would share the JP review info its only one guy,and he didnt know what couses slam fires. From reading his review.

taliv
01-27-15, 08:22
John Paul is a good dude and a genius when it comes to innovating AR stuff. If you know what you're doing you can use his components to make a gun that is plenty reliable. If you just randomly swap crap around without regard to its affect on the rest of the system, I'd certainly expect a suboptimal experience. some of the JP stuff can be finicky because it attempts to get pretty close to the edge performance envelope, but ime it was clearly marked competition use only and not for duty guns.

as far as a case gage, that doesn't seem like rocket science. where is the review?

texasgunhand
01-27-15, 15:31
The review of the jp case gauge is on brownells site its a review by someone who bought one and didnt like it i guess. Theres only 1 and the guy didnt seem to know what causes a slam fire.IE high primer.

As far as rocket science your right but i dont want to waste 50 bucks buying crappy products, and since theres more than 1 company out there making them i thought i would ask. Thats kinda what this whole things about,,sharing info.

I read customer reviews on products becouse most companys wont tell you their products crap before you buy it.

BTW..ill be buying the wilson gauges,thanks for your help brownells has them in stock. Last thing i need..

taliv
01-27-15, 15:40
fwiw, my case cages are wilson and dillon. they're cheap and drama-free and i'd recommend them w/o hesitation. I didn't even know JP made case gauges. everybody ships a lemon occasionally, i just am surprised his ability to make a case gauge would be in doubt.

HKGuns
01-27-15, 15:54
I use these....and haven't had any issues. YMMV

Lyman CG (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/268983/lyman-case-length-headspace-gage-223-remington)

RVTMaverick
01-28-15, 15:58
Could you guys recommend a case gauge? What brand your useing? I need to get them to check my reloads. I found the lyman brand at brownells but of course there on back order right now. I like the idea of dropping them in and knowing if the rounds are good to go.

Thanks....

Am I missing something here, about you Case Gage question, did you ask or say a specific caliber somewhere for .223/5.56? I'm only asking because, acouple of the replies are about said caliber... I thought maybe, you must have taken the caliber out via edit.?.. LOL

Anyway, This is what I have done in the pass and IF Your in a pinch for whatever caliber you are loading, I've used my actual handgun barrels, IF they go into battery/chamber just by lightly dropping them in, well then You're Good to GO!...;)

Once you have your dies set and you see your rounds are coming out nice in your Chamber(s)... I'd say you're ready to Blast Away EH:D

Peace Jeff

T2C
01-28-15, 16:28
I use L.E. Wilson gauges. They are good for checking resized brass and reloads for every caliber I reload EXCEPT .30 Carbine. If you reload for .30 Carbine, I would not buy a L.E. Wilson .30 Carbine gauge.

texasgunhand
01-28-15, 18:40
Sorry i didnt say,,.223 and 9mm.. I ordered the wilson case gauges from brownells last night.
Since iam new iam just trying to be safe.

T2C
01-28-15, 23:11
Sorry i didnt say,,.223 and 9mm.. I ordered the wilson case gauges from brownells last night.
Since iam new iam just trying to be safe.

You should be good to go. Use them and it will save a lot of time and headaches.

HKGuns
01-29-15, 18:11
FWIW I've never had an occasion to need pistol case gauges.

Straight walled auto pistol cartridges are probably the simplest thing you can reload and are fairly tolerant of "small" mistakes as well.

RVTMaverick
01-29-15, 19:29

Straight walled auto pistol cartridges are probably the simplest thing you can reload and are fairly tolerant of "small" mistakes as well.

Hey HKGuns, Very True statements on both accounts (yet very nice to be able to Gage the end results should one want too.)

And yet You say these things as if it's a bad thing :confused: Joking ofcourse :D... I say Thank God because it makes quick work to make a few hundred finished rounds (for me) in about 4 to 6 hours, :cool: eh.... :)

texasgunhand
01-29-15, 20:03

Just trying to be safe becouse im new. Now if brownells can get them to me. They have a mess right now. Computer problems and moving,i called today they cant tell me if its shipped or anything other than if its not here in 10 days to call back.. May not be a good time to order from them right now. Ill spend the 20 bucks right now to make sure everthings ok.

My finger hurts from knocking the crimps outa all those 9mm brass.lol Mark was right its a pain in the butt,but the brass is so nice.

T2C
01-30-15, 12:01

If I load 9mm with a mixture of brass fired from different handguns, I use the case gauge to check brass and/or loaded rounds. It's not good to have a round that will not allow the slide to go into full battery when shooting a stage at a pistol match. When I prepare for a match, I check every loaded round with a gauge to ensure the round will feed properly.

If you segregate your brass by firearm or you have a generous throat leading to the chamber, a gauge is usually not needed. If you have a tight chamber, the gauge is needed.

Whytep38
01-31-15, 08:43
Regarding rifle ammo - specifically .223 Rem, in my case (pun intended) - I have a case gauge that I got for checking factory ammo. On rare occasions, I'd find a round that was out of spec. Now that I reload, however, I wondering what's the point of using one. I load for multiple ARs and resize according to the tightest chamber. When I'm reloading, I test the first and last rounds from a resizing session in that chamber, just to make sure nothing has changed with my resizing die. So far, nothing has ever changed. So I'm not sure what purpose a case gauge serves for a reloader who resizes for his particular chamber(s). After reading this entire thread, and many others on reloading, it seems to me that the chamber(s) you use do a better job than a case gauge.