PDA

View Full Version : Give this AR Mag. a look

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 11:33
http://www.cammenga.com/cammenga-products.php?category=5#

Magsz
07-02-08, 11:39
I was impressed by the durability of the magazine as seen in the video but again, that doesnt really prove all THAT much in the grand scheme of things.

Here's a question for a guy that shoots at the range and the closest he will ever come to combat is when watching a movie.

What does that magazine do that the pmag at half the price doesnt?

Is unloading magazines by stripping individual rounds really that much of a hassle?

markm
07-02-08, 11:46
Is unloading magazines by stripping individual rounds really that much of a hassle?

Not if you buy the $3 universal mag tool. On the rare occasions that I need to offload a mag, I just use that little gun show gadget.

Failure2Stop
07-02-08, 11:49
No thanks.

I am fully happy with my Mk 1 Mod 0 thumb or stripper clips and a spoon. No reason to further complicate the system.

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 11:50
I was impressed by the durability of the magazine as seen in the video but again, that doesnt really prove all THAT much in the grand scheme of things.

Here's a question for a guy that shoots at the range and the closest he will ever come to combat is when watching a movie.

What does that magazine do that the pmag at half the price doesnt?

Well I placed and order for one from AIMsurplus to give it a go. What I like about it and the new Lancer System L5 Mags is they have metal feed lips and the feed lips are very important in a Mag. your going take into a fight.

I have a bunch of Magpul P-Mags and they work very well but they don't have metal feed lips.

From what I read the military still requires metal feed lip in the AR Mags they buy.

Scapegoat
07-02-08, 11:57
They had a group buy option at AR15.com in conjunction with Rainier Arms for these. It was limited to 300 units and they were asking $24.95 instead of the usual $42.00. May or may not still be on but worth a shot.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=540682

I'll be sticking with PMags....

decodeddiesel
07-02-08, 11:59
I think a Lula is a lot more practical than this thing to the average civilian shooter. To guys who get their M855 in bandoleers and on stripper clips (read professional types) it's a no-brainer.

Magsz
07-02-08, 12:42
I saw a drop test for a lancer magazine from five feet onto concrete, no damage to the feed lips.

Anyone done anything like this with a pmag? Given how notoriously tough the pmags are i cant imagine the feed lips would be damaged in a fall.

Good point about the metal feed lips by the way, i hadnt thought about that.

Failure2Stop
07-02-08, 13:36
Well I placed and order for one from AIMsurplus to give it a go. What I like about it and the new Lancer System L5 Mags is they have metal feed lips and the feed lips are very important in a Mag. your going take into a fight.

I have a bunch of Magpul P-Mags and they work very well but they don't have metal feed lips.

From what I read the military still requires metal feed lip in the AR Mags they buy.

Metal feed-lip requirement? Uncle Sugar buys whatever the guy behind the computer types in. I have never seen a specific requirement for metal feed-lips, so if you have a reference I would greatly appreciate it.

There are lots of PMags in theatre right now, with no complaints that I am aware of. Feedlip damage kills aluminium an steel mags pretty easy.

I have personally beaten a PMag to destruction. You can see what I did to it here- Abusing a PMag (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13204)
Stickman did too. His pictures are waaay better. PMAGs Tested Beyond Destruction (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312)

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 15:25
Metal feed-lip requirement? Uncle Sugar buys whatever the guy behind the computer types in. I have never seen a specific requirement for metal feed-lips, so if you have a reference I would greatly appreciate it.

There are lots of PMags in theatre right now, with no complaints that I am aware of. Feedlip damage kills aluminium an steel mags pretty easy.

I have personally beaten a PMag to destruction. You can see what I did to it here- Abusing a PMag (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13204)
Stickman did too. His pictures are waaay better. PMAGs Tested Beyond Destruction (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312)

Magpul P-Mags are super good Mags. But our US military are not supplying them in any combat theatre or war zone. They are being used by non US military there and are given good reviews.

Dave L.
07-02-08, 15:34
I'm "in theater" and using P-Mags. I have shot them through over and over again with ZERO problems.

Failure2Stop
07-02-08, 16:47
Magpul P-Mags are super good Mags. But our US military are not supplying them in any combat theatre or war zone. They are being used by non US military there and are given good reviews.

What is issued versus what is allowed are very different entities. I would still like to know your source that states that mil mags must have metal feedlips.
There are lots of PMAGs being used by mil personnel.
I am one of them ;) .

