PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a F&N FNX Tactical

Rohardi
01-26-15, 05:35
So I'm thinking about picking up a F&N FNX Tactical in FDE and I was wondering if the members here could give some input on their experiences with this pistol. I had originally been looking at putting a RMR on my Glock 34. I saw the new Glock 34 MOS with the cut out for a red dot online during this years SHOT show. But new Glock 34 MOS does not come with tall suppressor sights, and from what I can see, even with tall suppressor sights you would not be able to co-whitnes, as the RMR would be too high. So looking at my current Glock 34, I could send the slide out to get milled and get tall suppressor sights, or I could pick up the FNX Tactical with the RMR cut out already built in and it comes with suppressor sights. The FNX Tactical is also a 45 ACP pistol with a 15 round magazine. That's great magazine capacity for a 45! My other concern is I have not decided if I would replace my 34 on my war belt for classes/training or still stick with the 34. I like the idea of all of my pistols being the same platform and caliber. My carry pistols would still be a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. Both 9mm and both have pretty much the same ergonomics as the 34. I'm probably just over thinking things. Aside from the fact that I would be mixing up platforms and calibers, the only thing I can see as down side is the cost of 45 ACP ammo over 9mm. ESPECIALLY when going to a high round count class. I thought I had gotten away from the 45 ACP costly ammo after i sold my HK45 lol. As the moment, I can not have a suppressor in Rhode Island, but there is a bill being worked on to legalize suppressors here, so a Silencerco Osprey 45 could also be in my future.

Thoughts?

unclemoak
01-26-15, 06:54
The FNX is a great pistol. It certainly has a lot of features such as the decocker, inter-changable back straps, ability to manipulate the slide with the safety on, 15rds of .45, etc.

If you've never shot an FNX, I'd give it a try before taking the plunge. I have a base model so I can't speak to the RMR or threaded barrel, but my is pleasant to shoot and I'm quite pleased with it so far.

Rohardi
01-26-15, 07:11
If you've never shot an FNX, I'd give it a try before taking the plunge. I have a base model so I can't speak to the RMR or threaded barrel, but my is pleasant to shoot and I'm quite pleased with it so far.

Theres really no option of shooting it before I buy one. But from what people say it's a Tac Driver!

DWood
01-26-15, 08:48
What is the pupose for this pistol with an RMR? I ask since you say your carry pistols are a G19 and G26 and you don't seem to be looking to add RMRs to them??? I sent my G23 out to be milled when only a few places were doing it. I wanted to try an RMR on my carry gun. I have long since gone back to regular sights on my carry pistols. The RMR takes quite a bit of training (for me anyway) to shoot at CQB distances and I prefer my Hackathorn sights for that. I just picked up two LAV / Lipsey Glocks with the Vickers Wilson Combat sights and they look like they will work for me too.

I just attended a shotgun class and used my RMRed G23 as my pistol for transitions, just to give the RMR a good workout. It confirmed that I prefer my regular sights. At longer distances, the RMR is really helpfull, but I don't carry with the thought of taking long shots.

If you just want an RMR on a pistol, the FN seems like a nice pistol. I considered geting one, but it would just have been a novelty for me. Better to try one on a gun you would carry, in my opinion, but just be aware it takes some getting used to.

Rohardi
01-26-15, 09:03
Everyone seem's to love the concept of the red dot on a pistol. I have a RMR on top of my ACOG and love that set up. I can see where it would take some adjusting. Once you are used to it, I would think it would be quicker to pick up the dot and put rounds on target. I am doing advanced tactical pistol at Sig Sauer Academy in April and was thinking about running this set up with the RMR.

DWood
01-26-15, 09:34
...........Once you are used to it, I would think it would be quicker to pick up the dot and put rounds on target. .......................

I don't find this to work for me at the close distances typical of a pistol class. Others have said the same thing but it's really up to each individual. Many have said they spend time looking for the dot, which usually seems to be a little high. It's not like a RDS on a carbine that seems to naturally fall in line. Maybe I need to work with it more, but I choose to stick with my quality iron sights on my Glocks. I tried the RMR and got it out of my system. It sounds like you need to try it to satisfy your curiosity. I hope it works out for you.

