PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Glock's

Voodoochild
09-25-06, 10:05
Well looks like you have all conivinced me to buy a Glock instead of another SIG. I am looking at the 27 or 19 or 23. I see they have C modles anyone ever shoot those and how they compare to regular model Glocks. I want something that isnt as big and heavy as my SIG 229R

Boom
09-25-06, 10:12
For me the 19 is the overall best gun. It works for carry and home defense. I would stay away from the C model guns, you will get tired very fast of the muzzle blast. The ports work well but you don't need them in a 9mm.

USMC03
09-25-06, 10:34
If you want a sub-compact go with the G26 in 9mm. The recoil in the G27 is sharp and in my opinion the .40 round is a little much for small size of the sub-compact Glocks. The G27 is not bad if you are just shooting a few rounds through it, but after 100 or more rounds, most shooters don't care for it. If it's not comfortable, you won't shoot it, if you won't shoot it, you won't be proficient with it.

I sold my G27 years ago and went with the G26, which is much more comfortable to shoot. After our last qual, we had at least 3 officers that I know of sell their G27's and purchase either G26's or G19's.

The compensated Glocks are not needed. And the compensated ports can cause problems / extreem discomfort when shooting from retention. I saw a female student learn this the hard way in a class a couple years ago with a compensated G19. To keep this conversation "G rated", I'll say that this student's right breast liked the compensation the least ;) .........

I've been carrying a G19 on duty as a plain clothes Detective for the last 5 years. It conceals well, yet is large enough to shoot comfortably. I have taken several tactical training classes with the Glock 19 where we have shot 1,500+ rounds in a 2 day class.

If I could only have 1 Glock, it would be the G19.

KevinB
09-25-06, 11:15
If I could only have 1 Glock, it would be the G19.

+1

Jeff got me back into Glocks, and I was then issued a 19 and have been extremely impressed -- that I had to replace my personal 17 with two 19's.

Steel_Weasel
09-25-06, 12:06
I concur with everything so far. Stay away from 'C' models, the G27 does have a sharp recoil 'bite', and 99% of the time the G19 is the way to go. I carry a .40 G-22 and owing the slightly improved ballistics I'd recommend the G-23 for concealed use.

I carried a G-21 for about a year and found it to be too bulky for me. If you have larger frame and big mitts have at it.

yrac
09-25-06, 12:07
The 19 is a tough gun for anything else in the Glock lineup to beat. As USMC03 mentioned, it is large enough to shoot effectively and comfortably in a high round-count class, but small enough to conceal effectively. I use my G19 exclusively in training (as it's my primary carry gun), but I am also able to wear it comfortably every day in what could be considered "deep concealment." It might not meet every need at the extremes, but it does so many things so well that it's hard to find fault with someone who chooses a G19 for all around use.

Voodoochild
09-25-06, 12:18
Thanks everyone for the advice and letting me in on the Glock secrets you all have. How are the mod options on glocks such as trigger work or other things of that nature. I am sure Robb (gotm4) can elaborate on that but what do you all know.

USMC03
09-25-06, 13:10
A Glock is NOT a 1911, Glocks work perfect right out of the box. Buy a Glock, put a set of quality sights on it, buy a bunch of mags and ammo for it, and shoot it a lot.

It's been my experience that the more modifications you perform on a Glock the more problems you will have with it.

Robb Jensen
09-25-06, 13:15
Thanks everyone for the advice and letting me in on the Glock secrets you all have. How are the mod options on glocks such as trigger work or other things of that nature. I am sure Robb (gotm4) can elaborate on that but what do you all know.

Get a 19 or 17 whichever fits your hand best, put some Trijicons on it and shoot the hell out of it.

If it's a game gun like 2 of mine that I can help you tweak it for that. Don't mod a fighting gun.

SHIVAN
09-25-06, 13:16
It's soulless.

However, the 19 is the best compromise between capacity and size. PLUS, it accepts G17 mags so your spares can be 17rd mags instead of 15rd mags.

I carry a G19 now.

