PDA

View Full Version : recomended bolt gun.

texasgunhand
01-27-15, 22:25
Please recommend a off the shelf bolt action rifle i wana build the wife a deer gun. No remingtons please i have 2 or 3 ive never had problems with but there 40 years old, my wifes parents have a 700 thats gone off twice with no one touching it.
Iam thinking of Winchester but never owned a high power rifle by them. Have a .22 thats been around 50 years and still going. Any ideas? Whats good now without spending 500 bucks something about 350 or so. Maybe in .308.

anatolian B
01-27-15, 23:05
Savage Lady. A lot of gun for the money.

MBtech
01-28-15, 08:23
+1 on Savage

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/70953/redirect

For a $350 308 you are asking for Savage will be tough to beat in my opinion.

brickboy240
01-28-15, 11:50
People avoid the older 700 Remmys because of the media hit piece done on them years ago.

Truth is....the issue is VERY easy to fix and can be done by anyone on the kitchen counter. Swap the trigger/safety unit for one of the dozens on the market and you're as safe as any other rifle.

I say this because this time of year...right after hunting season...I always see some really nice, lightly used M700 BDLs in our local stores. They can usually be had for the price of the basic Savage Axis and with the trigger swap are a much nicer rifle.

However, yeah...if you must avoid them..I'd go with one of the Savage combos. They are nice guns for the money - especially the ones that come with the Nikon scopes.

texasgunhand
01-28-15, 18:34
I was looking at the savages today..at my local academy..i own a couple of remingtons as stated,i told her parents to order a timney and i would drop it in for them.. One time her mom came in from hunting to grab a bite to eat and put hers on the bed.she was going right back out to her blind,and didnt unload.(stupid to me.) and it went off with no one in the room and the safety on.

What model savage do you guys like?? Ill go check them out..thanks..they had some for less than 300.

brickboy240
01-29-15, 10:28
My brother bought one of those Savage/Nikon combos from Academy for my nephew. It was in 243 Winny.

The thing shot very well for what he paid for it. I helped him zero it in and was amazed at what you could buy ready to shoot for well under 500 bucks these days.

I think it was a Model 16 or 116. Academy usually has these in stock with either Nikon or Weaver scopes and in 243, 270, 308 and 30-06.

A lot of gun for the money. I thought about picking one up in 223 to leave in the truck for a knockabout rifle.

MBtech
01-29-15, 12:28
You might check out the Ruger American, Marlin X7, or Stevens in that price range.

I've only shot the Savage Axis, was chambered in 308 and would have no complaints as a basic off the shelf deer gun, a decent scope and you're ready to hunt. Options are fairly limited for $350 or less.

Good luck to you and your wife, keep us posted.

Lost River
04-04-15, 18:41
A nice Tikka T 3 Lite would be a top choice. They have a 1 MOA guarantee. I've owned and own a bunch of the top brands and I've never seen an out of the box rifle that is as accurate and smooth and easy to load for as today's Tikkas.

RegisteredTM
04-05-15, 19:33
I'd probably recommend saving up a couple hundred more for a remington 700. I think in the long run you'd be happier with it. I wouldn't worry about it going off on you unexpectedly. As far as I know that problem was due to a crappy trigger that people would adjust too light and I'm pretty sure they fixed that problem.

Jpoe88
04-05-15, 19:57
Savage axis XP isn't a bad rifle. The stock is odd but boyds makes laminate ones and Timney even makes a trigger. But off te shelf, it's not a bad product. My axis in .308 with the factory "bushnell" shot just as tight of a group at 100yd as my friends that was purchased same day but was the trophy hunter xp in .308. I used federal 149gr 7.62, he used Remington core lokt 150. Swapped shooters, same results. Just traded mine for a lever gun though

sourdough44
04-12-15, 05:50
I'd consider the Browning X-Bolt in 243. With the right big game bullet it will be just fine. I saw some TX deer the other week, not exactly 230 lb monsters. Of course the 308 and 7mm-08 are great too. I think you may be borrowing that X-Bolt when your wife isn't using it.