I definately do not see the Cammenga ever becoming an issued item (to bring this thread back on line), nor would I allow it's use in anything other than training if one of my guys showed up with them.

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 17:35
What is issued versus what is allowed are very different entities. I would still like to know your source that states that mil mags must have metal feedlips.
There are lots of PMAGs being used by mil personnel.
I am one of them ;) .

I definately do not see the Cammenga ever becoming an issued item (to bring this thread back on line), nor would I allow it's use in anything other than training if one of my guys showed up with them.

Not implying the Cammenga Mag. will be and issue military item, but the DOD has asked Lancer System to develop their L5 Mags. to meet their requirments and they are being field tested and they the DOD did ask that the L5 Mag. have metal feed lips.

As for "your" guys showing up with the Cammenga Mag. I have no idea what that part of your post means.

Harv
07-02-08, 19:58
They should stick to making compass's.....:p

RogerinTPA
07-02-08, 20:06
I think i'll pass. :rolleyes: it looks like it will take you just as long to load that thing than an actual mag by hand! I use the 5 round mag loader and its GTG.

tinman44
07-02-08, 20:16
No thanks.

I am fully happy with my Mk 1 Mod 0 thumb or stripper clips and a spoon. No reason to further complicate the system.

+1 here, i dont get all the attempts to fix something that isnt broke, stripper clips and spoons are imo the best way to load mags, and its fast. better than any loaders i've seen, more parts to break on this mag but whatever you want i recon i've quit trying to teach people things i've learned. everyone knows a guy who knows more than me.

Steve
07-02-08, 20:18
I was given 3 of them to run they now have tape on them marked dummy rounds only

they are sharp edges on mine at least...
the floorplate area on the slide point would override and need to be slammed on hard surface to get it back in place i have been able to launch 1-3rounds out of the unit when its not filled to capacity

No thanks.. i have about 20 L mags i have been testing so far good to go .

they need to remove the ridge that is on there mag it interfers with release of the mag from pouches on my rav and my wilderness and eagle.

I have addressed this issue to them as well.

as for easymags there 2 expensive and heavy

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 20:35
[QUOTE=Steve;186395]I was given 3 of them to run they now have tape on them marked dummy rounds only

the floorplate area on the slide point would override and need to be slammed on hard surface to get it back in place i have been able to launch 1-3rounds out of the unit when its not filled to capacity

====
Please explain what Mags you are posting about above?
====

===
I take it you "so far" have had not problems with the Lancer Systems L5 Mags?
=====

they need to remove the ridge that is on there mag it interfers with release of the mag from pouches on my rav and my wilderness and eagle.
====
What Mags. are you refering to?
=====

==
With who have you address it with? What did they say?
====

as for easymags there 2 expensive and heavy.

They are heavy because they are made of a thick tough metal not made from old beer cans or from injection molded scrap empty coke containers. Expensive yep good stuff is costly. Junk Mags you can buy for around $10/14 dollars.:)

bullitt5172
07-02-08, 21:03
[QUOTE=Steve;186395]I was given 3 of them to run they now have tape on them marked dummy rounds only

====
====

===
=====

====
What Mags. are you refering to?
=====

==
====

They are heavy because they are made of a thick tough metal not made from old beer cans or from injection molded scrap empty coke containers. Expensive yep good stuff is costly. Junk Mags you can buy for around $10/14 dollars.:)

Steve knows his shit (just ask Pat Rogers about him ;) )...and the Cammenga mags are junk. I've seen Steve's "dummy round" mags in action. Pmags are tops and the L5 mags are almost as good as the Pmags.

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 21:05
[QUOTE=rifleshooter;186415]

Steve knows his shit (just ask Pat Rogers about him ;) )...and the Cammenga mags are junk. I've seen Steve's "dummy round" mags in action. Pmags are tops and the L5 mags are almost as good as the Pmags.

Ha!! Ha!! Now we get the real scoop from a Mechanical Engineer no less.:rolleyes:

bullitt5172
07-02-08, 21:21
[QUOTE=bullitt5172;186445]

Ha!! Ha!! Now we get the real scoop from a Mechanical Engineer no less.:rolleyes:

If you have an issue with me bring it to PM's, keep your childish comments out of the tech forum. I was asked on the other forum what my background was since we were having a discussion on stress risers and MIM components. That magazine design is not a solid as the PMAG or L5, sorry if that hurts your feelings. It doesn't take an engineer to figure that out ;)

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 21:27
[QUOTE=rifleshooter;186447]

If you have an issue with me bring it to PM's, keep your childish comments out of the tech forum.