The 1911's I have are superior to it, and they have souls. :p

VA_Dinger
09-25-06, 13:37
Even though I’m a true 1911 man at heart I still consider the G19 to be one of the finest handguns ever made for all of the reasons stated before in this thread.

My favorite Glock is hands down the G34, but if could have only one it would be a G19.

Voodoochild
09-25-06, 14:04
Well I will have to make a run up to VA Arms to see what they have to offer. Robb this is just a plain old gun not Race gun or anything like that so I guess I just need night sights. And some mags and ammo.

VA_Dinger
09-25-06, 14:35
I also like that Glocks can be "Personalized" (Not "Modified") very easily. Glock has everything a shooter could need. Want a lighter or heavier trigger, extended mag catch, or extended slide release? No problem, Glock has truly drop-in parts readily available. This is a serious plus over my beloved 1911 that requires expensive gunsmithing. Stick with factory Glock parts and it does hurt their reliability one bit.

Personally I install a factory Glock extended mag catch & slide release, plus a 3.5# connector in all my Glocks that do not come with these standard.

Voodoochild
09-25-06, 14:41
Interesting I will have to see what the fun shop has the 26 isnt too bad either. I might have to sell my SIG since it doesnt get much use anymore 357 SIG is expensive to shoot anymore. Anyone looking for a SIG 229R DAK?

USMC03
09-25-06, 15:00
Just a word of caution on the Glock extended mag release.

I had a Glock 34 that I kept above my head on the headboard of my bed. The Glock 34 and 35 both come with an extended mag release and an extended slide release.

I am right handed so I kept the gun with the left side facing down (left is the same side that has the slide release and mag release).

I usually keep my bedside gun in the holster I carry it in, but for whatever reason my G34 was sitting on the headboard of my bed, unholstered.

I heard something that woke me, (sounded like something being knocked over in the basement). I grabbed my G34 and a flash light to go see what it was. As I brought the pistol off the off the headboard and into an upright (firing) position, the mag fell out of the magwell, and on the deck making an extreemly loud noise.

What I later discovered the following morning is that in order to grab the Glock 34 off of a hard / flat surface (like a table top, nightstand, shelf on a head board, etc), you push the gun down against the surface in order to both grab the gun and get a decent firing grip.

The factory Glock *extended* mag release is long enough that when you go to get a grip on the pistol and push it down, you will release the magazine. Not a good thing as I learned the hard way.

As for the extended slide release, just about every instructor that I know that is familiar with Glocks, teach the "sling shot" method of releasing the slide (ie. When the slide is locked back on an empty magazine, insert a new magazine, then grap the back of the slide with a cupped hand (in the area of the rear serations), thumb pointed at your chest, pull the slide to the rear until it stops, and release. This works much better under stress than trying to find a slide stop / slide release).

Just my .02, your milage may vary.

Jay Cunningham
09-25-06, 15:45
I'll add my vote for the Glock 19.

I ordered it with factory Trijicon 3 dot sights - the only modification that I intend to make use of.

Otherwise, mags, a good holster and lots of practice!

BTW, the Sidearmor modular OWB holster works very well for me.

Rob96
09-25-06, 16:04
I am not a HSLD guy but can offer you my experiences of Glocks vs. 1911 vs. Sig. I have had a G22,23, 27,19 Colt 1991A1 and a Sig P228. Out of the six pistols listed the Glock 19 worked best for me. The 22, 23,27 and 1911 were long traded or sold off. The P228 was sold to fund the purchase of a second Glock 19. I came to the decision that it would be best for me to consolidate, and that is just what I did. Night sights are all that are "Needed" on a Glock.

Bulldog1967
09-25-06, 20:20
I have a G17, just traded my Beretta Elite II 9mm for a G21, and will be getting a G19 shortly.

VA_Dinger
09-25-06, 23:59

I had a Glock 34 that I kept above my head on the headboard of my bed. The Glock 34 and 35 both come with an extended mag release and an extended slide release.

I am right handed so I kept the gun with the left side facing down (left is the same side that has the slide release and mag release).

I usually keep my bedside gun in the holster I carry it in, but for whatever reason my G34 was sitting on the headboard of my bed, unholstered.