Unreconstructed
01-26-15, 10:16
" The FNX9 cannot be disassembled further than field-stripping without sending the pistol to the factory. I understand that this limits unauthorized alterations as well as reduces potential lawsuits. I strongly prefer being able to swap out springs or replace parts on my handguns at home..."
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/taking_a_look_at_the_fnx_9mm_pistol.htm

I have NO interest in buying any firearm that I can't disassemble for repair. Something to consider.

Rohardi
01-26-15, 10:26
" The FNX9 cannot be disassembled further than field-stripping without sending the pistol to the factory. I understand that this limits unauthorized alterations as well as reduces potential lawsuits. I strongly prefer being able to swap out springs or replace parts on my handguns at home..."
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/taking_a_look_at_the_fnx_9mm_pistol.htm

This is a good point, I am a Glock Armorer and that comes in handy...

I have NO interest in buying any firearm that I can't disassemble for repair. Something to consider.

That's a good point. I am a Glock Armorer and that comes in handy...

okie john
01-26-15, 12:54
So I'm thinking about picking up a F&N FNX Tactical in FDE and I was wondering if the members here could give some input on their experiences with this pistol.

I can't speak about the 45 version, but I tried an FNX-9 last summer when I was looking for a replacement for my Wilson-barreled Gen3 G17.

I wanted a light, compact, accurate polymer pistol with a barrel greater than four inches long that I could carry cocked and locked. Because of things I read on a different forum, I was particularly interested in the light, crisp TDA trigger. I was encouraged by glowing reports of the FNS--especially concerning accuracy--so I was willing to overlook spotty aftermarket support and a couple of other things. I bought the FNX variant with factory night sights, and while it seemed well made and well thought out, in practice it disappointed me on pretty much every front.

GOOD
I liked the fact that it came with three magazines. I also liked the sights and the grip options. It was easy score well with it on most drills. And I didn’t have the magazine-dropping problem with it that some people have.

BAD
For me, the FNX has two giant dealbreakers:

It’s not possible to disassemble the FNX beyond field stripping. That’s probably good from FN’s standpoint, or for a LE administrator who doesn't want the troops monkeying with their gear, but it also means that users and gunsmiths can’t work on it, which is a drag because the SA trigger on my pistol was really no better than a Gen3 Glock with a twenty-five cent trigger job. It also means that users can’t properly clean the FNX if it gets dropped in sand or other grit. Had I known about this issue, I would not have bought this pistol.
My pistol was NOT accurate. I don’t have my notes with me, but I think that best group that I ever shot with my particular FNX-9 was about seven inches at 25 yards. Most were significantly bigger than that. On the same day with the same ammo, I could pick up an HK, Glock, or SIG and shoot groups under three inches at the same distance. I had a hunch that I could have fiddled with loads and found something that shot well, but with so many other pistols that shoot well at 25 yards, there was no reason to tolerate a pistol that essentially demands custom ammo for routine performance.

Having experienced these issues, I cannot recommend the FNX pistol. I feel like it is strong in concept but weak in execution. If you want to try out the RMR concept, consider a used pistol that someone else has already built, or get a S&W CORE or Glock MOS.

Okie John

WickedWillis
01-26-15, 17:27
Just my 2 cents as a non-operator pistol shooter. I was in the exact same boat as the OP, I wanted a full-size tactical do-it all .45. I went to my local range and rented the FN45, and a Gen 3 Glock 21 with two boxes of standard 230gr Blaser brass and some targets. I was really excited to shoot the FN, I had been drooling over it for awhile. I loaded up 14 rounds of .45 FMJ into the magazine, I could not for the life of me get the last round in. But hey, no big deal, that happens. The range did not offer the RMR, but did have the taller Trijicon supressor-height sights, that are fantastic.

I racked a round in and got on target. I started in double-action, the trigger pull wasn't terrible, my shot was right of aim. No big deal, I adjusted my grip, next shot was left and low. This continued a sporadic hit pattern for the rest of the magazine. I was at 25 yards and I was all over the place. I figured It was me not doing my job as a shooter. I loaded another magazine and tried again, focusing on a smooth trigger pull, same results. I had a hell of a time between three magazines stringing together a nice group. I am not an amazing accuracy guy, but I am no slouch either. I thought it was me, and that I was just having an off night.