Stick to the thread and don't use those nasty words to discribe your thoughts about the Mags being discussed.

I don't know Steve or Pat Rogers. I know what Steve posted but have no idea what he is trying to get across with his last post.

Now if you understand what he posted give it a go.:)

bullitt5172
07-02-08, 21:32
[QUOTE=bullitt5172;186464]

Stick to the thread and don't use those nasty words to discribe your thoughts about the Mags being discussed.

I don't know Steve or Pat Rogers. I know what Steve posted but have no idea what he is trying to get across with his last post.

Now if you understand what he posted give it a go.:)

Seriously? Nasty words...are you 12? You don't know who Pat Rogers is? Sorry, but I cannot take your comments seriously. My comments were based on actual results, I've seen and used these mags.

Steve
07-02-08, 21:34

====

EASYMAGS
====

===
I have had one issue and it was related to a franken gun......
=====

====
What Mags. are you refering to? LANCER MAGS, I have addressed this with Scott from Lancer as well as others
=====

==

See above/
====

yah so are HK mags, spare me. pmags arent as costly and are for a fact better magazine.

I run almost every mag there is on the planet I get my hands on... Pmags have been the most soild and realiable i have run. lancer is a close second only time will tell...I have only put about 1000 rounds through them this past month.

and bullitt5172 knows of what he speaks he has seen more inside of this industry than most... when he talks i listen.

and rifle shooter i sugjest it in best intrest to tone it down a bit.....

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 21:40
Well thats why I am reading and replying to peoples posting. But I want real facts not just some ones likes or dislikes about a product.

If one calls a product Sh**T or JUNK give some facts to back up your posting.

bullitt5172
07-02-08, 21:46
Well thats why I am reading and replying to peoples posting. But I want real facts not just some ones likes or dislikes about a product.

If one calls a product Sh**T or JUNK give some facts to back up your posting.

You have to excuse Steve's typing, his hands are the size of a small car - it's hard for him to hit the keys sometimes :D

Magazines either run or they don't. The Cammenga mags didn't want to run and they were sharp. That's all you really need to know. Stick to PMAGS and L5 mags and get a LULA loader - much better combo than the Cammenga mag.

For the record, I never called the Cammenga mags "sh*t" - there, not really a nasty word :).

Rik
07-02-08, 21:52
Did anybody try if you can open this Cammenga mag while it's seated in the mag-well? Just curious.

bullitt5172
07-02-08, 21:53
Did anybody try if you can open this Cammenga mag while it's seated in the mag-well? Just curious.

That's a good question, I don't remember seeing anything that would stop it from opening???

Steve
07-02-08, 21:54
And im giving you my end of it......

bullitt5172 has seen these mags and used them with me and others

I have no love for them ther ei sno real need or use for a magazine that opens to allow more dirt grit and gunk to get blow trapped or logged in your mag i tested them in AZ, Tenn and MI in snow, dirt, sand rocks, etc.

the mags had its hicupps, it weight is an issue, also steel magazines have the nasty ablity to bend and dent and not give as well as a plastic poly etc or aluminum magazine do. steel dents....

Steve
07-02-08, 21:57
Rik, Ill try it tomorrow but if i recall the way its seats its prevents it... ill try it though and report back.. this could be fun.

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 22:04
You have to excuse Steve's typing, his hands are the size of a small car - it's hard for him to hit the keys sometimes :D

Magazines either run or they don't. The Cammenga mags didn't want to run and they were sharp. That's all you really need to know. Stick to PMAGS and L5 mags and get a LULA loader - much better combo than the Cammenga mag.

For the record, I never called the Cammenga mags "sh*t" - there, not really a nasty word :).

Well I could not make out just what he was posting about. So you say the Cammenga mags have a sharp edge? Well did they fail to preform when being fired? Did they fall free from the magwells?

I have a bunch of P-Mags they are good but the Lancer System L5s have metal feed lips and thats a real important item to this user.

Green Tweed is a long time material Engineering Company and they are behind the Lancer L5 Mag Engineering. If they added the metal feed lips it's because they know they need them for the real long haul or the real deal life in combat.

Now the jury is still out until I get a chance to use the Cammenga mag.;)

bullitt5172
07-02-08, 22:08
Well I could not make out just what he was posting about. So you say the Cammenga mags have a sharp edge? Well did they fail to preform when being fired? Did they fall free from the magwells?