I heard something that woke me, (sounded like something being knocked over in the basement). I grabbed my G34 and a flash light to go see what it was. As I brought the pistol off the off the headboard and into an upright (firing) position, the mag fell out of the magwell, and on the deck making an extreemly loud noise.

What I later discovered the following morning is that in order to grab the Glock 34 off of a hard / flat surface (like a table top, nightstand, shelf on a head board, etc), you push the gun down against the surface in order to both grab the gun and get a decent firing grip.

The factory Glock *extended* mag release is long enough that when you go to get a grip on the pistol and push it down, you will release the magazine. Not a good thing as I learned the hard way.

This must have been a one in a million problem. I tried for just over a 1/2 hour to replicate this scenario and could not get the mag to fall out.

As for the extended slide release, just about every instructor that I know that is familiar with Glocks, teach the "sling shot" method of releasing the slide (ie. When the slide is locked back on an empty magazine, insert a new magazine, then grap the back of the slide with a cupped hand (in the area of the rear serations), thumb pointed at your chest, pull the slide to the rear until it stops, and release. This works much better under stress than trying to find a slide stop / slide release).

I was taught to use the slide release during reloads by LAV himself, but I can use either technique with zero issues. For me the slide release method is just flat out faster. To me hitting the slide release under stress is no more troubling than hitting a tiny mag catch or inserting a magazine into the mag well. It's safe to say Larry is not a fan of the "Fine Motor Skills Argument".

IMO: Pick the technique that works best for you, practice it constantly and anybody will do fine.

USMC03
09-26-06, 07:36
Dinger,

I just took another Officer's Glock 35 with an extended mag release and the mag was released 2 out of 5 times as I picked it up off of a desk top. YMMV

VA_Dinger
09-26-06, 09:04
Dinger,
I just took another Officer's Glock 35 with an extended mag release and the mag was released 2 out of 5 times as I picked it up off of a desk top. YMMV

The only way I've gotten it to happen is if I'm purposefully trying to release the mag by pushing down hard before I grip. If I pick the weapon up normally it has never happened. Most guys I know file their extended slide releases down a hair anyway for comfort. I would assume this would also get rid of this small problem. Since I do not have a problem shooting with mine I never saw the need before.

I guess it's something to think about but since it takes such an exaggerated effort to make it happen I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Boom
09-26-06, 10:35
For a combat gun standard mag release and slide release are a wise move. The chance of you having to reload during a fight is pretty slim. The Glock 19 holds 15 plus 1. If you cannot stop the attack with 16 rds I'm sorry you are more than likely not going to win. I speak this as a civi not LEO. LEOs are far more likely to get involved in a gun fight then me. But even they have a slim chance if you look at the stats.

The gun will be carried far more then shot. Why risk the chance of dropping your mag? you may not even need to reload the gun. For a game gun extended mag release is the name of the game. Eject that mag and reload. I also do not use extended slide releases. I tend to engage the lever using a thumbs high hold while shooting. It sucks to see your gun lock open in the middle of a string. :(

Yeap for me standard mag release and standard slide release work well for keeping my 19s running.

Dport
09-26-06, 11:29
For a combat gun standard mag release and slide release are a wise move.
Disagree completely. It may work for YOU, but it does not work for everyone.

The great thing about Glock is it's ability to plug and play (minus the backstrap, which they need to catch up to the rest of the gun world with) and be tailored to your desires.

An extended slide release/mag release doesn't add that much to the girth of the Glock. Both add, for some people, to the enjoyment of shooting the gun. If you enjoy shooting it, the more you do it. Which means you're likely to get better at shooting it.

Aubrey
09-26-06, 11:33
I was taught to use the slide release during reloads by LAV himself, but I can use either technique with zero issues. For me the slide release method is just flat out faster. To me hitting the slide release under stress is no more troubling than hitting a tiny mag catch or inserting a magazine into the mag well. It's safe to say Larry is not a fan of the "Fine Motor Skills Argument".

IMO: Pick the technique that works best for you, practice it constantly and anybody will do fine.