The cheapest Savage will work too.

HD1911
04-17-15, 01:13
Savage Lady Hunter in .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor

JW5219
04-17-15, 09:57
A nice Tikka T 3 Lite would be a top choice. They have a 1 MOA guarantee. I've owned and own a bunch of the top brands and I've never seen an out of the box rifle that is as accurate and smooth and easy to load for as today's Tikkas.

I will second this ! I own 5 of them and highly recommend them to everyone. Good luck with your choice.

Norman
04-25-15, 22:12
If you want something cheap, functional and good enough...Savage.
If you want a nicer rifle, a little more accurate and more expensive... Browning or Tikka.

MBtech
04-25-15, 23:13
If you want something cheap, functional and good enough...Savage.
If you want a nicer rifle, a little more accurate and more expensive... Browning or Tikka.

^^^ This exactly, I just bought my son a Tikka T3 Lite Compact for his birthday. Have not shot it yet he'll get it on the 2nd of May. You are looking for a rifle for your wife correct? Don't know what size frame she is but this rifle is perfect for a smaller framed shooter and has a spacer to go with the stock. Picked this one up for under $600 in .243

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-compact

Or as mentioned for the cheaper end Savage.

1859sharps
05-08-15, 17:05
Please recommend a off the shelf bolt action rifle

Take a peek at the weatherby vanguard I am reading good things about the current line. It is based on the Howa 1500, but to weatherby specs as I understand.

usmcvet
05-11-15, 12:24
I own three Savage rifles. They're all .22's. They offer a great value for the gun.

texasgunhand
05-13-15, 23:08
I'd probably recommend saving up a couple hundred more for a remington 700. I think in the long run you'd be happier with it. I wouldn't worry about it going off on you unexpectedly. As far as I know that problem was due to a crappy trigger that people would adjust too light and I'm pretty sure they fixed that problem.

NO,thats not true . my wifes family has one that goes off by itself , twice.. Killed a P/U and a bedroom wall so far.
I have a 600 thats never done it in 50 years and they had a recall on them a long time ago. None of my remington rifles have ever done it. I noticed at academy the other day that theres a recall on the new triggers that were supposed to fix the problem. Theres been in house papers from remington stating theve known about the problem for a long time. All the info is out there including a 1 hr special done by msnbc or one of those news channels. Iam not knocking remington i own a couple that have been in my family for longer than i have been alive. But there are some out there that are bone stock and will fire with the safety on all by its self or when the safety is switch on or off. Btw the one they own has a non adjustable trigger like most 700s.

Just posting this becouse i know it to be true. When you see it happen that takes the doubt outa my mind.

jackmobes
05-13-15, 23:18
Savage is probably the best gun for the money. I had a 10FP and it was a great shooter.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

FishTaco
05-20-15, 19:41
Truth is....the issue is VERY easy to fix and can be done by anyone on the kitchen counter. Swap the trigger/safety unit for one of the dozens on the market and you're as safe as any other rifle.

When you say anyone, do you really mean just any old swinging dick plucked from the local range, handed the rifle and told to just swap er' out?

FishTaco
05-20-15, 19:42
Savage is probably the best gun for the money. I had a 10FP and it was a great shooter.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

What's the successor to the 10FP? Should have bought one of those when they were available.

texasgunhand
07-04-15, 20:17
NO,thats not true . my wifes family has one that goes off by itself , twice.. Killed a P/U and a bedroom wall so far.
I have a 600 thats never done it in 50 years and they had a recall on them a long time ago. None of my remington rifles have ever done it. I noticed at academy the other day that theres a recall on the new triggers that were supposed to fix the problem. Theres been in house papers from remington stating theve known about the problem for a long time. All the info is out there including a 1 hr special done by msnbc or one of those news channels. Iam not knocking remington i own a couple that have been in my family for longer than i have been alive. But there are some out there that are bone stock and will fire with the safety on all by its self or when the safety is switch on or off. Btw the one they own has a non adjustable trigger like most 700s.

