PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on those PSA Premium non-CHF FNMI MP NATO 1/7 barrels Vs. COLT

Roadblock
01-27-15, 14:41
So those FNMI MP NATO 1/7 barrels PSA sells for $160.00 dollars as PSA Premium barrels. Are they any good? Looks like they are non-CHF chrome lined.

Trying to decide between one of those for $160.00 dollar and potentially waiting a month or two for PSA to ship it OR buying a COLT M4 or COLT SOCOM $100 to $120 more depending the barrel from Brownells and having it in 3 days.

Building another BLOCK II clone so I could like it to be at least 99% kosher. That or I suppose I could buy a DD too.

Thoughts?

AFshirt
01-27-15, 14:46
I am by no means an expert however I have one with only 2Kish rounds through it. I use a Tac30 4x scope on the rifle and can shoot 1-1.5 MOA. For my purposes it has worked out nicely. Seems to be gassed well using a VLTOR A5 with their standard weight buffer. Again, Im no expert but it has never let me down.

connorr93
01-27-15, 15:02

223to45
01-27-15, 15:07
A few years ago I would say go for it. But now, PSA is leaving me less impressed. To much to fast, not perfecting the stuff they already have.

The premium line is suppose to be OK, but if you want to be sure go Colt, or even BCM.

Roadblock
01-27-15, 15:07
I thought COLT barrels were CHF, I was just informed they are button too. Almost makes it harder to justify the extra $100.00 dollars.

That FN is sounding better other than the wait time at PSA :(

RazorBurn
01-27-15, 15:13
I have a FN barrelled PSA Premium upper that outshoots both my LE6920 and my BCM Standard M4 uppers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a FN barrelled PSA upper especially for a budget AR. I've bought a lot of stuff from PSA, and all of my experiences have been good.

Roadblock
01-27-15, 15:16
Not exactly a budget build. Doing a BLOCK II. I have a Daniel Defense M4-A1 RIS II in FDE, new in the box. I had wanted to go either full COLT or full FN. If these FNMI barrels are truly correct, this would be the cheaper option.

And yes it's the PSA Premium barrel with the FN roll marks I was looking at. The button broached, non-CHF one. It's 16" but I have a friend who can cut it down, pin and weld it for beer money and it will look as good as anything ADCO does.

This will be my second BLOCK II and my last one was a full DD upper on a Noveske lower. I wanted to try to make this one a little more "kosher" and it sounds like COLT and FN are the ways to to.

:)

C-grunt
01-27-15, 15:52
I thought FN only made CHF barrels?

justin_247
01-27-15, 15:56
Not exactly a budget build. Doing a BLOCK II. I have a Daniel Defense M4-A1 RIS II in FDE, new in the box. I had wanted to go either full COLT or full FN. If these FNMI barrels are truly correct, this would be the cheaper option.

And yes it's the PSA Premium barrel with the FN roll marks I was looking at. The button broached, non-CHF one. It's 16" but I have a friend who can cut it down, pin and weld it for beer money and it will look as good as anything ADCO does.

This will be my second BLOCK II and my last one was a full DD upper on a Noveske lower. I wanted to try to make this one a little more "kosher" and it sounds like COLT and FN are the ways to to.

If it needs to be "kosher," it probably needs to be a Colt since there aren't many FN M-4s out in the wild, yet. If you think about roll marks, too, the Colt is probably a better choice.

I know people rave about PSA and there are some reputable people (such as "Mrgunsngear" on YouTube) who have reported no problems with them, but I am still not sold on them for serious use.

Kain
01-27-15, 17:41
Here is something to consider, and something that has been brought up in other threads in regards to PSA's barrels or other's barrels for that matter. WHO is making the barrel is not the biggest thing to consider, it is the what SPECs the barrels are made. Just because FN is the manufacturer for the barrel does not mean that the barrel is good to go, if they are given junk specs they will deliver junk barrels, it is as simple as that. The barrels that FN makes are going to be to PSA's specs, this means profile, gas port size, and tolerances, ect. If PSA is giving them specs that are up to speed and if PSA is taking the time to properly inspect the barrels that they receive to make sure that they are within their tolerances than there is no issue. If they are not.....

NWcityguy2
01-27-15, 19:24
I've got about 3k through mine and it is GTG. Shoots about 1-1.5 moa 5 shot groups. I'm not seeing any posters yet who own one and don't like it, despite some speculation to the contrary.

NWcityguy2
01-27-15, 20:00
Also you're looking at about a 2 week wait until an order ships as long as you aren't ordering a barreled upper. I placed a couple orders from them recently and that was my experience.