One issue to consider is that one may not always be fighting with their own weapon or even one like it. In a battlefield pickup scenario, one may have an opportunity to use a pistol which has the slide-lock "button" in a different location than the pistol(s) that they have trained with. One may be able to hit the button on their pistol every time in a competition or training scenario, but can they hit it on someone else's jamamatic on the two-way range, in the dark, while wounded, etc...

The advantage of the overhand slingshot method of releasing the slide from lock is that it works regardless of auto pistol configuration. It is also the same motion used for other manipulations.

Perhaps the question should be: "What method has the greatest likelihood of working under the greatest variety of circumstances?" (and then: "What's Plan B?"...)

I have great respect for LAV and other been-there-done-that operators and trainers, but there is no one way. "Your mind is like a parachute, it works best when it is open."--CS

Voodoochild
09-26-06, 13:19
Just an FYI for those looking for Trade in Glocks I found this.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

Dport
09-26-06, 14:15
One issue to consider is that one may not always be fighting with their own weapon or even one like it. In a battlefield pickup scenario, one may have an opportunity to use a pistol which has the slide-lock "button" in a different location than the pistol(s) that they have trained with. One may be able to hit the button on their pistol every time in a competition or training scenario, but can they hit it on someone else's jamamatic on the two-way range, in the dark, while wounded, etc...

The advantage of the overhand slingshot method of releasing the slide from lock is that it works regardless of auto pistol configuration. It is also the same motion used for other manipulations.

Perhaps the question should be: "What method has the greatest likelihood of working under the greatest variety of circumstances?" (and then: "What's Plan B?"...)

I have great respect for LAV and other been-there-done-that operators and trainers, but there is no one way. "Your mind is like a parachute, it works best when it is open."--CS
If you have enough time in a "battle field pickup" situation to get not only the gun, but reloads for it as well. You have time to take two seconds to see where the slide release is.:rolleyes:

UVvis
09-26-06, 15:07
I don't like the extended mag release on glocks.

In quite a few right handed leather holsters, the release sticks out just far enough to drop your magazines while the gun is in the holster.

Voodoochild
09-26-06, 15:24
So size wise how does a G19 comapre to a Kahr P40 or P9. From what I have seen it looks about the same size. And what about a G19 Compact. Found a site that has VA Beach G19 compact trade in's for 365.

DBautista
09-26-06, 18:52
Kahr P9s are a single stack pistol, very nice to shoot and asthetically pleasing. G19s are double stack and are a bit fatter.

I have a 19.

And a 26.

And a 17.

Voodoochild
09-30-06, 11:14
So tell me is a 19 similar in size to a KAHR or maybe a little wider. I need to get up to VA Arms and handle one before I just go off and buy one.

M4arc
09-30-06, 11:36
I fall squarely in the "keep your Glock stock" crowd but I think as long as you use factory Glock parts (slide stop & mag catch) you'll be fine. I have no problem operating the standard size controls so I don't see a need to start swapping parts out. If I get to the point where I think an extended this or that will help then I've truly arrived at the pinnacle of my skills. Until then I'll keep practicing on the things that will make the greatest difference for me.

bullitt5172
10-09-06, 13:33

The great thing about Glock is it's ability to plug and play (minus the backstrap, which they need to catch up to the rest of the gun world with) and be tailored to your desires.

An extended slide release/mag release doesn't add that much to the girth of the Glock. Both add, for some people, to the enjoyment of shooting the gun. If you enjoy shooting it, the more you do it. Which means you're likely to get better at shooting it.

I'm pretty sure that Boom meant to say they are NOT a wise move as that is what reading the rest of his post points to.

I have a G23 and G35 and I'm liking them more and more. I am also a 1911 adict and the Glock is gaining my respect very rapidly. I may sell a 1911 to buy a G21 and G27 to complete the family.

meateater
10-11-06, 19:38
i've had my g19 for over 10years now. i just love the sheeuuut out of it.
i've got small girly hands so the size of the 19 is perfect for me.
gotta love them g19's.

