PDA

View Full Version : Sons Of Liberty

WillBrink
01-28-15, 08:40
Anyone watch this 3 part series on the History Channel? It was fairly well done, but as expected, they took some liberties with the historical accuracy. Still, if it gets people interested in US history, all good in my view.

Onyx Z
01-28-15, 09:39
I really wanted to watch this, but missed it. I heard it was really good. I wonder if it will be on Hulu or Netflix?

nova3930
01-28-15, 10:07
I've got them all on DVR but have only watched the first. It was entertaining but it was "history" and not history.

cwgibson
01-28-15, 10:18
I will start watching it tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JulyAZ
01-28-15, 10:55
I thought it was great compared to other mini series they've done, but imo they took way too much creative liberties in making it.

Smash
01-28-15, 11:08
Well the History Channel at least let's you know what's important; First "Sons of Liberty" and on Memorial Day "Texas Rising".... Basically America happened and then Texas was the next most important thing. :cool:

WillBrink
01-28-15, 11:21
I thought it was great compared to other mini series they've done, but imo they took way too much creative liberties in making it.

But did they capture they essential aspects of the major events for a modern audience? It seems they did a decent job all things considered. I always prefer a good historical biography vs a fictionalized historical drama, but as they go, I thought they did well. I could see having kids watch this, then the lesson plan would be to discuss what they got right, and what they didn't for example. I had a teacher do that with A Bridge Too Far, and it worked really well for making dumb kids interested in WWII history.

Onyx Z
01-28-15, 11:30
Well the History Channel at least let's you know what's important; First "Sons of Liberty" and on Memorial Day "Texas Rising".... Basically America happened and then Texas was the next most important thing. :cool:

BOOM! America > Texas > Everything Else.

Averageman
01-28-15, 12:07

Well then, at least they got the important part right.
I liked it to a degree, but did they have to sex it up to make anyone interested in History? The thing is the actual founding of our Nation is so interesting already why not keep the fiction out of it and tell the real story?
They could have done a lot better, made it a six part series and educated some folks, instead we got this. I would guess though that this is somewhat better than nothing and perhaps someone will open a book and actually read up on it.

brickboy240
01-28-15, 15:35
Right now....if Texas left...we'd have no more America.

Flankenstein
01-28-15, 15:45

hahaha...yea.

JulyAZ
01-28-15, 16:05

We will let Texas go as long as you revoke Jerry Jones travel Visa, and keep him in Texas.

Texas keeps that kid in the divorce. We don't want him.

Flankenstein
01-28-15, 16:07
People in TX tend to be delusional about their own freedom..Last I checked you guys weren't totting legal (unregistered) FAs and SBRs/SBSs...You guys can't even OC pistols.

JulyAZ
01-28-15, 16:10
People in TX tend to be delusional about their own freedom..Last I checked you guys weren't totting legal (unregistered) FAs and SBRs/SBSs...You guys can't even OC pistols.

They OC in Texas, remember?...(though not pistols)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/28/920ce7313235fba492d976906873660a.jpg

Flankenstein
01-28-15, 16:21

I specifically said pistols.

Flankenstein
01-28-15, 16:21
Sorry for the derail! I've heard mixed things about the series..haven't seen it yet myself.

Hmac
01-28-15, 16:30

They do OC pistols in Minnesota.....;)

themonk
01-28-15, 16:47
I thought they did a great job and I thought it had a good cast. I hope they continue the journey through the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

My teenage nephews dug it so thats a plus! There was a lot of googling people and places which helped to reinforce the message.

Onyx Z
01-28-15, 16:51

What state can you have legal unregistered FA's and SBR's?

Flankenstein
01-28-15, 17:07
What state can you have legal unregistered FA's and SBR's?

None- which is my point.

wildcard600
01-28-15, 17:08
TEXAS !!! .... cause.... ummmm .... 'merica ?

Big A
01-28-15, 18:08
Overall I liked it. I thought it was entertaining and well done even with the far reaching embellishments and liberties taken.
I really enjoyed the way Raffe Spall played John Hancock, of all the characters I think he stole the show with how dainty and unaccustomed to getting his hands dirty he made him.

Two things that really bugged me were the head shots with muskets on the scurrying red coats at Barrett's farm. And Dean Norris as Ben Franklin using the term "bat shit crazy" as if it was common parlance of the well to do in the 18th century.

Honu
01-28-15, 19:48
http://www.history.com/shows/sons-of-liberty/videos

I really wanted to watch this, but missed it. I heard it was really good. I wonder if it will be on Hulu or Netflix?

Onyx Z
01-28-15, 21:03
None- which is my point.

I totally missed that one... :o

MountainRaven
01-28-15, 23:35

Texas left America once.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/Jagdraben/pup_zps4zymaypj.jpg

Once.

Kokopelli
01-29-15, 01:17
It was great! I'm lookinh forward to the Texas thing.. loved it..

Leaveammoforme
01-31-15, 02:34
Delete

ramairthree
01-31-15, 11:58
Overall I liked it. I thought it was entertaining and well done even with the far reaching embellishments and liberties taken.
I really enjoyed the way Raffe Spall played John Hancock, of all the characters I think he stole the show with how dainty and unaccustomed to getting his hands dirty he made him.

Two things that really bugged me were the head shots with muskets on the scurrying red coats at Barrett's farm. And Dean Norris as Ben Franklin using the term "bat shit crazy" as if it was common parlance of the well to do in the 18th century.

Yes,
I do believe the more accurate term in that time frame would have been:

Crazy as a shit house rat.

Kokopelli
01-31-15, 17:19
Good entertainment.. Some of the best I've watched in some time. Liberties were taken, but overall well done..