PDA

View Full Version : Can Hollywood please stop...

Grand58742
01-28-15, 06:43
Trying to destroy the classics?

http://deadline.com/2015/01/chris-pratt-indiana-jones-guardians-of-the-galaxy-disney-1201360637/

EXCLUSIVE: Here’s one from the helluva good idea department. Marvel offerings are soaring, and Star Wars is being reinvigorated by director JJ Abrams. Now, Disney has just started to turn its attention to reviving the Indiana Jones franchise after buying the rights from Paramount in 2013. I’m cautioned that while things are very early, I hear the studio has set its sights on Chris Pratt as the swashbuckling archaeologist they hope to build the new franchise around, the role made famous by Harrison Ford in Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was bad enough. Leave the classic franchises alone.

Moose-Knuckle
01-28-15, 09:25
The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was bad enough. Leave the classic franchises alone.

It was said that Shia LaBeouf was supposed to be the franchise reboot since his character Mutt Williams is the son of our famous Dr. Jones. But to due its poor box office earnings those plans were shelved.

Movie studios are in business to make money, period. They own the rights to all these old films so they are going to keep remaking them or rebooting the franchises all together in hopes of making more money. Original stories are drying up. Other than novels they really have no where else to turn for new material.

M&P15T
01-28-15, 10:28
I'm to understand the real issue in Hollywood is "script trolling". "Writers" create a basic movie idea, and patent it so the movie can't be made without paying them tons of money. So basically every good idea for a movie is patented, and can't be made without taking a serious financial risk right off the bat.

I think we will see more Hollywood movies made over-seas, where the patent rights don't apply......if it works that way, I'm not sure.

And this is most certainly why we see movies made, re-made, re-booted, etc.

Talon167
01-28-15, 10:42
They'll stop doing it when they stop making money hand over fist... which is unlikely.

Doc Safari
01-28-15, 10:43
Actually, I've long hoped that Indiana Jones would become like James Bond: change lead actors every few years and keep the franchise fresh.

Crystal Skull was horrible as much for Harrison Ford's age as anything else. I also understand George Lucas was responsible for some of the poorer aspects of the story.

I welcome a reset.

WillBrink
01-28-15, 11:14
:cool:

http://www.gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/42d818e9ab4bdf53008595574dfbfb58.gif

nova3930
01-28-15, 14:11
The part that turned off people from Crystal Skull was shifting from the mystical aspect of the first 3 to "oh hey, aliens!" How many other fantastic myths and legends are out there that could make a fantastic Indy story and yet you use aliens....

Abraham
01-28-15, 14:20
No one is forced to watch movies.

docsherm
01-28-15, 16:09
No one is forced to watch movies.

My children are........

MountainRaven
01-28-15, 16:10
Oh no! Hollywood is planning to remake a series of movies based on pulp serials from the 30s and 40s!

And they're making sequels to movies based on pulp sci-fi from the 50s? Mehercules!

Seriously, though, the last Indiana Jones movie had aliens because it was based on the pulp serials of the 50s. And the earlier movies had mystical elements because those were in the pulp serials of the 30s and 40s. And both Star Wars and Indiana Jones are based on serials that George Lucas and Steven Spielberg enjoyed as kids. So there's not much originality involved - they're remixes. So remixing a remix doesn't seem that horrible to me.

JulyAZ
01-28-15, 16:12
Stop making remakes like the new ghostbusters....http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/28/f71c18e460cc8c8054cd3b3ff023c911.jpg

Savior 6
01-28-15, 16:38
Actually, I've long hoped that Indiana Jones would become like James Bond: change lead actors every few years and keep the franchise fresh.
Putting this way actually gives it a welcoming perspective. It might be nice to see it reinvigorated but I just don't see lead changes being as acceptable with the Jones series as it was with the Bond series.

docsherm
01-28-15, 16:44
Putting this way actually gives it a welcoming perspective. It might be nice to see it reinvigorated but I just don't see lead changes being as acceptable with the Jones series as it was with the Bond series.