Dport
10-11-06, 19:56
i've had my g19 for over 10years now. i just love the sheeuuut out of it.
i've got small girly hands so the size of the 19 is perfect for me.
gotta love them g19's.
Stupid question, but since the Glock 9mm/40cal/.357sig circumference is the same for all Glocks, what does hand size matter? The only difference I've seen is with the 10mm and .45cal.

meateater
10-11-06, 20:46
Stupid question, but since the Glock 9mm/40cal/.357sig circumference is the same for all Glocks, what does hand size matter? The only difference I've seen is with the 10mm and .45cal.

the compacts are the way to go for me.
if you had my hands you would understand, i can barely grasp a 92f:(

Boom
10-11-06, 21:44

Easy there don't get so upset. I did say it was for me, please read my post again. I shoot thumbs forward and high. So I tend to engage the extended slide release. For me I have found the standard release to work better. YMMV

Boom
10-11-06, 21:50

Recoil...If you cannot control it you will not like it, therefore you will not shoot it as much.

nyeti
10-11-06, 23:13
Different firearms have very different techniques that work for them. As far as the Glocks go, they were designed to work a certain way, and there is enough folks running the system in real world fighting arenas to know what works. Keep them stock and work the system. The play shooters have also gained enough experience to find what works for them, and Glock has answered for them as well with extended slide releases and "-" triggers. I use a hand over the top technique on releasing the slide on Glocks.

The 1911 is a very different animal. I use the slide release on 1911's and HK USP's. Again they are all different and have different pluses and minuses that you need to work with. Its just like my AR's/M4 based systems work very different from my AUG's, and require different techniques to maximize the system. Learn to work your system from those who have extensive expertise fighting, training, and instructing on your system. You will have a much higher level of success than trying to adopt techniques that were designed for other systems.

dbrowne1
10-12-06, 11:55
I train 95% of the time using the "slingshot" and "overhand" method to release the slide on my Glocks, as the slidestop on the Glocks was never intended as a slide release. HOWEVER, I do install the factory extended slidestop on my Glocks as a secondary/emergency option in case my other hand is injured or otherwise occupied and I need to close the slide.

Hoplophile
10-12-06, 19:00
My full size Glocks have the factory extended slide stops installed, not for use as a slide release but because I find it hard to lock open when wearing gloves.

Dport
10-12-06, 19:38
the compacts are the way to go for me.
if you had my hands you would understand, i can barely grasp a 92f:(
I'm with you. I have petite hands myself. However, I have noticed no difference between a Glock 26, Glock 19, nor a Glock 17 other than the latter two give you more room for you hand to actually grasp the pistol. The controls are equally easy to manipulate. The only real difference is you might have some unused real estate on the 17. It's not like it changes your grip though.

Dport
10-12-06, 19:40
Recoil...If you cannot control it you will not like it, therefore you will not shoot it as much.
The grip size on a 19 and 26 actually make it harder to control recoil for those who have larger hands as they have less real estate to make contact with your hand. The frame size, other than that, has absolutely nothing to do with recoil.

Dport
10-12-06, 19:41
I train 95% of the time using the "slingshot" and "overhand" method to release the slide on my Glocks, as the slidestop on the Glocks was never intended as a slide release.
Funny, the manual says it is.:rolleyes:

dbrowne1
10-13-06, 21:07
Funny, the manual says it is.:rolleyes:

You're right, at least some of the owner's manuals list this as an acceptable method for releasing the slide. I've yet to meet an instructor or Glock armorer who recommends it, though.

USMC03
08-20-07, 22:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC03:

This must have been a one in a million problem. I tried for just over a 1/2 hour to replicate this scenario and could not get the mag to fall out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC03:

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC03

Dinger,

The only way I've gotten it to happen is if I'm purposefully trying to release the mag by pushing down hard before I grip. If I pick the weapon up normally it has never happened. Most guys I know file their extended slide releases down a hair anyway for comfort. I would assume this would also get rid of this small problem. Since I do not have a problem shooting with mine I never saw the need before.

I guess it's something to think about but since it takes such an exaggerated effort to make it happen I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Many moons ago I found that the extended mag release on the Glock 34 / 35 was too long and on SEVERAL occasions I had the magazine inadvertantly release because the mag release button was too long.