I have a bunch of P-Mags they are good but the Lancer System L5s have metal feed lips and thats a real important item to this user.

Green Tweed is a long time material Engineering Company and they are behind the Lancer L5 Mag Engineering. If they added the metal feed lips it's because they know they need them for the real long haul or the real deal life in combat.

Now the jury is still out until I get a chance to use the Cammenga mag.;)

I see your point but I will disagree with the need for metal feedlips. The PMAG's have been thoroughly tested and abused, the feedlips are tough as nails. I think L5 added metal feedlips to try and set themselves apart from Magpul - the PMAG is a hard act to follow. They are different, that doesn't mean they are better.

Steve
07-02-08, 22:24
I have had 0 issues with the pmags and there lips they have been run through
1ks of rounds of semi and full auto fire.. to me metal feed lips are a non issue

Lancer mags seam to be a really good mag almost boring so far. except one issue with mine. caused by a bushmaster rifle that was failing to lock open and lancer is aware of this..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2625295917_e12a8c8a0d.jpg?v=0

as for real deal life etc what is that to be exact? please advise!
beacus ei know of few that use pmags for the same reason. as of right now in many bad places.

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 22:25
I see your point but I will disagree with the need for metal feedlips. The PMAG's have been thoroughly tested and abused, the feedlips are tough as nails. I think L5 added metal feedlips to try and set themselves apart from Magpul - the PMAG is a hard act to follow. They are different, that doesn't mean they are better.

Well it's good to see so many people and their Companies getting into working on new products for the good old trusty ARs. A while back many thought it was the end of the AR road and now it's wide open full speed ahead. You go the the firearm shows and it's table after table of ARs and AR stuff. Now that good news to this AR rifleshooter.:)

bullitt5172
07-02-08, 22:27
Well it's good to see so many people and their Companies getting into working on new products for the good old trusty ARs. A while back many thought it was the end of the AR road and now it's wide open full speed ahead. You go the the firearm shows and it's table after table of ARs and AR stuff. Now that good news to this AR rifleshooter.:)

I agree with that 100%!!

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 22:30
1ks of rounds of semi and full auto fire.. to me metal feed lips are a non issue

Lancer mags seam to be a really good mag almost boring so far. except one issue with mine. caused by a bushmaster rifle that was failing to lock open and lancer is aware of this..

beacus ei know of few that use pmags for the same reason. as of right now in many bad places.

I really have nothing more to discuss with you on this subject. I started this thread and if you or others want to drag it on so be it. I am done with it.;)

BYE!! BYE!!

bullitt5172
07-02-08, 22:32
I really have nothing more to discuss with you on this subject. I started this thread and if you or others want to drag it on so be it. I am done with it.;)

BYE!! BYE!!

Wow, just wow. So much for being here to learn :rolleyes:

Steve
07-02-08, 22:38
His mom called him to bed.:D

the idea is to learn and get feed back, I guess that is why lancer dumped a huge box of mags in my lap and said kill them and gives us feedback. and im going to run them in a state combat rifle match championship this month as well.

metal, plastic. etc.. mags area disposable item get over IT when they go bad get a new one.

warpigM-4
07-02-08, 23:54

Steve is that you ??your hands are as big as a small car:eek: Good info Guys thanks.

warpigM-4
07-02-08, 23:56
Wow, just wow. So much for being here to learn :rolleyes:

what you said!!!!!

Steve
07-03-08, 00:55
Yeap those are my booger pickers

Steve
07-03-08, 21:42
yes it will open while in your gun bolt foward or locked back ... spilled some training rounds all over the floor. ill try to get pics this week for you guys or some video if i can. No thanks even more resolve to not use them

Guys as many of us know if you want a metal mag get D&H mags with magpul followers plain and simple...

if you want a non metal mag get Pmags and or Lancer. real simple.

macman37
07-05-08, 11:24

BYE!! BYE!!

Huh? I was at the class these mag issues occurred at... This happened, and if you're not interested in knowing more, that's on you, but Steve's just reporting what went down.

LancerSystems
07-07-08, 07:05
Steve did contact us and hopefully will be able to help us prove out the fix.

Regards,

Greg
www.lancer-systems.com/L5.html

Steve
07-07-08, 07:17
Greg, the fix is fix the carbine not the mag.

I have been very pleased with the mags up to date very durable and have functioned 100% Like i stated boring, so far...