I have to agree you you on this. The movies are good but I think that Harrison Ford made the movies. I am not sure if someone else could pull it off.

wildcard600
01-28-15, 17:12
Stop making remakes like the new ghostbusters....

so ... jennifer aniston, rosie o'donnel, claire danes and queen latifah ??

Doc Safari
01-28-15, 17:29
I have to agree you you on this. The movies are good but I think that Harrison Ford made the movies. I am not sure if someone else could pull it off.

I remember the outcry when Sean Connery stopped playing James Bond. Everyone thought it was the end of the series. No one can play Bond except Connery, and whatnot... People boycotted the first Roger Moore Bond flick out of protest.

Then time went on and people (especially a new generation) accepted Moore as Bond, and he went on to make a slew of James Bond films.

I see Indiana Jones the same way: older fans will cry "Foul!" but will eventually accept the inevitable, and we may get a damn good replacement actor playing the part.

I personally think the 'Star Trek' reboot is a travesty, but I'm willing to concede that you can't make "Classic Star Trek" with the original cast forever. How many have died now?

It's time to grow up and face reality that "the play's the thing." Shakespeare lives on because people accept different actors playing the parts. It's a time-honored tradition.

SteyrAUG
01-28-15, 17:53
Even though it was one of my favorite childhood memories, I stopped giving a damn when the prequels were made and the re edits of the originals were released. Much like the new version of Ghostbusters, these are all things I will simply ignore. I wish they would stop releasing crap, but Hollywood has been doing it for a LONG time now and they aren't going to stop anytime soon.

Savior 6
01-28-15, 18:23
Stop making remakes like the new ghostbusters....
I didn't believe this but stepped out to get some food and sure as s**t it was on the news. Horrible idea. Some movies/franchises need to be left alone. Maybe the way to get the younger crowds to appreciate this would be to remake their favs; I.E.- Scream, Final Destination, Twilight Crap.., etc.
Or would that just perpetuate the problem?

My children are........

LOL! Hell yes. If more parents did this then maybe we wouldn't have this problem. Younger crowds would have already an appreciation for the "parent" film.

If they DARE remake Goonies, I might just be done with 'em.

Peshawar
01-28-15, 18:26
It's not so much that there aren't new original ideas to make movies, it's that producers have taken far more creative control than they should. They are the money people. They get the cash, and hire the director. Problem is, that these suits are now wanting to be involved in the creative process. It's an area where they don't belong. Their role used to be keeping the director's vision from being financially impossible. Ergo, "We can't afford that shot. We need to shoot something we can afford here." Now, they want to have a say in how things happen creatively when they're not really artists. The money is the only thing they provide that's worthwhile, but they know they can force their changes and they take full advantage of it. They depend far too much on market research to determine what will be a "sure thing" vs. what will have lasting appeal. It sucks for many of us in the trenches because it's almost always a producer who decides to dumb things down to appeal more to the lowest common denominator. This is why movies which have good potential often fail. It's not so much that the creative people didn't want to make something good, it's that their hands get forced by the empty suits who control the cash. They think they know what you want to see, but often are just trying to justify their own presence any way they can and usually using really stupid reasons to do it, thereby making the picture less a product of the director's vision and more of a "process of committee".

Honu
01-28-15, 18:48
some movies are OK to remake that are not character actor driven IMHO at least :) the characters are more about the actor
Ghost Busters being one of them Bill Murray cant be replaced but instead they want him to play a part debunking the ghost busters ?

or some Robin Williams movies that were made like Mrs Doubtfire etc...

so imagine the Blues Brothers being remade ?

MountainRaven
01-28-15, 22:08
I remember the outcry when Sean Connery stopped playing James Bond. Everyone thought it was the end of the series. No one can play Bond except Connery, and whatnot... People boycotted the first Roger Moore Bond flick out of protest.

Then time went on and people (especially a new generation) accepted Moore as Bond, and he went on to make a slew of James Bond films.