I loaded up the Glock 21, having never fired that model before, and I proceeded to put together a group of 13 rounds under 2 inches. I ran a few more magazines through the Glock, and got damn-near the same result with each one. I gave the FN one last shot because I wanted to love it, and my new group was worse. That was it for me. I ended up not purchasing the FN. I shot one a few weeks ago, my friends tacticool FDE with the RMR equipped and I couldn't hit a damn thing with it. It's neat looking, has great capacity and features, I just cannot personally hit a damn thing with that gun.

Teolax
01-26-15, 21:14
I second many peoples sentiment that I prefer iron sights to the RMR. I have an FNX Tactical with an RMR and I'll probably end up selling the RMR because I'm faster with the irons in CQB type shooting. I just find myself searching too long to pick up the dot.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-26-15, 21:41
1. In my opinion the FNX is excellent. Very easy to shoot, with very little muzzle filp (especially with my Tirant :)) It holds 15 rounds of 230 grain Gold dots in the mag. Mine has worked perfectly with and without a can.

2. I am not a fan of the RMR. Mine cuts off or cycles when I shoot it. $600 is a bit much for $70 china optic reliability. Trijicon really dropped the ball on this rip-off. Further, I am consistently faster with irons. The only thing I like about the RMR is I can see it without my glasses. On the other hand, I could get a laser for a lot less and it might actually work.

snichols28
01-27-15, 10:10
Great shooter ...but yah, not your easy dis-assembly piece like a lot of others.

akm4guy
01-27-15, 13:18
I purchased a new FN FNX FDE 45 ACP last year. Round count is right about 1000 now. I love everything about this pistol other than the magazines (all 3 of them) stick and won't drop free. Doesn't matter whether the magazine is full or empty, does the same thing. It's actually going back to FN CS this week.

The pistol shoots awesome though and the recoil ain't bad at all, even with my reloads that are all above book max.

Rohardi
01-27-15, 13:22
So one of the biggest issue I'm hearing about is that the magazines don't drop free. Is this an issue with the magazine or the gun? How does this get corrected?

akm4guy
01-27-15, 13:45
So one of the biggest issue I'm hearing about is that the magazines don't drop free. Is this an issue with the magazine or the gun? How does this get corrected?

To answer your question, I'm not sure. I asked FN CS the same thing but they were extremely vague and short. They just told me to print off the service paper form from their website and to mail the pistol to them with all 3 magazines.

Rohardi
01-27-15, 13:49
To answer your question, I'm not sure. I asked FN CS the same thing but they were extremely vague and short. They just told me to print off the service paper form from their website and to mail the pistol to them with all 3 magazines.

Interesting... I wonder what happens when you pick up extra magazines. Will they work? Seeing as FNH whats you to send the gun and all 3 mags to them... Will extra mags work at that point, or are they performing some sort of work on the mags as well as the gun to get them to drop free....

richiecotite
01-27-15, 18:38
I had an fnp45 tac about 3-4 yrs ago. (precursor to the fnx)

I had no issue with mine. The sights were good (suppressor height, yellow rear, green front), gun was accurate, fed ball and hollow points fine. Trigger was pretty decent, smooth DA, a bit of pretravel and lighter SA pull. No problems with the magazines, but I could only load 15 in 2 of the 3.

The downside is/was expensive mags (though I think they're around $40 and easily available now, the FNP mags were around $50 and out of,stock most places when I had mine), poor to average customer support (went downhill after bob ailes retired/was let go), inability to break the gun down.

But if I was looking for a nightstand gun and knew I was going to use a suppressor and MRDS, or if was going to put it on a battle belt with MRDS, it's a good choice.

Rohardi
02-01-15, 22:24
Well looks Like I'll be picking up a FNX Tactical with my tax return. I already ordered a Raven concealment holster to put on my belt. Also ordered my RMR through Trijicon with NRA instructor pricing 6-8 weeks for both to come in. I should have the pistol by then as well!

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-01-15, 23:03
Good choice. 15 rounds of .45 and every possible bell and whistle from a top-drawer manufacturer is hard to fault.

Rohardi
02-01-15, 23:13
Now I just need to get the laws changed here in RI so I can get a silencerco osprey for it Greg...

jpmuscle
02-02-15, 01:03
What precludes this pistol from being disassembled beyond general field stripping? Special tools or?

el_chingoton13
02-02-15, 01:09
I got mine apart fairly easily with the help of YouTube, including the frame rails. The only thing that can't be disassembled is the safety/sear assembly. The rear sight does need to be removed to get the firing pin out.