Just posting this becouse i know it to be true. When you see it happen that takes the doubt outa my mind.

I saw in a NRA publication remington is being forced to fix all triggers back to the model 600,there is also a large class action being allowed against them. Any one with a sketchy rifle should check into this and get thiers fixed while they are doing it. The info is posted on page 91 of the JULY 2015 issue of NRA American Rifleman magazine...

artoter
07-05-15, 19:38
Had a model 700 ADL, that went back to the factory just three weeks after I had bought it. It was the first Remington I had bought. It took them 11 weeks to get the trigger recall fixed on mine. I never felt safe with it after that, so I traded it off on another rifle.

MistWolf
07-25-15, 23:49
I fixed all my Remington triggers many years ago by simply cleaning, lubricating and properly adjusting them. If you have a Remington trigger going off by itself it's because it needs cleaning, needs adjusting, or both

BigJoe
07-26-15, 05:27
Tikka and put it in a new stock. One of the nicest off the shelf actions i've ever used. If you ever wanted to have it built or rebarreled they make great customs too.

artoter
07-26-15, 19:49
I fixed all my Remington triggers many years ago by simply cleaning, lubricating and properly adjusting them. If you have a Remington trigger going off by itself it's because it needs cleaning, needs adjusting, or both

Yeah, well, I sent it back because I am no gunsmith and they sent me the notice and paid for it all. Not doubting what you are saying, personally don't think they did much to it at all, but still did not trust it after that. They said it had to do with too much of some kind of adhesive they put them together with.

texasgunhand
08-07-15, 22:45
Thanks for all the replys and advise.

JaegerOne
08-07-15, 23:46
Tikka T3 by Sako. If it fits you, you'll be happy you did.

Alphasig
08-08-15, 06:11
I would say a savage. I have a model 16 in 223 it's great shooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
08-08-15, 11:44
Tikka T3 has one of the smoothest action I have ever felt in a basic production rifle. Great guns. As far as caliber I'd recommend 7mm-08
http://sed88.tripod.com/rem7/

fedupflyer
08-08-15, 18:18
Tikka T3 has one of the smoothest action I have ever felt in a basic production rifle. Great guns. As far as caliber I'd recommend 7mm-08
http://sed88.tripod.com/rem7/

I concur.
I bought a Tikka T3 CTR a few months ago and it is a sub-MOA shooter right out of the box.

JaegerOne
08-12-15, 00:01
Although I highly recommend Tikka T3 rifles, you won't be able to buy one for less than $500.00.

titsonritz
08-12-15, 23:53
Not sure how I missed that requirement, in that case Savage is the way to go. Check out the youth models if she on the smaller side, they can be had in the combo kits which comes with a scope, mount and rings all set up. Another cool thing with Savage, the exterior barrel not allow an easy barrel/caliber swap with a few basic tools.

AFshirt
08-13-15, 12:16
I have a Stevens 200 for a hunting rifle. Basically a Savage 110 pre acutrigger. I put a Rifle Basix trigger in it and it shoots very well. I also have a 700 SPS tactical with a Timney in a LSS chassis that is light and recoil friendly.

artoter
08-16-15, 12:53

I don't blame you. I had a Remington 700 ADL, that was part of the trigger recall, and after I got it back I could never fully have faith in it...as far as the trigger goes. I traded it off on a Savage in .17HMR, and have had way more fun with that one, at a lesser cost in ammo, than I ever had with the Remmy.

gunnut284
08-22-15, 11:01
The Remington trigger was just fine unless it was monkeyed with and not cleaned. That said there are plenty of good choices if you want something else. Tikka, Howa, Ruger American, used Winchester.

fowler
09-02-15, 05:27
Upper end of the savage line.