I see Indiana Jones the same way: older fans will cry "Foul!" but will eventually accept the inevitable, and we may get a damn good replacement actor playing the part.

I personally think the 'Star Trek' reboot is a travesty, but I'm willing to concede that you can't make "Classic Star Trek" with the original cast forever. How many have died now?

It's time to grow up and face reality that "the play's the thing." Shakespeare lives on because people accept different actors playing the parts. It's a time-honored tradition.

They could have made more The Next Generation movies. Or maybe a Deep Space Nine or Voyager movie. Or they could do a new next generation, set it thirty or forty years (I was going to say twenty or thirty, but I realized that it has been twenty) after the destruction of the Enterprise-D. Get some actors from TNG, DS9, and/or VOY to do cameos like DeForest Kelley did for the pilot of TNG.

Don't get me wrong, I think they did pretty well with most of the cast of the new Star Trek. But I still don't like it. And the fact that Chris Pine is a horrible James T. Kirk (well, a horrible actor) and that they haven't gotten a good writer together with a good director.... Well, I'll stick with the classics.

jpmuscle
01-28-15, 22:15
Stop making remakes like the new ghostbusters....http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/28/f71c18e460cc8c8054cd3b3ff023c911.jpg

so ... jennifer aniston, rosie o'donnel, claire danes and queen latifah ??
What part are they casting for? Slimer?

Badump ba

t1tan
01-29-15, 01:41
What part are they casting for? Slimer?

Badump ba

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg456/t1tan19/Forums/imagejpg1_zpsd4431f3d.jpg

Abraham
01-29-15, 10:32
Movies aren't holy relics.

They're entertainment or not..., but calling for censorship because some favorite childhood movie is going to remade or remixed is plain silly.

Don't like the idea of a movie being made that's not to your liking?

Oh Boo Hoo!

You poor dear, mommy will get you some ice cream for your hurt feewings and then she wants to remind you're an adult and it's time you started acting like one...

JulyAZ
01-29-15, 11:16

They're entertainment or not..., but calling for censorship because some favorite childhood movie is going to remade or remixed is plain silly.

Oh Boo Hoo!

You poor dear, mommy will get you some ice cream for your hurt feewings and then she wants to remind you're an adult and it's time you started acting like one...

No need to be a dick.

Movie serve multiple purposes rather than just a form of entertainment, they really help people escape from their real life situations. It's a chance to forget your real life stressors or take a trip back to your childhood days. I love going to the movies, it's cheaper than a trip to the range.

Some people genuinely love movies, for whatever reason they may be.

People view remakes not just as a remake of a old movie, but rather as a insult to a work of art, albeit being made for a new generation is understandable. As long as it keeps the essence of the first, and themes the same.

It's a hobby like any other. Like sports, guns, cars, but there is no need to berate or belittle others because others feel strongly about it.

Im sure you're far from a perfect human being, be we aren't gonna insult you for you faults, that yes without know you, I am 100% sure you have.

Good day.

Abraham
01-29-15, 11:57
JulyAZ,

O.K. - So for you movies are holy relics!

To each his own...

To me, they're simply packaged entertainment and not worth getting bothered about.

If they stopped making movies today, I wouldn't be bothered in the least.

My deepest apologies for your butt hurt.

JulyAZ
01-29-15, 12:02
JulyAZ,

O.K. - So for you movies are holy relics!

To each his own...

To me, they're simply packaged entertainment and not worth getting bothered about.

If they stopped making movies today, I wouldn't be bothered in the least.

My deepest apologies for your butt hurt.

Lol you miss understand, no the are far from holy relics.

What I'm trying to make understood, is if you don't understand it, or view it objectively, then don't bash others for it. It's like the gun grabbers they don't understand it or try to view it from a different stand point, so they want to ban them.

Ignorance is bliss.

Abraham
01-29-15, 12:53
JulyAZ,

Curmudgeon that I am, it's difficult for me to resist mocking that, that others sometimes seem to find so very important, but to me is simply ludicrously laughable.

