PDA

View Full Version : Condor Plate Carrier.

Circle_10
01-26-15, 14:56
So some weeks back I took advantage of the Black Friday sales at AR500 Armor and ordered one of their plate carrier/armor sets. The lead time on their orders was quite significant, thus I just got it a few days ago.
Upon opening it up I was rather dismayed to find that the plate carrier was made by Condor, which is a brand I typically associate with aisofters. Consulting the internet I found that the Condor MOPC plate carrier does seem to have quite favorable reviews (Though how many of these reviewers are airsofters and how many are actually using the carrier for serious purposes I don't know.). To my admittedly untrained eye it seems of decent quality but than again I'm no tactical gear expert since I generally don't wear it.

My deal is that I'm a civilian, and the odds of me ever having to don body armor is quite low. I wanted the armor just to have it on hand in the unlikely event I ever needed it (When someone asked me what I was going to do with the armor my reply was "hopefully nothing.") and I liked the idea of a setup that could stop rifle rounds (We have a lot of deer hunters around here, and who knows which of them might turn unfriendly in an extended SHTF scenario) and one where the possibility of deteriorating over time (As soft armor might) wouldn't be a concern, since for all i know it could be a decade before I even need it..if ever. I'd be lying if I said that the Ferguson situation didn't factor into my decision to finally break down and purchase armor.
Despite my civvie status I try to buy decent quality stuff (Aimpoints, BCM uppers etc..) but I'm wondering if given the fact this plate carrier will not be subjected to frequent hard use (I may wear it on hikes or something to get accustomed to the weight and that's about it.) and in fact will probably spend most of the time sitting around unused next to my gunsafe, if the Condor MOPC is sufficient for my needs or if I should keep the plates, try to sell the carrier to some airsofter and invest a bit more and get a carrier of a bit higher quality. If so does anyone have any suggestions of some other carrier brands that would fit my needs?

hotrodder636
01-26-15, 17:52
Usually I would say go for quality products. That being said use should play into the purchase. If you don't plan to use it but rather have it available, try it on see if you like it. If not new you can find them for ~$70.

ggammell
01-26-15, 18:16
One of the guys at work broke two last year. Of course he was using it with plates as a weighted vest for PT. I didn't lawn what broke because I couldn't beleive he was using life safety stuff for that purpose. And he knows condor quality too.

docsherm
01-26-15, 19:01
Sell it on eBay and get a good quality one. How would you like to have your plates fall out the first time you "really" have to use it? Condor is crap and is not even built to hold real plates.

Look on the Equipment Exchange here and I am sure you can get a good one at a good price.

Circle_10
01-26-15, 19:15
How would you like to have your plates fall out the first time you "really" have to use it?.

I don't believe I would like that at all.

I'll keep an eye on the exchange. I'm also willing to buy new, up into around the $200 range. The plates I have are AR500, curved 10x12 front and back and two curved 6x8 side plates. I'd like something that can accommodate all those and has a bit of carrying capacity for mags etc...

Kain
01-26-15, 19:49
Had a condor PC before I knew better. Let me put things this way, I started ripping the stitching out of the molle strips just trying to mount pouches. Sold it fast, and recently just picked up an LMAC for $120 during BFG's sale. So I would say that top notch gear can be had without selling your soul.

I don't believe I would like that at all.

I'll keep an eye on the exchange. I'm also willing to buy new, up into around the $200 range. The plates I have are AR500, curved 10x12 front and back and two curved 6x8 side plates. I'd like something that can accommodate all those and has a bit of carrying capacity for mags etc...

For the $200 price range there are some very nice and high quality rigs that you can get. The first one on my list would be a Mayflower APC if you can find it in stock and on sale. Used, I think you should be able to save some under your $200 mark. Not sure of the current feelings on the TAG/Shellback Banshee but think TAG was running specials in the $120 range recently as well.

Endur
01-26-15, 22:28
Kindle for the next bonfire.

Koshinn
01-26-15, 22:31
I knew a guy with a Condor PC who only used it as a driver between FOBs in Kabul. He was never dismounted except inside the wire.

It was ripped to shreds after a month or two of this extremely light use.

Endur
01-26-15, 22:39
Under $200? Tyr Tactical can't be beat.

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/bpc-gpc/basic-plate-carrier-bpc/

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/low-vis-and-concealable/pico-rough-low-vis-carrier/ <-- My top pic.

http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-Plate-Carrier-SKD-Exclusive-p/fsr.550.htm

http://www.skdtac.com/Paraclete-SOHPC-SKD-Spec-p/par.106.htm

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/AA-ASP-PC

The Banshee used to be the go to budget carrier but they have raised the price on it too much to justify its shortcomings.

kaltesherz
01-26-15, 22:55
AWS makes a 6094 clone that has good reviews, only $150.

https://www.awsin.com/products.asp?id=104

Condor is only good enough for people worth shooting.
I was given some unknown M4 shingles overseas and they fell apart after a few months- they turned out to be Condor. This is my shocked face.

Circle_10
01-26-15, 23:57
Thanks, I'll do some shopping around in the links provided. Looking at AR500 Armor's site again they seem to have a few different carrier/plate package deals including what seems to be higher quality carriers...the names of the packages are the actual model names of the carriers, guess I should have paid a bit better attention when I was buying....as I wouldn't have bought the Condor one had I known it was Condor.
Those First Spear "Slick" carriers on SKD's site look interesting as well. Could one take that, pair it with a separate cummerbund for 6x8 side plates ...and then just throw on a regular chest rig or something over it as needed? The low profile of the slick carriers is appealing to me.

CRAMBONE
01-27-15, 04:32
And they glow like a chem light under night vision.

Circle_10
01-27-15, 08:22
And they glow like a chem light under night vision.

Low profile carriers?

CRAMBONE
01-27-15, 08:39
No, cheap nylon gear in general not just plate carriers. If it's not IR compliant or rated or whatever it's called, you will definetly stick out more compared to surrounding vegetation or gear with a lower IR signature.

Low profile carriers?

Circle_10
01-27-15, 10:02
Ah gotcha. I hope I don't ever find myself on the bad side of anyone with night-vision capabilities but I will keep that info in mind.

soulezoo
01-27-15, 14:07
I can vouch for the AWS carrier. I have one and am happy with it. Well built.

However, I believe the side panels only accept 6x6 and not 8x6. May want to double check.

AWS makes a 6094 clone that has good reviews, only $150.

https://www.awsin.com/products.asp?id=104

Condor is only good enough for people worth shooting.
I was given some unknown M4 shingles overseas and they fell apart after a few months- they turned out to be Condor. This is my shocked face.

Endur
01-27-15, 21:49
No, cheap nylon gear in general not just plate carriers. If it's not IR compliant or rated or whatever it's called, you will definetly stick out more compared to surrounding vegetation or gear with a lower IR signature.

They are not even nylon, they are polyester. That is that sad thing.

Grizzly16
01-28-15, 08:10
I've got a condor that was purchased stupid cheap, $35 or so I think. I use it for simunition training because for $35 I don't care how shot up it gets. The difference between it and a Mayflower is night and day. The mayflower carries plates higher and more comfortably. Plus the fit is better on the apc, better built in pouches and clips to add a chest rig for more gear quickly is nice. And yes standing side by side with good IR rated gear I look like rudolph the glowy multicam reindeer. All that said it has carried two 9 lb plates for going on 100+ hours of training that includes running, going prone, absorbing sim and utm rounds, scraping on walls and gravel and assorted other fun and hasn't had a single failure.

I wouldn't say it was duty ready but for a cheap beater my condor has done me well.