In the year 2000, there was no one who made a "tactial length" mag release button for Glock pistols (on 1911's tactical lenght mag release buttons are buttons that are longer than stock mag buttons, but not as long or as big as many "extended" mag release button).

In talking with my gunsmith at the time about the problems the *extended* mag release was causing me, my gunsmith told me the *fix* was easy. He could either put in a Glock factory Glock 17/19/22/23 mag release (which I felt was too short) or he could simply cut the *extended* mag release button down to a lenght that was exactly half was in between the standard mag release on the Glock 17/19/22/23 and the extended length. This would give me easier access to the mag release button and make reloads quicker, without the worry of an accidental mag dump.

The perfect lenght, half way in between the standard factory mag release, yet shorter than the *extentended* length mag relase.

Seems like a "retired career special operations soldier with 20-plus years of service to our country. A longtime 1st SFOD- Delta operational member" has the same feelings about both the extended length and stock length mag releases:

http://www.vickerstactical.com/MagCatchPage/MagRelease.htm

Larry has always felt the Glock standard magazine release was too short and the extended Glock release was too long. After wondering if anyone was ever going to offer a better version he decided to partner up with TangoDown and offer it as a Vickers Tactical product.

The Vickers Tactical Extended Magazine Release was designed to prevent the magazine from accidentally being released if laid on a flat surface.

Semper Fi,
Jeff

VA_Dinger
08-20-07, 23:11
The Tango Down / Vickers Tactical Glock mag catch is a great product. I've loved it since I handled one of the prototypes 5-6 months ago. LAV seems to have gotten the length just right. While I've never had a problem with my factory Glock version the TD/VT version is far more comfortable and will appeal to a larger segment of Glock owners. Maybe even a few who have swore up and down for years that changing anything on a Glock was a mortal sin.

One will be going on my G19 as soon as I can pick it up.

Robb Jensen
08-21-07, 05:36
The Tango Down / Vickers Tactical Glock mag catch is a great product. I've loved it since I handled one of the prototypes 5-6 months ago. LAV seems to have gotten the length just right. While I've never had a problem with my factory Glock version the TD/VT version is far more comfortable and will appeal to a larger segment of Glock owners. Maybe even a few who have swore up and down for years that changing anything on a Glock was a mortal sin.

One will be going on my G19 as soon as I can pick it up.

I 100% agree. Since we've starting stocking these Vickers mag catches I've installed them on my G17/19/26 and 32. I used to run the G34 mag catch in my G17 (which is just really a G20/21 mag catch) it is a bit too long and sharp. For IPSC it's okay if you radius the sharp edges but it is still easy to inadvertently drop the mag if you start a stage with pistol loaded on a table (laying on the left side) and you grab it like it's a $100 bill you just found.

9MX
08-21-07, 09:38
i hate glocks!:D

Yojimbo
08-21-07, 10:10
I'm another 1911 lover but I also own a G17, G19 and a G30. My primary carry is the G30 but I have found myself carrying the G19 more and more.

I'm becoming truly convinced that the G19 is the best fighting gun that Glock produces. It may even be the best massed produced fighting gun ever.

ErnieB
08-21-07, 17:17
I run a standard slide release and an extended mag release on my G17 and have done so for quite some time. I have NEVER released a mag accidentally due to hitting the extended release. As a matter of fact I can lay on my side and completely weight my holster with my body weight and the mag release does not release the mag.

The slide release is a different story. I shoot a very high thumbs forward grip which has a tendency to touch the slide release causing the slide not to lock open on an empty mag. I put the standard slide stop back in and it works perfectly.

dimmak
08-21-07, 19:19
[QUOTE=UVvis;16233

In quite a few right handed leather holsters, the release sticks out just far enough to drop your magazines while the gun is in the holster.[/QUOTE]

I learned this 1st hand (G29).. I have put the Ext mag release back in it's package and will not sell it as I am afraid that it would end up in someone's defensive gun.....

I am of the opinion that if controls dont fit the operator, then the operator should train to fit the controls....