Cancer research is important.

Movies, not so much...

You posted: "It's like the gun grabbers they don't understand it or try to view it from a different stand point, so they want to ban them."

I find that hilarious, considering so many overly serious movie fans want to ban movies they deem sacrilegious when compared to their beloved "original" movie. I find that screamingly funny!

But, yes, I do get it to a certain degree.

Some people go bonkers over "Beanie Babies" while others collect "Hummel" figurines.

For these folks, such hobbies are wildly important, like movies...

SteyrAUG
01-29-15, 17:24
JulyAZ,

Curmudgeon that I am, it's difficult for me to resist mocking that, that others sometimes seem to find so very important, but to me is simply ludicrously laughable.

Do you feel the same about other people who grant other forms of media (such as books) greater significance than entertainment value?

Inkslinger
01-29-15, 19:51
JulyAZ,

Cancer research is important.

Movies, not so much...

You posted: "It's like the gun grabbers they don't understand it or try to view it from a different stand point, so they want to ban them."

I find that hilarious, considering so many overly serious movie fans want to ban movies they deem sacrilegious when compared to their beloved "original" movie. I find that screamingly funny!

But, yes, I do get it to a certain degree.

Some people go bonkers over "Beanie Babies" while others collect "Hummel" figurines.

For these folks, such hobbies are wildly important, like movies...
Some people get bent about showing receipts at Walmart. Can you believe that?

Moose-Knuckle
01-29-15, 23:47
Some people get bent about showing receipts at Walmart. Can you believe that?

:lol:

For those that didn't get that . . .
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?162634-Ever-Get-Asked-For-Your-Receipt-Before-Leaving-Walmart

Savior 6
01-30-15, 01:12

Oh Boo Hoo!

LOL! Awesome even though I realize I'm one of those you are speaking too.

BoringGuy45
01-30-15, 16:06

Oh Boo Hoo!

Come on, man. Just because some of us are groaning and rolling our eyes at Hollywood ruining iconic movies doesn't mean we're about to protest it in the streets or bomb a movie studio. It just gives us shit to talk about.

Now on that note: The reboot thing has gotten out of control. I can understand rebooting a movie franchise that was popular once but is now dated; take the original story and update it so that modern audiences will be able to better relate. I can understand rebooting a movie that had a good concept but horrible writing; The 2008 reboot of The Incredible Hulk is a good example, and Edward Norton did a good job salvaging the franchise after Ang Lee nearly ruined it 5 years prior.

What I can't understand is rebooting a movie that is not dated, not irrelevant, and was excellent through and through the first time, ala Raiders of the Lost Ark. I also can't understand rebooting movie franchises that are less than 10 years old AND were critically acclaimed! For example, Spiderman and Spiderman 2 are both considered among the best superhero movies of all time. Not more than 10 years later they came out with The Amazing Spiderman. Why?? Because too many eternal virgins living in their parents' basements didn't like the minor deviations from the comic book? I understood rebooting Batman with the Dark Knight trilogy as the Batman series of the late 80s to mid-90s had gotten really bad after Batman Returns, but Spiderman had barely gone from theater to DVD before they were talking about rebooting it.

Hollywood in general has just sucked lately. I haven't been excited for a movie in a LONG time, and that really just blows.

MountainRaven
01-30-15, 20:06
The Amazing Spiderman and its sequel were made by Sony in order to do two things:

1- Cash in on the Marvel money parade.
2- Keep the rights to make Spiderman movies from reverting to Marvel and thus to Marvel Studios, which is owned and operated by Disney.

Most of the guys who like the Spiderman comics dislike Sony's The Amazing Spiderman movies because of the liberties they have taken with the source material - and love the original Toby Maguire Spiderman movies.

Same reason Fox is still making X-Men movies and a reboot of The Fantastic Four.

And to return tit for tat, Marvel (the comics - still owned by Disney) will be downplaying the importance of Spiderman, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four going forward in new story arcs.