Now I know your specifically asking about PSA, but I've got a Green Mountain barrel and from my sample size of 1, the Green Mountain is better than the FN made PSA. The Green mountain will turn is sub-moa groups and likes a wider variety of bullets. They even sell a 14.5" barrel so there is no need to modify. For $160 it is right in the same price range. http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m7-14-5-m4-1-7-5-56-nato-with-extension/ I also remember it shipping in 2-3 days as well. Just a thought.

rocket 442
01-28-15, 09:30
Grant's retail store has 14.5 Colt barrels w/ fsp for 220.00 & 14.5 SOCOM's for 249.00. I've also had good luck with psa, but I've had issues too.Colts have always been GTG.

NWcityguy2
01-28-15, 14:07
I've also had good luck with psa, but I've had issues too.

You've had issues with the barrels he is asking about? You weren't specific.

Roadblock
01-28-15, 15:22
Grant's retail store has 14.5 Colt barrels w/ fsp for 220.00 & 14.5 SOCOM's for 249.00. I've also had good luck with psa, but I've had issues too.Colts have always been GTG.
Um you mean G&R? Looks like his price is $280 on the SOCOM barrel? If they would have been to $250, I probably would have already ordered one lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk, probably while driving.

Roadblock
01-28-15, 15:42
I just called G & R, they said the price is definitely 280 on the socom. With my discount I can get it through Brownells for I believe 265, but they are currently out of stock. I've been watching the site for the past few days waiting for them to come in

akm4guy
01-28-15, 15:47
So, the PSA premium barrels are all from FN?

223to45
01-28-15, 15:48
Grant offers a discount to M4C members, or at least he used to.

223to45
01-28-15, 15:50
I just called G & R, they said the price is definitely 280 on the socom. With my discount I can get it through Brownells for I believe 265, but they are currently out of stock. I've been watching the site for the past few days waiting for them to come in

Let see, $15 difference , one place has it in stock, the other doesn't. Which is the better deal??

NWcityguy2
01-28-15, 18:35
So, the PSA premium barrels are all from FN?

They occasionally offer a non-CHF chrome lined barrel that is not FN made, however if it is FN made, it will say so in the description.

TacticalMark
01-28-15, 20:32

Have you looked at BCM's offering?
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-M4-Barrel-Stripped-SOCOM-p/bcm-brl-s-m4%20socom%2014%20std.htm

RWH24
01-29-15, 20:29
On the barrels, if it is an FN, description will say so. Their PTAC, Freedom and another model name is not FN, not advertised to be.
Classic and premium seem to be their top tier lines. Classic LPK has had a real nice FCG in them.

N0mad
01-29-15, 20:58
The new Colt LE6920 OEM is what you want @ 3:06

http://youtu.be/LOGwdtTai94

Read about it here >> http://looserounds.com/2015/01/18/colt-le6920-oem1-oem2/

NWcityguy2
01-29-15, 22:03
The COLT OEM is literally the least exciting thing I can remember seeing in a long while. The Colt AR is the diner on a highway in the middle of nowhere that prints "SUBSTITUTIONS NOT ALLOWED" on every page of their menu. The OEM line is the equivalent of saying "hold the mayo" when you go eat there.

henschman
01-29-15, 22:27
They are the same. Either way it's your standard mil spec barrel. Just like getting one from DD, BCM, Spikes, or anyone else who makes them.

sinlessorrow
01-30-15, 17:09
FN barrels are made to the specs provided by the dealer. With PSA I would bet the gas port would be way to large.

joeyjoe
01-30-15, 17:14
They are the same. Either way it's your standard mil spec barrel. Just like getting one from DD, BCM, Spikes, or anyone else who makes them.

the gas port is different on all of the brands you mentioned.

Livefreeordie92
01-30-15, 18:53
On the barrels, if it is an FN, description will say so. Their PTAC, Freedom and another model name is not FN, not advertised to be.
Classic and premium seem to be their top tier lines. Classic LPK has had a real nice FCG in them.

I've heard before that PTAC is not made by PSA but rather a separate company called "Practical Tactical" and PSA just happens to be their sole distributor.

Bayern
01-30-15, 19:04
From what they (PSA) tell me, all PSA labeled ARs are built to mil spec. PTAC are not to mil spec and are built in PSA plant in West Columbia, SC plant and are marked West Columbia, SC. The ones I've seen are slab sided (no shell deflector or dust cover. However, some on their web pages have some with these items. They sell for less then PSA marked models. BTW, PSA owners this plant.

NWcityguy2
01-30-15, 19:45
FN barrels are made to the specs provided by the dealer. With PSA I would bet the gas port would be way to large.

Is this the bottom of the barrel, assuming bad things about the PSA based on nothing?

Iraqgunz
01-30-15, 21:57
Not sure where you are getting that info from, but as someone who sees a wide variety of barrels and actually measures ports, I can assure that it not true. I have seen multiple variations with PSA barrels in the past.